Roll Call
0 members (), 62 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/29/24 12:25 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
General question about a DSL connection
#370515 12/06/03 04:24 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
To all the people who know a thing or two about computers (which I don't):

I have a DSL connection, which works great. However, once in awhile, the internet goes down, although I'm unsure what happened. At first, I used to just run the start up CD again to get it to work right. Now, I've found out that if I just turn off the modem (and router) for ten seconds or so and restart the computer, it'll come back up fine. Does this just mean that when the internet goes down, something has happened with the phone lines or cables that it's connected to, like the wind or snow knocked it out for a second? Cuz it comes back up fine, and I'm just curious, because if it's as simple as that, there's no need for a frustrated Cobalt Kid to call up the DSL people at the wee hours of the morning. It's not really a problem, but it happens every once in awhile.

Anyone? Greybird? Gary?

Thanks, these computers are too complicated for my fragile grad school mind...

Re: General question about a DSL connection
#370516 12/06/03 04:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Cobie,

DSL or Direct Satellite Link, is succeptible to electro-magnetic disruption in the upper atmosphere. Thunderstorms and other weather conditions can and do disrupt the signal. If your satelite modem is set up properly you shouldn't have to do anything to regain your connection.

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#370517 12/06/03 04:45 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Abin Quank:
Cobie,

DSL or Direct Satellite Link,...
Ab, I doubt he's referring to satellite links smile [tho its possible]

The more common usage of DSL refers to [Asymmetric] Digital Subscriber Line ([A]DSL), which runs broadband over copper cables smile

OTOH, I don't know enough about either DSL to definitively actually answer the Q, but I'd presume its just a minor snafu with the equipment or software (given Windows, probably the latter...). I've got a cable modem (broadband over optical fibres), and have had similar problems on occasion. I tend just to disconnect the modem for a minute or so, then it tends to work okay.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#370518 12/06/03 08:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Another problem for both cable and DSL is in area in which you live. The farther you are away from the main switch and the more users in your neighborhood or apartment complex the more often you lose or have a degraded connection.

I've been fortunate so far with my cable connection. No downtime I can think of and the only connection problem has been with the wireless connection to my laptop. I'm sure as the neighborhood we built in builds out more and more people take advantage of the cable modems I'll begin suffering similar problems.

#370519 12/06/03 08:32 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
A related question -- I'm planning to switch from dial-up to DSL or cable sometime in the near future.

Which one is generally preferable in terms of quality and value? Or does it vary from provider to provider?

Thanks!

#370520 12/06/03 10:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Stu, it does vary per provider and area. I would check with both first to find out if they are available in your area. Then find out how far from the main switch you are and ask, if they will tell you, how many users are already in your neighborhood.

If price is a bigger factor for you, don't fall for their sign up bonus. Find out who is cheaper after equipment rental (or purchase) and then the monthly fee after the promo is over.

You want to go, if possible, with who ever has the higher speed and least number of users in your area. This will keep your connection speed faster and cause less downtime.

I prefer cable because its easier to set up and configure. But if all of your neighbors for a mile around are on it then it wouldn't be worth it.

#370521 12/07/03 01:48 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Apart from the other comments, it occurred to me that your DSL provider may be losing its hold at some moments on accessing the Domain Name System (DNS), the Internet's address book. That happens for many reasons, but a DSL connection ought to have enough capacity to minimize it.

That may be why turning off and restarting the "modem" (it really isn't one) gets you going again. It not only gets a new connection going to the DNS, it also provides your fixed address to the DNS once again.

You DO have a piece of firewall software running, don't you, to minimize net.marauders' damage from finding that fixed address? If not, you can get a slew of recommendations around here, including free software. Your DSL provider very likely has sent some along already, as well.

#370522 12/10/03 10:00 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Stu, it does vary per provider and area. I would check with both first to find out if they are available in your area. ...
Thanks, Scott! I'll ask around once I get to my new pad, and then figure out what'll work best for me there.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,988
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
Yonkers N.Y
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star