Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Your two titles for a desert island
#244619 08/04/11 06:17 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
No, I never read Young Justice. A quick check on Wikipedia revealed that it started in 1998, a time when I was winding my way back into the Legion after an absence and had otherwise scaled back my comics purchases. I had no time or interest in another youthful super-team.

I'm often wrong about such things, though. The Hulk never appealed to me as a character (apart from his interaction with the other Defenders), but his book has at times been intelligently written and emotionally satisfying. Issue 226, which I mentioned above, was written by Roger Stern, who has the Hulk visiting his (Banner's) old college campus and confronting some past emotional demons. Annual 13, written by Bill Mantlo, is a moving piece about the need for friends. Writers like Stern, Mantlo, and PAD can take seemingly unpromising concepts and spin gold around them.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#244620 08/04/11 06:25 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'd have to go LSH (of course!)

second choice is tough, but I think Alpha Flight gets to go

#244621 08/04/11 06:28 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Arguably, PAD's Young Justice was the book that the various reboots of the Legion (and, for that matter, the various reboots of the Titans) SHOULD have been but rarely were.

The first year of PAD's YJ is a bit frivolous and some of the jokes are groaners (although they come so thick and fast that the duds are excusable), but it really turns a corner with issue #15. Cissie, Anita, Cassie, and Suzie/Greta, and Cissie and Cassie's mothers were some of the most believeable female characters ever seen in a superhero comic. The whole run is never less than worth reading, and it should have been much longer than just 55 issues. It seems to me the whole reason it was cancelled was because the DiDiot just didn't GET it, which I think says a lot about the DiDiot.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#244622 08/04/11 08:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
1. Legion of Super-Heroes- Probably Three-Boot simply because that's when I discovered Legion. Elysion is mine. Looking back, while the plot was sometimes lacking the characterization was excellant.

2.Fantastic Four- Kirby/Lee is great with the team, and Byrne is excellant as well. But I really love Waid and Wieringo's run, which I have reread countless times. They ran character analysis and did tons of research. It paid off big time because they managed to combine the right amount of action and light-hearted moments.

I just notice both of these titles had Waid as writers. I guess I really like his writing style.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#244623 08/05/11 02:14 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
1) LSH, for sure. I'll cheat by bringing ALL appearances, so I get to have Crisis on Infinite Earths too. There's enough material there to be pleasantly entertained for quite a while.

2) I'm torn between JLA and JSA. A lot of my favorite characters were with the JLA, but the membership comes and goes... on the other hand, I've enjoyed JSA immensely in the past few years.

If I really had to pick I'd go with JLA. Love reading the JLI bits!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Autochef
Autochef
Seattle, WA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star