Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 121 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why is my computer so slow?
#368212 08/26/04 05:46 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Thanks SoM! I'm going to do the virus thing first, then get to the account transfer. I'll update this thread with my progress.

#368213 08/26/04 06:05 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Ok, virus Deleted. That's a relief. Thanks SoM smile

Now I'm going to create new account/transfer files.

#368214 08/26/04 06:15 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
SoM, I've created a new user Administrator User account (Desmond). Now I'm unsure how to transfer the files.

I can go to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.Des and copy everything, but I don't know where to paste it. Should a new file have popped up, under Administrator.Desmond now? I'm a bit unsure of where to transfer it to.

#368215 08/26/04 06:18 PM
Active
Active
I'm crossing my fingers, C.K.....

Let us know the result.

Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php
#368216 08/26/04 06:20 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
There should be a folder containing the name "Desmond" in C:\Documents and Settings

Paste the stuff in there from Desmond, after clearing your internet cache (Internet Options | Delete Files) from Des (once you've done that, DON'T go back into Des)

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#368217 08/26/04 07:21 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Ok, I'm in my new user account (I've named it "Cobalt", not "Desmond", b/c I was worried "Desmond" was too close to "Des").

I think I've been able to transfer all my old files from C:\Documents and Settings over. I've got all my old papers and documents, music on Media Player and other stuff.

So far, so good--I think. I can open all that stuff that I wasn't able to before. A few things:

-I don't have all the icons on my computer top like before. I guess I just have to re-set it up like I first did.

-It also looks like I'm going to have to go through all the 'first' screens of every program again, like I was opening them up for the first time. Both of these are no biggie, it's good to know I can use my computer.

-I've lost all of my old favorites on Internet Explorer. Is there anyway you know of that I can get them all back?

All in all, it looks like the problem is getting solved. Now I have to delete my old account.

I haven't re-entered the 'Des' account yet, and from what you say, that's good. I'm thinking of deleting that username account now and sticking with this one. Is it cool to proceed now?

Thanks guys smile

#368218 08/26/04 08:26 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Is it cool to proceed now?

Thanks guys smile
I think you have to change the "Cobalt" account from a "Limited" account to a "Computer Administrator" account. I'm assuming "Des" is a "Computer Administrator" account. When you delete "Des", you want to make sure "Cobalt" is already a "Computer Administrator" account (Windows XP can have several "Computer Administrator" accounts.)

Like when you created the "Cobalt" account, Go to "Control Panel" then click open "User Accounts," then click "Change an account", then click "Cobalt" then click "Change the account type" and change it from "Limited" to "Computer Administrator".

SoM, am I right on this?

Regarding your other issues, it's like you're starting from scratch..., except you've kept your important files and documents. Like you wrote, you just have to re-set everything.

#368219 08/26/04 09:21 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Cap, I saw that already and changed the "Cobalt" account to administrator. Since I didn't have any other accounts on my computer, the second one I registered had to be an administrator. Thanks for the heads up though!

I think I'm all set at this point. I'm going to delete the old account and see how it goes.

Cap and SoM, you have no idea how thankful I am for this. Thanks guys smile

#368220 08/27/04 05:24 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Your IE favourites should have been in C:\Documents and Settings\Des\Favorites. Did you make sure to "Show all Hidden and System Files" first?

Ah well - let us know if you're up & running.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#368221 08/27/04 07:53 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I didn't see a place to hit 'Show all Hidden and System Files', since I copied and pasted 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.Des' into the Cobalt folder.

So far, so good. Everything is working fine. As for my favorites, I was able to find them and add them back in, and my music and other stuff was still there. I'm pretty sure I can find anything else that I think might be missing.

SoM and Cap: thank you guys. A LOT smile .

Here's a question now: should I keep SpyBot? I'm considering uninstalling it.

One other thing: previously, I had my laptop set up in a way that my mouse could go 'back', 'forward', 'minimize', etc. if I hit certain areas of it. I can't remember how to get to that screen. Do you know this off-hand?

#368222 08/27/04 07:59 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
No, do NOT uninstall Spybot.

I wouldn't know for sure with the mouse. Check Control Panel | Mouse as yer most likely spot to fix it.

#368223 08/27/04 09:01 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
SoM and Cap: thank you guys. A LOT smile .
No problem at all. I wish I had consulted SoM a few months ago when I was having the same problem. Computer problems drive me CRAZY, so I'm more than willing to help someone else solve theirs.

Here's a question now: should I keep SpyBot? I'm considering uninstalling it.
Like SoM wrote, keep it. You'll know soon if SpyBot is the cause of the slow-down. I'm pretty sure I wrote earlier in this thread that I discovered that the cause of my computer slow-down was a plug-in for ESPN.com. I was able to watch sports highlights on espn.com through their "ESPN Motion." It was this ESPN Motion that eventually hijacked my computer to the point of what you experienced: I couldn't open "My Computer" or other programs. I don't *think* SpyBot is the cause of the slow-down. It's probably something else that you down-loaded.

Like I've written before, my best advice to you right now is to download NOTHING. The next time you have the urge to download something from the internet, ask yourself, do I REALLY need this, or am I downloading this for some temporary amusement? If the answer is the latter choice, just say "NO." laugh

#368224 08/27/04 12:40 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Keeping SpyBot sounds good. And from now on, I'm not downloading anything without asking about it first here on Legion World.

It appears that not only is my computer back to normal, it's faster again--which was my original problem and the reason I started this whole thread. It's not as fast as it was in the first month I bought it, but having an updated MacAfee, and now SpyBot as you guys say, is worth it.

SoM- I'm pretty sure that's where I have to go for the mouse. Thanks!

Guys, thanks a ton. I was freaking out last night, and my computer seems back to normal now. Now if only I could get those whole job situation and love-life problems fixed... laugh

In fact, if you see this thread bumped up again from time to time, it'll probably be me asking for advice on computer questions.

#368225 08/28/04 11:19 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You guys are the best. Now I know where to go if I have computer problems!

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#368226 08/28/04 11:48 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
They really are! This has been probably the most stressful week I've had in about five years, and my computer going nuts the other night only made it worse. Thanks to SoM and Cap Dallas, I was able to get that little problem squared away. Thanks guys smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,974
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star