Roll Call
0 members (), 56 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 03:29 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big!
#362150 08/15/07 05:12 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Welcome! Now that you're here, just master the ability to ignore all of us lobbying for favorite characters, favorite eras, etc.!

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#362151 08/15/07 11:18 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Arachne:
Interesting interpretation. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyones ever looked at him that way before. It makes a lot of sense. Living in such a high tech civilization might make him feel caged a lot of the time. It'd certainly explain his attitude. smile
That interpretation appeared briefly in the pre-boot period (somewhere in the 260-270 range). There were some scenes suggesting that Brin was struggling with civilization. I forget the exact issue, but I always loved the scene in which Brin and Ayla are at a zoo, and he described feeling like one of the caged animals and said that his time in civilization was likely to end soon.

It was a cool interpretation of the character that fell by the wayside when Giffen de-feralized Brin.

I'm just not sure how that interpretation fits with the post-boot Brin. But I'll keep an open mind.

#362152 08/16/07 12:47 AM
Active
Active
I hope it is Shooter as he put an individual stamp on the Lu character like nobody had previously or since. He was certainly clever at using her limited powers to their utmost.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#362153 08/16/07 12:58 AM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
My, that's quite a striking depiction. Saturn Girl does look much better--like she might even have a personality... I'm not so keen on Ayla's new look, partly because I thought her last one worked particularly well. Colossal Boy seems a tad over the top, as does Ultra Boy (figures they would be a pair
That mirrors my thoughts as well.

Frankly, I'm a bit puzzled as to a few unnecessary changes, and one or two make no sense whatsover.

Biggest improvements: Timber Wolf (feral again), Saturn Girl, Karate Kid and Phantom Girl

Worst changes: Colossal Boy's Leifeld costume, Lightning Lad's and Light Lass's boring new duds (they were two of my favorite Kitson designs).

What's with the chain mail on Chameleon Boy. I think they should either go back to the preboot look or go with the lava lamp design that Kitson suggested for this series.

Why does Shadow Lass have a brown cape? And why is there so much brown being used all over the place?

Sun Boy is back in his yellow PJs look?!

I don't know. Over all, I like the energey of that preview pic, but I'm going to have to see more before I decide whether or not to support Legion again.

Really interested in seeing what becomes of the Legion Saga team.

#362154 08/16/07 01:09 AM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
I'm not sure how I feel about (yet another Legion change) this...but the "L" belts I can tell you I do not welcome. I like the individuality on the team. I think the rings give the LSH all the "uniformity" they need.

Long Live the Legion!!!
#362155 08/16/07 01:26 AM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by MYG:
I'm not sure how I feel about (yet another Legion change) this...but the "L" belts I can tell you I do not welcome. I like the individuality on the team. I think the rings give the LSH all the "uniformity" they need.
Yep. This is the Legion, not the Fantastic Four!

The more I see of that new Light Lass design, the more I really miss the old one. It was perfect! I know Kitson went overboard on the belly shirts, but the design worked for Ayla -- who seems to be more of a free spirit than the rest.

#362156 08/16/07 04:20 AM
Active
Active
Hey Francis, nice work. Saturn Girl's pink bikini is my all time favorite of hers and it's nice to see it brought back in some form. The whole look to her is pretty neat looking right now.

Your Phantom Girl wins...all time, that's the prettiest she's ever looked and I've always thought she was the prettiest female Legionaire. I think it was the pig tails long ago.

RE Shooter being the new writer:

I don't see it guys. This isn't Shooter's Legion, and some of the characters he created are the ones most changed in this version.

If Shooter writes any Legion stories I have a feeling it will be with the Legion shown in the Lightning Saga. And just as well...that's the type of Legion he wrote at it's peak. And this one is different.

When he was talking about doing a Legion story a while back...he was definitely talking about doing a story about his Legion. The way he phrased it....he sounded like he was going to be picking it up from sometime right after his Adventure Run or possibly the Action run...not even including his brief early 70's SLOSH run.

I have a feeling the new writer might be more along the lines of someone like Kurt Busiek, who I believe is a Legion Fan...and if it is Kurt and his Legion is 1/10th as good as his Superman...we're in a for a real treat.

It could be Shooter...but I just wouldn't see the logic behind it...most of the fans of this Legion aren't big fans of Shooter's Legion. Shooter writing this Legion doesn't have the same appeal as it would the Lightning Saga Legion...which would be something akin to a Landmark Comics event to long time LegionFans IMO....the majority of whom revere him as much if not moreso as the rest of the comics world reveils him. When you are talking old school Legion...Shooter's name is still pure gold. I know I wouldn't be near as excited to see him writing the W&K Legion...although I would be excited to see him writing any kind of Legion again I have to admit.

If you give Shooter time to plan stuff out and he doesn't try to do to much or do so much he burns himself out, if he just focuses on writing good stories and putting out good product...Shooter is a comicbook genius. But when he goes into his ultra competitive axe grinding mode his work suffers for it...I personally would like to see Shooter back in the industry...I just don't know if he could maintain a high level of quality since that's seemed to be his shortcoming throughout his career...comes on like gangbusters, finishes up writing tired angry stuff and having made a few more enemies in the business. I'd really like to see Jim hit a high note one more time in his career and hopefully finish it out that way...it'd be a real shame if he doesn't....with all the great things he did in his career. And it'd be even more awesome if he finished it writing the Legion...the one circle of the industry where he's always fit in and never worn out his welcome. I think he knows his status in Legion Fandom too...and I think he has warm feelings for that segment of comic book fandom as well.

#362157 08/16/07 09:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
For those with better memories: has any artist used interlac for the ring and belt insignias?
Wasn't the interlac "L" used on the rings during the Baxter era? I thought Booster Gold's ring also had the interlac L...

#362158 08/16/07 11:48 AM
Active
Active
here's a side by side comparison of Binary and this Saturn Girl design.
[Linked Image]
(can't get it to show up so here's the link. aaargh.)
http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sgbiwh3.jpg

Gorilla Nebula
#362159 08/16/07 12:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm a bit late to the party but what-the-hey, here're my 2 cents -

* My first thought when I saw that picture was 'Wow! Very X-Men!' I don't really like that style of art so that thought wasn't a good one.

* There are a few kinda nice costume re-designs in there though. Invisible Kid, Saturn Girl, Shrinking Violet and Brainiac 5 are all improvements over the Kitson designs. And Lightning Lad and Phantom Girl's outfits are quite nice in their own right.

* Karate Kid's outfit is a classic and so always welcome but it's just a shame that it's come at the expense of Kitson's Karate Kid costume, which along with Star Boy's were the only two designs of his that I liked.

* Speaking of bad costumes - I have no idea why people are raving about Colossal Boy's. It's a slight improvement over Kitson's 'Super-Hero Costume Design in Under 30 Seconds!' outfit for Gim but that's not saying much.

* I wish I could muster up more enthusiasm for this image but nearly every iota of my Legion interest has been squandered by the previous creative teams on this book. I wonder how different my reaction to this artist's work would've been if I wasn't already supremely disenchanted with all the characters he's drawing?

#362160 08/16/07 12:26 PM
Leader
Leader
New uniforms again already? In case those yahoos at DC haven't figured it out yet, what this book really needs is more than 5 minutes worth of continuity before it undergoes major changes all over again.

I like the new artistic style though. It's fresh and new.

What if this is the Karate Kid from Countdown? Maybe they killed his younger version and the older one joined this Legion as a mentor type figure. Sort of like when the SW6 Cham died and was replaced by his adult counterpart back in the post TMK days.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#362161 08/16/07 03:10 PM
Active
Active
In an interview given to Wizard about his choice to work for DC and on LSH in particular:

Did they have a project in mind when they announced it to you?

MANAPUL: It was a weird process because initially I was supposed to work on three other things, which I didn’t feel was the right thing for me to do. When I decided to work on Legion it coincided with the contract, and I decided if I was going to do an ongoing book it just made more sense to do the contract, and we both agreed that that was probably a good idea. Initially there were a couple of books pitched my way, and while they were kind of interesting and I would have gotten to draw one of the characters that I’ve loved since I was a kid, not to tease anyone, but the writer who will be doing the book that I’m working on is more the bigger announcement.

#362162 08/16/07 03:13 PM
Active
Active
Hey, look what i found:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9238/smalllosh37doublecover5ug4.jpg

The pencilled version is too big so i'm only putting the link.

It seems that some people in France (people that i know and that are in the edition business), friends of Francis it seems, know the name of the writer already!

They are saying that the name of the writer will surprised a lot of people, but that long term fans of the series will be showing a lot of enthousiasm, like Francis!
According to that messages board, the pitch is very good!

Before you say anything, i want to add that i know this person, and that it's not someone that is throwing rumors like that for fun on messages boards, just to be interesting.

#362163 08/17/07 01:38 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
But they're keeping mum on the actual name? Or are you sworn to secrecy?

In any case that sure sounds like Shooter they're describing. We'll see...

Has Francis or DC said when the announcement will be made?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#362164 08/17/07 02:57 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
here's a side by side comparison of Binary and this Saturn Girl design.
[Linked Image]
(can't get it to show up so here's the link. aaargh.)
http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sgbiwh3.jpg
I don't even know who that is, so it doesn't bother me that Saturn Girl's costume looks like that. I mean, Imra's not on *fire* like the other girl...

#362165 08/17/07 08:39 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The fact that it's still in keeping with Saturn Girl's previous looks and that it's a nod to Cockrum makes me not mind the similarity (and it's not like Ms. Marvel is Binary anymore).

#362166 08/17/07 08:54 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Querl Dox:
Hey, look what i found:
I actually posted that back here the other day.

Originally posted by Lard Lad:
But they're keeping mum on the actual name? Or are you sworn to secrecy?

In any case that sure sounds like Shooter they're describing. We'll see...

Has Francis or DC said when the announcement will be made?
Last I heard was that they might announce the writer at Baltimore.

#362167 08/17/07 08:55 AM
Deputy
Deputy
A small clarification:

Dave Cockrum didn't design the pink bikini. It was designed by a Legion fan (can't find the name at the moment) and debuted in the last new Legion story in Action before the publishing hiatus and the jump to Superboy.

Of course, Cockrum didn't CHANGE the costume again, even though it was brand new. Wonder if he liked it?

Binary might have been one of Dave's last great female costumes, done in the early 1980s during the first "Brood" storyline--a very simple but powerful look.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#362168 08/17/07 09:14 AM
Active
Active
Oops! Sorry Lightning Lad! I read all the posts, but i missed that.

Lard Lad: no, i don't know who the writer is! And i'm as impatient as anybody here!

If it was revealed at Baltimore, it would be good, but i doubt it. But you never know...

#362169 08/17/07 09:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I heard that the new writer is going to be Jessica Fletcher, and they are renaming the title "Legion, She Wrote" smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#362170 08/17/07 09:21 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've never said these word before -- "I'm really looking forward to going to Baltimore."

#362171 08/17/07 10:34 AM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
hey guys I think they will be announcing the writer in the next 3-4 weeks. That's the most I can say. And sketchlad thanks for the side by side it does look pretty similar! However the costume I was trying to design it after was the pink bikini. I basically just covered the flesh part with pink and made the "bikini" part white to relate to the current colors.

#362172 08/17/07 10:56 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by doublechinner:
A small clarification:

Dave Cockrum didn't design the pink bikini. It was designed by a Legion fan (can't find the name at the moment) and debuted in the last new Legion story in Action before the publishing hiatus and the jump to Superboy.

Of course, Cockrum didn't CHANGE the costume again, even though it was brand new. Wonder if he liked it?

Binary might have been one of Dave's last great female costumes, done in the early 1980s during the first "Brood" storyline--a very simple but powerful look.
[Linked Image]

#362173 08/17/07 11:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wow... I had forgotten that story. That was the one with "Saturn Lad" and "Prince Projectur", right?

Pozr... I never caught that until just now wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#362174 08/17/07 11:18 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Wow... I had forgotten that story. That was the one with "Saturn Lad" and "Prince Projectur", right?

Pozr... I never caught that until just now wink
That's the one. Last Action appearance, #392.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,258
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Elvis Lad
Elvis Lad
Hollywood, Ca
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star