Roll Call
4 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Sarcasm Kid, Alexander, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand), 32 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Poll Questions
#371346 11/15/03 05:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Go for it Reep. I don't think it'll be a problem and I'd be interested in seeing it.

#371347 11/15/03 06:03 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks, LL. I'll post it sometime today. Perhaps soon.

I don't have other Polls in mind now, but I still should ask if I have ongoing authorization for future simultaneous Polls, or should I check in with you or NC first? I want to be on solid ground when somebody asks, "How come that goddam dickwad Reep gets to do two fuckin' Polls and I only get to do a measly stinkin one?!?!"

I'm part Naltorian, so trust me, that's a verbatim quote.

ChameleonBoy

#371348 11/15/03 10:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wasn't the amount of polls running simultaneously part of the technical problems Legion World was experiencing a while back?

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#371349 11/16/03 11:22 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Hey, LL or NC, can I get a final ruling on me doing future simultaneous Polls? If you want to set a limit on the amount of sim-Polling for me, that's cool. Hopefully at least three sim-Polls. laugh

Thanks, ChameleonBoy

#371350 11/17/03 05:55 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Reep, I'm sorta on a mini-vacation from the board. I'll be back Tuesday.

#371351 11/17/03 06:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And I'm actually trying to get Caroline's parents settled in and take care of her since she's wrenched her back so I'm not going to be around much at all this week.

So here's my decision, which Gary is more than welcome to change when he gets back.

No more than 2 sim-polls for now. Since we have been experiencing some troubles with the PowWeb server I'd hate to compound them with something we knew caused trouble on the old server.

Sorry Reep. Hope you can live with 2 at a time.

#371352 11/17/03 11:31 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks for responding guys. Well, I had of course hoped for more since I already have several fave story Polls ready to go and was going to ask permission to run the Superboy/Legion and Volume 2 Polls if you hadn't responded by this AM.

Unfortunately, I'm blocked out with the LWC for another week. If you find a way to up my limit I'd appreciate it.

ChameleonBoy

#371353 11/17/03 04:15 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
What I know I haven't seen yet, not argued or even asserted, is any reason why one person should be exempt from the rules that apply to the rest of us. Mere fervor for creating polls is not enough.

It may have been missed that, yes, the number of polls running from all users was one of the major reasons why this message board software became unstable. (Along with the database demand from the "recent visitors" feature and its cache.) That was why Gary set up the one-poll-at-a-time personal limit.

#371354 11/17/03 05:44 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Because my Polls are popular. Several people have stated how much they enjoy them, not only now, but repeatedly over three years.

I believe so far that within just three or four days, four people have asked or suggested Polls for me to do, including Lightning Lad. Even though they themselves have the capability to do Polls, they asked or suggested that I do them. They didn't ask other people to do them. They didn't ask you. They asked me.

By my estimate I've done at least 60 Polls, maybe 100, and many of them have been major efforts like the Legion World Census (of which the current is the third one.) I have run many Most Popular Legionnaires, Villains, Supporting Characters, Writers, Artist, etc. I received appreciation, often strong, on nearly every one.

I doubt that LL increased my limit because of my "ferver." (Hey, LL, did you increase my limit because of "ferver?") I assume it's because of my unmatched experience, proven ability, and enthusiastic popular demand.

You given me a great idea, Grey. Why don't I run a Poll about whether or not I should be limited to one or two Polls at a time? Since you feel my whopping two Poll limit is unjustified, I'm sure you'd like to see a membership vote on the matter.

I absolutely swear to abide by the decision of the majority of the voting membership.

Like I said, since I've already been given permission for two simultaneous Polls, there would be nothing provocative about it. A simple up or down vote whether I should continue to have the privilege,

I think I'll start a discussion topic over at PCM and find out how other people feel about me doing this Poll!

Great idea, Grey!

ChameleonBoy

#371355 11/17/03 07:03 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I don't care whether someone runs one poll or sixty at once. It's not my call, anyway. All that matters here are these points:

~ As few as eight to ten simultaneous polls have already been enough to seriously endanger the stability of this software.

~ If one person runs five or six polls, most others are thus effectively excluded from doing so at all.

~ If a limit is imposed on each member, to avoid such breakdowns, that means all members, if it is to be fair -- with only demonstrated cause for making exceptions. Not simply because one "wants to."

~ Neither of the founders appear to be in the "market" for a full-time poll-taker -- and it's Scott's and Gary's clubhouse.

~ It's no one's place to say one will "abide by the vote of the membership" when the matter has not even been put forward by the founders for such a vote.

#371356 11/26/03 10:09 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I guess I probably should have placed my request here rather than on my Poll.

My Volume 2 & Volume 3 Fave Stories Poll went thru when created without a closetime. I'm certain I checked all the boxes and filled in the clock info for the closetime, but it didn't take. So LL & NC, I would appreciate it if you could add a closetime of Nov 29, 6:00 PM to it. I'm giving it a few extra days because of the holiday.

Thanks,

ChameleonBoy

BTW, am I correct in assuming only Founders and not Mods can alter closetimes?

#371357 11/26/03 07:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Reep:
BTW, am I correct in assuming only Founders and not Mods can alter closetimes?
Yes. I have to change the code of the file itself. It's not apart of the program.

#371358 11/26/03 08:00 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks, NC.

Okay I'll address future clock adjustments to you and LL. I'm going to post a new Poll tonight and I'm gonna double-secret-probation-check that I check the boxes and do the timeset, so if the closetime doesn't happen it may indicate that it's not just Reep ineptness.

ChameleonBoy

#371359 12/01/03 12:50 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I guess since the Election Poll was set with the same close date & time as my Run-Off Stories Poll, it's probably best that I request to move my Poll off that day and have it changed to Dec 9th, 1200 PM PST.

Thanks guys.

ChameleonBoy

#371360 12/01/03 01:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I guess since the Election Poll was set with the same close date & time as my Run-Off Stories Poll, it's probably best that I request to move my Poll off that day and have it changed to Dec 9th, 1200 PM PST.
Is it really that big a deal that two polls conclude on the same day?

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#371361 12/01/03 01:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Crujectra:
[b] I guess since the Election Poll was set with the same close date & time as my Run-Off Stories Poll, it's probably best that I request to move my Poll off that day and have it changed to Dec 9th, 1200 PM PST.
Is it really that big a deal that two polls conclude on the same day? [/b]
And the only reason it has the same time is that the quickest way for me to set the close date and time this morning was to grab the time stamp off of yours Reep. I can reset the time on the election poll later when I get home.

#371362 12/01/03 09:01 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Originally posted by Crujectra:
[b] I guess since the Election Poll was set with the same close date & time as my Run-Off Stories Poll, it's probably best that I request to move my Poll off that day and have it changed to Dec 9th, 1200 PM PST.
Is it really that big a deal that two polls conclude on the same day? [/b]
Of what possible consequence is my request about my Poll to you, Cru?

They're not just concluding on the same day. They're closing at the same exact moment. Even though mine was set first, I didn't ask that the closetime of the Election Poll be changed. I simply asked that my Poll's time be changed.

I have been working on the many Story Polls of this project steadily for two weeks, and since the Election Poll will unquestionably be the topic of the day when it concludes, I think it's only fair for me to request a different day in order to have a few tiny moments of the members' time for the results of my little project of which I put into a lot of fuckin time and work.

But I guess if someone considers my project to be entirely inconsequential, then one wouldn't see the fuckin obvious situation I mentioned above because one wouldn't give a shit about what happens to my project. Your indifference speaks volumes. In other words, whatever happens to my project is no "big deal." If it gets buried during the Election results, too bad. Who cares, right, Cru?

It's no big deal. Just another one of Reep's damn Polls.

How rude of me to consider it otherwise.

#371363 12/01/03 09:36 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
It sounded to me like Cru was asking if it there would be technical difficulties with polls ending at the same time. Not sure why the profanity was necessary.

#371364 12/01/03 09:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
It sounded to me like Cru was asking if it there would be technical difficulties with polls ending at the same time. Not sure why the profanity was necessary.
Me neither. And it is definitely NOT appreciated!

Scott explained why the times are the same.

I guess I should explain to you all that the time is coded with no discernable logic to me or to Scott. That means in order to add or change a poll time, a new poll has to be created (or in this case, borrowed) from.

So there you go. I'd appreciate a little more compassion and understanding between board members, thank you very much!

#371365 12/01/03 10:32 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Sorry. I apologize for language, but Cru was not expressing any concern about technical difficulties. Please.

I requested my Poll closetime be changed and he asked if it's "really that big a deal" that two Polls conclude on the same day. LL hadn't even posted yet and there was no mention at all of any possible technical difficulties.

"Really that big a deal" is provocative phrasing considering all I did was request a different time for my Poll, not his.

Either way, of what concern to Cru is my requesting that I move my Poll closetime, so much so that he feels compelled to use "really that big a deal" about my simple request.

I apologize for my language, but not for responding to intentionally provocative language.

#371366 12/02/03 05:08 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Reep, I wasn't trying to irritate you... I guess I just didn't see my wording as being provocative. I really was just wondering why you didn't want our polls to conclude at the same time (and honestly, I thought it was just the same day... I missed the point that it was the exact same time).

In any case, I don't think it was necessary to go all explosive on me and make assumptions as to my motives. I'm not saying that I can't be a bitch sometimes, but I really wasn't trying to be one in this particular instance.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#371367 12/05/03 10:32 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
We'll let it go as a misunderstanding, Cru.

Gary and Scott, it appears my Run-Off Poll has stalled at 13 votes. So, could either of you knock off a couple of days of the closetime and change it to December 7, 1200 PM PST (Sunday.) The member interest isn't there, I'd like to get another Personality Poll going on Sunday rather than Tues. I plan to start the Best & Worst Of The Year Poll tomorrow after the first Personality Poll concludes.

Thank ya!

#371368 12/05/03 01:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
If Gary doesn't beat me to it, I'll try and change the time and date for you when I get home tonight.

#371369 12/05/03 01:57 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
As ever, cool as Brek. I take back a quarter of my Proty jokes! No, half!

PolarBoy

#371370 12/05/03 07:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Gary and Scott, it appears my Run-Off Poll has stalled at 13 votes. So, could either of you knock off a couple of days of the closetime and change it to December 7, 1200 PM PST (Sunday.) The member interest isn't there, I'd like to get another Personality Poll going on Sunday rather than Tues. I plan to start the Best & Worst Of The Year Poll tomorrow after the first Personality Poll concludes.

Thank ya!
Done.

The following is for everyone and not directed at anyone in particular:

I would like to go on record as saying that I don't want to make changing poll times (or adding them for that matter) a habit. It's a pain in the butt. Let's all take the time to make poll ending times just as important and thought out as the poll itself. And remember to check BOTH boxes. Please!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,973
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star