Roll Call
0 members (), 118 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:25 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/28/24 08:39 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:30 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:28 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:26 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why is my computer so slow?
#368187 07/26/04 01:44 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
So I bought MacAffee anti-virus and downloaded spyware doctor, and got rid of lots of adware and viruses and stuff.

But now it seems like my computer is going very slow. Websites take longer to download, and I can't get movie trailers play.

Does anyone have any idea why, or how to get my computer back to normal speed? It used to be waaaaaay faster! Please help!

Re: Why is my computer so slow?
#368188 07/26/04 02:09 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Things may be slower because you no longer have those web pages cached... Your computer saves images for faster pageloads on pages you've already been to. Chances are, aeverything's been cleared and everything's loading new as if you've never been there before. Happens to me when I use IE properties to routinely delete files left by websites.

The movie trailers may be a side-effect of the spyware doctor... does it have some sort of firewall function? If so, or if you're using another firewall, try setting your preferences for whatever program you use to view the trailers to allow internet access.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#368189 07/26/04 02:12 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You're new Spyware software is probably stopping some of the items from loading. I ran into a similar problem with a program like Spyware. They block things like DirectX and ActiveX and pop up windows. I couldn't even get the Graemlin window to work here on LW and I had set LW as one of the exempt sites. Could never figure out how to fix it, so I ended up deleting the whole program.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#368190 07/26/04 02:15 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Thanks for the feedback guys! Everyone else, keep it comin' smile

The Spyware program does block ActiveX, although I have no idea what ActiveX is. I'll have to get into it and see if I can allow myself to view trailers and make certain sites exempt.

If I have to, I might just delete it like you did, Vee.

#368191 07/26/04 02:16 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Good answer, Vee. I forgot about ActiveX components and the llike... shocked

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#368192 08/21/04 08:04 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
'Bout time you upgrade, Cobes. The VIC-20 is a thing of the past!

#368193 08/21/04 08:27 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Varalent:
You're new Spyware software is probably stopping some of the items from loading. I ran into a similar problem with a program like Spyware.
C.K., I had the same problem, and like V., I removed the program, but I also deleted my Windows XP account, and then used my wife's account. After all that, my computer was back up to speed. That spyware/adware blocker really slows the computer down as it's blocking those annoying pop-ups. It's like a war is going on between the pop-ups and the blocker, and it's utilizing all the computer's energy.

Now I don't download ANYTHING, and the pop-ups no longer appear on my screen, and all the websites I access load up instantly.

Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php
#368194 08/22/04 02:11 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by STU:
'Bout time you upgrade, Cobes. The VIC-20 is a thing of the past!
I don't even know what VIC-20 means! smile

Cap, that's what I've done. I also have a pop-up stopper installed, and I'm positive that it's making my computer slower too. I guess I should also uninstall that too.

My computer is a bit faster again, although not as it once was. Thanks for the tips guys!

#368195 08/22/04 05:19 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
[b]'Bout time you upgrade, Cobes. The VIC-20 is a thing of the past!
[/b]
VIC-20, Atari 400, AMIGA, whatever. :rolleyes: wink

#368196 08/23/04 12:27 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Are you sure it's your computer that's slow Cobalt? wink tongue

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#368197 08/23/04 01:55 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Sanity wink !

Actually, I just uninstalled my Panicware Pop-Up Stopper, and suddenly my computer is fast again! I'm working on it right now to see if it's as fast as it once was. I should have known that was what was doing it all along. Thanks Captain Dallas, and everyone else!

#368198 08/23/04 02:29 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
[b]
[b]'Bout time you upgrade, Cobes. The VIC-20 is a thing of the past!
[/b]
VIC-20, Atari 400, AMIGA, whatever. :rolleyes: wink [/b]
I tell you, these kids today... lol wink

#368199 08/23/04 07:05 PM
Active
Active
Actually, I just uninstalled my Panicware Pop-Up Stopper, and suddenly my computer is fast again!
Glad to hear it. Now you need to resist the urge to download programs. That's where the problem starts.

My computer slowed down due to two "legitimate" downloads. I downloaded Weatherbug.com for local weather updates. That slowed my computer down considerably. When pop-up ads began to appear on my screen every 60 seconds (no joke), I installed a pop-up blocker..., and then I couldn't accomplish ANYTHING on my computer.

I had also downloaded ESPN motion so I could watch sports highlights on Espn.com. I eventually had to delete my Windows XP account because the ESPNMotion corrupted my account so badly I couldn't even open Internet explorer.

Lesson: Even seemingly "legitimate" downloads can make your computer crap-out.

#368200 08/24/04 01:08 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
It's fast again, but still not as fast as it once was. I'm resisting the urge to uninstall MacAfee, b/c it's so good and I payed for it.

So I guess I have to search through my system and look for other crap that I've downloaded, or downloaded itself, and delete and uninstall it.

#368201 08/26/04 01:38 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Alright, latest update, please help if you can smile :

I uninstalled my pop-up blocker. I then installed Spybot, b/c I heard it was good, and I wanted something to run at the end of the night to remove all the Adware and Spyware.

Everything was good until last night. Suddenly, I can't open my "My Computer", "My Documents", "My Network Places", etc. icons! I don't know why! But I have no trouble opening Internet Explorer!

Do you guys think this might from SpyBot? From some virus or something? From some dastardly scheme?

Please help frown

And thanks for helping me with computer stuff guys...me and computers just don't seem to like each other...

#368202 08/26/04 02:03 PM
Active
Active
Everything was good until last night. Suddenly, I can't open my "My Computer", "My Documents", "My Network Places", etc. icons! I don't know why! But I have no trouble opening Internet Explorer!
Yeah, that sounds like what happened to me (except I could NOT open Explorer). When you shut down, does everything that you opened and can't see suddenly appear on the screen?

#368203 08/26/04 02:45 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Yup, that's exactly what happened last time. I guess it's time to uninstall SpyBot too.

When you uninstalled Cap, were you able to open all that stuff up again, or did you have to take further steps?

#368204 08/26/04 04:12 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Cobalt:

What OS are you using? Sounds like Windows, but 95/98/ME/2000/XP?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#368205 08/26/04 04:42 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Windows XP. What do you have in mind?

One thing I was worried about was that the SpyBot may have removed something important that wasn't supposed to be removed. Is this a possible problem?

#368206 08/26/04 05:22 PM
Active
Active
Yup, that's exactly what happened last time. I guess it's time to uninstall SpyBot too.

When you uninstalled Cap, were you able to open all that stuff up again, or did you have to take further steps?
Unfortunately, you're going to have to take a drastic step..., delete your Windows XP account.

When you first boot up the computer, do you have a choice of accounts to access or only yours?

For instance, when I boot up my computer, I can access one of three accounts:

Kira
Kimberly
Shannon

(My two daughters and my wife.)

I had to delete my account due to the problems you're experiencing, C.K.

If you don't have another XP account besides your own, create one and then transfer all of the files from your old account to your new one. Then delete your old account.

I experienced your problems a few months ago, and after I consulted with my university tech support people, I was told the ONLY way to fix the problem was to delete the account.

Questions?

#368207 08/26/04 05:26 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Ok, that sounds like something I'm going to need to do. I'm a bit nervous about it. I don't have another account besides my own (called 'Des').

How exactly do I create another one, transfer my files to this one, and then delete my current one?

Thanks guys for everything so far and any more help you give me.

#368208 08/26/04 05:30 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Windows XP. What do you have in mind?
Just checking, since a Win 9x/ME box is more likely to have problems. Did you buy it with XP, or is that upgraded from an older version?

One thing I was worried about was that the SpyBot may have removed something important that wasn't supposed to be removed. Is this a possible problem?
Not unless you had something nasty tied directly into the OS, which isn't likely. Spybot CAN break programs which depend on spyware/adware, but it's upfront about it. And at any rate, provided you have System Restore on (you DO, don't you?), you should be able to hit rewind, since Spybot creates a Restore Point in XP every time you make significant changes (unless you have System Restore off, or you've disabled the option from within Spybot [which since you've confessed to a certain degree of computer ignorance, isn't likely since it'd require you to use Spybot's Advanced mode]), so you should be able to revert if absolutely needed.

In order once you've done what capt_dallas said (since his advice is specific - this is just general good practice), do the following:

1) Update VirusScan's definitions (although this shouldn't be needed, since you've got the autoupdate turned on, haven't you, it's still a good idea). Scan. Never even THINK of turning it off unless you're upgrading/replacing it and you're offline at the time.

2) Update Spybot's definitions. Scan.

Make sure you've got a firewall (like ZoneAlarm . I'm still using 4.5, since there was some trouble with early v5, but 5 should be okay by now).

I also recommend downloading & running AdAware Personal and Spyware Blaster (neither of which ahve Resident programs - you only run AdAware Personal to scan and update & Blaster to update it)

If you're convinced Spybot is the cause of your current problem, here's their Official Forum: http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?act=SC&c=7

Obviously though, the more programs you run, the more memory & CPU cycles they'll take up and your computer will slow a bit. With a firewall, Spybot Resident and a [current, updated] anti-virus program, things will be a bit slower, but it's Safe or Sorry, and you've already tried Sorry as I recall.

#368209 08/26/04 05:37 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I've definately tried Sorry smile

I already updated Virus Scan and ran it, and nothing came out of it. I ran SpyBot again, and nothing appeared there either.

Here's the first step I've taken, after worrying it might be SpyBot. I'm restoring all the systems on it (you're right, I never changed anything and it still existed). I want to see what this does and if things will go back to normal. So if Spybot did screw things up, this should restore it.

After this, I'm going to see where to go next. SoM and Cap, you guys are really great, I appreciate everything. Keep all the suggestions coming.

Oh, here's one more thing about my computer I've learned: I ran 'HouseCall' on it's free website, since I've been told it can give a quick run through your computer and tell you what's on it. It scanned for viruses, and found one that it could not remove 'Troj. SMALL KQ' in 'windows\msopt.dll'. When I ran both McAffee adn Spybot, it never came up in either. Have you guys (or anyone else) ever heard of this, and have any idea how to get it off?

#368210 08/26/04 05:41 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
How exactly do I create another one, transfer my files to this one, and then delete my current one?
Go to the Control Panel, then User Accounts (if you've got the subcategories on, I can't remember which one it's in offhand, but it shouldn't be too hard to find). Then click on "Create a New Account" and follow the instructions.

If you're not given an option to copy the files over, they'll be in (I'm assuming the C:\ drive, since that's by far the most likely, but it could be elsewhere) C:\Documents and Settings\Des . Copy everything you need out of there to the equivalent location in C:\Documents and Settings\(New Account).

#368211 08/26/04 05:44 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,981
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Catonyx
Catonyx
Badlands
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star