Roll Call
0 members (), 45 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Poll Questions
#371296 07/10/03 01:13 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
When I posted my Poll I didn't set an end date. So when I decide to end it is there any formal closure, or do I just declare it's over on whatever date & time?

(unrelated q: are there any problems caused to you guys when I forget to log out before going offline?)

ChameleonBoy

Re: Poll Questions
#371297 07/10/03 01:38 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Reep:
When I posted my Poll I didn't set an end date. So when I decide to end it is there any formal closure, or do I just declare it's over on whatever date & time?

(unrelated q: are there any problems caused to you guys when I forget to log out before going offline?)

ChameleonBoy
I'd suggest leaving it open as long as votes are coming in regularly, then announcing a closing time, to give people a chance to cast last minute votes.

#371298 07/10/03 05:51 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Yeah, that's understood, and I intend to keep it open at least thru the weekend.

But to clarify my question: is there an actual procedural option open to the Poll creator during the poll to close it down by, like filling in a close date, or clicking a box, etc?

Or is there a lockdown by the founders/mods after I announce a closing date/time?

ChameleonBoy

#371299 07/10/03 06:52 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
BTW, here's my thoughts on Poll closures in general. I've already done two, and have a third one in the works. I've been thinking about "Poll issues."

The only people who can vote in the Poll are members. So this is the primamry determinant of Poll duration, i.e.: have the likely amount of members who would vote in a given Poll voted?

Now we are at the first week of this Board and we have 60+ members. Taking a pallpark guess, I'd say a fifth or sixth are maybe Alt IDs, and we can hope these aren't used in voting, but the point is you have to subtract that amount from the current member count to see your max possible electorate.

In this current period, let's say that's 50 members. Now in my Poll on nutty characters, I would guess no more than half or two-thirds of members at best would be interested in this less than mainstream topic.

So that's 30 to 37 members. Currenty my poll sits at 16 voters, which is close to half that range of possible voters.

This is Thursday, and my Poll has been running two or three days now. (God, how quick we forget!) The workweek generally seems a lower posting volume than the weekend, yet I'm halfway there with three days of higher volume likely to come.

Which means that reaching the high end of my likely electorate is going to occur by Monday at the latest, which logically suggests shutting it down on Tues or Wed.

This analysis seems a handy basic model. However, the current kicker is that this site first started during last weekend, and it seems there's still a fair amount of Legion posters that haven't got the word, but will probably, hopefully, find out this weekend. [I Suggest DCMB posters keep the news front and center on that Legion board this weekend.]

So I will let my Poll run during next week and watch the daily percentage of new votes. If it begin to trickle, I'll probably close it. O/W I'll let it run one more weekend.

All this analysis is a round about way of saying that once the membership levels off to a steady small rate of increase, I don't think Polls need to run past a week, two at the most, in order to give everybody a chance to vote. I think it's important not to go past this "time limit" because I predict Poll creation will become very popular on the Board once every discovers it ease.

At which point, the Polls are going to stack up on the first pages driving down much of the other topics. 90% of topics seem to be gone in two days.
Having a category of topic that keeps getting bumped for weeks or is often flagged by the mods to be at the top can create havoc.

Rather than create software limits on Poll duration or the amount created by a member, I think as long as it becomes to be understood by the membership that one week is all that most Polls will need to give everyboy a chance to vote, then most of the potential problems will be minimized.

Basically, long Polls are not necessary. After one weekend's availability of voting, if it trickles to one or two votes daily, shut it down, cause that indicates voting has sated and a consensus of opinion probably has been captured.

Lest I forget, after two polls, one a single question, and the other multiples, let me wholeheartedly express that I think the Polls are a fantastic fun capability for members and can be very useful in creating interest in Legion as well as enticing lurkers into membership in order to enjoy the voting experience!

But we need to be proactive with a group sensibility about the necessity of shorter duration Polls.

Just my 20 cents.

ChameleonBoy

#371300 07/10/03 07:46 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
At which point, the Polls are going to stack up on the first pages driving down much of the other topics. 90% of topics seem to be gone in two days.
Having a category of topic that keeps getting bumped for weeks or is often flagged by the mods to be at the top can create havoc.
Why not create a polling forum then?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#371301 07/10/03 07:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
[b]At which point, the Polls are going to stack up on the first pages driving down much of the other topics. 90% of topics seem to be gone in two days.
Why not create a polling forum then? [/b]
Since your bringing it up here SoM and Princess Cru brought it up in the Suggestions thread early this morning, I'm in the process of creating such spot right now and moving all current polls over to it. Just hang tight for awhile. I'm not as fast at doing this as Nightcrawler is.

#371302 07/10/03 07:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
BTW, here's my thoughts on Poll closures in general. I've already done two, and have a third one in the works. I've been thinking about "Poll issues."

The only people who can vote in the Poll are members. So this is the primamry determinant of Poll duration, i.e.: have the likely amount of members who would vote in a given Poll voted?

Now we are at the first week of this Board and we have 60+ members. Taking a pallpark guess, I'd say a fifth or sixth are maybe Alt IDs, and we can hope these aren't used in voting, but the point is you have to subtract that amount from the current member count to see your max possible electorate.

In this current period, let's say that's 50 members. Now in my Poll on nutty characters, I would guess no more than half or two-thirds of members at best would be interested in this less than mainstream topic.

So that's 30 to 37 members. Currenty my poll sits at 16 voters, which is close to half that range of possible voters.

This is Thursday, and my Poll has been running two or three days now. (God, how quick we forget!) The workweek generally seems a lower posting volume than the weekend, yet I'm halfway there with three days of higher volume likely to come.

Which means that reaching the high end of my likely electorate is going to occur by Monday at the latest, which logically suggests shutting it down on Tues or Wed.

This analysis seems a handy basic model. However, the current kicker is that this site first started during last weekend, and it seems there's still a fair amount of Legion posters that haven't got the word, but will probably, hopefully, find out this weekend. [I Suggest DCMB posters keep the news front and center on that Legion board this weekend.]

So I will let my Poll run during next week and watch the daily percentage of new votes. If it begin to trickle, I'll probably close it. O/W I'll let it run one more weekend.

All this analysis is a round about way of saying that once the membership levels off to a steady small rate of increase, I don't think Polls need to run past a week, two at the most, in order to give everybody a chance to vote. I think it's important not to go past this "time limit" because I predict Poll creation will become very popular on the Board once every discovers it ease.

Rather than create software limits on Poll duration or the amount created by a member, I think as long as it becomes to be understood by the membership that one week is all that most Polls will need to give everyboy a chance to vote, then most of the potential problems will be minimized.

Basically, long Polls are not necessary. After one weekend's availability of voting, if it trickles to one or two votes daily, shut it down, cause that indicates voting has sated and a consensus of opinion probably has been captured.

Lest I forget, after two polls, one a single question, and the other multiples, let me wholeheartedly express that I think the Polls are a fantastic fun capability for members and can be very useful in creating interest in Legion as well as enticing lurkers into membership in order to enjoy the voting experience!

But we need to be proactive with a group sensibility about the necessity of shorter duration Polls.

Just my 20 cents.

ChameleonBoy
Reep, sounds more like $1.20 to me. smile

Anyway, all well thought out and more than I can take in and comment on in the manner it deserves right now. But, like I've already said above, I'm in the process of creating a special forum just for polling. I hope this will help ease the issue a bit for all involved.

#371303 07/10/03 08:09 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
LL, if there's a Poll forum, then I can't see my concerns really becoming problems.

Still just for organization purposes, it may be a good idea to put a 3 week limit on Polls, as I doubt longer is necessary and after that the Poll Creator may very well forget about them.

With a Poll forum, will there be much of a need to flag any as "important," unless there's a real time-sensitive issue that's being polled?

Another 8 cents.

ChameleonBoy

#371304 07/10/03 08:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
LL, if there's a Poll forum, then I can't see my concerns really becoming problems.

Still just for organization purposes, it may be a good idea to put a 3 week limit on Polls, as I doubt longer is necessary and after that the Poll Creator may very well forget about them.

With a Poll forum, will there be much of a need to flag any as "important," unless there's a real time-sensitive issue that's being polled?

Another 8 cents.

ChameleonBoy
I don't have an issue on the 3 week limit. And I think maybe we can come up with some 'poll etiquette' to post to the new forum that can be used as guidelines when creating polls. Things like a time limit and headlining.

#371305 07/10/03 08:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
For those tracking this topic here, the polls have been moved from the individual forums and placed into one new forum here . This will now be the place to poll your hearts out. In conjunction I have turned off the polling function in all areas except for The Planetary Chance Machine. The only exceptions I have made to this is allowing Steve and Dave to have polls in their respective sections. Please let me know if anyone has any questions about this change. Thanks for bearing with us.

#371306 07/11/03 04:03 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
But to clarify my question: is there an actual procedural option open to the Poll creator during the poll to close it down by, like filling in a close date, or clicking a box, etc?

Or is there a lockdown by the founders/mods after I announce a closing date/time?
I didn't want my main question about Poll closure procedure to be lost after my long spiel, so whenever either of you can advise is cool.

ChameleonBoy

#371307 07/11/03 08:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
As the poll's creator, I think I'll leave that decision to you. When you feel it's right to end it go ahead. I'd probably post a warning a day in advance to let anyone who hasn't voted vote, but that's me. It's your poll and you get to decide how it operates.

Nope. I don't log out when I leave either. It saves me the trouble of logging on again. Regardless the software indicates you were here up to 30 minutes after you leave.

#371308 07/12/03 01:56 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
NC, I understand that as poll creator it's up to me to declare it over. I'm quite clear on this.

My actual question is this: do I actually do anything to the Poll to shut it down so no one can vote anymore, or do you guys do that? Or is this even done?

Likewise am I correct in assuming that if the Poll is truly shutdown, however accomplished, the Poll results are then accessible to all viewers, whether voting or non-voting members, or even non-members? Or will I instead need to summarize the results in a post for everyone to read?

I'm just trying to get the details on any mechanics involved in closing a Poll and revealing the final results.

I hope I have made myself clear because I think my "essay" above may have obscured the simple points of my original questions!

ChameleonBoy

#371309 07/12/03 03:34 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
In looking through the control panel I can see no way to close a poll that does not have a closure date set at its creation. So, in partial answer to your question, no one can close the poll short of closing the actually topic.

If you set a closing time upon creation of the poll, the final results will always be available for anyone to view after the closing date. So in that case you would not need to summarize the results. But without a closing date posters can continue to vote on it until the topic itself is closed.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

#371310 07/12/03 02:46 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Yes. Thanx, LL.

So the final point, and anyone thinking of doing a Poll should pay note, is this: set a close date. O/W the only way everyone can see the results when you say it's over is if you type them up which can be a legnthy process depending on the Poll.

Thanks again, LL. I'm about to post a major Poll, and I will set a close date.

ChameleonBoy

#371311 07/12/03 06:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sorry. I didn't help. Polls are new to me. I've never had access to them before and haven't taken the time to play around with them to see how they work.

#371312 07/13/03 02:14 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Well, I now have played with them, and here's some free advice about Polls: don't bend over to pick up the soap.

This conclusion is based on solid empirical evidence and also English common Law.

ChameleonBoy

#371313 07/15/03 01:32 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Guys, I'd to make a request. I will probably close my first Poll (I think it was my first?!) on Screwiest characters later this week or first of next week.

I read where there's a limit of 3 Important Topic Flags per forum, so I was wondering if you could take the flag off Screwiest Topics and stick it on Legion World Census, which is it a bit more deserving I think.

Seeing that the How Many Posts topics has closed and there's an unused flag, I like to make a pitch to use it on the Poll I will be posting tomorrow. I'm going to keep it's content secret till then, but I sincerely believe it will be the funnest Poll yet.

But if you're saving that flag as sort of a "Founder's Flag" for what ever Poll you guys need to run, or simply don't concur with my assessment of tomorrow's Poll, I of course understand.

ChameleonBoy

#371314 07/15/03 06:25 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Saw the switch! Thanx guys!

ChameleonBoy

#371315 07/22/03 01:33 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Guys, Legion World Census # 1 has closed and I have added a Final Tally/analysis, as well aa copying that into a Discussion Topic in MMB.

You can remove the LWC flag. If possible I'd like it to go on "The Wish List." It only has three days left but the visibility boost can't hurt.

Thanx

ChameleonBoy

#371316 07/22/03 02:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Done. ChameleonBoy

#371317 07/22/03 07:21 AM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
"Quick, Robin -- to the Bat-Poll!"

#371318 07/24/03 12:25 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Favorite Supporting Heroes Poll is closed.

It may be deflagged, and sent on it's way out to sea, to be received into watery bosom of Lord Neptune.

Whoa...

Lord Neptune's got man-boobs.

ChameleonBoy

#371319 07/24/03 12:28 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
And apparently, they're lactating too.

More power to ya, old dude!

ChameleonBoy

#371320 07/28/03 12:24 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
The "What Preboot Legion Events or Plots do you want to see rebooted?" Poll has closed and can be deflagged.

For a replacement, I'd like to suggest my just created Poll, "Seven MUST Survive!!!"

Hopefully this will be as fun as Drake's "Five MUST Die!!" Poll.

ChameleonBoy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Nekogami
Nekogami
Canada, Earth
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star