Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/09/24 06:34 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:02 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 58 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 57 58
Re: The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
#348190 12/20/11 08:34 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Well, I woke up at 4:30 this morning. Did some chores, because I just hate lying in bed unable to sleep.

Either I'm also turning "walker," or it's my twice-yearly ten-day bout with disordered sleep: right on time for Winter Solstice, too.

I'll be ready for bed by the time I have to leave for work, of course.

:rolleyes:

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#348191 01/07/12 10:48 AM
It's too bad that I'm not either a friend or partner of any managers at work. Then <span style="font-size: 16px;">I</span> too could get away with blowing off a third of the day's work and constantly distracting other people actually trying to get sh*t done with my endless personal drama on my portable phone-- which I would then re-enact over and over and <span style="font-size: 16px;">over</span> again in exhaustive detail for all the other workers whether they cared to hear about it or not. Everyone would just laugh it off and I'd never, never be fired.

shake

Work would be great if it didn't involve co-workers. Really.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#348192 01/12/12 11:13 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So... I've just learned that Jim Shooter wrote a story about Ms. Marvel being raped, giving birth to her rapist, and the Avengers are all peachy keen with her going to live with him because they're a couple of "love birds".

My opinion of Jim Shooter has gone down a notch.

#348193 01/12/12 11:35 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
SK, the story in question was from AVENGERS # 200, with a sequel in AVENGERS ANNUAL # 10. Yes, it was very controversial.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#348194 01/12/12 11:38 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I have that issue somewhere. I remember thinking it was really bizarre when I was a kid.

#348195 01/12/12 11:40 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer

#348196 01/12/12 11:58 AM
I once read an article in a fan publication, I think, which suggested that this was Marvel's way of getting rid of Ms. Marvel, who had become something of an "embarrassment" to the company.

Like many characters, including Dazzler and Silver Surfer, Ms. Marvel was designed to capitalize on a trend, in this case the Women's Lib movement and the popularity of "Ms." as an address. When that term became passe in the early '80s, Marvel was left with what to do with character and so they chose to write her out.

The article argued that the way in which she was written out was meant to re-establish male dominance and put women in their place.

Whatever Marvel's motives, the sequel partially redeems the story by having the former Ms. Marvel, Carol Danvers, sharply criticize the Avengers (and, by extension, the creators of the original story) for not questioning her decision to run off with Immortus. Ironically, however, Carol had already been stripped of her powers after an unfortunate run-in with Rogue, so she was still "in her place".

#348197 01/12/12 11:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hmm, yes, I was hasty at judging Jim.

Can I still be confused and irritated at the story?

#348198 01/12/12 11:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer

#348199 01/12/12 12:15 PM
"My mistake was trusting you."

I think that's one of the most devastating panels in comics I've ever seen.

#348200 01/12/12 12:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I need to talk about Mr. Claremont about this story at some point. It seems like this is an excellent learning experience.

Seriously though, I can only imagine what people thought of that story when it came out.

#348201 01/12/12 12:45 PM
By the way, I can't help noticing that the scene of Carol's confrontation with the Avengers takes place at Xavier's pool, and that she and every other female character is wearing skimpy bikinis(including Wanda, whose costume always resembled a bathing suit).

While sex appeal has always been a part of super-hero comics, it seems greatly misplaced here. Yes, female empowerment takes another hit, thanks to the cheesecake factor.

#348202 01/13/12 09:20 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
SK, FYI, Claremont then went on to feature Carol in X-Men for about two years as a supporting character before making her Binary and a member of the Starjammers. He spent quite a bit of time 'restoring' Carol in the role of a strong, female character that could move on from Avengers #200.

#348203 01/14/12 01:35 AM
I thought it was funny (as in "eye-rolling") that Claremont was angry at the Micheline rape-pregnancy story;angry enough to pen a whole annual that rebuked it. And yet Claremont did some amazingly awful things to other female characters both before and after that story appeared. There was a gratuitous and unnecessary rape in his Epic Marada comic, and Dani Moonstar was psychically raped by "evil" Xavier in the oh-so-regrettable-on-every-level X-Men/Micronauts crossover mini. To name just a couple of cringeworthy "fridging"-type events that happened years before Gail Simone helpfully coined the term.

:rolleyes: Ah, pop culture. Never change.

[bangs head on wall]

#348204 01/14/12 11:14 AM
I've posted further thoughts on Avengers #200 on my blog .

#348205 03/13/12 07:08 PM
I got a form letter from my dentist yesterday, which helpfully informed me that I could have a horrible gum/jaw disease and not know it. <span style="font-size: 15px;">MY TEETH AND JAW AND ENTIRE FACE COULD FALL OFF TOMORROW UNLESS I COME IN FOR A CHECKUP ZOMFG!!11 LIKE RIGHT NOW</span>

Every few months, this dentist's office calls me to tell me I need to come in for a cleaning. And every time it's the same. I tell them I'm broke, jobless (or underemployed), and can't afford to come in. Apparently it hasn't sunk in for them, because now I have the scary, scary form letter which talks to me like I'm a five-year-old who doesn't understand that humans need dental care. They have "penciled me in" for the first week of April, because, you know... stupid people like me clearly don't understand how appointments work.

scream

I know from previous visits that there's no way I can ever get in and out of their office for less than a hundred bucks. Perish forbid they should offer me a discount. You'd think that they'd be thrilled to see uninsured patients. Imagine the hours and miles of stupid, pointless paperwork that we save them. But-- no.

I left them a snappish message on their answering service last night, saying that no, it does me no good to be pencilled in for a service I can't afford, and could they MAYBE have mentioned somewhere in their ooga-booga scary form letter lecture what the procedure costs these days, at least?

Jackasses. mad

#348206 03/13/12 07:15 PM
Also, a very important function/program on my computer just died over the weekend, about half an hour after I'd fixed another problem with it.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">And on top of everything else, ALICE FAYE GOES TO THE BIG CITY AND LOSES HER VOICE!!

<span style="font-size: 10px;">(I threw that in just in case He Who Wanders is reading.)</span></span></span>

#348207 05/20/12 06:59 PM
strange but not a stranger
OP Offline
So, it is a beautiful warm sunny day out. I had been away most of the day. When I get home, I can hear kids playing out in the street.

My roommate comes out of his room just as the kids get particularly loud. He said "This had been going on since noon. I almost called the police."

They may have been loud, but they are just kids playing. My roommate is too sensitive.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#348208 05/20/12 07:08 PM
Originally posted by cleome45:
Also, a very important function/program on my computer just died over the weekend, about half an hour after I'd fixed another problem with it.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">And on top of everything else, ALICE FAYE GOES TO THE BIG CITY AND LOSES HER VOICE!!

<span style="font-size: 10px;">(I threw that in just in case He Who Wanders is reading.)</span></span></span>
I'm just now seeing this.

I hope Alice got her voice back. lol

#348209 05/20/12 07:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Okay. Having a cast n your leg is bad enough, especially when it almost goes to your knee...then having the furnace stop turning on the AC just makes everything more freakin miserable.

Ah well...at least the convention was air conditioned this year. Cut down on the funk that usually accompanies gatherings like that.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#348210 05/24/12 08:09 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Okay. Having a cast n your leg is bad enough, especially when it almost goes to your knee...then having the furnace stop turning on the AC just makes everything more freakin miserable.
You sound like Jimmy Stewart in "Rear Window!" Watch out for any Raymond Burr lookalikes in your area.

#348211 05/27/12 03:32 PM
So, while we were sleeping in this lovely Sunday, a fissure opened up in our water heater and flooded the crawlspace. Managed to shut off the water main, eventually, but not before the water began lapping the furnace. We bailed some of that, but I suspect there's already been damage.

:rolleyes:

Happy effing Three-day weekend.

[ETA- The plumber just came and declared the water heater DOA. So we're off to look at new ones.

PovertyLad

I guess on the plus side, no plans for the holiday = no ruined plans for the holiday.]

sigh

#348212 05/29/12 08:49 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
hug

Darned mechanical thingamabobs. Always breaking down at the worst possible times.

#348213 05/29/12 10:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
yow! just now seeing this. hugs!

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#348214 06/03/12 03:56 PM
OP Offline
My roommate is so paranoid.

When I came home last night, he says to me "Make sure you lock the door when you go out. You did today. But when I was going out I heard the kids across the street saying 'We should just take it.' and then when they saw me coming down the steps they were all like 'Shhh! Don't say anything.' "

He is always worrying that people are looking at him and know that he is gay. If someone on the subway laughs, he is half convinced that they are laughing at him.

My back porch is enclosed (and on the third floor). In the pantry is a small window to the back porch. A child could fit through it, but not so much an adult. In the summer I like to leave it open so my cat can go out to the back porch when she wants to. He is worried that robbers will enter the apartment through it. Even though I pointed out that a robber would have to climb to the third floor and break in through the enclosed porch before reaching that small window and that more likely, a robber would just break down the back doors, he still worries about someone coming into the apartment through that window.

And while I am venting about him another thing. I noticed that on my cat's left rear leg, her fur was getting all knotted and it looked like some was missing. So, I call the vet and make an appointment for this Tuesday. I then ask him if he'll be around Tuesday to help me get her into the traveling case. He says "I don't know what's wrong with her and I always catch everything." So, I said "Well you could just hold the case. I'll put her in." He replied "Can't you just toss a treat in there?"

ARGH!!!!!

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Page 14 of 58 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 57 58

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,219
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
EmeraldEmperor
EmeraldEmperor
Southern Oklahoma
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star