Roll Call
0 members (), 30 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 12:15 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:41 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:40 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:07 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 10:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Mark Waid/LSH Article posted @ Comic Book Resources, Now with Added Barry Kitson!
#362611 12/03/04 02:04 PM
A
Active
OP Offline
Active
A
Here

[edit note: adding a link to Barry's review as well.]

Re: Mark Waid/LSH Article posted @ Comic Book Resources, Now with Added Barry Kitson!
#362612 12/03/04 02:11 PM
A
Active
OP Offline
Active
A
It's got extra preview pages too!

Re: Mark Waid/LSH Article posted @ Comic Book Resources, Now with Added Barry Kitson!
#362613 12/03/04 02:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
THANKS!

It fuels my ambivalent optimism. Will 12/29 never get here!?!

#362614 12/03/04 02:39 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Arune Singh has this maddening and stupid habit, for a long time now, of calling it "Legion of Superheroes." It's "Super-Heroes." I don't care what his preference is, you go by what the publisher says the name is.

What adds to this stupidity is that he's obviously picking up e-mailed responses by Waid, who is using "super-heroes" both in title references and in running commentary.

Sorry, but interviewers and editors who impose their own idiosyncrasies like this get under my skin, and always have. Arune is a good interviewer, but smaller lapses like this abound at CBR, and its journalistic reputation suffers for it. The first requirement for such repute is a functioning, consistent copy desk.

#362615 12/03/04 03:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Some possible SPOILERS in here, I guess...

How come everytime I read something new about the upcoming LSH, I'm just more excited about it? Actually, I like the idea of calling them "agents of chaos" in that it moves away from the standard "chaos = evil". Additionally, it sounds to me like the WaK era Legion is going to be more like the original version in some respects. You have an apparent utopian society, but beneath the service there's a lot of trouble. Otherwise, who did anyone have to fight? I never saw the reboot Legion as utopian, but the preboot, pre-TMK version was supposed to be just that.

Interestingly, it looks like Cargg(g) is out of the picture. That tells us that the nature of her powers are different from what we've seen before.

I also like the spotlight issues; or, rather, that only a limited number of Legionnaires show up each issue. That allows them to come into focus, gain characterization, and not give that "it's too crowded" feeling I often felt in the reboot. It's also a lot like early Legion, especially the Adventure era.

I am a bit hopeful that the story that made him a fan was the one the killed Ferro Lad. Maybe he likes him enough to give him another chance - and maybe he'll even survive if the Fatal Five don't show up.

Lastly, if this Legion is in any way an homage to the Silver Age, maybe we'll see an "Earth-1/Earth-2" style crossover with the reboot Legion. (I wouldn't include the preboot Legion mainly because I think that goes back too far.)

Dan
#362616 12/03/04 03:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks for the link APB! I had already been to CBR this morning and would have missed it. I've added the additional pages to our 'gallery' of new Legion images here .

#362617 12/03/04 03:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Thanks for the link APB! I had already been to CBR this morning and would have missed it. I've added the additional pages to our 'gallery' of new Legion images here .
I've got to admit that Sun Boy's costume looks a lot better in this close up, as does it hair. It's like they're _trying_ to make me like it or something! smile

I also note that Ultra Boy looks really young. I find it to be a refreshing change. And the look on Chameleon's face is just so amusing.

Dan
#362618 12/03/04 03:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I can buy the explanation behind Chameleon not being a Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass. It should make for some interesting interactions. I wonder how Durla is excepted in this new imagining.

And Ayla is way flirty. Not sure if I like that aspect of her yet or not.

#362619 12/03/04 03:24 PM
Active
Active
Isn't Chameleon just the cutest little thing!

There's nothing particularly new in this interview except maybe the revelation that the UP is heading towards interstellar war. Will Waid's no re-telling policy extend to the Khunds and the Dominators? They have already been established as existing in the 20th Century DCU.

#362620 12/03/04 03:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well I did pick up one new thing for sure (once I sat and read the interview instead of looking at the pretty pictures). Winath no longer exists. Or at least won't exist as Lightning Lad's home planet. So I am now totally curious as to if he and Ayla are twins and if that's the norm. Did they get their powers in the same way. All that. I don't even know if he'll still be called Garth! scream wink

#362621 12/03/04 03:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hooray! New art! Lots of Easter Eggs!

#362622 12/03/04 04:42 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
*Gasp*! Is Lyle destined to die in a magic keyhole like most new members Ayla flirts with?

#362623 12/03/04 04:46 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Okay, I'm finally tapped out. I don't like it at all, conceptually or from what I've seen.

Last post on this re"imagine"ing ever. End.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#362624 12/03/04 04:54 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I'm more excited about this series than I was before - and that's saying something.

Kudos to Run for another fantastic interview.

He's the best comics journalist I know of, and just his byline is enough to get me to read an interview I might otherwise be disinterested in.

#362625 12/03/04 04:59 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Well I did pick up one new thing for sure (once I sat and read the interview instead of looking at the pretty pictures). Winath no longer exists. Or at least won't exist as Lightning Lad's home planet.
Oh no - wait!

Where is that???

I read "Though changing the planet of origin for Live Wire, for example, may seem trivial, Waid knows that it matters to Legion fans" as:

"some writers might think changing Live Wire's home planet, FOR EXAMPLE, would be trivial, but Waid doesn't."

#362626 12/03/04 05:17 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
in the last page, who was sitting next to jeckie on the couch?

#362627 12/03/04 05:22 PM
Deputy
Deputy
It's the first time I read something by Waid that sounds remotely positive for the new series... I'm still checking it for the art though. I've been disppointed by Waid too many times in the past

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#362628 12/03/04 05:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well I did pick up one new thing for sure (once I sat and read the interview instead of looking at the pretty pictures). Winath no longer exists. Or at least won't exist as Lightning Lad's home planet. So I am now totally curious as to if he and Ayla are twins and if that's the norm. Did they get their powers in the same way. All that. I don't even know if he'll still be called Garth! scream wink
Is that true, though? I got the feeling that Waid was just making something up like "imagine if X was true". I think I'll definitely miss Winath if it's gone. It was one of the more wonderful places in the Legion Universe.

Dan
#362629 12/03/04 05:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by joe mondo:
[b] Well I did pick up one new thing for sure (once I sat and read the interview instead of looking at the pretty pictures). Winath no longer exists. Or at least won't exist as Lightning Lad's home planet.
Oh no - wait!

Where is that???

I read "Though changing the planet of origin for Live Wire, for example, may seem trivial, Waid knows that it matters to Legion fans" as:

"some writers might think changing Live Wire's home planet, FOR EXAMPLE, would be trivial, but Waid doesn't."[/b]
That's not the way I took it. But then, when I first read the interview, I don't recall FOR EXAMPLE being used. Since I was reading at work I can't say for certain if I just skimmed over it or not.

#362630 12/03/04 05:51 PM
Substitute
Substitute
hmm...i've read it over and i don't take it that way either.....however with Waid, i tend to take what he says with a grain of salt. He does have a history of saying one thing then doing the opposite. Oh well, we'll see. And despite the negative sounding post i have very high hopes for this reimagining of the legion

Now with Calcium!!!
#362631 12/03/04 06:37 PM
Substitute
Substitute
[b]
[b] Well I did pick up one new thing for sure (once I sat and read the interview instead of looking at the pretty pictures). Winath no longer exists. Or at least won't exist as Lightning Lad's home planet.
Oh no - wait!

Where is that???

"some writers might think changing Live Wire's home planet, FOR EXAMPLE, would be trivial, but Waid doesn't."[/b]
That's not the way I took it. But then, when I first read the interview, I don't recall FOR EXAMPLE being used. Since I was reading at work I can't say for certain if I just skimmed over it or not. [/b]
No, you're correct - it doesn't say "for example" - I'm saying that's what I took him to mean.

#362632 12/04/04 06:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Greybird:
Arune Singh has this maddening and stupid habit, for a long time now, of calling it "Legion of Superheroes." It's "Super-Heroes." I don't care what his preference is, you go by what the publisher says the name is.
[/i]
It's "Super-Heroes" as of now. So someone must have given him the hint.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#362633 12/04/04 06:10 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
No, you're correct - it doesn't say "for example" - I'm saying that's what I took him to mean.
Am I not seeing something? It does say "for example".

#362634 12/04/04 07:49 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Ack!

So it does.

"For example".

But in a slightly different context than I used it.

Trying to do to many things at the same time over here...

#362635 12/04/04 08:05 AM
Deputy
Deputy
"Live Wire" doesn't even exist in this reality, so the statement is questionable on that basis alone. Regardless, they'd be wise to fiddle with his origin story, as the lightning beasts of Korbal probably wouldn't cut it anymore. Maybe Winath is now Amarta (it's original name) and the natives are all meta-humans with null-grav powers like Light Lass. L-Lad's electrical powers were triggered by a freak industrial accident, or something like that. Whatever you do, Mr. Waid, please don't erase Mekt.

So, the Fatal Five, Computo, Universo, etc., are out, but the Dominators are back? Interesting.

My only objection to these pages is Legion HQ looks much too CLEAN and tidy to be the home of "agents of chaos". If they're rebelling against a sterile utopia with anachronistic behavior and thinking, maybe they should be more like 21st century teenagers. You know, a lot messier.

#362636 12/04/04 08:28 AM
Deputy
Deputy
It's a nice touch that Invisible Kid is the vehicle to introduce us to the Legion -- a pleasant reminder of Legion Annual #1 and the Great Darkness.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#362637 12/04/04 11:30 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Also of note is that Invisible Kid invented the serum that gives him powers - this kid is still a genius after all! And Brainy recruited him too. From the apparent age difference, perhaps instead of friendly rivals, Kyle will be an apprentice of sorts to Brainy?

In the group shot, I'm guessing the little green figure in the middle of the table waving is Violet. Who are the other two beside her? Perhaps they're action figures...

Who's that on the bottom of the page wearing a hood? It appears to be the same color as the cape on the left part of panel. Coincidence?

Nice to see the "lad/lass" rule is already seen as flexible. Interesting that Sun Boy had to point out to Lyle that Cham was a Durlan shape-shifter. Does Lyle not know what Durlans look like or does Cham not look the way Durlans usually look?

#362638 12/04/04 01:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Also of note is that Invisible Kid invented the serum that gives him powers - this kid is still a genius after all! And Brainy recruited him too. From the apparent age difference, perhaps instead of friendly rivals, Kyle will be an apprentice of sorts to Brainy?
I like that idea a lot. An "ordinary" genius could probably learn a lot simply from studying on Colu - let alone with THE smartest Coluan. But, um, do you really think Kyle Rayner is up to the task? smile

Nice to see the "lad/lass" rule is already seen as flexible. Interesting that Sun Boy had to point out to Lyle that Cham was a Durlan shape-shifter. Does Lyle not know what Durlans look like or does Cham not look the way Durlans usually look?
We actually did know name flexibility was coming. As for Durlans, I like the lack of knowledge about them. People have probably heard of them, but if Durlans tend not to leave Durla, they may be seen as something of a myth. And even 20th Century Durlans have appeared as tentacle-heads, so we should assume that's their original form. (Or mutated form, if the race having been mutated by radiation story is still intact.)

Dan
#362639 12/04/04 05:51 PM
Active
Active
Yeah, just WHO is that sitting next to Jeckie? looks like Shadow Kid kinda. perhaps he is the mystery "winged/caped" figure from the preview? and who are the hooded, robed figures? what does that big poster say?
on page 14 Ultra Boy and Colassol Boy look like twins. i hope Barry can find more to distinguish those two.

Gorilla Nebula
#362640 12/04/04 09:17 PM
Active
Active
I thought the person next to jeckie might have been Grev too. Wishful thinking.

Bah! Another legion writer who loves Cosmic Boy mad

#362641 12/05/04 10:01 PM
Active
Active
Love the fact that Gim comes from a race of giant aliens. This is the best explanation for why a character with "growing powers" is always seen as a giant. If this is his natural state, it would make perfect sense to be seeing him tall. And this explains the name "Micro Lad".

#362642 12/05/04 10:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The funny part of Gim's new origin is that he sees them all as "little people". It'll be interesting to see how that actually affects how he relates to his teammates.

#362643 12/06/04 03:39 PM
Active
Active
Gee, I hope they don't stick with "Micro Lad". Being from a race of giants, IS cool, though.

I ALMOST like Sun Boy's look.

Everything else looks way cool.

#362644 12/06/04 04:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I thought Micro Lad was simply what he was called on his own world. On Earth, he is Colossal Boy.

Dan
#362645 12/07/04 01:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just checked the CBR article and preview and I must say...I found it AMAZING!

I've been optimistic about this new try at the Legion but always find a thing or two that bother me.

Not here. Waid/Kitson nailed it in these few pages. The interaction, the Legion, geez...that page where they are all spread out in the room each doing something different. Feels like home.

Sun Boy is quickly becoming a favorite. he always was but sometimes got the shaft. It appears he's part of the cooler clique (if not the ring leader). Plus I've never been a big Cos fan so go Dirk!!! Go Waid and Kitson!!!

And the small negative I have is ofcourse the mention of teenagers by Waid. I just think making them college age 18 to 22 gives us more freedom and still captures that young rebellious thing. But as far as I know some may be over 18. Looking at Invisible Kid he surely looks younger than some of the others.

Guys this looks great and that page with all of the members doing their own thing gave me goosebumps! DnA never did that though I enjoyed their stuff from LLost and on.

This was the best preview yet! I can't wait.

Jorge

#362646 12/07/04 04:51 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
As for who is sitting next to Projecta? I say Element Lad either colored wrong or doing something elemental with himself.

I thought they were gonna be tight with similiar backgrounds. Geez i cant wait for this.

Jorge

#362647 12/07/04 07:24 AM
Deputy
Deputy
One of my problems with the reboot era was the lack of a Sun Boy. He was one of the most consistent members, although he didn't really get a major storyline until TMK. Glad to see him back. How many weeks? I can't wait!

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#362648 12/07/04 08:51 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Jorg-El:
As for who is sitting next to Projecta? I say Element Lad
I thought it was Shady but looking back at the page I see she's on the other side of the room and that's E-Lad with a book over by the foosball table.
Must be somebody we haven't been introduced to yet. Maybe the owner of the mysterious boots?

#362649 12/07/04 12:55 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'll agree with all the plaudites above but would like to point out all the neat things I spotted in that "clubhouse" panel at the end.

Electric guitar & amp, as well as a set of drums and rock & roll type psychadelic posters on the far walls.

Is that a model Batplane hanging from the ceiling?

Love the comic book spinner racks with the DC logo that Gim is perusing!

I think those are laptops on the coffee table in front of Jeckie. And I think those may be Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern figurines on the table as well (not Violet)

That's a great look at Jan's cape from behind & I love the foosball table he's standing by. But who is across the table from him?

Looks like TWO orange capes with hoods (one in each bottom corner) Could they be Lu's capes on coat racks or are there two orange caped heroes we haven't met?

Like the fact that Cham & Val are playing our chess not 4D chess.

Can't tell for sure but it looks like Dreamer is sitting next to someone in brown at the bar on the right side of the panel.

That does sort of look like Grev sitting next to Jeckie but I doubt Mark & Barry would bring him in (with Tas already there) and not one of the others. Could it be Rokk?

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#362650 12/07/04 07:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Jillikers! Sun Boy sure has seemed to take a shine to cutie-pie Lyle! What room will Dirk show him next, one might wonder...!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#362651 12/08/04 12:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Doh! I see Element Lad now. My bad. Can be Cos or Val with a jacket on? Or as you all have said someone we haven't seen yet?!

Jorge (wouldn't it be cool to have a daxamite Dev-Em in the Legion???)

#362652 12/08/04 12:38 AM
Candidate
Candidate
Val is playing Chess or something with Cham. Hmmm could be Cos with a Jacket. Probably is that secret character that hasn't been revealed yet. Or it might be Princess Projectra's Royal advisor or something like that?

#362653 12/27/04 02:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Jillikers! Sun Boy sure has seemed to take a shine to cutie-pie Lyle! What room will Dirk show him next, one might wonder...!
So, preview-readers of LSH # 1... does Dirk put the mack on Lyle?!?!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#362654 12/27/04 02:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Or does Ayla come in and whisk him away?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#362655 12/27/04 10:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Only two days until we get the answers.

#362656 12/28/04 07:09 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Barry has added his voice to the reviews now over at CBR and even provided them with the desgin sketches. But we got to see them first. laugh

#362657 12/28/04 08:06 AM
Active
Active
Yeah, I love how CBR bills them as "exclusive" design sketches!

#362658 12/28/04 08:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Blame that on whoever wrote the front page teaser and not Arune. He doesn't say that anywhere in his interview.

Besides we are elite, not exclusive. That means we're better. laugh

#362659 12/28/04 09:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Barry's article was fun to read -- it's great that he seems to be having so much fun with it, especially considering the demanding schedule. Also good to hear that he's still feeling good about interacting with fans (though we'll put that to the test when #1 hits the stands wink ).

#362660 12/28/04 09:54 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Exclusive? -heh heh heh-

I've had those in a gallery for a month now. laugh

#362661 12/28/04 12:39 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Barry's article was fun to read -- it's great that he seems to be having so much fun with it, especially considering the demanding schedule. Also good to hear that he's still feeling good about interacting with fans (though we'll put that to the test when #1 hits the stands wink ).
I'm getting nervous, believe me! laugh

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#362662 12/28/04 12:58 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
lol

Barry! Good to see you back around.

I figure you've been pretty busy. I wondered if it was going to be possible to assist in plotting and scripting and then draw and ink 30 pages a month. That sounds like a LOT of work to me.

btw- Merry christmas (a bit late but I mean it anyway) I hope you got lots of the loot you wanted and happy new year 3005!

Would you ask somebody at the office when Superboy #247 actually came out? I have a theory that it was out in the first part of Jan, 1958 and this relaunch is scheduled the way it is to pay tribute to the Legion's origin.
Of course this theory is based on the idea that in the old days they sent comics out way in advance of the cover date to extend their shelf life at the stores and an Apr. release would actually came hit the racks in Jan. then stay there until the first of May.

I've always wondered about that. I'm old enough to have bought a great many of the old comics at the store but I'm not quite that old.

#362663 12/28/04 01:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A late Happy Christmas and early Merry New Year to you Barry! Hope your holidays are going well!

As for the question YK asked above, maybe I can help. Especially since I don't think finding out when Superboy #247 hit the stands would do us any good. wink

Adventure #247 had an approximate on sale date of February 27, 1958. For a interesting article on how DC used to date their books visit this site. Mike Voiles has a great site for publishing information. Here is a direct link to his Adventure #247 page.

#362664 12/28/04 03:46 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks a bunch Scott. I really have been curious about when SB#247 was relased. Not to any real purpose mind you but just as a matter of curiosity. So the semi-official actual release date was late Februrary 1958 (if you count a 60 day lead time to maximize sales in the stores) - 6 months before I saw MY first sunrise.

The Legion is older than I am but not by very much. laugh

My theory is a wash, darnit. There isn't a direct correlation between their very first appearance and their new first appearance.

So will LSH #1 have a Feb. or Jan. date on the cover?

#362665 12/29/04 03:00 AM
Active
Active
Hi Guys
Thanks very much for the seasons greetings - same to you! smile

Sorry about being relatively 'quiet' what with the holidays and still needing to get the book done - I was offline most of the time!

I guess today is the big day! laugh

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#362666 12/29/04 12:10 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Hi Barry! Yep. today's the BIG day! Can't wait! I'm sure you have nothing to be nervous about. From everything you've shared with us so far, I'm sure you'll hit a home run!

#362667 12/31/04 02:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Another interview with Barry, this one at The Pulse . Included are the sketches we've all seen except for one. I've posted the new one over at Barry\'s Costume Design Sketches thread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,076
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star