Roll Call
2 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Comics_Archeology), 54 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 03:29 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Re: 2013 LW Gathering: Destination Chi-town
#215130 07/16/12 03:27 PM
Leader
Leader
Sounds like a plan, Ex. That'll work out great. I hope it's not a dump.

As for three nights, I'd be up for that. It could very well still be cheaper than two nights anywhere else we wind up.

#215131 07/16/12 04:08 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Oh I know it's nowhere near finalized, that's why I considered it just a running tally of where people stand so far. I had an idea that would require such data.

Now with this group, if you promise naked time I think you can be assured you won't be alone.

I'm pretty sure by "sleeps 10" it meant two in each of the four bedrooms and two on the sofa bed in the living room.

#215132 07/18/12 11:51 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You da man, Ex!

Barring any unforeseen life dramas, I am reasonably definite.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#215133 07/20/12 08:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Put me down as reasonably definite also. At this point it appears like I will get there via "mega-bus" so I may need help escaping from/to the bus station? Will we be downtown? Oh there's so many things I don't know! A cocktail will soothe my jangled nerves...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#215134 07/20/12 09:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm a reasonably definite as well.

Worst case for me is that I get there really early one day and head home that night. I've done the drive before and while tough, I can hack it if I cannot afford an overnight.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#215135 07/20/12 09:24 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:
Will we be downtown?
I'm heading into Chicago tomorrow and I'll be checking out the proposed lodge site. A quick google mapping shows:

click to enlarge

... that it's about 2 miles as the crow flies from Navy Pier (which is pretty much dead center north to south of all the "cool stuff" - Sears Tower, Art Institute, etc.)

My wife and I took a trip to Chicago about ten years back. I think we stayed right around the same area, and not once did we wind up taking a taxi or anything, we just wandered on foot. So, depending what anyone wanted to do, I think it's fairly well located.

You bring up a good point about vehicles, though - I do have to scout out the parking situation.

I don't know how many cars we'd be looking at but I, at least, would be making a road trip out of it (by way of Louisville to see a buddy... you know who you are smile ) so, at a bare minimum there would be at least one vehicle for ferrying.

So, like I say - I'll get the lay of the land tomorrow and have a lot more detail on Monday.

#215136 07/23/12 09:15 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Okey-doke...

I did a little weekend reconnaissance of the proposed lodging (called the North Side Suites) and here's the skinny:

1. Location:

Though the building is fairly close to Lincoln Park, it is actually classified as being in the neighborhood called, "Old Town". It is on the corner of Sedgwick and Eugenie streets in a very quiet neighborhood (it's across the street from a playground). If I had to describe what I think the neighborhood most looks like I'd say, "Sesame Street" - that sort of series of adjacent brownstones, but very clean.

It is a block away from North Ave - which is a main drag - and walking around a two block radius from there, I saw quite a few restaurants, coffee shops, and retail stores - so sort of a mid-level city street (that is to say, not downtown, but bordering).

Although I was correct in saying that this was the area my wife and I had lodged, I think I might be overstating the "walkability" to the downtown area. It is not so much the distance (as stated before, about two miles to Navy Pier) but more the constraints of weather. I think my wife and I had gone in late October, so it was quite a bit cooler. When I was there Saturday it was about 85 degrees and, strolling around the neighborhood, it definitely felt it. Add on another month (if we are talking mid-August) and I don't think anybody's going to be wanting to do a two mile city hike.

That being said, this location is just two blocks from a Metro stop and right on a bus line. Add the fact I was planning on having a vehicle, anyway, and I think transport to the tourist sites is not a problem. Speaking of vehicles, that brings us to:

2. Parking

On street parking, in plain view of all of the suites. I had no problem parking right in front of the building at about 4PM on a Saturday. As I mentioned before, the playground across the street seems to open up quite a few spots, as there is an entire corner of non-residential space.

3. Set up and Ameneties

So, what it is is basically a 4 story apartment suite. There are 4 units, the previous discussed "sleeps ten", and then 3 other "sleeps six".

All of them have cable and wifi, and there is a shared laundry room. All of them have full kitchens and outdoor patios with grills. The individual suites vary on the number and size of the beds, so here are the individual breakdowns (Q = queen, D = Double, SS= Pull-out Sofa) along with the specific web pages:

OT11-1r - 700 sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-1r.asp

1Q, 1D, SS

Max Occupancy 6

OT11-2- 900 sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-2.asp

2Q, SS

Max Occupancy 6

OT11-3- 1200 sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-3.asp

2Q, SS

Max Occupancy 6

OT11-1f- 1700sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-1f.asp

3Q, 1D, SS

Max Occupancy 10

So, overall, max capacity of 28. If we wind up deciding that this is the place for us, dependant on how many folks wind up commiting - and what their comfort level with sharing a room - it will likely behoove us to get multiple suites.

Obviously, if there is a female contingent (I know FC and Fanfie had mentioned they were possibilities) I would suggest either unit 2 or 3 specifically for them.

Sheep are not allowed (Sorry, Cobie).

4. Planning Schedule

So I spoke with the Management regarding reservations, and he said that booking for next August wouldn't open up until this coming November.

All four suites were currently occupied when I was there this past weekend. I actually ran into a family who was currently booked - A mother, father and two kids, on their way back from shopping. I chatted with the father for a bit and he said he was very satisfied with the lodging - remarking that it was quiet and very clean.

The Management said that although this month was fully booked, next month had several open weeks. I don't know if that is predictive for next August - but I imagine it would likely be a similar situation.

5. Next Steps

So, as I say, this was just an intial forray into one possibilty. Since we have about three months before intial bookings even begin for August, I figure we should open up the discussion again about whether this is the route we'd like to go.

It does seem conveniently located - close enough to downtown while still maintaining a nice separation, and very reasonably priced for the ameneties when divided across multiple people. Dependant upon personal preferences, the downside is the sort of "shared living" for a few days with other people, but, of course, moving in this direction is no preclusion to anyone opting out of the group plan and just getting their own hotel.

So...

You all have the floor, what are your thoughts?

#215137 07/23/12 09:43 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I personally think it sounds pretty much as close to ideal for a group like us as anything will ever get.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#215138 07/23/12 10:03 AM
strange but not a stranger
From my experiences in Dallas and San Diego, it is better to have everyone in the same building.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#215139 07/23/12 10:13 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah, me in a strange city, I wanna be around people I know or at least know OF. smile

#215140 07/23/12 11:45 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I want to be in the party room.

#215141 07/23/12 02:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Roomies! wink

I'll bring the reality tv crew ... ha!

Hopefully, I can make it, A weekend sounds reasonable though.

Those places look really nice!

#215142 07/23/12 02:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Will Cobie circa 2004 ... make an appearance ? eek

#215143 07/23/12 02:34 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Just carrying this over from the previous page:

Originally posted by Exnihil:

Okey-doke...

I did a little weekend reconnaissance of the proposed lodging (called the North Side Suites) and here's the skinny:

1. Location:

Though the building is fairly close to Lincoln Park, it is actually classified as being in the neighborhood called, "Old Town". It is on the corner of Sedgwick and Eugenie streets in a very quiet neighborhood (it's across the street from a playground). If I had to describe what I think the neighborhood most looks like I'd say, "Sesame Street" - that sort of series of adjacent brownstones, but very clean.

It is a block away from North Ave - which is a main drag - and walking around a two block radius from there, I saw quite a few restaurants, coffee shops, and retail stores - so sort of a mid-level city street (that is to say, not downtown, but bordering).

Although I was correct in saying that this was the area my wife and I had lodged, I think I might be overstating the "walkability" to the downtown area. It is not so much the distance (as stated before, about two miles to Navy Pier) but more the constraints of weather. I think my wife and I had gone in late October, so it was quite a bit cooler. When I was there Saturday it was about 85 degrees and, strolling around the neighborhood, it definitely felt it. Add on another month (if we are talking mid-August) and I don't think anybody's going to be wanting to do a two mile city hike.

That being said, this location is just two blocks from a Metro stop and right on a bus line. Add the fact I was planning on having a vehicle, anyway, and I think transport to the tourist sites is not a problem. Speaking of vehicles, that brings us to:

2. Parking

On street parking, in plain view of all of the suites. I had no problem parking right in front of the building at about 4PM on a Saturday. As I mentioned before, the playground across the street seems to open up quite a few spots, as there is an entire corner of non-residential space.

3. Set up and Ameneties

So, what it is is basically a 4 story apartment suite. There are 4 units, the previous discussed "sleeps ten", and then 3 other "sleeps six".

All of them have cable and wifi, and there is a shared laundry room. All of them have full kitchens and outdoor patios with grills. The individual suites vary on the number and size of the beds, so here are the individual breakdowns (Q = queen, D = Double, SS= Pull-out Sofa) along with the specific web pages:

OT11-1r - 700 sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-1r.asp

1Q, 1D, SS

Max Occupancy 6

OT11-2- 900 sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-2.asp

2Q, SS

Max Occupancy 6

OT11-3- 1200 sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-3.asp

2Q, SS

Max Occupancy 6

OT11-1f- 1700sq

http://www.athomeinnchicago.com/Old-Town-Accommodations2/ot11-1f.asp

3Q, 1D, SS

Max Occupancy 10

So, overall, max capacity of 28. If we wind up deciding that this is the place for us, dependant on how many folks wind up commiting - and what their comfort level with sharing a room - it will likely behoove us to get multiple suites.

Obviously, if there is a female contingent (I know FC and Fanfie had mentioned they were possibilities) I would suggest either unit 2 or 3 specifically for them.

Sheep are not allowed (Sorry, Cobie).

4. Planning Schedule

So I spoke with the Management regarding reservations, and he said that booking for next August wouldn't open up until this coming November.

All four suites were currently occupied when I was there this past weekend. I actually ran into a family who was currently booked - A mother, father and two kids, on their way back from shopping. I chatted with the father for a bit and he said he was very satisfied with the lodging - remarking that it was quiet and very clean.

The Management said that although this month was fully booked, next month had several open weeks. I don't know if that is predictive for next August - but I imagine it would likely be a similar situation.

5. Next Steps

So, as I say, this was just an intial forray into one possibilty. Since we have about three months before intial bookings even begin for August, I figure we should open up the discussion again about whether this is the route we'd like to go.

It does seem conveniently located - close enough to downtown while still maintaining a nice separation, and very reasonably priced for the ameneties when divided across multiple people. Dependant upon personal preferences, the downside is the sort of "shared living" for a few days with other people, but, of course, moving in this direction is no preclusion to anyone opting out of the group plan and just getting their own hotel.

So...

You all have the floor, what are your thoughts?

#215144 07/23/12 05:00 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I like it, and at this time, short of actually having dates and committing to them, I plan to be there.

Have we started talking about how many nights yet? I would like to arrive on a Thurs to spend at least three nights, though I can find another place for the first night if we don't all want to spend that much time in Chicago.

For me, I don't want to fly anywhere for only two nights. If it's someplace I've already been to and all the kinks are worked out fine, but otherwise two nights is essentially one day, with one day arriving and the other departing.

#215145 07/23/12 05:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm down with 3 nights... of course most of it depends on the mysterious "mega-bus" I keep being told about...

#215146 07/23/12 06:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Three is a resonable number. I might consider longer, as well.

Even if most people wind up deciding on three nights and we rent all four units, there is nothing to stop a handful of us who might want to make a week of it from renting one of those units for a longer bit.

I for one want to hit the Darcy McNickle library, but i do not imagine everyone does, or that it would be part of meet-up time.

#215147 07/24/12 12:53 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Hey Lash, Boys Town is just 2 miles north of the apartment, so at least one drink has to be there.

#215148 07/24/12 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
I for one want to hit the Darcy McNickle library, but i do not imagine everyone does, or that it would be part of meet-up time.
I thought the reason we picked Chicago was because of the Darcy McNickle Library. wink

#215149 07/24/12 05:01 AM
3-4 nights sounds just right.

#215150 07/24/12 08:38 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I googled it but can't say I understand the attraction to the D'arcy McNickle Library for this group as a whole. Did I miss something comic, Legion, or future-related there? smile

#215151 07/24/12 09:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
No. That's why i said it probably Wouldn't hold group sppeal.

#215152 07/24/12 12:39 PM
And I was teasing Kent

#215153 07/24/12 05:34 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Ah. Well stranger things have happened so I had to ask.

#215154 07/24/12 06:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
No worries. Internet communiction is all about the disconnect between a writer's intentions and how it is interpreted!

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,258
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Elvis Lad
Elvis Lad
Hollywood, Ca
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star