Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad), 61 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big!
#362075 08/12/07 01:45 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Nice picture, not I'm not really impressed. never been a big fan of Manapul. He's good at pin-ups, but his storytelling has always been lacking, I find...

Saturn Girl looks strangely like Binary and the "changed costumes" are hit and miss. Brin with bare toes is ridiculous. The only good thing is that Supergirl is absent.

Been thinking of dropping the book fore a few months now. Depending on who's writing, I may give it a chance, but I'm really not jazzed about it.

I think this version of the legion has outlived its welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#362076 08/12/07 03:18 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Originally posted by Jerry:
Does Chameleon have yellow octopus legs?
That he does.

#362077 08/12/07 03:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm glad to see Cham doing something other than just stretching. That never seemed quite right to me. Duplicating other lifeforms is more his thang

Having him in chain-mail again also seems an odd choice for a changeling.

#362078 08/12/07 04:50 PM
Active
Active
First impression: Though I like some of the new costumes (Lightning Lad, Phantom Girl... well, OLD costumes in a way!), the artists style looks way too Manga for me. Kind of a mixture between bad Bachalo and Ramos. A little better but way too Manga definitely.

What books did this artist work on before? I seem to have heard his name but I don't know where.....

#362079 08/12/07 04:54 PM
Active
Active
But, a positive note: The characters on the spread look way more dynamic than they ever did with Kitsons clear, but very static art. I could imagine the Mangaesque style to work better for the Legion than in the first Manga age (Jeff Moy!) because they are no longer telling kiddie stories smile

Or so I hope...

#362080 08/12/07 05:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Chemical King:
A little better but way too Manga definitely.

I was thinking, Lyle looked a little bit, "speed racer."

#362081 08/12/07 06:01 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
The art makes it look more like an X Book than a Legion book to me.

Not sure I like that at all. We'll see how these changes go over.
yeah i noticed that too, and look how Colossal Boy/Micro lad's costume kind favors Titan from the Imperial Guard.

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#362082 08/12/07 06:12 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Blegh. These designs aren't bad at all, and the artist looks OK (though I agree that his Jo is all wrong), but the Kitson designs were so pitch-perfect, by-and-large, that I'm really sad to see some of them go.

In particular, Saturn Girl's. AAAAGH I want the scruffy bangs and ponytail and short cape back.

Kinda hate the new Colossal Boy look.

Brown on Shady is not right.

This Lightning Lad isn't bad. But it's not better.

I started out hating the midriff look, but now I want to see Light Lass's navel.

Karate Kid's retro-look, like Garth's, is a zero-sum deal. Not bad, not better. But at least it's not worse (i.e., a return to the stupidly impractical Iron Fist look).

I loved Kitson's Tinya. I'm only tolerating this redesign. Not bad, not better.

But hey, there's a lot of stuff I like here.

So glad he left Lu, Jan and Thom alone. These are the best outfits these characters have had, and in Star Boy's case, that's saying something.

And can I get a joy in the morning shout for the return of Dirk in his original Kitson suit? "Here comes the Sun (Boy) and it's all right!"

The new Timber Wolf looks too feral. But the outfit is good. The open toes really is inspired. Violet in shorts is great. Cham isn't bad. Brainy, by far Kitson's worst design, gets what might be his best look yet.

And Invisible Kid at last has a costume. <marquee behavior=alternate>HALLELUJAH!!</marquee>No headband necessary, or even wanted.

Best of all, the LSH isn't taking a 20 year step back.

-- Still here to help.
#362083 08/12/07 09:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
For those that say it's X-Menish. I think the reason is because they have a Cockrum influence. Thus, the X-Men are Legiony. wink

#362084 08/12/07 10:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
No, it isn't Cockrum's X-Men they remind me of. Its the crap X-Men that have been published for the last 10+ years.

#362085 08/12/07 11:11 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
No, it isn't Cockrum's X-Men they remind me of. Its the crap X-Men that have been published for the last 10+ years.
Exactly. It looks like an X-Men spin-off title...Legion X!

#362086 08/12/07 11:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Agreed. That was the first thing I thought of also.

#362087 08/12/07 11:38 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I haven't read X-Men in way more than 10 years, and I guess to me it resonates most strongly with the Cockrum/Byrne Imperial Guard splash pages of old. Ironic, since the Legion inspired the Imperial Guard. Chemical King is right in that, unlike most LSH pinups, this one is fairly dynamic, with characters doing different things. Usually they're all standing, or flying in formation. That dynamism is Marvelesque, I think.

I also think it's interesting that the Cockrum Legion illustrations rarely had so many Legionnaires in them at a time--that's what made the Chuck/Lu wedding spread so exceptional. The stories just never had the whole Legion in them. It wasn't until Cockrum worked on X-Men that he could illustrate a real "Legion" of super-folk.

Continuing the irony, one of the things I HAVE noticed about the X-Men in the last decade or more is how MANY there are, which I sort of don't like in principle. Not that I MIND lots of characters per se (obviously!), but the X-Men to me were always a small, elite strike force, NOT a Legion.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#362088 08/12/07 11:51 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
[b]As a side-note, isn't it interesting how often the Legion (and some other heroes, notably the X-Men) change costumes? You certainly wouldn't see Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman changing so radically so often, if ever.
Exactly, I find it distractingly unnecessary. [/b]
If I was a superhero there'd be no way I'd wear the same thing day after day, so I have no problem with Legionnaires when they feel like a change. smile

Wayne@OZ
#362089 08/12/07 11:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Chemical King is right in that, unlike most LSH pinups, this one is fairly dynamic, with characters doing different things. Usually they're all standing, or flying in formation. That dynamism is Marvelesque, I think.
On that I agree and I think that's why my initial reaction was more positive. There was something more to this team pose as, say, opposed to Chris Batista's gorgeous one from The Legion #26.

click to enlarge

I still need to see how this coalesces on individual pages. Can that "dynamism" carry over to six or more panels per page for 22 pages?

#362090 08/13/07 01:51 AM
Reservist
OP Offline
Reservist
- Light Lass seems to be less of a slut in this uni & looks more like the elegant young woman she is

- Element Lad seems to have the Kitson uni with a Punisher-like "this side up" arrow. I reco starting from scratch on this one...

- Saturn Girl & Brainiac 5 still have the best costumes IMO with their "convergence" re-design.

- Invisible Kid. Also like the rounded portion over the "i".

- Chameleon. In my mind it's less "chain-mail" and more "scales". It reminds me of his costume during the earlier years.

My reaction to Kitson's designs were like a previous poster's: great on some, not-so-great on others. At least here it seems we get more range on the face & body shapes.

I hope we give Manapul a chance to grow into the Legion. Even Coipel, who started out quite jarringly for some people, ended up doing a magnificent job as he grew more familiar with the team. The Legion's got a long history of debuting great artists (Giffen, Pearson, Immonen, Coipel) and it seems like the case here...it's really more about trying to hold on to them that becomes problematic.

But more than the actual pic itself, what has me stoked is that it looks like a more dynamic, more youthful Legion to me. 'Course, it goes without saying that the art's not worth anything if the story is lacking. This is also why I've been waiting on bated breath for the announcement of the new writer. It doesn't seem like DC is tapping on just anyone's shoulder to fill in the gap...there actually seems to be some thought and time being put into the decision.

Overall, it seems that DC may have stopped overlooking the Legion. It actually feels like they went out of their way to get an up-&-coming artist and possibly a big-to-middle-name writer as the long-term creative team. That bodes well in my book.

Igee The Mighty!
#362091 08/13/07 01:58 AM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
Love Invisible Kid's costume, but other than that I am not impressed.

#362092 08/13/07 09:07 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Here are some preview pages of Manapul's latest work, "Iron and the Maiden". Not standard super-hero fare, but evidence he can draw more than pretty poses.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=117458

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=115675

I've read some criticism here of Ayla and Garth's costumes. I disagree. LL's gold boots are one of the design features I liked best on the cartoon costume, and he looks more handsome and mature than Kitson's version. Ayla's softer, more romantic look is perhaps no coincidence seeing the artist drew her next to Timber Wolf. They are not juveniles anymore.

#362093 08/13/07 09:18 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by rtvu2:
[b]No, it isn't Cockrum's X-Men they remind me of. Its the crap X-Men that have been published for the last 10+ years.
Agreed. That was the first thing I thought of also.[/b]
And I always wonder how they can stay on top of the box office in spite of publishing crappy stories for such a long time... even though I hated the Legion reboot and don't care much for the Threeboot, both are still way better than the X-crap since Onslaught... I sometimes believe that after Age of Apocalypse (which I liked a lot), the X-Men returned to a parallel universe where all the good stories had disappeared to Vertigo smile

#362094 08/13/07 10:06 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Just saw the art for the first time.

I love it!

Very excited about this! All boots & writing laid aside, the art here is nothing short of stunning. Tinya and Imra are looking niiiiiiice wink . Vi too apparently (hot pants yay!). Brainy looks awesome, no Cos a good thing and I'm quite pleased. Val changing nationalities is as much a tradition as the Legionnaires being teens!

#362095 08/13/07 10:13 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I realize I may be committing LSH-Blasphemy... but I think I'm digging Shady in the ox's-blood/brown.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#362096 08/13/07 10:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Lash is correct. Blue-tinted black leather is so 3004. Chocolate-tinted black leather is so now. Notice that Shady even changed the highlights in her hair to a brown tone.

#362097 08/13/07 11:58 AM
Active
Active
it IS very xman-ish but that's ok. Cockrum designed the xman-ish look after he left the LSH. AND it won't hurt sales.
Saturn Girl is total Binary, but that's a dynamic look. i like very much Light Lass and Brainiac 5 and Invisible Kid ( agree he needs a headband). Colassol Boy seems to be based on his Imperial Guard doppleganger designed by Cockrum. i do think he needed the head gear and padding but the brown doesn't work too well with the red and blue. Tripliicate Girl still needs a new costume as does Element Lad. i hate their costumes so much. a lot of bitching about KK as either a caucasian or asian. remember that he is mixed race. Japanese dad, Anglo mom. i know many EurAsian's and Amerasians. it's not uncommon to have brown hair and semi-asian eyes. so many boards here and elsewell talk as if it has to be one or the other. i think that most of the LSH should be mixed race rather than the Aryan army we tend to get.

Gorilla Nebula
#362098 08/13/07 12:10 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I like that there's more than one body-type among the male Legionnaires. The heavily muscled Jo, muscular-but-not-too-big Garth and fairly slight Lyle are all nice touches.

I agree that Lyle needs a headband, but otherwise, he looks great.

Gim could lose whatever the brown thing on his shoulders is.

Otherwise, I like the look of most of them.

Even though I'm a big fan of Rokk's, I like the idea that his disappearance won't be solved overnight. His absence creates a huge hole and the search for him taking a long time is appropriate.

I'm really happy that there's no Supergirl. When she's around, I feel the others get overshadowed.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#362099 08/13/07 12:27 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
Saturn Girl is total Binary, but that's a dynamic look. i like very much Light Lass and Brainiac 5 and Invisible Kid ( agree he needs a headband). Colassol Boy seems to be based on his Imperial Guard doppleganger designed by Cockrum. i do think he needed the head gear and padding but the brown doesn't work too well with the red and blue. Tripliicate Girl still needs a new costume as does Element Lad.
Didn't even think of Binary but yeah it does look alot like that. I agree the brown doesn't mix with the blue/orange of Colossal Boy. It's orange I think instead of read. I actually like the orange/blue combo (they are complimentary colors) than the red. And yes his Shiar Imperial counterpart has the orange/blue.

Good call about the Imperial Guard. The pic does remind me of them. I see Cockrum influence not 90s X-stuff. Maybe the body types are different and people see X-90s stuff. personally I also like the bodies are different. I don't mind Brainy or Lyle on the skinny side but Jo was too short in this series. smile

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,257
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star