Roll Call
0 members (), 45 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/28/24 09:57 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Legion Wiki!
#371096 06/16/06 06:28 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
With the cooperation of some members here at Legion World we will be introducing, this weekend, the first of its kind, the Legion Wiki!

Intended to be the authority on all things Legion, the Legion Wiki will house all information on all versions of the Legion, including the upcoming (and previous) animated version. The Wiki will be open to all Legion fans for use but those who wish to contribute to its collection of information will need to register and agree to follow the format established.

So if you don't know your Lightning Lad from your Live Wire the Legion Wiki will be just the thing you need to get you up to speed on the Legion of Super-Heroes. A link for the Wiki will be included on the main menu at The Legion Clubhouse and here at Legion World sometime this weekend so check back later.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Legion Wiki!
#371097 06/17/06 02:47 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Will you be picking up items from Wikipedia about the various characters? Many of them are quite well outlined already -- I know from having updated Dawnstar\'s entry -- and would serve well as, at least, an introduction or starting point for LegionWiki entries. It doesn't all need reinventing, perhaps.

Using Wikipedia material would entail accepting the GNU Free Documentation License, which might make matters easier all around. And less hairy in regard to DC Comics, which seems to be treating Wikipedia benignly thus far.

One advantage here is that you'd be able to set it up for more easily including illustrations. Wikipedia is fairly strict and somewhat byzantine in its illustration "rules," possibly in thinking that it thus conforms better to the GNU license.

Some self-styled vigilantes are taking to removing illos that may not have had the supposedly needed releases. One such "bot" recently removed a Bruce Patterson commissioned work illustrating the Dawnstar entry.

#371098 06/17/06 03:32 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I've been entering text '''I'VE''' written for WP (I checked, I don't need to invoke the GDFL for that), in addition to newly-written text and expansions to help get started (not a secret, my username's all over the history lists, along with the dates of entry), but (speaking for myself) I'd rather not regurgitate the whole of the Wikipedia Legion-and-related stuff. Partially because having the GDFL-necessary links to WP over every page dooms it to be seen as a pale copy of WP, partially because of the number of extant WP-mirrors, partially because of the absurd new writing-about-fiction guideline which, if fully-implemented, would make the text unsuitable, and partially because of all the links that would need fixing....

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#371099 06/19/06 06:09 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Entries that have been contributed by you can be 'brought over' to the Legion Wiki, as Reboot has stated. But, along the lines of his post above, I don't want the Legion version to be seen as a culling of WP. I want it to stand out on its own for what it is, a Legion specific wiki. A localized place on the WWW for Legion information.

Sorry that I haven't posted the link yet. Wound up being called into work this weekend and didn't get the time I wanted to work on a guide for posting entries. As soon as I have that hammered out I'll post the link.

#371100 06/21/06 08:22 AM
Applicant
Applicant
This is awesome! I can't wait to see it. Excellent work guys, kudos to everyone involved!

#371101 06/25/06 11:52 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Once again work has ruined any free time I expected to have. So instead of delaying this any further here are a couple of ground rules.

1. You must sign up before being allowed to edit, no exceptions.

2. All character entries must follow the established layout ( example ) and use the template .

3. Issue synopses must follow the established template .

There will be more but that's the basics for now.

I now give you the Legion Wiki !

#371102 06/27/06 07:54 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
The wiki has an issue of strategic planning arising already, unfortunately -- but inevitably.

You may need to consider whether the division of "eras" on this wiki requires the duplication of character profile entries, especially for "pre-Crisis" vs. "post-Crisis" vs. "Glorithverse."

Nearly every character before the first Major Reboot (1994), except for the Kryptonians and Cosmic Boy, who first appeared before "LSH" v4 had continuity of character traits and histories. Multiple profiles, as I see it, add confusion rather than information.

Reboot (the LW member) and I disagree about this, in regard to the entry that I began for Dawnstar. I see only one being needed, he sees three, and we've been reverting back and forth. You'll need to set some guidelines or procedures for this, Scott, since such matters will arise frequently.

Some of this relates to, or is provoked by, whether the color code for "era" in the Member template and data box should be taken up for when the character first appeared or not. None of the colors provided refers to multiple "eras" or periods.

I added discussion based on this latter issue on this page . I believe, Scott, that you'll need to make a ruling or template modification about this, as well.

#371103 06/27/06 08:04 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I see, belatedly, from this page , that Reboot has been made a sysop for the wiki. I didn't mean to step on anyone's prerogatives, as you have given them out.

It would have helped, though, Scott, for us to know that you had appointed a system operator to assist you on this. Are we to assume that Reboot sets strategy, as well? Or that he speaks for you?

Are we to give precedence to his edits (or, here, reversions), even though we could still change them, except for "protected" wiki pages?

#371104 06/27/06 08:30 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I've posted a note asking for LL to reply to you there. I was going to reply myself, but then I forsaw exactly this reaction, soo.... (I'm not reverting any more in the meantime - and I only reverted once to start with, not "back and forth"). If he disagrees with me, I'm fine with that, since I'm a post-ZH guy, as you know.

All I'll say for the moment is that I'm not the one who suggested splitting Pre-Crisis/Post-Crisis to start with, nor the one who pushed for "post-Glorith" stuff to be split off too, although I [obviously] agree with the splitting in both cases. I'm not going to be pushing my personal POV the way you suggested I have.

[BTW - sign with four tildes, ~~~~, there, wouldya.]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#371105 06/27/06 09:12 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Okay, the whole "hitting the fan" thing at work so I have to make this quick.

I prefer to keep the current era breakdown because, as I see it, any major charactization changes Post-Crisis don't apply to the Pre-Crisis character. I know a lot of characters didn't change but enough did to warrant the distinction. Do we want to have a differnet color to distinquish characters crossing eras without changes? Good question, one I'll put up for discussion here.

For now a reference to the original character entry (pre-crisis Garth when mentioning shudder Proty-Garth in a separate entry) should do.

Also, I made Reboot a sysop since he has my full backing, especially in the wiki software which he is very well versed in. I can't dedicate a ton of time right now to learn yet another way of programming so I'm relying on his experience and trust his judgement. I may appoint other sysops down the line but for now Reboot can speak for me (and I trust he'll ask me, as he does, on anything major). His edits should generally be made for style and categorization but if you have a question on his changes to an entry just ask.

I will try to get a more detailed guide for entries posted to the wiki when work releases me from its death hold.

#371106 06/27/06 01:33 PM
Applicant
Applicant
This wiki is pretty cool. Showing where my priorities are, I added a page for Kent Shakespeare already. I'll try to find time to add other info pages for the Glorithverse era characters, as it's my favorite era of the LSH.

Thanks for setting this up! I hadn't heard of it because I haven't gone to this forum in some time.

"NO, NO, NO, computer. NO CHEESE. I said, "PLEASE" ... please."
#371107 06/27/06 06:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm the one who asked for a post-Glorith distinction as (as Scott points out) there were more than a few revisions beyond the Kryptonians, etc. The retconning of Legion history began there long before the reboot. Not to mention the drastic changes in established characters. Surely, I don't need to point out Bounty II.

The status quo for almost every character took a turn or two and most of the codenames changed or were done away with. If I were a fan of strictly that era of the Legion, I doubt I'd recognise the characters who they were before, let alone after.

#371108 06/27/06 06:49 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And, as Steve (Autochef), has pointed out, he's a Glorithverse fan. I'm interested in seeing how his entries look.

#371109 06/27/06 07:14 PM
Applicant
Applicant
In all my years, I never thought of it as "Glorithverse," but it makes sense. I refer to issue 5 as Mordruverse, after all.

There's a lot of stuff I'm a little fuzzy on now of that era (I haven't reread any of it for a couple of years), so I'm going to need to brush up before I write up too much. I know my Kent Shakespeare, though.

"NO, NO, NO, computer. NO CHEESE. I said, "PLEASE" ... please."
#371110 06/28/06 02:00 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook

#371111 06/28/06 03:59 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Not an expert on the character but it looks very well detailed and complete to me. But it does bring up one question I don't recall coming up (if it did, just slap me). There is no ending. In other words, she "ceased to be" or was last seen in the previous version.

Were we including that on these bios or leaving them open ended?

#371112 06/28/06 04:18 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I'm leaving them all open-ended.

#371113 06/28/06 04:25 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Works for me.

#371114 07/16/06 01:58 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Reboot, I couldn't have written Kinetix's bio better myself, and she's my favorite. Great work!

#371115 07/26/06 03:19 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
FYI, site's hard down right now (not even aa delay in bringing up the error).

#371116 07/27/06 06:01 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Came back up an hour or so back...

#371117 07/27/06 06:07 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Sorry about that. My provider closed out the wrong site. Hopefully this resolves it and we didn't lose anything. I'm doing another quick back-up now just in case.

#371118 10/21/06 12:04 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I have to thank everyone, with a large portion of it going to Reboot, in keeping the wiki going. With all that has happened lately I haven't even logged into the site to check things out. But I know it is in good hands. Now I just need to get a backup done ASAP. Just in case, knowing my luck.

#371119 10/21/06 12:30 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Thanks LL, although Craigopher gets a big shout-out, since he's done a lot of stuff, especially in the early period, and Michael Grabois, iB, PoFo and Autochef have contibuted chunks too.

#371120 10/23/06 01:29 AM
Honorary
Honorary
I'm a pretty big post-ZH era fan, and a Kinetix fan as well, and that seems accurate to me. It's been a little bit since I've read the post-Emerald Violet issues of Legionnaires, however (the ones involving Lady Mysa and Mordru while the rest of the team was in the 20th century) so I may be a bit fuzzy on the details...but it -seems- like you've done a very good job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,972
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
beardguy57
beardguy57
Philadelphia, Pa
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star