Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler), 68 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legion creator dream matchups
#362799 07/29/08 01:45 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I've noticed that a lot of my ideas for threads have already been covered by you guys long ago, so it won't surprise me if someone has already made a thread about this...but I couldn't find it.

Which Legion creators that have never worked together would you guys like to see teamed up?

I was thinking about it listening to the Legion 50th panel...

Jim Shooter
Giffen
Mike Grell
Cary Bates is doing a DC project.

All these guys are a DC right now...the classic Legion creators, the living ones anyway. As a fan of the classic Legion in particular I can't help but thinking..what a once in a lifetime opportunity this little window in time is, to see some of them team up, even if just for an annual or something.

The one matchup that immediately jumps into my head as the all time dream Legion matchup for me that is possible, is Jim Shooter and Keith Giffen. And you know...Shooter never has told the story of Mordru's first meeting with the Legion...and Keith is probably that guy that has done the most with Mordru.

And Giffen isn't one of the guys that hates Shooter either as far as I know(other than his psychotic hatred of poor Val)...so it could happen.

Any other Legion Dream Matchups you guys can think of or would like to see?

Re: Legion creator dream matchups
#362800 07/29/08 05:59 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I think it would have been kind of neat for one of Siegel's Silver Age stories to have been drawn by Jeff Moy. Conversely, John Forte's art might have been good for an early reboot story. Dennis Calero would fit right into the 5YL era. And nothing against Coipel or Batista, but it would have been cool seeing Barry Kitson draw a DnA story.

#362801 07/29/08 07:24 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
My favorite stories come from the Levitz / Giffen or Levitz / Lightle eras, but I'm stumped trying to think of creative teams I'd like to see together.

But Giffen, as an artist, confuses me. He supposedly drew the Great Darkness Saga, which was good art (not Lightle good, but clean comic book fare). Then he drew this picture, which is seven different flavors of awful.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#362802 07/29/08 07:32 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
It's not confusing. He changed his style, that's all. When did it happen--around the Omen-and-the-Prophet storyline? Anyway. Giffen must like the newer style better, but most comic book fans who have registered their opinions preferred the older style. Including me, although I don't hate the newer style, or, in fact, that picture you linked to.

#362803 07/29/08 11:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Set, no! Giff's big-lips era is one of my favorite Giffen art-eras! I *love* the picture you linked to! The only Giff-era I really don't like is his "Trencher" style. Ick. Too sketchy for me!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#362804 07/29/08 01:03 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Set:
My favorite stories come from the Levitz / Giffen or Levitz / Lightle eras, but I'm stumped trying to think of creative teams I'd like to see together.

But Giffen, as an artist, confuses me. He supposedly drew the Great Darkness Saga, which was good art (not Lightle good, but clean comic book fare). Then he drew this picture, which is seven different flavors of awful.
Probably my favorite piece of art for the Legion ever... It's a matter of taste, but being a fan of European comics and artsy stuff, this is one of those pieces that simply scream distinctive, personal and downright unique.
At this point in his career, Keith could simply draw anything. If he wanted to draw perfectly neat Kevin Maguire style, he is bloody able to (see JLI 14). That's what makes him a great artist.

As for a dream-team, I'd love to see Lightle with Shooter at this point.

#362805 07/29/08 01:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Lightle with almost anyone but just to mix it up,..

I'd like another Keith Champagne issue. I think either Coipel or Manipul would add a nice Sci-Fi touch to his stories.

Did Levitz and Doran ever work together? I think that'd be a good match.

#362806 07/29/08 01:50 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
I'd love to see Levitz and Lightle do an Annual in the vein of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ANNUAL Vol. 1 #1, which takes place during their time on the book. Maybe an untold story that each wanted to tell.

That would make me extremely happy. It could also be a prequel of sorts to the Lightning Saga (although throw in the original Supergirl as Sensor Girl just for fun!).

#362807 07/29/08 01:54 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

Did Levitz and Doran ever work together? I think that'd be a good match. [/QB]
Yeah, she was on an issue of the Baxter run. Levitz has pretty much worked with everyone from the classic era in some way or another, Cockrum, Grell, Lightle, Swan, Mooney, Staton, Sherman, Broderick, Shaffenberger, Colon...Doran, even Dan Jurgens and Terry Shoemaker. There's not many dream matchups you could make with him involving any living classic Legion creators. I think he literally worked with every Legion artist to work on the book in it's first 30 years, except for Plastino and Forte.

You want to pair him up with someone for the first time it would definitely have to be with one of the guys from the reboot or 3boot versions of the Legion like Copiel or Kitson..

#362808 07/29/08 01:57 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
I think it'd be interesting to see the entire Hamilton and Siegel runs repencilled by Copiel laugh

#362809 07/29/08 03:46 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Hey I can't believe it, but I agree with Ricardo for once, Jim Shooter and Steve Lightle, Steve is like a hybrid of Swan and Cockrum.

But if Dave Cockrum were still alive my vote would have been for him and Shooter, the two guys who created the things I most love about the Legion.

Other than that maybe Cary Bates and Kieth Giffen.

As for Paul Levitz I'd team him up with Alan Davis and Mark Farmer, or Geoff Johns: co-writer and Chris Batista artist.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#362810 07/29/08 03:52 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Conway & Byrne.

Not that I'd actually buy it. Just to watch the internet explode. evil

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#362811 07/29/08 04:25 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:

Other than that maybe Cary Bates and Kieth Giffen.
Those two never teamed up on the Legion that I can recall...

But they have teamed up together before...and it was creator owned and under a Marvel imprint no less...

I give you, Video Jack:

[Linked Image]

http://www.komikwerks.com/comic_title.php?ti=56

...in the late 80's when Giffen was on JLI and Bates was doing Captain Atom.

Would have been an awesome series except...

I absolutely hated that phase of Giffen's art...he was still mainly in his Munoz/Omen phase and just..yuck. I remember when he took over the pencilling chores on Hex as well...it was just crap that was basically indecipherable. You can comprehend what Munoz is drawing, and most of the guys that he inspired...you cannot comprehend what Giffen is drawing half the time in that style...unless he's plaigerizing Munoz.

I swear...he'd do pages that consisted of nothing more than a zig zag across a panel with a dot on it.

But anyway...if you want Bates and Giffen unleashed...there they are.

I actually bought the complete run of that series when it came out...because of the Legion connection and that it was a dream matchup.

Still got it floating around in the garage somewhere.

But seriously...Giffen's art was unmanageable in that era and pretty much ruined my enjoyment of any project he was working on as a penciller...including this one, and conceptually this was an awesome series. The scripting and plotting are great...this isn't the worst of the Munoz phase...he was starting to come out of it, but don't let that decipherable cover fool you...you open the book and it is instantly indecipherable.

#362812 07/29/08 10:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
With all the buzz going around about how Perez regrets never having a run on the Legion, you have to wonder what a nice long Levitz/Perez run would have looked like. Can you imagine how well it would have sold?

I'm curious if Staton's art would have been a match for some of the simpler Bates stories.

What if Kitson had stayed on when Shooter came on board? That would have been a pretty good match.

Giffen writing with Calero doing the art would be pretty amazing.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#362813 07/29/08 11:18 PM
Active
Active
it seems like we keep getting "older writer modern artist" or "modern writer, old artist" and neither of those work to me! i really want a modern writer like johns or bedard or waid with coipel or manapul.

i think coipel is exclusively marvel, unfortunately, but i'd love for him to do beautiful legion art again, especially now that his power has evolved a hundred fold.

#362814 07/29/08 11:59 PM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
Rejected Substitute Reservist
Tom & Mary Bierbaum and Adam DeKraker

...What? I think it would be great! laugh

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#362815 07/30/08 07:17 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
Hey I can't believe it, but I agree with Ricardo for once, Jim Shooter and Steve Lightle, Steve is like a hybrid of Swan and Cockrum.
If I had to pick an all-time favorite Legion artist, it would be Lightle, so yeah, this would be a cool dream team.

But if Dave Cockrum were still alive my vote would have been for him and Shooter, the two guys who created the things I most love about the Legion.
I love his costume sensibilities, even if his art doesn't always 'zing' me.

As for Paul Levitz I'd team him up with Alan Davis and Mark Farmer,
I'm not sure that Alan Davis' art works with many Legion writers. Can you imagine if Alan Davis had been tasked to draw the section of their history where everyone got all scarred up, maimed and / or killed, wore the same costumes and earth repeatedly got invaded/blowed up? Yikes! I don't think Alan's art lends itself well to dark, repetitive depressing storylines. He's less of a de-constructor.

The ultimate clash would be Alan Davis drawing Legion of Three Worlds. "Yeah, we want you to draw three different Legions of bright-eyed smiling children, and some nutjob dismembering and / or incinerating most of them!"

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#362816 08/01/08 09:33 AM
Active
Active
With all the buzz going around about how Perez regrets never having a run on the Legion, you have to wonder what a nice long Levitz/Perez run would have looked like. Can you imagine how well it would have sold?
IMHO Levitz/Perez has to be the Legion dream team

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star