Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler), 68 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Shooter off Legion?
#363429 05/31/08 04:30 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Straight from Dan Didio's mouth:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=158811

Is Jim Shooter definitely the writer on Legion?

“Yes, he has a minimum of a year’s worth of stories.”

#363430 06/02/08 01:37 AM
Active
Active

Is Jim Shooter definitely the writer on Legion?

“Yes, he has a minimum of a year’s worth of stories.”
DiDio has cleverly not made it clear when the clock starts.

If the year's worth starts with issue 37 then that still only takes him up to the end of this year - the same time L3W finishes.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#363431 06/02/08 06:24 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Now I'm wondering if he's part of the plans for anything post-Legion of 3 Worlds stuff. Didio did use the word "minimum" in describing Shooter's run which doesn't totally rule out more stuff from him.

Could Shooter still be part of a new revamped Legion if DC is going that direction?

Geoff Johns already has his hands full so far with his monthlies to take on another monthly/Big franchise book. Especially since he's on the main Superman titles with Supergirl, Green Lantern & Blackest Night, Flash Rouges mini, JSA....

#363432 06/02/08 07:09 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by VikingSpawn:
Now I'm wondering if he's part of the plans for anything post-Legion of 3 Worlds stuff. Didio did use the word "minimum" in describing Shooter's run which doesn't totally rule out more stuff from him.

Could Shooter still be part of a new revamped Legion if DC is going that direction?

Geoff Johns already has his hands full so far with his monthlies to take on another monthly/Big franchise book. Especially since he's on the main Superman titles with Supergirl, Green Lantern & Blackest Night, Flash Rouges mini, JSA....
I don't know, but in interviews, he has made it very clear that he would love to deal with a Superman & LSH book. As I mentioned once, He could have it co-plotting with George Pérez.

#363433 06/02/08 07:59 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I don't remember Johns stating anything about the future of SuperMAN & LSH except he had "some ideas". If anything, the buzz is about him "fixing" Aquaman next. I do however recall Didio teasing about a SuperBOY & LSH book a couple of months ago and polling panel attendees about it a conference.

I have my doubts a full blown relaunch is even pencilled in for 2009 but I wouldn't be surprised to see a SuperBOY & LSH mini - Year Two or Year Five or something. Not by Shooter though. I could be wrong but I can't imagine him wanting to adopt the Johnsboot after investing himself so deeply in the 3boot. And I suspect one part of the LITG rumor has a basis in fact -- that he got wind of what's happening in LO3W and didn't like what he heard.

#363434 06/02/08 08:41 AM
Active
Active
i'm relieved to hear the rumor squashed.
so what IS the outcome of LO3W? perhaps this 3boot team leaves with Superboy as an early member? that would be nice.
i could get behind that.
is anyone trying to contact Shooter for a little interview with LSH fandom? he's been friendly in the past.

Gorilla Nebula
#363435 06/02/08 09:01 AM
Active
Active
IIRC Johns has said that if he does any ongoing featuring the Legion it will be one featuring Superman or Superboy...

And Perez has said he's not really looking to be a regular artist on a monthly title at this stage of his career....

So unfortunately it doesn't look like we will get an ongoing monthly featuring those two...however, that would seem to bode well for Shooter. I mean who else are they going to get to do it? Giffen? :lol he'd come up with something none of us are prepared for.

If I was DC...I'd put Shooter in charge of the entire 31st century. It'd be basically what he did with Valiant only with the the future of the DC Uni.

#363436 06/02/08 09:14 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
i'm relieved to hear the rumor squashed.
so what IS the outcome of LO3W? perhaps this 3boot team leaves with Superboy as an early member? that would be nice.
i could get behind that.
is anyone trying to contact Shooter for a little interview with LSH fandom? he's been friendly in the past.
That's a very good point and it's something that would catch everyone off guard.

The W&K up to this point, is comprised entirely of the Adventure Era Legionaires...

Supergirl is a member of it...in the original continuity she pre-dated Superman in the Legion.

In fact the W&K chronilogically is so far on a similar path to the original, with the exception of TWolf, KK, Projectra and Shadowlass already being members.

And you know..the early part of the W&K Legion has not been chronicled, we don't even know if we've seen every member of the team.

Do we even know the origin of the team? I honestly can't remember. It's always seemed to me like this book basically launched 4 years into this Legion's history.

That would catch everyone off guard.

One thing I feel fairly certain of...

The ZH Legion is not going to be back in a title, because it simply did not sell well enough. That is the issue with bringing that one back in DC's eyes. At points that title sold under 20k copies per month. DC just has no incentive to relaunch that version.

But it does have one thing none of the others do...a bunch of well liked new and original Legionaires...Gates, XS, the usuals.

Those characters are going to wind up in some Legion somehwere, whether the the ZH Legion is erased or not...they'll either be re-introduced, or they'll jump a universe or timeline to integrate with either the W&K or the Action. And yeah...that move probably won't be any more popular with fans of that Legion than it was when DC did it with the original Legion.

#363437 06/02/08 09:32 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally posted by Superboy:
If I was DC...I'd put Shooter in charge of the entire 31st century. It'd be basically what he did with Valiant only with the the future of the DC Uni.
That would be cool to see.

#363438 06/02/08 09:44 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by VikingSpawn:
Originally posted by Superboy:
[b]If I was DC...I'd put Shooter in charge of the entire 31st century. It'd be basically what he did with Valiant only with the the future of the DC Uni.
That would be cool to see. [/b]
Cool, but I doubt that. He is so far from decisions at this point that it sounds very unlikely. And, for Superboy's happiness, I doubt Giffen will get to touch LSH anytime soon. Which is a pity, because he could get rid of Karate Kid and... However, I'd concede that Giffen should be working with a dialoguer to help him out.
And, please, no more from ZH Legion. That was a bad joke pressed upon us during some years, like: "hey, they've got cool clothes, just like that old LSH we screwed over!"

#363439 06/02/08 03:30 PM
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
The plot thickens....

Today's LITG

"On one hand, Dan DiDio's statement that Jim Shooter is definietly the writer on "Legion" because he has twelve issues of Legion written.

One the other, far too many comic pros at the Bristol convention (attended by DC) all convinced that Shooter had parted from DC. And the New York bar scene backing this up.

Could it be that Jim just worked well in advance?

We report, you decide!"

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#363440 06/02/08 04:50 PM
Active
Active
oh no. that sounds like classic corporate double talk. did DiDio every serve as a White House spokesperson? technically, he's being truthful, but he's not exactly forthcoming is he?

I don't why DC is being so coy. Legion of 3 worlds will probably have high sales, so they will probably going ahead an make any changes they have planned. on the other hand if the sales are low(not likely) what they are going to keep the status quo.

this whole pig sty of a situation with the LSH is symbolic for the DC Universe as a whole. ugh.

mad

#363441 06/02/08 09:20 PM
Active
Active
ugh.
didio IS karl rove!

Gorilla Nebula
#363442 06/02/08 10:21 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I think paying any more attention to Rich Johnston at this point is not worth our time. Even if Shooter's run is limited to a year's worth of issues that hardly qualifies him as "off the book" when he's got another 6 issues to go at least. And although my NYC bar knowledge is fairly limited, the ones here are usually full of drunks who talk a lot of BS.

#363443 06/02/08 10:27 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
At least we're guaranteed those 12 issues. It wouldn't surprise anyone if that version's wiped out after L3W, given all the hints, so we should take what we can get. And Didio DID say "minimum", so there's at least the possibility for more.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of negotiations going on between DC and Shooter, though, given all the cloak & dagger techniques going on.

In any case we know their are Shooter stories beyond what's been solicited, so I don't see any point in continuing to stretch it out beyond reason. We have more answers than we had on page one, and remember, we were only ever promised a 12-16 issue arc from him.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#363444 06/02/08 10:53 PM
Active
Active
... but it seems very logical, from all the talk, that THIS Legion is kaput. And Action LSH is for real. In that case, Shooter is filling the blanks for the next generation of Legion book(s) while it can't come for good. And if that is the case, there is some logic for all the secrecy.
Nowadays, I don't care much whose team is on (my favorite era is nowhere to be seen and will never come back) so I now am only counting on a great writer-artist team on the book. So far, Shooter and Manapul are probably the best team since TMK-Immonen. And that's considering Johns-Eaglesham on the Lightning Saga.

#363445 06/02/08 11:28 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, Ricardo, it probably is "kaput". The likely cause for all the secresy is that DC wants the Shooter run to sell as well as possible for the balance of its run. If they just come out and say it's gonna be "kaput" after L3W, the sales on it will probably tank because a significant segment of its buyers will bale knowing the continuity they're paying good money for is about to be dumped. If they've already paid Shooter for a year's worth of stories, then they'll want to get as much sales out of it as possible.

I don't remember getting any kind of warning, for example, about the Zero Hour reboot while reading "Legion on the Run", probably for the same reason. Maybe I was that out of the loop, but even as the #0 issues were published, and even a little beyond, it wasn't immediately apparent that this wasn't kind of a retcon of the SW6 adventures. I guess I was just in denial to help me cope with losing all that history.

Anyhow, I'd definitely prefer Shooter and Manapul to go forward for a long run, but I'm very cynical given all the signs to the contrary. But at least now I know we'll get pretty much what we were always promised--a year-or-so long arc from Shooter. Remember guys, we were never, ever promised anything beyond that, fan hopes and corporate teases notwithstanding.

#363446 06/02/08 11:37 PM
Active
Active
Hell, having the same artist and writer for 6 months at today's DCU is a miracle!

#363447 06/02/08 11:41 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Ricardo:
Hell, having the same artist and writer for 6 months at today's DCU is a miracle!
Sad but true! frown

#363448 06/03/08 03:57 AM
Active
Active
From the April of 2007 LITG:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=15529

SHOOTER OFF LEGION

With Mark Waid leaving "Legion," many thought this would be the moment Jim Shooter would take over the book.

That was certainly the belief at DC. Many of the people who had a problem with Jim Shooter elaborated upon here, have left the corporation, or have found their influence reduced, and the appointment had Levitz and DiDio's direct blessing.

However, in a twist of fate, I understand Shooter has left the Legion project on his own. Before anyone even had the chance to announce it.

No fear, Shooter's got his own project to work on based around selling the Kaballah to children, called "Seven." Not "Ten." I don't know why.
That's what Rich Johntson was saying in April of 2007. As you can see, he's been wrong about Shooter before. I'm glad I looked into it further because I was giving him a great deal of credit on his accuracy with Shooter reports in the past.

I've also seen him torn a new one by creators(like Mark Waid) for some of the rumors he publishes..

Basically this guy prints stuff, he doesn't give the sources and he doesn't even really print the context in which the statement was made by his sources...

So all he's got to do is print something he hears and then it's up the creators and companies to jump through the hoops he set up for them.

And then when he gets confronted all he has to do is point out that his column is a rumor column.

All this guy is saying is that that's what some creators were saying...he doesn't say if they were speculating, or people who would be in the know on this. He just says some people were saying it.

And even if he is right...DC and Shooter never promised Shooter would be on the book longer than a year...the only thing we have is Shooter saying he had a 16 part epic. That could easily have been condensed to a 12 part epic.

Is that Shooter leaving? Or just the end of a contract?

6 months from now is quitting the book in a huff, as the tone of the rumor seems to indicate he did?

And besides, a lot can happen in 6 months, even if this rumor is true Shooter or DC or whoever may both change their minds.

#363449 06/03/08 09:14 AM
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Oh he's made mistakes in the past that's true, but he's generally quite spot on...

What is actually very very odd that he would repeat a rumour AFTER it's been denied. It generally indicates that's there's more to it... And quite often, writers and artists will be the first to send him an email to deny a rumour of the sort. Visibly, no one from DC has contacted him to tell him he was wrong.

We'll see what happens anyway.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm not really fussed if the current incarnation of the Legion ends. While Shooter's run has been better than Waid's, it's still quite uneven in quality (last issue wasn't that good)

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#363450 06/03/08 03:56 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
We are all assuming that Lo3W is interfering with Shooter's plan & direction. It might well have been brought into play in order to set up Shooter's real plan & direction. At this point it could be that Shooter is in charge of bringing the WaK boot to a particular point where it can converge with the John's Lo3W mini. What flows out of that can easily be a well planned, adjusted reality that sets up Legion continuity at the point where Shooter wants it to be in order to take it fully in his own direction.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#363451 06/03/08 05:19 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Didio parsed his words pretty well in that 'denial,' so I'm still not entirely feeling it.

'Has a year's worth of stories' doesn't mean much.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#363452 06/03/08 05:42 PM
Active
Active
Well, don't forget than in addition to DC denying it, FJM in this very thread said it's a rumor column so take it with a grain of salt.

But just to play Devil's advocate...

One reason DC would answer the question in legalese like that is because if Shooter is indeed off the book, it could cause a severe drop in sales if people felt the arc wasn't going anywhere.

So there is a motivation for DC to cover this up...

At the same time I still say the Action Legion, was already announced before Shooter was back...and Shooter is very familiar with the financial bottomline, having been a suit for both Marvel and Valiant. He's had to hatchet, he knows why it's done, he knows when it's done...I just don't see him taking it personally, it just doesn't make much sense.

I know I asked Johnston specifically about that in a thread he was participating in, since everyone seems to have the recollection that Shooter came back before the Action Legion...and I didn't get a response from Johnston.

On top of that...it's pretty obvious Shooter wants back in the industry and this is his ticket.

Put it this way...disputes seem to follow Shooter around, and so if there's any uncertainty it's only natural for people to assume the worst, and this includes people within the industry.

Johnston doesn't sound certain at all...it just seems like he's wanting to see if he can make DC and Shooter jumps through his hoops and be an online power player as much as it seems that he's convinced of anything.

After all, what does Johnston have to lose? He can always just play the rumor card...no matter what happens. Printing rumors is what he does...

And making DC and Shooter jump through hoops wouldn't be bad for his business at all.

#363453 06/03/08 05:47 PM
Active
Active
One other thing I find confusing...

IF you read Johnston's column at some points it sounds like Shooter took himself off the book, and at others it sounds like DC took him off the book...

I mean which is it...did DC kill his Legion, or is Shooter killing it?

If Shooter signed a contract he can't just break it without a good reason can he? What's the point of a contract if he can?

There's also one thing that no one can really question about Shooter...he's the company man all the way, he always has been...even if his arc got axed I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be professional enough to finish it if DC(and Paul Levitz) were asking him too...especially since he's coming back from a blackball.

Getting taken off the book wouldn't kill his comeback...but leaving DC in the lurch certainly would...and Shooter's never left the company in the lurch...

He was fired from both Marvel and Valiant remember...he didn't quit.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star