Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Re: The Origin of ...
#366395 09/17/02 05:38 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
I wonder who will have post #100?

The suspense is ... oh, I see ...

Steve

#366396 09/17/02 06:28 PM
Active
Active
When she first appeared I imagined that she was from the same planet as Katma Tui and Sinestro from Green Lantern (although I've now forgotten what it's called) and had sort of super-athletic/animal control powers (didn't she hold what looked like a pole-vault/javelin type thing at the try-out? Or am I making things up now?)

So I always thought she could be called something like - Shanna! Or Jayna! Or one of those jungle-girl type names. Which, given the nature of this competition is a bit unhelpful...

I saw her appearance right at the end of the old Legion title too and thought that making her a were-tiger was a bit lame. Still, nice to see her though.

But what about the 30th century Batgirl? And "M" man? Those were nifty outfits too!

#366397 09/18/02 03:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Although I like Maxwell Demon's train of thought, I think her skin tone is too dark for a Korugaran.

I believe that she's from Tyrraz, Tyr's homeworld. In fact in LSH #57, one of her fellow cadets is R327 of Tyrraz. I would like to think that she was throwback of her feline-originated race (kinda like Deathbird of Marvel's Shiar). She was probably persecuted by her race for not liking technology or weapons and becoming a cyborg. And when the Legion immobilized her homeworld, she left to join them.
Maybe R327 is her brother who left his Warlord ways to be with his sister? If so then her real name is probably R-some-such number. So I'd give her a name that begins with an "R". Using the Jungle Girl theme, how about Rheema, the Tiger Girl?

BTW, Rima was one of DC's Jungle Babes in the 70's.

#366398 09/18/02 11:49 AM
Deputy
Deputy
If she is indeed from Tyrraz, why not something that incorporates tiger and Tyr...

Tyrgra
or
Tyrgress

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#366399 09/18/02 11:28 PM
Active
Active
My favourite pick of a name for a feline character has always been "Prowl".

Steve, add me to the list of those clamouring for more info on the "Batgirl" design. Was there a name for her and background?

#366400 09/19/02 03:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
DC may have altered Steve's tiger girl slightly like they did Allegra to become XS.
We might have seen her in the preboot TMK clone Legion as Catspaw.
Instead of using her claws on Timber Wolf, she used them on that icky Inferno.

Also, about Steve's comment that Tellus was never meant to have human anatomy ~ in the LSH Annual #2 1991, on pages 30 and 31, Valor finds the stolen metahumans in vats.

On page 30, we find that, "Not ALL of the subjects, however, can be returned to Dry life. . . "Their natural lives ended, these subjects could expect only further exploitation by the Dominators."
"556 had instructed Valor to terminate any subject in such a hopeless condition."
Valor says, "I can't do it. Forgive me, but I can't do it."

The subject looks very much like he's/she's on their way to becoming Telluses ~ multi humped back, both legs merging into one with a possible, unseen tail developing, face broadening with extended eye ridges and bumps on the sides of the face, among other traits.

I think that the writers might have planned for the Hykraius to be former metahumans on a seeded world.
I don't know if that would hold true postboot.

The Legion of the new era has shown Hykarians numerous times, though.
I found two, right away.

'Legionnaires' #43, we see in the crowd of tryouts, Tellus's (or another Hykarian's) back, along with Comet Queen, Color Kid, Infectious Lass, Calorie Queen Charma, Dev'em, Polar Boy, Crystal Kid, Fire Lad, Blockade Boy, Chlorophyll Kid, Psycho Kid, Stone Boy, Dragonmage and Night Girl, to mention those I recognized.
As well as a Borg, but I won't go into that.
smile

We see a Hykarian again, on the cover of 'Legionnaires' #57.

We saw a possible form of Quislet in a promo poster by Olivier some time ago, too.
Only time will tell.

But those two haven't been completely lost, yet.

Shady

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#366401 09/19/02 10:04 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Shadowplay in Candlelight:
We saw a possible form of Quislet in a promo poster by Olivier some time ago, too.
Only time will tell.

But those two haven't been completely lost, yet.

Somewhere else, somebody noted that the "Quislet" from the poster really was meant to be the ship "Bouncing Boy".

However, we have seen the likeness of Quislet in the new series...definitely not him...but a ship that looks just like him.

This is a quick scan from "The Legion Issue 5 - Page 5" as they approach the Kwai Town-ship:
http://www.draub.net/comics/lsh/quislet_siting_l5_pg5.jpg

Neat, eh? wink

#366402 09/19/02 12:07 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
I'm intrigued by the info you guys have dug up on Quislet & Tellus in the new continuity. I'd happily contribute to a story line that would re introduce either of my Legion children.

As was mentioned by another (I don't recall who), Quislet was not originally intended as an energy creature. In fact, when I got word that Paul & Greg were creating an origin for the character I actually volunteered an art patch which would have restored him to his original concept. They chose not to go with it, and thus he became an energy life form. I always felt that this rendered an otherwise very original character redundant, as the Legion already had An energy being in Wildfire.

Riddle me this ... Why would a society of energy beasts without eyes, create a inter dimensional spacecraft with a written symbol attached to it's exterior? That always stood out as an oddity to me.

Steve Lightle

#366403 09/19/02 12:30 PM
Deputy
Deputy
OK, now I'm intrigued. If not an energy-based creature, what was Quislet originally supposed to look like? Did you have anything specific in mind? What was your original concept for the character?
(By the way, Steve, I'm enjoying this thread immensely, thanks for hanging out with us)
Juan

#366404 09/19/02 04:56 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Didn't Quislet make a "cameo" as part of the Scavenger's collection in the first post-boot meeting with fake Superboy? I thought it was a joke at the time, an "easter egg," but then the Emerald Eye also made it's first post-boot appearance in the same issue in the same manner.

#366405 09/19/02 05:14 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I've heard that as well...but only have the first part of the story in the Scavenger's place...and wasn't able to find Quislet in that part...so I'll have to wait until I get the continuation to enjoy it.

#366406 09/19/02 07:12 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Here's an interesting development ... I just heard through these DC Message Boards that Mike McAvennie has been "let go." Since he is no longer editing the book, I wonder how this will effect my return to the Legion. I suppose I'll have to find out who the new editor is and make contact. Of course, it couldn't hurt if the fans on the DC Boards were to bring it to his/her attention. If you are interested in seeing me doing more Legion work, now would seem to be the critical moment to mention it.

However this plays out, I want to thank everyone who has expressed their interest in seeing me contribute more to the Legion. It was hearing about your enthusiasm for my work that brought me to these boards.

LLL!

Steve Lightle

#366407 09/19/02 07:36 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Doh! I hope that news doesn't become a deal breaker.

Well, the best of luck. I honestly don't know where to "make noise" about wanting you to return to the title other than here...and unfortunately, I don't have any false hope that what the fans "request" here gets taken into consideration. Well, maybe a little hope.

So if there is someone reading this that has any say...here's at least one fan who would love to have Steve Lightle back on the title

#366408 09/20/02 05:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
steve we love your work let's hope who ever the new editor is he loves your work too...and yeah we would like quislet back and tellus too...and guys yeah quislet was in that story of the legion and the clone superboy and scvanger...it was going to be part of my new thread subplots: fulfilled or yet to be fulfilled (or ignored). and yeah the eye was there as well...

#366409 09/20/02 11:19 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Draub said:

<< I honestly don't know where to "make noise" about wanting you to return to the title other than here...and unfortunately, I don't have any false hope that what the fans "request" here gets taken into consideration. Well, maybe a little hope. >>

About a year ago I contacted a DC editor about doing work on the Legion. I offered my services as a fill-in artist or a cover artist. Although the editor was very polite (even referring to me as Mr. Lightle), he didn't offer much hope that I might get Legion work at that time. He did tell me that he was very much aware that a vocal faction of Legion fandom wanted me to return to the series. Still, he went on to explain that "If we give the fans what they want, it may be interpreted as a lack of confidence in our current direction."

I'm not of the opinion that my contributing to the current continuity should be seen as any kind of threat to the status quo. I'd actually see it as a consolidation of two Legion factions that sometimes disagree.

Still, no matter what any one man might say, Legion fandom is a strong influence, and has had a long history of good relations with the creators. I can personally attest to that fact. Some people may put up an unusual resistance to it, but the will of Legion fandom is hard to ignore. Your voice matters.

So, even if you might feel that your opinion isn't being heeded by the decision makers ... I'll never forget your encouragement. It means a lot to me that you have consistently raised your voices in support of my contribution to the Legion.

Thank you ... and please ... keep it up.

Steve Lightle
(Legion fan and artist)

#366410 09/20/02 05:33 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Steve Lightle:
Draub said:
He did tell me that he was very much aware that a vocal faction of Legion fandom wanted me to return to the series. Still, he went on to explain that "If we give the fans what they want, it may be interpreted as a lack of confidence in our current direction."

The biggest difference in this situation is that the Legion creative team is a wide open book now. There's a hole to fill, and now is the perfect time for them to conform to the desires of fans and not lose any "corporate face" in the process.

Obviously, the reason for the creative hole to fill is unfortunate. I think McAvvennie had a good go at turning the Legion in a great direction...and I'll certainly miss Coipel...

However, that doesn't detract from the fact that this is a potential win-win situation for the fans and DC.

Yay! (can't stop saying that today).

#366411 09/20/02 11:46 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Still, he went on to explain that "If we give the fans what they want, it may be interpreted as a lack of confidence in our current direction."

Ah ... yah.

Interpreted by whom, I wonder. Legion FANS, if this board is any sort of representative selection, would LOVE to have you back on the title in any way, shape or form.

Casual readers probably wouldn't know about your history with the Legion and couldn't care less.

Only TPTB at DC would seem to mind. Perhaps it's their wisdom that a fan-favorite artist returning to a title he is best noted for is somehow detrimental to that title.

Who'da thunk it?

Maybe I've been in customer service too long, but the notion that people won't respect you if you give them what they want just seems ... odd.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#366412 09/21/02 10:59 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Perhaps it's their wisdom that a fan-favorite artist returning to a title he is best noted for is somehow detrimental to that title.

I'm sure there are those who'd say they're RIGHT, when put in the context of Giffen's return... wink

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#366413 09/21/02 10:59 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Juan said:
<< OK, now I'm intrigued. If not an energy-based creature, what was Quislet originally supposed to look like? Did you have anything specific in mind? What was your original concept for the character? >>

Scientists have long insisted that opposable thumbs were necessary for mankind to have ascended to his mastery of Earth ... but I started out with the idea of a possible exception to that rule. What if a species could manipulate his surroundings in a different manner? What would his physiology be like, if he had no need to physically manipulate matter? What if members of this theoretic race could animate matter and mold it to their needs? These are the questions that lead to the creation of Quislet.
I think that I was influenced along these lines while pondering what invisible forces operate on an atomic level to govern the building blocks of matter. What might the nature of those forces be?
Well ... I don't want to get too long winded this time, so I'll take up the subject of Quislet's origin again soon.
Until then ... have fun!

Steve Lightle

#366414 09/22/02 08:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Tease. smile

#366415 09/22/02 12:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Still, he went on to explain that "If we give the fans what they want, it may be interpreted as a lack of confidence in our current direction."

just like i ALWAYS suspected: four reboots of legion,getting rid of KATAR HOL,HAL JORDAN,SUPERGIRL, the mess that is the current SPECTRE,THE KINGDOM, giffens SUICIDE SQUAD,........

IS THIS DC 'S PHILOSOPHY??
(i am one hell of a dc fan,since age 5,as a matter of fact just before reading this post i was just re-reading steve's first stint as legion artist (baxter series #3),which is still great after all these years.)
if so ,(grudginly) MAKE MINE MARVEL!!

#366416 09/22/02 06:04 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Well ... I don't want to get too long winded this time, so I'll take up the subject of Quislet's origin again soon.
Until then ... have fun!

Steve Lightle

I am anxiously awaiting the continuation of my origin wink

------------------
"I don't want the world... I just want your half!"
They Might Be Giants "Ana Ng"

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#366417 09/22/02 07:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Steve if the powers that be had any consideration for longtime fans (I think I qualify since I've been following the Legion since 1971), then you'd be the new artist. Thisfan has his fingers crossed hoping that someone in editorial sees the "light". Pun intended.
Danno

#366418 09/23/02 10:00 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Bump! (The possibility of Steve's return to the Legion is just too tantalizing a thing to allow to fizzle out.)

I agree that the teaming up of Lightle and DnA could be a wonderful thing, and I hope that all three parties agree. In all likelihood, such a development probably wood promote some badly needed harmony among post-boot and pre-boot fans. More importantly, the cooperative efforts of these creative power-houses would certainly bring about some equally powerful stories.

Now, this may be a naive thing for me to request, but would it be possible for DnA themselves to publicly weigh in on the matter of Steve's return to the Legion's pencils? In any event, I'd enjoy hearing from you guys about anything (I really appreciate the fact that, just like Mr. Lightle, you've previously taken the time to talk to your fans on these message boards.)

Good luck, Steve! And keep up the good work, Dan and Andy!

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#366419 09/24/02 11:30 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
Steve, I also loved your work on the Legion. The Legion women never looked better! I do have a question, as well. Why was the Legion rebooted? I am still not clear on this. Also, how was the decision to reboot recieved by other staff at DC, including those working on the Legion? Just wondering...and thank you very much for taking the time to hang with us Legionphiles!

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star