Roll Call
0 members (), 39 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Moderators
#369535 07/14/03 03:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Re; what's allowed and not - What about commercial promotion - selling something, Legion-related or not?

I don't have a firm opinion on this, and I don't have anything for sale - but I know it has been a problem on some other (not comics-related) MBs. At what point does the mod draw the line? My husband moderates a sailing group and his policy was to just prohibit any commercial promotion - a bit severe, but it was easier (and less time-consuming) than trying to judge the merits of each case.

There have been links to eBay sales for Legion-related items on other Legion boards - I find this interesting and useful, but it hasn't been too frequent either. Just raising this as a point to consider or discuss.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#369536 07/14/03 04:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
If you cannot resize yourself then send them my way. I do not mind.

MMMmmmmmm!....nope, best to leave that one alone.

#369537 07/14/03 05:02 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Re; what's allowed and not - What about commercial promotion - selling something, Legion-related or not?

I don't have a firm opinion on this, and I don't have anything for sale - but I know it has been a problem on some other (not comics-related) MBs. At what point does the mod draw the line? My husband moderates a sailing group and his policy was to just prohibit any commercial promotion - a bit severe, but it was easier (and less time-consuming) than trying to judge the merits of each case.

There have been links to eBay sales for Legion-related items on other Legion boards - I find this interesting and useful, but it hasn't been too frequent either. Just raising this as a point to consider or discuss.
If you are selling homemade Legion (or any comic) related material then the answer would be no. DC really frowns on sites that have sales of items of their liscensed characters and they have been known to step in and shut down sites that promote this.

As to posting links to eBay, that is okay. eBay is the responsible part there and we are just providing links for our enjoyment.

If you guys want to set up a trading forum for comics and figures or whatever, we could do that. As long as it is explained up front that the site (or Gary and myself in particular) are not responsible/liable for sales or trades and are in no way profiting for said sales then we are safe.

Does that sound agreeable?

#369538 07/14/03 06:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Very. Thanks, Scott.

My two cents…

In regards to what is spamming, spamming to me is posting the same topic over and over again with no regards to stimulating discussion. It’s posting a totally unrelated picture in a thread just to get attention and a negative reaction from your fellow posters. In both cases, I would hope that we the Administrators and Moderators would delete all but one of the threads and delete the post containing the picture or the picture within the post.

Examples of what’s NOT spam would be Lash, TD, FC and EDE doing post-a-thons as they usually stimulate discussions and rarely repeat themselves – Kid Prime, Greybird, rhino and Boy with Ultra Powers including pictures in their threads, since they are in threads pertaining to their subject matter (not cluttering anyone else’s conversations).

Now then, the topic of moving threads to a ‘holding area’ was raised. I don’t like that idea as I feel it would further clutter this MB (we already have fun & off-topic forums). I’d prefer that a Moderator would lock the offending thread and bring it to the attention of Scott and me. At which point, we’ll determine what to do with it and either unlock, move, or delete the thread ourselves.

#369539 07/14/03 09:33 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
All well and good with me Gary. I agree that locking any threads that mods may find offending and letting us know so a determination as to its fate can be made is the best course to take.

And finally to answer Princess Cru's input. While I like the idea of having a global set of moderators I'm not sure that it would be feasible at this early stage. I can only think of a couple off the top of my head that might except a nomination and that would be asking them to moderate more than one forum, if they were nominated for that forum. Once we grow a bit more in membership this would be a good goal to accomplish. For now, you'll have to settle with me being on line, day and night. I'm usually around from the time I get to work in the morning (5:30 am Mountain) until 2:30 pm and them from around 5:00 pm until Midnight (sometimes later).

I'm sticking with the 6 month term limits for now but am still mulling the limit of one term a year. It is another one that the factor of membership size and willing participants has a major effect on. For the start, I'll probably allow a mod to serve two terms in one year.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input. And if you know of someone who doesn't want to be considered or you don't want to be considered, please comment here about that. I'll put the names of those not wanting to participate in each of the nomination threads when I start them.

#369540 07/15/03 02:53 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Since you asked, I'll state that I don't want to be a moderator. Not entirely to avoid responsiblity, but my computer is quirky and I can't always/reliably access some threads or boards.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#369541 07/15/03 04:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
frown That's a shame, FC. I think you and EDE would make excellent Moderators. I hope you both reconsider. The Moderator gig is for fun. Don't let all of this serious mumbo-jumbo scare you guys off. Also, your computer can't be anymore wacky than the one I'm using.

This message board was meant to be fun. I think some of you guys are taking things a little too seriously. Leave those tedious details to Lightning Lad wink .

Discaimer to the above statement: I really appreciate you guys caring enough to provide us with feedback. Thanks.

#369542 07/15/03 06:25 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I, too, am sorry you do not want to be a moderator at this time Fat Cramer. But that does not mean you can't change your mind later on.

And I apologize if I seem to be sucking the fun out of this. I just want to be sure, especially on this issue, that everyone gets a chance to be heard.

#369543 07/15/03 08:06 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
"Sucking the fun out"? Don't worry, amigo mio, you're not. It's better to thrash through some of these matters in advance, if possible. It prevents a lot of non-fun coming down later.

#369544 07/15/03 08:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I would just likr to go on record as stating that I think both Fat Cramer and EDE would do an excellent job as well.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#369545 07/15/03 11:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oh sure, KP. You don't think I see through your plans for the Transformer takeover of Legion World? You just want a wussy moderator like me to make it easy for you.

See, I'm already off topic. Back on topic:

As Grey stated, much better that things be settled, to the extent possible, up front. Good fences make good neighbours.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#369546 07/15/03 11:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
But with all the moderator elections going on, how are we ever going to find time to have Legion World Leader and Deputy Leader elections??? :-)
Elections?? Elections?? I say damn this experiment with democracy. Put Lightning Lad and Nightcrawler in as King Emperor's or tyrant/dictator. Pish with this listening to the plebs wink

Actually being serious for a min. Whilst I am all in favour of getting people in to help take some of the pressure off these two guys, Do we really need that many people as Mods. I dont know much about the mechanics of moderating (which i guess lets me out of the job) but unless there are, as was suggested, some guidlines will it not become a case of too many cooks?

Not serious concerns because I am happy to go with the flow. smile just random thoughts

Faithfull
#369547 07/16/03 10:40 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
I would just likr to go on record as stating that I think both Fat Cramer and EDE would do an excellent job as well.
Thanks KP (and Nighty, too!), but really the whole Legion HQ thing scared me off from the moderator job for the time being. It turned out to be a MUCH bigger deal than I was expecting, and, while I've no doubt that these boards would be much easier, I don't want to take the chance of committing myself to more than I really can handle.

#369548 07/17/03 06:35 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just now saw and read this thread!

Put me on the list of DON'T WANT TO BE A MODERATOR please!

What was really just a sweet gesture over at LHQ (being elected a Mod) became a 'net nightmare of monolithic proportions and I (as well as the other Mods) was caught between the "Why aren't you DOING something" and the "What the hell are you DOING?" rock and hard place. It was a Lose-Lose situation, and I don't like those.

I agree with Cru, the LMB has always been an excellent self-moderated forum and I am sure that will continue.

But I agree that Scott & Gary need others to help out and give them down-time, and there may come a time when LEGION WORLD may need defendng from 'net hooligans. There should be others who have the power to do that. Scott & Gary can't be everywhere.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#369549 07/17/03 02:34 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
What Lash said.

#369550 07/17/03 02:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Would board wide mods elected for a 6 month period be better than 1/3 of the registered users being mods be better?

Elect 3 - 5 board wide mods, and loosely assign areas to watch.

Or

Elect 1 mod for each forum, and up to 3 board mods.

At anothe board I moderate at, I've been a board mod, and it seems to be a little better for me than being a forum mod...I've done both, and have been an admin there...it gives you the ability to move/fix things when you see them, and provides more even coverage if one mod is away for a while.

Just some thoughts...

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#369551 07/17/03 04:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have to say that I think I agree with Dave/Dev on the number of mods, unless perhaps we are going to allow people, if voted in, to be mods on more than one board. That might cut down the numbers a bit.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#369552 07/20/03 09:17 AM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
I think being a moderator would be fun...

#369553 07/20/03 06:42 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well my weekend got pissed away and I didn't get a chance to even start this process. I'm going to give it another week for some more discussion and maybe get some more members in the group.

And I don't see a problem with letting someone moderate in more than one forum, as long as we don't have the same moderators in all forums.

#369554 07/20/03 07:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Don't worry Scott, I don't think that this is a pressing issue.

Besides, as you stated, we have some more recruiting to do. smile

#369555 07/26/03 03:56 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Stu:
I think being a moderator would be fun...
Everything's fun until it bites a chunk of your ass off....

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#369556 07/26/03 09:33 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Originally posted by Stu:
[b] I think being a moderator would be fun...
Everything's fun until it bites a chunk of your ass off.... [/b]
There'll be no ass-biting in this forum, no sir.*

*Not unless specifically requested, that is.

#369557 08/10/03 11:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Some of you may notice that we have moderators now. Those individuals have been drafted by me with Scott's consent. I have a few others who I'd like to give the title to as well, but for various reasons have decided not to.

I believe that we will still hold elections as most of the forums will have three advisors assigned to it. It's only a matter of time. [Linked Image]

#369558 08/10/03 11:51 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
So what can moderators do?

#369559 08/11/03 12:08 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
  • Headline topics that they think should be headlined.
  • Delete duplicate topics.
  • Edit or delete excessive dupliclate posts.
  • Move any topic that seems totally unappropriate from their forum to the appropriate one.
  • Close topics that get out of hand, such as legitimate flame wars and such.
  • Remove any obvious spam from their forum.
  • Help any newbies out with features or problems while the founders are away.
  • Keep the founders aware of any questionable activities by the posters in their forums.
  • Just be the nice and wonderful posters that we know and love you as. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SoM
SoM
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star