Roll Call
0 members (), 45 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/16/24 05:48 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/16/24 05:11 AM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/16/24 05:09 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/16/24 12:25 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:27 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:26 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:26 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 05/15/24 10:20 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Glen Cadigan and Twomorrows Legion Companion
#362482 07/31/03 01:59 PM
K
Kevin Offline OP
Honorary
OP Offline
Honorary
K
Greetings,
If any one wants my next Interlac submission (Qavvik Revision 10) I
am offering it for free. It is only 8 pages. It has an interview with
Glen Cadiagan regarding the Legion Companion put out by Twomorrows
and a picture of the cover and an ad page for the book. Also has a
write up on the History Channels Superheros unmasked and a picture of
me(wow what a bargain)
E-mail me @ mranziety@y...
So let me know will compile a list and send them out in about 3 weeks.
Interlac is a legion APA and anyone interested see the site at:
http://members.aol.com/interlac/
Kevin

Re: Glen Cadigan and Twomorrows Legion Companion
#362483 07/31/03 03:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've been reading Legion for...awhile now and have seen references to "Interlac" but never really knew what it is about. Is this thing you are offerring sometihng that is usually purchased?

Is this something that we will receive in our email?

An 8 page interview sound long so I must not have the correct understanding of what it is that you are offering (but thanks!).

#362484 07/31/03 04:15 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Kevin, could you post your interview and your critique here, electronically? I know many of us, including LardLad, would like to have more details about the book in a timely manner, especially with only six weeks until its release.

You'd need to extract the plain text from your file, if you used Word or another program to create the pages for the Interlac 'zine. (I'm assuming you used such a program, since clearly you're posting here from a computer. I know that some 'zine participants still prefer typewriters.)

For those who don't know, Interlac is a Legion fanzine or "apa"zine (amateur press association) of about 30 years' standing that circulates as it always has, from long before the Net. Members make multiple paper copies of their submissions for each issue, and a "central mailer" collects, collates, and re-mails each issue.

#362485 07/31/03 05:02 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
(I had posted a more general and rather severe critique of APAs in this slot, but I've extracted it for a separate thread .)

#362486 08/01/03 11:40 AM
K
Kevin Offline OP
Honorary
OP Offline
Honorary
K
No the interview isn't 8 pages my submission is 8 pages 2 pages are the interview. Interlac is a legion apa put in 1976,see the website for more info.
thanks,
Kevin

#362487 08/01/03 11:43 AM
K
Kevin Offline OP
Honorary
OP Offline
Honorary
K
Well I asked Glen cadigan if I can post the interview on Legionpics andhe said he rather me offer to mail it Maybe if you ask him and he says its OK I can electroniclly mail the interview portion it to you.
Kevin

#362488 08/01/03 11:43 AM
K
Kevin Offline OP
Honorary
OP Offline
Honorary
K
Well I asked Glen cadigan if I can post the interview on Legionpics andhe said he rather me offer to mail it Maybe if you ask him and he says its OK I can electroniclly mail the interview portion it to you.
Kevin

#362489 08/01/03 03:51 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Glen is my fellow moderator on the new Legion-United Planets Group , and I'm a contributor of material to his book, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind -- but I'll ask him anyway, and I'll get back to you. Thanks, Kevin.

#362490 08/02/03 02:21 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Glen told me that he'd prefer to keep the interview an Interlac print exclusive, as originally planned, at least until your apazine is distributed. I'm cool with that.

I would indeed like a copy of the insert, though, as I noted to you in separate mail, and I'll be in touch about getting you the money for the postage.

#362491 08/02/03 05:16 PM
K
Kevin Offline OP
Honorary
OP Offline
Honorary
K
money isn't necesarryif all you want is glens interview I copied it at work so the copy cost was free and it is light enough to fit in a legal size envelope and postage is 37 cents.
Kevin

#362492 09/02/03 05:50 AM
K
Kevin Offline OP
Honorary
OP Offline
Honorary
K
Last month I had an interview in the Augusts Interlac regarding The upcoming Legion Companion available in October. If anyone wants a hard copy or copy in WORD format let me know. There area couple of Illustrations and picture of the cover of the book.
LLLater,
Kevin

Interview with Glen Cadigan and the 45th Anniversary Legion TwoMorrows Book

I met Glen Cadigan online early in 2002 through his LegionOnline.net website about the Legion of Super-Heroes. I immediately gravitated to his and Jo and Terri Anne Sanning's Legion Clubhouse Site which also featured the Silver Age characters which I was most familiar with after not following the Legion or comics since the late 1970s. When I put together the 30 Year Tribute to the Legion Outpost last summer, Glen was the first to submit a comment and some people asked who he was since the other contributors were mostly familiar to the Outpost or Interlac gang.

Well, Glen first got interested in the Legion back in the late Seventies, although he didn't become a regular Legion fan until the Levitz/Giffen era of the early Eighties. He created the website to fill the void of preboot Legion sites online. Late last year Glen mentioned that he was working on a "Secret Project" comparable to the one Brainiac 5 worked on when he was creating Computo. Being the typical nosey person that I am, I bugged him about it. He mentioned that he was doing a Legion of Super-Heroes book similar to the one that was done on the Justice Society of America to celebrate the 45th anniversary of the birth of the LSH in 1958 (the same year as my birth, too). Harry Broertjes mentioned in the Time Cube 161 that he has been in contact with Glen and mentioned the book, which was its first public announcement. I asked Glen if I could interview him for Interlac, and he said "Sure." Here are some questions I threw together for him on the project.
1. How did you come up with the idea for this 45th Anniversary Book of the LSH? Can you tell us what inspired you and how long have you been working on it?

I had always found it odd that no one had done this sort of project before. Legion fandom is well established, but apparently separate from the rest of fandom. It seems like the Legion has always had to beg for space in trade magazines, even though it's fairly well established that there's a market out there for this sort of material. I guess at the end of the day what makes it into magazines about comics are topics which are the preference of various editors, none of which, apparently, are Legion fans.

As for how long I've been working on it, officially and unofficially I'd say since last summer (2002).

2. How did you approach the publisher on the project, and what was their reaction?

I mentioned to P.C. Hamerlinck, who edits Fawcett Collectors of America (FCA) every month in Alter Ego that I was working on a Legion book, and asked him if he thought that TwoMorrows would be interested in it. He said yes, and as it turns out, he was right. P.C. also helped design the book's logo.

3. Once the book began, how did you determine which direction to go with it, and did TwoMorrows give you full freedom with the direction of the book?

They were pretty much hands off with the project. They knew that I knew the Legion better than they did, and so what went in it was pretty much up to me. As far as the direction goes, I started at the beginning of the Legion and worked forward from there.

4. How did you start to tackle this project and once you did, what were some of the ways that it went smooth and what were some of your biggest struggles?

I just jumped in with both feet, pretty much. I had already acquired a vast amount of information on the people behind the Legion while making my website, so most of the research was already done. Sometimes it was hard to find people, sometimes it was hard to get a response, and sometimes it was just difficult to set up a time to actually get the interview done. But it was worth it in the end; I can honestly say that there has never been a more comprehensive behind-the-scenes book on this topic ever published before. There's stuff in it which is going to make people's eyes open.

5. What was the hardest part of putting this together and what did you enjoy the most?

I'd say the hardest part was coordinating the whole thing. Getting different people on different parts of the globe to contribute artwork, give interviews, etc. could be a logistical nightmare at times. The part I enjoyed the most was "finding" people who had been "lost" for years. Some were surprised to hear that people still remembered them, and some hadn't thought about the Legion in years.

6. What have you found out through compiling this book that makes the Legion so popular over the past 45 years?

I've personally found that people either extremely love the Legion or ultimately despise the Legion, and I have never seen a following in other characters such as Superman or in the whole DC universe like the Legion has.
The thing with the Legion is that there's something there for everyone. It's both a super-hero comic and a science-fiction comic, with enough members that everyone can claim a favorite. It's mostly a self-contained universe, which encourages its readers to think outside the box. Legion fans tend to be smarter than average, so the complexity of the universe appeals to them. It's the sort of comic which stands alone and doesn't require knowledge of any other title to enjoy it. When you think about it, you could say the same things about Star Wars or Star Trek. The Legion also has it's roots in childhood, and kids aren't afraid of complicated things. If you put your imagination on a long leash in an area where there's room to roam, you usually don't get disappointed.
7. I've noticed within the past several years a reoccurrence for the "good old days" of comics, specifically the Legion with the obvious success of the Legion Archives, which I think outsold any of the other DC Archives, and for the facsimile books such as Superboy 147 which is a reprint of the origin of the Legion. Do you ever see a day where DC will go back to a format with the characters and storylines as they were originally portrayed in the Adventure series?

Anything's possible, but the current regime at DC certainly seems to have dug in their heels as far as the current continuity is concerned. If DC did restore the preboot, they wouldn't go all the way back to the Adventure days. The twenty years which followed it are every bit as legitimate as the twelve years it took to cover the Legion's Silver Age, so they wouldn't be ignored.
When you think about it, wasn't that what the reboot was all about? Making the Legion teenagers again?

8. So what can we expect to see in the book?
Will it be a chronological format from the standpoint of stories/creative standpoint, or something else?

Interviews, interviews, and even more interviews. Basically, everyone who worked on the Legion from 1958-1994 and still has a pulse was contacted for this book. There are even interviews in it with dead people, so that'll let you know how thorough I was. It's the most comprehensive behind the scenes Legion book ever published. Hopefully, it'll clear up things which Legion fans have debated for years.

9. Can you give some examples of issues which the book will clear up?

Why the Legion was really rebooted, why certain people left when they did, and what Keith Giffen's favorite color is. Hint: it's not red.

10. Is there anything else you want to add, and can you give us information for where the book can be purchased?

Just that the book will have an all new cover by Dave Cockrum, an introduction by Jim Shooter, and a never before published collaboration by Curt Swan and Steve Lightle. It's 224 pages long, retails for $24.95, and can be purchased directly from TwoMorrows at http://twomorrows.com/books/legioncompanion.html in addition to being available at comic book stores everywhere.

#362493 09/02/03 06:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks Kevin!

This is great!

#362494 09/02/03 07:08 AM
Leader
Leader
Thanks for sharing. I am really looking forward to this book!

#362495 09/02/03 07:30 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks for the interview Kevin. Makes me more than glad I pre-ordered my book when I did.

#362496 09/02/03 11:28 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I, too, already pre-ordered. I will be looking forward reading this soon!

#362497 09/02/03 03:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hmmmm...now everyone want to bet on which favorite color of Keith's? My bet - Green.

#362498 09/04/03 01:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm going to guess black.

#362499 09/04/03 01:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yes! Very nice interview! I'll have to put this book on my wish list for Christmas!

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#362500 09/04/03 02:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
Hmmmm...now everyone want to bet on which favorite color of Keith's? My bet - Green.
I'm voting plaid. We are talking about Giffen here after all. laugh

#362501 09/05/03 02:17 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
say, when will the book be released? soon? or in October? Anyone knows?

#362502 09/05/03 09:11 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
October as far as I know. Looking forward to it.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#362503 09/05/03 09:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
ah...thanks! I will keep an eye on that in October!!

#362504 09/08/03 03:24 PM
K
Kevin Offline OP
Honorary
OP Offline
Honorary
K
Glen mentioned to me it will be released in October. I have some of my comissions in it from various artists. Glen mentioned to me last year he was working on it hard to keep it a secret.
LLLater,
Kevin

#362505 09/08/03 03:31 PM
K
Kevin Offline OP
Honorary
OP Offline
Honorary
K
Color for Giffen...Green !!!
LLLater,
Kevin

#362506 09/08/03 11:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Kevin:
Color for Giffen...Green !!!
LLLater,
Kevin
I got it! I got it! i got it! yeiipppeeee! *dancing* wohhhoooooooohhoeoeeoeeoeo! I got the right guess! Green it is! laugh *hee hee*

PS Kevin, you're serious, aren't you? smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,371
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
jab, stile86
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Downunder Lad
Downunder Lad
Botany Bay
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star