Roll Call
0 members (), 60 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
So if the "old" Legion comes back? What do you want?
#202 06/05/07 12:28 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
OVER TIME I would want all the later members like XS, Gates, Dragonmage, etc.

Within the first year a wedding! I vote for Jo & Tinya. But would be happy with Star Boy and Dream Girl.

Update some of the names. Make some of the Boy/Lad names Man. Same with some Girl/Lass to Woman maybe? Also use some of the ZH names. I want Ultra Man! Maybe Sun Boy as Inferno? Element Lad stays Element Lad, etc. wink

Re: So if the "old" Legion comes back? What do you want?
#203 06/05/07 01:06 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
See, instead of that, I'd rather have several versions of the Legion in different futures or different worlds, and have them diverge rather than converge. So we could have four different Legions, let's say:

- old-school-style Legion
- Waid-and-Kitson Legion
- reboot/DnA Legion
- Five-Years-Later+SW6 Legion

all with different memberships, all used to tell different kinds of stories. I don't know where all these stories would appear, mind you...

#204 06/05/07 01:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I don't know where all these stories would appear, mind you...
How about in "Confusing Continuities Quarterly?" wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#205 06/05/07 01:10 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Definitely switch to "Adult Legion" codenames. No post-ZH, though. "Man/Woman" all the way! I wish they were already using them in the JSA/JLA crossover.

Later members can join as a "Teen Auxillary".

Superman as a (part-time) member!

A definitive history of the team in current continuity.

#206 06/05/07 01:26 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Oh, and annual team-ups between the new "old" Legion and the other two.

#207 06/05/07 01:46 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I'd like to see one-to-two issue stories dealing with a handful of Legionnaires at a time, then the next story with a different set, and so on. Spread them around the universe on different missions. Have them ALL back - Quislet, Tyroc, Chemical King, Quantum Queen, Kid Quantum, Gates, XS, etc.

Once every year or two have them deal with an event (or villain) requiring the whole team together. And have Superman and/or Supergirl join in for those!

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#208 06/05/07 02:13 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I like Kid Quislet pacing/plotting ideas.

C'mon, EDE...Phantom Woman just doesn't sound good. wink Apparition all the way.

I always thought for new members they should give them initiation names. After a set time they get to choose their own codenames...or keep the one they have.

I guess a codename debate would be another thread. smile But "Woman" isn't as catchy as Man in superhero codenames. I know there is Lady as well but some of the ZH names were pretty good.

#209 06/05/07 02:49 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Okay, I admit that "Phantom Lady" sounds better than "Phantom Woman". smile

But, I kind of like Shadow Woman better than Shadow Lady, so maybe they can trade.

I dig Saturn Woman and Light Lady, though. And I *dare* anyone to come up with a cooler sounding name than Duo Dame!

#210 06/05/07 03:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I dunno... the Lad/Lass thing is part of the Legion's charm for me. I don't think I would like reading about Colossal Man, Lightning Man and Triplicate Woman. I guess it's probably a nostalgia thing, but to me it just wouldn't be the same.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#211 06/05/07 03:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
And I *dare* anyone to come up with a cooler sounding name than Duo Dame!
What about "Double D"? wink

#212 06/05/07 03:42 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Okay, I admit that "Phantom Lady" sounds better than "Phantom Woman". smile
"Phantom Lady" is already taken: the Freedom Fighters (assuming some version of them is still alive).

The problem with using "Lady" and "Lord" is that it implies nobility. The name worked for Lightning Lord, as Mekt was always rather full of himself. But "Element Lord," for example, creates the wrong impression.

(...unless the UP establishes a noble class and creates the Legionnaires as peers. That would make sense, but it might seem kind of awkward to view our heroes as aristocrats.)

For Adult Legion codenames, I would prefer to go with the creative legacy of the reboot: "Apparition," "Leviathan" (which worked for Gim more than for for Vi), "Dreamer," etc. Those names convey what they are supposed to convey without being age- or even gender-specific.

(However, do discard "Live Wire" -- ugh!)

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#213 06/05/07 03:46 PM
As to what I would like to see if the old Legion returned: I would rather they pick up right from the end of "The Magic Wars." Keep Superboy and Supergirl as part of the Legion's history (and no bloody pocket universe, either!), and chart a new course that may or may not involve the "Five Years Later" but does a better job of telling the stories that led up to that era.

#214 06/05/07 04:55 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Keep them in their 20's for a loooooooooooooong time!

New stories! New villains!

I've love to somehow get Gates into the first Legion continuity.

I'm glad that a living Karate Kid could be included in a Sensor Girl Legion.

The codenames don't bother me either way. While I think some reboot names were cool (Triad), some of them were just HORRIBLE (Umbra, Spark).

I really would love to read about the first Legion again. With Wildfire, Dawny, Mysa and many other missing Legionnaires. I would really prefer to have reboot-Legion concepts incorporated into the the preboot Legion (not retroactively though) rather than read about multiple Legions. So, Gates & Kid Quantum could join as later members. Other than finding a way to rope in some continuity-lost members, I'd prefer if continuity confusions were never referred to again.

#215 06/05/07 05:01 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Honestly, when it comes down to it, I'd prefer to have elements from later 'boots added on to a single Legion continuity that takes as its foundation the basic structure of the pre-Crisis Legion history rather than have multiple Legions running around myself.

I can see why that might not be the preferred solution for many people, though.

#216 06/05/07 05:03 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I agree I prefer Shadow Woman to Umbra any day of the week. Light(ning) Lass/lady? Phantom Woman? Ok, that one and Triad I just prefer...but I guess she won't use Triad any more.

I just prefer a few of the ZH names. Plus the new kids can be kids, boys, lass'.

#217 06/05/07 05:09 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Cobalt, I also agree have them in their twenties forever. The only ones they really showed getting "old" were the founders. And even then they were in what? Their late twenties/early thirties?

I would marry off Cos and Night Girl for sure. I mean the Subs at the wedding is a story onto itself.

#218 06/05/07 05:26 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Ooh... actually, I kind of like "Phase" as a name for the adult Phantom Girl...

#219 06/05/07 05:33 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Okay... so my ultimate ideal way to bring the "old" Legion back would be to open up the story with something like "Another Five Years Later".

The Adventure Era Legionnaires would be about forty, but "feel" thirty, thanks to their merging with their younger temporal duplicates five years earlier.

What happened between "End of an Era" and the new series? I'd base the events of the intervening years roughly on the post-ZH Legion stories, and figure out a way to retcon the WaK Legion stories in as well, creating a grand unified history that would probably only serve to piss everybody off.

#220 06/05/07 05:39 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I like the more grown-up names. In the 20th century, Robin grew up and changed his name to Nightwing. In the 30th, Phantom Girl and Shadow Lass grew up and changed their names to Apparition and Umbra. It's all good to me.

I'm also a big fan of the partially grown-up team having some adult relationships and marriages and even a kid (in the case of Garth and Imra, but *not* Jo and Tinya, at least not as presented with 'Cub').

The JSA/JLA team-up shows an established Legion, with history, which I only like if it's a history that, for the most part, I've seen already. Probably the hardest part for me about the WaK reboot is not ever knowing the character's backstories (only knowing that they were sometimes very different, as in the case with Triplicate Girl or Element Lad), and now, seeming very unlikely to ever learn them.

If the team is going to have a lot of differences, like Karate Kid being alive while Sensor Girl is active, then I want to at least get some sort of heads up as to why this is so (it is said that the founders did something to save his life, so I'm fine with that. It doesn't even sound like a retcon, so much as something happened between the last time we saw them and now to 'save' Karate Kid).

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing new blood join the team, and that new blood including some of the more fun characters from other Legions, including Kid Quantum II and Gates, both of whom were fun characters.

I also enjoyed the 'power creep' that occurred over many years. Shadow Lass was shown blotting out a star at one point, Saturn Girl telepathically coordinated city-wide evacuations with her brain, while Element Lad changed the atmosphere of a planet. These are legendary heroes, worthy to be traveling in the company of Daxamites and Kryptonians, in some cases the most powerful and skilled examples of entire species of millions, or even *billions* of members. None of this, "I can transmute something I can touch. For 60 seconds..." crap.

So it was a joy to see Sensor Girl, alone and disoriented, pretty much single-handedly stymie the JLA and JSA. Dr. Midnight is all, 'But I have infrared vision!' and Superman is, 'Well, yeah, but that's *what she does,* so accept that she's gonna be good at it...'

I'm a little more ambiguous about situations where a characters powers are changed to make them more useful, such as the WaK reboot and Superboy's Legion's takes on Shadow Lasses powers. (I loved it in Superboy's Legion, since it was explicity spelled out, but found it very annoying in the WaK threeboot, since she was shown blocking Sun Boy's fire blast with it during the inter-Legion bickerfest, and later again shown blasting someone in the gut with it and hurting them, despite it *never being stated* that she was anything other than Lights Out Lass. Grr...) Quite a few Legionnaires could use some power-tweakage, and, particularly the femmes, who got a pretty raw deal (and mostly passive 'girly' powers) back in the day. Quite a few male Legionnaires have been tweaked downward (with Star Boy and Wildfire having lost *massive* amounts of power since their introductions), and I wouldn't mind at all Shadow Lass or Triplicate Girl getting a leg up. (Imagine Triplicate Girl's powers ramping up and allowing her to be more like Madrox!) Karate Kid would remain an exception. His ability to be competitive with skill instead of power is very much the point, in his case. smile

Light Lass to Lightning Lass and Projectra to Sensor Girl are more 'organic' transitions that I'm good with. Given that it was 'Naltorian science' that gave Ayla her Light Lass powers, I would be thrilled to see 'Naltorian science' give them instead to Thom, to complement his 'make stuff heavy' power, while Ayla sticks to throwing lightning around, since they've pretty much abandoned the old 'can't have two people with the same powers' rule anyway to allow people like Superboy, Supergirl and Mon-El to all be members.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#221 06/05/07 06:26 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I like them being powerful myself. The examples you gave were perfect Set.

#222 06/05/07 07:03 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think Phantom Lady's pretty suitable for Tinya, given that she's the daughter of a woman who's been president in more than one continuity.

How about Shady Lady for Tasmia?

I'd like to see a Lyle Norg who's of the same ages as his peers and has the ultra-observant spy thing going on. And the applied science background.

In short, reboot Lyle inserted into whatever continuity's going to be ongoing.

#223 06/05/07 07:41 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Hmm... I could get used to "Shady Lady"...

#224 06/05/07 07:57 PM
Why not "Shlady" for short?

#225 06/05/07 07:59 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I'd like to keep the Core membership to about 16 or so with the remaining Legionaires becoming the Subs for the group like say if Jo's on a special mission or on leave call in Lar to cover for him and maybe they can have their own Adventures from time to time,As for the re-boot Zero Hour characters the Legion Academy looks like a good place to re-introduce them think of them as the New Mutants to the Legions X-Men,as for the 5YG characters mix and match them up with the Heroes of Lallor and the Wanderers to form The New Wanderers,Also I would like to see Dave Cockrum's original idea for Tyr as the leader of a group of Bounty Hunters using some characters from the original Legion's continuity.

Hey thats 5 titles I'd buy every month 6 if they published the original Legion bi-weekly.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#226 06/05/07 09:01 PM
K
Applicant
Applicant
K
You know, this is a much harder question to answer than I original anticipated. I wouldn't keep a single thing so far from the 3Boot, but there are definitely aspects of the reboot that I loved. Gates and XS being the main bits.

What would I really do? Hmm, I think I would restart the book again, right after the ZH Merge of the Adult Legion and SW6. I would have them un-combine ... but, due to the fluctuations of the time stream, I would have dead Legionnaires come back to life, and have SW6 copies of more of them.

So, basically, I'd like the adult Legion with dead members back ... and a young SW6 Legion with more members as well as new members such as Gates and XS ... that way you could have the Gates/Brainiac 5 friendship without having to retcon it back to the beginning of the team. And XS could join to honor her mom who was killed in the Dominator Invasion.

Of course, I would also make SW6 take place at the brand new Legion Academy, and thats where all the new team members would go to train. Basically, the SW6 Legion book would be the Legion version of "Generation X", which I would read in a heartbeat ... and it would occassionally cross over with the adult Legion. But, mostly, they'd have their own stories.

This is the way that DC should have taken it, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,974
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Eryk Davis Ester
Eryk Davis Ester
Liberty City
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star