Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legionworld - a Blight on Legion Fanism?
#370308 12/15/04 09:13 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I don't know how many of you here even bother with Yahoo Groups anymore. Seems most of the Legion ones (with the exception of the LMBP and Legion 3004) are vast wastelands of nothing. Not that I have anything against them, I think Yahoo has come close to killing off the Groups. But I still subscribe to most digest wise.

One of the oldest ones that I'm aware of is Legion-List (established Oct. 1999). I really can't say that I've ever paticipated much except to maybe answer a question or two but I really don't think we've deserved the latest round of postings. Of course I could post counter-points to what I'll post here but I don't have the time nor do I feel like wasting what time I do have on this group any longer. Sort of the "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Anyone who believes that their group doesn't go off on a tangent or start heated arguments is deluded. Anyway, here is there latest. True or not?

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:46:20 -0000
Subject: Legionworld - a blight on Legion fanism?

Hi!

I guess the people that set the Legionworld site up thought they were doing the right thing but...has anyone that's had a look at it
recently thought it's just like one big clique?

Don't we all want to talk about how great Phantom Girl's flares are? That site's nuts. I don't get it.

Anyway, that's my contribution for the day! Glad to be here!

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:56:43 -0000
Subject: Re: Legionworld - a blight on Legion fanism?

Well I can't say that we haven't gone there and there are stranger places a group can go. Trust me, I've seen it (even helped cause a slight degree of strangeness smile ). Jump right in over here with anything you want. It's quiet now but good lord do we post in bunches.

Terry

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:48:36 EST

I thought it was okay, but didn't join... it does seem a bit like a "clique."

Not that it's bad... just never felt like jumping into the threads there.

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:34:13 -0800 (PST)

I posted regularly on the old DC Boards before they re-formatted them and ruined them. Initially, I didn't post at Legionworld because of technical problems. I registered at received a screen name and set my password, but I couldn't log in with it. By the time I got it working, I'd lost interest. I've pretty much dropped out of Legion fandom lately. I still read the book religiously (or will when the
new one comes out) but you can only discuss the same topics over and over so many times. What drove me crazy at both the boards and LW, especially over the last few years, is no one really talked about the book itself. Everyone was more interested in talking about which Legionnaire is the most powerful, who should be
gay, Legion vs. X-Men, JLA, etc, 101 uses for a dead Legionnaire, etc. Silly topics seem to rule, and even topics such as a gay Legionnaire that could be interesting, turn into flame wars or regress off topic. I've honestly seen posts about the book itself go virtually unanswered while topics like Tinya's bellbottoms go for pages and pages. Some of the more interesting posters with opinions that didn't agree with the DnA direction pretty much left the board because people got so nasty with them. After that, it just became such a clique that I lost interest.

Re: Legionworld - a Blight on Legion Fanism?
#370309 12/15/04 09:17 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
aliaslad is Andrew (CK) stirring up shit because he was kicked off LW for being a dick. What a jerk.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#370310 12/15/04 09:31 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
That's what I was thinking. But I don't even pretend to know everyone's ALTs.

#370311 12/15/04 10:13 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You could almost say that any established site that you join can appear cliquish, simply because it's always tough to be the new kid in a group full of long-term friends. However, I think we go farther out of our way to make people feel welcome than most other places.

I think it's simply a matter of someone trying to stir up trouble.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#370312 12/15/04 12:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I love how someone can think that one place (LW) is a big clique, so they go somewhere else, another clique (Legion List), and talk about them.

This is a total "WHATEVER" in my opinion.

I've been part of lots of different online fan forums and can say for sure that a person is responsible for their own level of enjoyment. There are always going to be a group of people who know each other better than others. They see a lot of new people come and go. The ones who fit in are the ones who want to fit in.

LegionWorlders, don't let stuff like this get you down!!! We do like our silly stuff and we do discuss actual published appearances. We are open and inviting. We are a great resource for any Legion fan. LLL!

#370313 12/15/04 12:33 PM
Active
Active
I call bullshit! I just joined here a little over a month ago, and you guys went out of your way to make me feel welcome. Sure there are some "in-jokes" among the people who have been here from the beginning, but it's like that everywhere. LONG LIVE LEGION WORLD!!!
Brainiac53

There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!
#370314 12/15/04 12:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
legionworld is the second online site i've ever felt comfortable to take an active part in (WEF was the 1st)

i mean, outside of sex sites of course

lol

is it cliquish? i don't know
i do know there are so many different kinds of people and interests on legionworld that i felt like i could join up and take part

also, so many posters made me think or laugh and that's usually a good sign that i want to join the party

on legionworld, i've geeked out, met some cool people, talked about everything from Legion to comics to HIV to my own grad school troubles and been promoted to adviser of the polls section (probably a direct result of the geek-out moments i mentioned) -- this is a place where many of my worlds meet, not just legion

#370315 12/15/04 12:52 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I wouldn't pay much attention to it. Everyone who is outside a group looking in will feel it is cliquish unless they make an effort to get involved. No site can be the "be all and end all" for everyone out there. I think we are much more open and welcoming here than any other website I have ever visited and that's really all you can ask for.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#370316 12/15/04 01:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
aliaslad is Comet King (who has been recently dismissed due to insults and other rude behavior) and I see it as sour grapes.

wes posts here a lot. David Marshall is LSHJSA, member #159, who has yet to post. I think we spend a lot of time and energy discussing the issues themselves when they merit it or there is one. smile But I take it that some of the responders would prefer that no one post a topic about anything until then?!? confused Discuss what you want. Skip what you don't is my motto.

Nobody's putting a gun to anybody's head. (Shut up Pov! tongue )

#370317 12/15/04 01:21 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
This place, particularly the Legion forum, is one of the most open and inviting anyone will ever find on the web. ‘Nuff said.

That's just Comet King being Comet King. Thankfully, he's not doing it here anymore smile

#370318 12/15/04 01:37 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Bah! Legion World is Indie Rock!

#370319 12/15/04 01:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I am a clique of one!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#370320 12/15/04 01:45 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I am the clique consisting of all cliques that do not contain themselves as members.

(a li'l set theory in-joke there).

#370321 12/15/04 02:01 PM
Active
Active
In my online life, I've participated in many different fan-forum message boards. I've posted on boards for bands, tv shows, movies, and comics. LegionWorld is the only board I check daily and have done so for more than a year now. I don't remember the last time I checked any of the myriad other boards I'm a member of. I consistently find that the level of debate, the maturity of the members, and the genuine love of the subject is higher here than any other board I've ever been on. Personal attacks generally don't happen and flame wars are (usually) extinguished before they can get going. This is such a welcoming atmosphere that we've welcomed several of the Legion's creators to this board for vigorous discussions about the series. There may be a lot of off-topic discussions, but more often, the silly posts are derived directly from our affection for the Legion (I'll admit I don't usually read those, but I recognize the spirit that spurs people to create them). As far as I can tell the only posters that have been asked to leave are those that can't treat everyone else here with respect, and in my experience that's only happened twice! That's gotta be some kind of record.

I usually don't connect strongly on a personal level with people that I "meet" online, but there are a lot of people on this board that I feel like I know. That has surprised, impressed, and pleased me in the last year or so.

Anyone who doesn't feel welcome here, probably isn't welcome here, not because we're cliquish, but because they didn't have the maturity to interact in an adult way with the other members of this board.

Wow, I just wrote a lot! I guess I feel more strongly about this than I'd realized!

#370322 12/15/04 02:07 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Personally I don't know of anyway to make a message board be less cliquish than Legion World.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#370323 12/15/04 02:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think Comet King is hilarious! He's rude and offensive in most of his posts to us here, gets banned for it and then starts dissing us to anyone who'll listen!

He's like our arch-nemesis! A LSV of one! I wonder what nefarious scheme he'll be up to next? lol

#370324 12/15/04 02:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Maybe we do talk too much about bell-bottoms. As an effort for outreach, we need some threads about straight-leg pants and leggings.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#370325 12/15/04 03:11 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'm confused... I thought CK said he liked PG's bell-bottoms?

#370326 12/15/04 03:12 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Maybe we do talk too much about bell-bottoms. As an effort for outreach, we need some threads about straight-leg pants and leggings.
Oh my god, that's the funniest post I've read in forever!

#370327 12/15/04 03:30 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
It must've taken CK a long time to compose that post. He nearly sounded lucid.

Clickety click. Whatever.

#370328 12/15/04 03:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ok nothing much to add here but a few questions and random comments.

First up, how many active members does legion list have, I know I stopped even getting the digests because I found the comments a bit, well staid I guess. Opposed to that how many active members does LW have? I’m guessing LW has more. If that’s the case how can a smaller, much more inward looking group who are not reaching out to new members every day (and just look at the number of welcome threads to get an idea of how many people join up here) be less of a clique than a large open friendly group?

How many creators join and participate at Legion List? If we are so inward looking and against strangers how come they get in?

This place is to me the Legion Outpost of the 21st century. It is an important place for legion fans to hang out, we are starting to get the interaction with creators and DC staff that Flynn and Broertjes, got with Outpost. It is quite possible to argue that the web based and visible love of a group of fans convinced DC to keep the Legion going when sales did not justify it and to give us a new version to sink our teeth into.

I don’t know Aliaslad but if he found the place too much of a clique for him then that’s his reaction to us, not ours to him (or her)

Faithfull
#370329 12/15/04 03:41 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Like Groucho, I refuse to belong to any clique that would have me as a member.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#370330 12/15/04 03:55 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Sometimes I like to turn the lights down and pull on a pair of thigh-high, neon pink legwarmers.

With my blonde wig and a good squint, I kinda look like Imra's chubby sister... with a goatee...

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#370331 12/15/04 04:00 PM
Deputy
Deputy
What happened? Oh don't bother, I missed it again.

Look... I'm about as polar opposite as can be to many posters around here... I don't get a feeling of clique-ishness at this place. If that's how CK feels, then this is a problem of his own making.

Does Legion World take away from other sites' "Legionocity"? Probably so, but I wouldn't want to see an internet without Legion World just so that other sites can feel better about their own Legionocity.

As for not discussing the book... that's just laughable. Sour Grapes indeed.

Something Filthy!
#370332 12/15/04 04:10 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I am the clique consisting of all cliques that do not contain themselves as members.

(a li'l set theory in-joke there).
If this were a message board for logicians, you'd all realize how funny this is!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Gorilla Nebula
Gorilla Nebula
san francisco
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star