Roll Call
0 members (), 17 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/27/24 08:18 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/27/24 08:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/27/24 08:13 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Poll Questions
#371296 07/10/03 01:13 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
When I posted my Poll I didn't set an end date. So when I decide to end it is there any formal closure, or do I just declare it's over on whatever date & time?

(unrelated q: are there any problems caused to you guys when I forget to log out before going offline?)

ChameleonBoy

Re: Poll Questions
#371297 07/10/03 01:38 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Reep:
When I posted my Poll I didn't set an end date. So when I decide to end it is there any formal closure, or do I just declare it's over on whatever date & time?

(unrelated q: are there any problems caused to you guys when I forget to log out before going offline?)

ChameleonBoy
I'd suggest leaving it open as long as votes are coming in regularly, then announcing a closing time, to give people a chance to cast last minute votes.

#371298 07/10/03 05:51 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Yeah, that's understood, and I intend to keep it open at least thru the weekend.

But to clarify my question: is there an actual procedural option open to the Poll creator during the poll to close it down by, like filling in a close date, or clicking a box, etc?

Or is there a lockdown by the founders/mods after I announce a closing date/time?

ChameleonBoy

#371299 07/10/03 06:52 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
BTW, here's my thoughts on Poll closures in general. I've already done two, and have a third one in the works. I've been thinking about "Poll issues."

The only people who can vote in the Poll are members. So this is the primamry determinant of Poll duration, i.e.: have the likely amount of members who would vote in a given Poll voted?

Now we are at the first week of this Board and we have 60+ members. Taking a pallpark guess, I'd say a fifth or sixth are maybe Alt IDs, and we can hope these aren't used in voting, but the point is you have to subtract that amount from the current member count to see your max possible electorate.

In this current period, let's say that's 50 members. Now in my Poll on nutty characters, I would guess no more than half or two-thirds of members at best would be interested in this less than mainstream topic.

So that's 30 to 37 members. Currenty my poll sits at 16 voters, which is close to half that range of possible voters.

This is Thursday, and my Poll has been running two or three days now. (God, how quick we forget!) The workweek generally seems a lower posting volume than the weekend, yet I'm halfway there with three days of higher volume likely to come.

Which means that reaching the high end of my likely electorate is going to occur by Monday at the latest, which logically suggests shutting it down on Tues or Wed.

This analysis seems a handy basic model. However, the current kicker is that this site first started during last weekend, and it seems there's still a fair amount of Legion posters that haven't got the word, but will probably, hopefully, find out this weekend. [I Suggest DCMB posters keep the news front and center on that Legion board this weekend.]

So I will let my Poll run during next week and watch the daily percentage of new votes. If it begin to trickle, I'll probably close it. O/W I'll let it run one more weekend.

All this analysis is a round about way of saying that once the membership levels off to a steady small rate of increase, I don't think Polls need to run past a week, two at the most, in order to give everybody a chance to vote. I think it's important not to go past this "time limit" because I predict Poll creation will become very popular on the Board once every discovers it ease.

At which point, the Polls are going to stack up on the first pages driving down much of the other topics. 90% of topics seem to be gone in two days.
Having a category of topic that keeps getting bumped for weeks or is often flagged by the mods to be at the top can create havoc.

Rather than create software limits on Poll duration or the amount created by a member, I think as long as it becomes to be understood by the membership that one week is all that most Polls will need to give everyboy a chance to vote, then most of the potential problems will be minimized.

Basically, long Polls are not necessary. After one weekend's availability of voting, if it trickles to one or two votes daily, shut it down, cause that indicates voting has sated and a consensus of opinion probably has been captured.

Lest I forget, after two polls, one a single question, and the other multiples, let me wholeheartedly express that I think the Polls are a fantastic fun capability for members and can be very useful in creating interest in Legion as well as enticing lurkers into membership in order to enjoy the voting experience!

But we need to be proactive with a group sensibility about the necessity of shorter duration Polls.

Just my 20 cents.

ChameleonBoy

#371300 07/10/03 07:46 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
At which point, the Polls are going to stack up on the first pages driving down much of the other topics. 90% of topics seem to be gone in two days.
Having a category of topic that keeps getting bumped for weeks or is often flagged by the mods to be at the top can create havoc.
Why not create a polling forum then?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#371301 07/10/03 07:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
[b]At which point, the Polls are going to stack up on the first pages driving down much of the other topics. 90% of topics seem to be gone in two days.
Why not create a polling forum then? [/b]
Since your bringing it up here SoM and Princess Cru brought it up in the Suggestions thread early this morning, I'm in the process of creating such spot right now and moving all current polls over to it. Just hang tight for awhile. I'm not as fast at doing this as Nightcrawler is.

#371302 07/10/03 07:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
BTW, here's my thoughts on Poll closures in general. I've already done two, and have a third one in the works. I've been thinking about "Poll issues."

The only people who can vote in the Poll are members. So this is the primamry determinant of Poll duration, i.e.: have the likely amount of members who would vote in a given Poll voted?

Now we are at the first week of this Board and we have 60+ members. Taking a pallpark guess, I'd say a fifth or sixth are maybe Alt IDs, and we can hope these aren't used in voting, but the point is you have to subtract that amount from the current member count to see your max possible electorate.

In this current period, let's say that's 50 members. Now in my Poll on nutty characters, I would guess no more than half or two-thirds of members at best would be interested in this less than mainstream topic.

So that's 30 to 37 members. Currenty my poll sits at 16 voters, which is close to half that range of possible voters.

This is Thursday, and my Poll has been running two or three days now. (God, how quick we forget!) The workweek generally seems a lower posting volume than the weekend, yet I'm halfway there with three days of higher volume likely to come.

Which means that reaching the high end of my likely electorate is going to occur by Monday at the latest, which logically suggests shutting it down on Tues or Wed.

This analysis seems a handy basic model. However, the current kicker is that this site first started during last weekend, and it seems there's still a fair amount of Legion posters that haven't got the word, but will probably, hopefully, find out this weekend. [I Suggest DCMB posters keep the news front and center on that Legion board this weekend.]

So I will let my Poll run during next week and watch the daily percentage of new votes. If it begin to trickle, I'll probably close it. O/W I'll let it run one more weekend.

All this analysis is a round about way of saying that once the membership levels off to a steady small rate of increase, I don't think Polls need to run past a week, two at the most, in order to give everybody a chance to vote. I think it's important not to go past this "time limit" because I predict Poll creation will become very popular on the Board once every discovers it ease.

Rather than create software limits on Poll duration or the amount created by a member, I think as long as it becomes to be understood by the membership that one week is all that most Polls will need to give everyboy a chance to vote, then most of the potential problems will be minimized.

Basically, long Polls are not necessary. After one weekend's availability of voting, if it trickles to one or two votes daily, shut it down, cause that indicates voting has sated and a consensus of opinion probably has been captured.

Lest I forget, after two polls, one a single question, and the other multiples, let me wholeheartedly express that I think the Polls are a fantastic fun capability for members and can be very useful in creating interest in Legion as well as enticing lurkers into membership in order to enjoy the voting experience!

But we need to be proactive with a group sensibility about the necessity of shorter duration Polls.

Just my 20 cents.

ChameleonBoy
Reep, sounds more like $1.20 to me. smile

Anyway, all well thought out and more than I can take in and comment on in the manner it deserves right now. But, like I've already said above, I'm in the process of creating a special forum just for polling. I hope this will help ease the issue a bit for all involved.

#371303 07/10/03 08:09 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
LL, if there's a Poll forum, then I can't see my concerns really becoming problems.

Still just for organization purposes, it may be a good idea to put a 3 week limit on Polls, as I doubt longer is necessary and after that the Poll Creator may very well forget about them.

With a Poll forum, will there be much of a need to flag any as "important," unless there's a real time-sensitive issue that's being polled?

Another 8 cents.

ChameleonBoy

#371304 07/10/03 08:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
LL, if there's a Poll forum, then I can't see my concerns really becoming problems.

Still just for organization purposes, it may be a good idea to put a 3 week limit on Polls, as I doubt longer is necessary and after that the Poll Creator may very well forget about them.

With a Poll forum, will there be much of a need to flag any as "important," unless there's a real time-sensitive issue that's being polled?

Another 8 cents.

ChameleonBoy
I don't have an issue on the 3 week limit. And I think maybe we can come up with some 'poll etiquette' to post to the new forum that can be used as guidelines when creating polls. Things like a time limit and headlining.

#371305 07/10/03 08:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
For those tracking this topic here, the polls have been moved from the individual forums and placed into one new forum here . This will now be the place to poll your hearts out. In conjunction I have turned off the polling function in all areas except for The Planetary Chance Machine. The only exceptions I have made to this is allowing Steve and Dave to have polls in their respective sections. Please let me know if anyone has any questions about this change. Thanks for bearing with us.

#371306 07/11/03 04:03 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
But to clarify my question: is there an actual procedural option open to the Poll creator during the poll to close it down by, like filling in a close date, or clicking a box, etc?

Or is there a lockdown by the founders/mods after I announce a closing date/time?
I didn't want my main question about Poll closure procedure to be lost after my long spiel, so whenever either of you can advise is cool.

ChameleonBoy

#371307 07/11/03 08:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
As the poll's creator, I think I'll leave that decision to you. When you feel it's right to end it go ahead. I'd probably post a warning a day in advance to let anyone who hasn't voted vote, but that's me. It's your poll and you get to decide how it operates.

Nope. I don't log out when I leave either. It saves me the trouble of logging on again. Regardless the software indicates you were here up to 30 minutes after you leave.

#371308 07/12/03 01:56 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
NC, I understand that as poll creator it's up to me to declare it over. I'm quite clear on this.

My actual question is this: do I actually do anything to the Poll to shut it down so no one can vote anymore, or do you guys do that? Or is this even done?

Likewise am I correct in assuming that if the Poll is truly shutdown, however accomplished, the Poll results are then accessible to all viewers, whether voting or non-voting members, or even non-members? Or will I instead need to summarize the results in a post for everyone to read?

I'm just trying to get the details on any mechanics involved in closing a Poll and revealing the final results.

I hope I have made myself clear because I think my "essay" above may have obscured the simple points of my original questions!

ChameleonBoy

#371309 07/12/03 03:34 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
In looking through the control panel I can see no way to close a poll that does not have a closure date set at its creation. So, in partial answer to your question, no one can close the poll short of closing the actually topic.

If you set a closing time upon creation of the poll, the final results will always be available for anyone to view after the closing date. So in that case you would not need to summarize the results. But without a closing date posters can continue to vote on it until the topic itself is closed.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

#371310 07/12/03 02:46 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Yes. Thanx, LL.

So the final point, and anyone thinking of doing a Poll should pay note, is this: set a close date. O/W the only way everyone can see the results when you say it's over is if you type them up which can be a legnthy process depending on the Poll.

Thanks again, LL. I'm about to post a major Poll, and I will set a close date.

ChameleonBoy

#371311 07/12/03 06:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sorry. I didn't help. Polls are new to me. I've never had access to them before and haven't taken the time to play around with them to see how they work.

#371312 07/13/03 02:14 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Well, I now have played with them, and here's some free advice about Polls: don't bend over to pick up the soap.

This conclusion is based on solid empirical evidence and also English common Law.

ChameleonBoy

#371313 07/15/03 01:32 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Guys, I'd to make a request. I will probably close my first Poll (I think it was my first?!) on Screwiest characters later this week or first of next week.

I read where there's a limit of 3 Important Topic Flags per forum, so I was wondering if you could take the flag off Screwiest Topics and stick it on Legion World Census, which is it a bit more deserving I think.

Seeing that the How Many Posts topics has closed and there's an unused flag, I like to make a pitch to use it on the Poll I will be posting tomorrow. I'm going to keep it's content secret till then, but I sincerely believe it will be the funnest Poll yet.

But if you're saving that flag as sort of a "Founder's Flag" for what ever Poll you guys need to run, or simply don't concur with my assessment of tomorrow's Poll, I of course understand.

ChameleonBoy

#371314 07/15/03 06:25 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Saw the switch! Thanx guys!

ChameleonBoy

#371315 07/22/03 01:33 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Guys, Legion World Census # 1 has closed and I have added a Final Tally/analysis, as well aa copying that into a Discussion Topic in MMB.

You can remove the LWC flag. If possible I'd like it to go on "The Wish List." It only has three days left but the visibility boost can't hurt.

Thanx

ChameleonBoy

#371316 07/22/03 02:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Done. ChameleonBoy

#371317 07/22/03 07:21 AM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
"Quick, Robin -- to the Bat-Poll!"

#371318 07/24/03 12:25 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Favorite Supporting Heroes Poll is closed.

It may be deflagged, and sent on it's way out to sea, to be received into watery bosom of Lord Neptune.

Whoa...

Lord Neptune's got man-boobs.

ChameleonBoy

#371319 07/24/03 12:28 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
And apparently, they're lactating too.

More power to ya, old dude!

ChameleonBoy

#371320 07/28/03 12:24 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
The "What Preboot Legion Events or Plots do you want to see rebooted?" Poll has closed and can be deflagged.

For a replacement, I'd like to suggest my just created Poll, "Seven MUST Survive!!!"

Hopefully this will be as fun as Drake's "Five MUST Die!!" Poll.

ChameleonBoy

#371321 07/28/03 09:51 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Looks like Gary already beat me to it.

#371322 08/01/03 11:34 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Well, it looks like my "Seven MUST Survive" Poll has stalled, even though it still has 11 days left! I think it has been stuck on 26 votes for two days now.

I like to request it be deflagged and the flag put on my new Poll, "Choose your SINGLE FAVORITE LEGIONNAIRE of all time!" EDE's ten-favorites version of this Poll gathered quite a few votes with a flag and I hope this one will too.

Thanks, guys!

ChameleonBoy

#371323 08/02/03 01:20 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Hey, LL, I was just looking over your Adventure 247 homage tribute again and I remembered a possible candidate for inclusion that had occurred to me once.

Adventure 322 - with Proty in front of the LSP "admissions board." I haven't seen it in quite awhile, but I recall the scene being composed very much like 247. And if SM 147 is the first homage, then I guess this one is second, unless I'm forgetting one from your tribute.

Just FYI.

ChameleonBoy

#371324 08/02/03 10:57 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks again, NC.

You know, this occurrence of deflagging a Poll before it's finished because it's stalled makes me wonder if there would be any value in a time limit on flags in all forums, say of maybe two weeks?

Flags not only hold the top position for a particular topic for ease in usage, but they also certainly get viewers attention. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be in the best interest of keeping the forums as fresh as possible to have a different new topic flagged every week, rotating topics in and out of the flags?

Just an idea. I imagine some or all of this has occured to you guys as you do your magic that you do!

ChameleonBoy

#371325 08/03/03 02:23 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Just thought I'd point out something I've noticied about Polling topics.

Polls that actually don't use the Polling software (i.e. members instead vote by just posting) are bumped to the top of the topic list with each vote. Whereas in "software-Polls," votes don't bump the topic.

This in effect gives the posting-Polls an "advantage" that software-Polls don't enjoy, and it seems flagging posting-Polls is somewhat superflous in that they are automatically bumped to the top with every vote or post.

I think it's entirely fair and reasonable therefore to suggest that future Poll flagging give some precedence to software-Polls over posting-Polls. Software-Polls shouldn't be disadvantaged for using the forum-featured Polling software which removes much of a regular topics' "bumping capacity."

Additionally, posting-Polls seem to be almost open-ended, meaning they're going to be at the top a long, long time. As stated above, my view is that it's better to move a variety of Polls in and out of the flags so most get some "top" visability.

My two cents, or two-bits!

ChameleonBoy

#371326 08/05/03 02:24 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Any "Founders feedback" on my above idea?

#371327 08/05/03 05:30 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sorry, Reep. LegionPics saving and Yahoo nonsense has sucked up my free time.

Since I'm the one who flagged the topics, it's my fault the non-poll games are flagged. Again, sorry. Although I see the validity of your point, I feel awkward to unfag the topics now without the author's asking or the completion of the games. So, unfortunately, I'll leave them be until either occurs.

However, I believe I'll leave non-polls unflagged in the future and save the feature for polls only. I can not however speak for Scott or any Moderator that may be put into place.

I'm sorry about the current situation.

ChameleonBoy

#371328 08/05/03 07:00 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hey, LL, I was just looking over your Adventure 247 homage tribute again and I remembered a possible candidate for inclusion that had occurred to me once.

Adventure 322 - with Proty in front of the LSP "admissions board." I haven't seen it in quite awhile, but I recall the scene being composed very much like 247. And if SM 147 is the first homage, then I guess this one is second, unless I'm forgetting one from your tribute.

Just FYI.

ChameleonBoy
I'll have to see if this image is in my large backlog of homages. I haven't updated that page in quite a bit and I have at least twice as many variations to add. Thanks Reep.

#371329 08/05/03 07:14 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Sorry, Reep. LegionPics saving and Yahoo nonsense has sucked up my free time.

Since I'm the one who flagged the topics, it's my fault the non-poll games are flagged. Again, sorry. Although I see the validity of your point, I feel awkward to unfag the topics now without the author's asking or the completion of the games. So, unfortunately, I'll leave them be until either occurs.

However, I believe I'll leave non-polls unflagged in the future and save the feature for polls only. I can not however speak for Scott or any Moderator that may be put into place.

I'm sorry about the current situation.

ChameleonBoy
I don't foresee a problem with the suggestion other than what Gary has already raised for the current polls.

#371330 08/05/03 06:02 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks, guys.

You know, NC, you bring up Moderators, and there's one question that's been in the back of mind since the issue was raised. Will Moderators have the same access as Founders to members' info, specifically e-mail addresses? If so, if a member doesn't want that or any other restricted info available to other members, even if they have a Moderator position, will they be able retain their info privacy?

As I have said, I post here with the use of a friend's computer. I do not wish to abuse their generosity by having a public or semi-public e-mail address.

So, how much access will these temporary Moderators have to members' files?

#371331 08/05/03 08:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
We, Scott and I, can see things others including Moderators can't. We have access to the "Control Panel" and FTP capabilities. Moderators should just be able to use the options on a given page, that most users can't. I don't believe they could see a user's e-mail address.

But, I think I'll test things to be sure. wink

I have a guinea pig... laugh

#371332 08/06/03 01:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Various features have been tested. Your secrets (as well as everyone elses) rest with me and Scott, Reep. Moderators can only change things here on the board and it doesn't display anymore info than anyone else sees.

Hope that helps.

#371333 08/06/03 08:35 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Your secrets (as well as everyone elses) rest with me and Scott, Reep.
Heh, heh, heh. We know Reep's secrets. I wonder how much he's willing to pay to keep them secret? wink

#371334 08/06/03 04:02 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks, NC. I appreciate it.

NC & LL, I'm putting together a Legion World Census Version 1.2, which is pretty much a dupe of # 1 with a few tweaks. As the Founders, I thought I'd ask for any suggestions you might have on new or prior question & answers. Realistic suggestions. wink

I had requested such feedback from the membership, but primarily got some discussion on the results rather tweaking suggestions. So it's too late for them! No soup! One year.

NC, I forget (and can't find the post) where we had somewhat settled on additional response for marital status that you felt comfortable with. Was it "Unmarried Partners?" I guessing here. Is that angel or evil ? laugh

I'd like to get it up today or tomorrow. So if possible guys, please respond soon.

[If you want to quick review LWC # 1, it's on page 2 of PCM.]

Thanx

ChameleonBoy

#371335 08/06/03 05:04 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I finished the draft of LWC 1.2, which is good to go, but there are four so-so questions from # 1 that could be replaced with smarter ones if you guys can come up with any.

Perhaps there's specific Q's you'd liked asked about opinions on something regarding Legion World? Or some specific demographic curiosity you have about the membership that I haven't addressed yet?

Since the Census is about the membership, any very LSH specific Q's wouldn't be right here, but if you have any I'll save 'em for Legionnaires Questionnaire # 2 whenever I get to that.

I'll give you some time to consider some Q's. I won't post 1.2 till some time tomorrow. If I don't hear from you by the afternoon, I'll post.

ChameleonBoy

#371336 08/06/03 05:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The discussion thread about the first poll is here .

I believe you and I decided on adding "Commited Relationship" to the Marital Status question.

I think you've covered most of the key issues in that post. The only info I might have an interest in knowing about our members is how many use alt IDs and from where did they learn of the board. Such as from the new DCMB, a search engine (hopefully that's an option), Yahoo! groups, word of mouth (a friend e-mailed them about it), something along those lines.

#371337 08/06/03 05:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Gary's additions sound great to me. Sorry, but I can't think of anything more to add to it. Unless you are willing to add Wicca to the list of religions and not lump it in with 'other'. That's my only suggestion.

#371338 08/06/03 08:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I want to go ahead and ask that the Legion World Census Poll ver. 1.2 bump my Top 25 Legion Fan Poll game from the top flags in the PCM forum, once Reep gets it going. I think that one is the most important poll we can showcase right now, what with all our new friends popping in left and right. Thanks!

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#371339 08/06/03 08:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Will do KP. Thanks for being so thoughtful and generous.

#371340 08/07/03 02:21 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks KP! Whatta Legionnaire! Above and beyond! smile smile smile

Legion World Census Version 1.2 is on the boards.

Children should be immediately escorted to areas of safety, animals should take to their assigned sentry checkpoints, and adults should put on shiny helmets and impressive bandoliers. Cummerbunds are optional yet stylish.

All should wait for the signal from HQ that the Census has closed or football season has begin.

ChameleonBoy

#371341 08/09/03 04:24 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Esteemed Founders, my Single Fave Legionnaire Poll sems to have stalled at 35 votes for the last few days, so I guess you might as well deflag it. There's none of my remaining Polls that I would pitch as deserving a flag.

Even though I argued against posting-Polls getting a flag, it's only right to suggest first offering the flag to Kid Prime if he would like it for his Poll.

Thanx, guys

ChameleonBoy

#371342 08/09/03 05:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Said is done. We'll give KP first choice for the next featured topic.

#371343 08/10/03 02:07 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh, somebody else decide. I'm planning my wedding. I have to figure out how much barbeque to buy to feed 40 people, order 3 cakes, get balloons and streamers, write my vows, send the readings to the readers, and arrange "Seasons of Love" from "Rent" on my really expensive and awesome keyboard so it can be sung by my best friend Jeremy. Also, I have to pick out all the wine and beer, make sure my friend Amber will be comfortable giving the opening prayer, and I have to decide if I want to give my parents who think Lee and I are an abomination before God an invite.

You pick, Scott. I'll see you all in two weeks. laugh

#371344 08/10/03 02:24 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Good luck with everything Jeff. Hope you have one hell of a bash. As Caroline would say Brightest Blessings to you and your chosen. We love ya! love

#371345 11/15/03 11:03 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks for the welcome back over in PCM, LL. You guys have done a lot of positive changes around here. I thought I'd help give the near-dormant Poll Forum a little more activity.

I mentioned over in LW forum that I believed NC gave me permission to run simultaneous Polls before I retired, but I wasn't sure. I bring this up because I'm considering doing a Poll on members' Top Ten favorite Silver Age Legion stories, but I don't really want to wait until the end of the Census.

So can I get authorization for simultaneous Polls?

ChameleonBoy

#371346 11/15/03 05:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Go for it Reep. I don't think it'll be a problem and I'd be interested in seeing it.

#371347 11/15/03 06:03 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks, LL. I'll post it sometime today. Perhaps soon.

I don't have other Polls in mind now, but I still should ask if I have ongoing authorization for future simultaneous Polls, or should I check in with you or NC first? I want to be on solid ground when somebody asks, "How come that goddam dickwad Reep gets to do two fuckin' Polls and I only get to do a measly stinkin one?!?!"

I'm part Naltorian, so trust me, that's a verbatim quote.

ChameleonBoy

#371348 11/15/03 10:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wasn't the amount of polls running simultaneously part of the technical problems Legion World was experiencing a while back?

#371349 11/16/03 11:22 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Hey, LL or NC, can I get a final ruling on me doing future simultaneous Polls? If you want to set a limit on the amount of sim-Polling for me, that's cool. Hopefully at least three sim-Polls. laugh

Thanks, ChameleonBoy

#371350 11/17/03 05:55 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Reep, I'm sorta on a mini-vacation from the board. I'll be back Tuesday.

#371351 11/17/03 06:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And I'm actually trying to get Caroline's parents settled in and take care of her since she's wrenched her back so I'm not going to be around much at all this week.

So here's my decision, which Gary is more than welcome to change when he gets back.

No more than 2 sim-polls for now. Since we have been experiencing some troubles with the PowWeb server I'd hate to compound them with something we knew caused trouble on the old server.

Sorry Reep. Hope you can live with 2 at a time.

#371352 11/17/03 11:31 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks for responding guys. Well, I had of course hoped for more since I already have several fave story Polls ready to go and was going to ask permission to run the Superboy/Legion and Volume 2 Polls if you hadn't responded by this AM.

Unfortunately, I'm blocked out with the LWC for another week. If you find a way to up my limit I'd appreciate it.

ChameleonBoy

#371353 11/17/03 04:15 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
What I know I haven't seen yet, not argued or even asserted, is any reason why one person should be exempt from the rules that apply to the rest of us. Mere fervor for creating polls is not enough.

It may have been missed that, yes, the number of polls running from all users was one of the major reasons why this message board software became unstable. (Along with the database demand from the "recent visitors" feature and its cache.) That was why Gary set up the one-poll-at-a-time personal limit.

#371354 11/17/03 05:44 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Because my Polls are popular. Several people have stated how much they enjoy them, not only now, but repeatedly over three years.

I believe so far that within just three or four days, four people have asked or suggested Polls for me to do, including Lightning Lad. Even though they themselves have the capability to do Polls, they asked or suggested that I do them. They didn't ask other people to do them. They didn't ask you. They asked me.

By my estimate I've done at least 60 Polls, maybe 100, and many of them have been major efforts like the Legion World Census (of which the current is the third one.) I have run many Most Popular Legionnaires, Villains, Supporting Characters, Writers, Artist, etc. I received appreciation, often strong, on nearly every one.

I doubt that LL increased my limit because of my "ferver." (Hey, LL, did you increase my limit because of "ferver?") I assume it's because of my unmatched experience, proven ability, and enthusiastic popular demand.

You given me a great idea, Grey. Why don't I run a Poll about whether or not I should be limited to one or two Polls at a time? Since you feel my whopping two Poll limit is unjustified, I'm sure you'd like to see a membership vote on the matter.

I absolutely swear to abide by the decision of the majority of the voting membership.

Like I said, since I've already been given permission for two simultaneous Polls, there would be nothing provocative about it. A simple up or down vote whether I should continue to have the privilege,

I think I'll start a discussion topic over at PCM and find out how other people feel about me doing this Poll!

Great idea, Grey!

ChameleonBoy

#371355 11/17/03 07:03 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I don't care whether someone runs one poll or sixty at once. It's not my call, anyway. All that matters here are these points:

~ As few as eight to ten simultaneous polls have already been enough to seriously endanger the stability of this software.

~ If one person runs five or six polls, most others are thus effectively excluded from doing so at all.

~ If a limit is imposed on each member, to avoid such breakdowns, that means all members, if it is to be fair -- with only demonstrated cause for making exceptions. Not simply because one "wants to."

~ Neither of the founders appear to be in the "market" for a full-time poll-taker -- and it's Scott's and Gary's clubhouse.

~ It's no one's place to say one will "abide by the vote of the membership" when the matter has not even been put forward by the founders for such a vote.

#371356 11/26/03 10:09 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I guess I probably should have placed my request here rather than on my Poll.

My Volume 2 & Volume 3 Fave Stories Poll went thru when created without a closetime. I'm certain I checked all the boxes and filled in the clock info for the closetime, but it didn't take. So LL & NC, I would appreciate it if you could add a closetime of Nov 29, 6:00 PM to it. I'm giving it a few extra days because of the holiday.

Thanks,

ChameleonBoy

BTW, am I correct in assuming only Founders and not Mods can alter closetimes?

#371357 11/26/03 07:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
BTW, am I correct in assuming only Founders and not Mods can alter closetimes?
Yes. I have to change the code of the file itself. It's not apart of the program.

#371358 11/26/03 08:00 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Thanks, NC.

Okay I'll address future clock adjustments to you and LL. I'm going to post a new Poll tonight and I'm gonna double-secret-probation-check that I check the boxes and do the timeset, so if the closetime doesn't happen it may indicate that it's not just Reep ineptness.

ChameleonBoy

#371359 12/01/03 12:50 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I guess since the Election Poll was set with the same close date & time as my Run-Off Stories Poll, it's probably best that I request to move my Poll off that day and have it changed to Dec 9th, 1200 PM PST.

Thanks guys.

ChameleonBoy

#371360 12/01/03 01:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I guess since the Election Poll was set with the same close date & time as my Run-Off Stories Poll, it's probably best that I request to move my Poll off that day and have it changed to Dec 9th, 1200 PM PST.
Is it really that big a deal that two polls conclude on the same day?

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#371361 12/01/03 01:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Crujectra:
[b] I guess since the Election Poll was set with the same close date & time as my Run-Off Stories Poll, it's probably best that I request to move my Poll off that day and have it changed to Dec 9th, 1200 PM PST.
Is it really that big a deal that two polls conclude on the same day? [/b]
And the only reason it has the same time is that the quickest way for me to set the close date and time this morning was to grab the time stamp off of yours Reep. I can reset the time on the election poll later when I get home.

#371362 12/01/03 09:01 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Originally posted by Crujectra:
[b] I guess since the Election Poll was set with the same close date & time as my Run-Off Stories Poll, it's probably best that I request to move my Poll off that day and have it changed to Dec 9th, 1200 PM PST.
Is it really that big a deal that two polls conclude on the same day? [/b]
Of what possible consequence is my request about my Poll to you, Cru?

They're not just concluding on the same day. They're closing at the same exact moment. Even though mine was set first, I didn't ask that the closetime of the Election Poll be changed. I simply asked that my Poll's time be changed.

I have been working on the many Story Polls of this project steadily for two weeks, and since the Election Poll will unquestionably be the topic of the day when it concludes, I think it's only fair for me to request a different day in order to have a few tiny moments of the members' time for the results of my little project of which I put into a lot of fuckin time and work.

But I guess if someone considers my project to be entirely inconsequential, then one wouldn't see the fuckin obvious situation I mentioned above because one wouldn't give a shit about what happens to my project. Your indifference speaks volumes. In other words, whatever happens to my project is no "big deal." If it gets buried during the Election results, too bad. Who cares, right, Cru?

It's no big deal. Just another one of Reep's damn Polls.

How rude of me to consider it otherwise.

#371363 12/01/03 09:36 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
It sounded to me like Cru was asking if it there would be technical difficulties with polls ending at the same time. Not sure why the profanity was necessary.

#371364 12/01/03 09:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
It sounded to me like Cru was asking if it there would be technical difficulties with polls ending at the same time. Not sure why the profanity was necessary.
Me neither. And it is definitely NOT appreciated!

Scott explained why the times are the same.

I guess I should explain to you all that the time is coded with no discernable logic to me or to Scott. That means in order to add or change a poll time, a new poll has to be created (or in this case, borrowed) from.

So there you go. I'd appreciate a little more compassion and understanding between board members, thank you very much!

#371365 12/01/03 10:32 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Sorry. I apologize for language, but Cru was not expressing any concern about technical difficulties. Please.

I requested my Poll closetime be changed and he asked if it's "really that big a deal" that two Polls conclude on the same day. LL hadn't even posted yet and there was no mention at all of any possible technical difficulties.

"Really that big a deal" is provocative phrasing considering all I did was request a different time for my Poll, not his.

Either way, of what concern to Cru is my requesting that I move my Poll closetime, so much so that he feels compelled to use "really that big a deal" about my simple request.

I apologize for my language, but not for responding to intentionally provocative language.

#371366 12/02/03 05:08 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Reep, I wasn't trying to irritate you... I guess I just didn't see my wording as being provocative. I really was just wondering why you didn't want our polls to conclude at the same time (and honestly, I thought it was just the same day... I missed the point that it was the exact same time).

In any case, I don't think it was necessary to go all explosive on me and make assumptions as to my motives. I'm not saying that I can't be a bitch sometimes, but I really wasn't trying to be one in this particular instance.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#371367 12/05/03 10:32 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
We'll let it go as a misunderstanding, Cru.

Gary and Scott, it appears my Run-Off Poll has stalled at 13 votes. So, could either of you knock off a couple of days of the closetime and change it to December 7, 1200 PM PST (Sunday.) The member interest isn't there, I'd like to get another Personality Poll going on Sunday rather than Tues. I plan to start the Best & Worst Of The Year Poll tomorrow after the first Personality Poll concludes.

Thank ya!

#371368 12/05/03 01:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
If Gary doesn't beat me to it, I'll try and change the time and date for you when I get home tonight.

#371369 12/05/03 01:57 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
As ever, cool as Brek. I take back a quarter of my Proty jokes! No, half!

PolarBoy

#371370 12/05/03 07:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Gary and Scott, it appears my Run-Off Poll has stalled at 13 votes. So, could either of you knock off a couple of days of the closetime and change it to December 7, 1200 PM PST (Sunday.) The member interest isn't there, I'd like to get another Personality Poll going on Sunday rather than Tues. I plan to start the Best & Worst Of The Year Poll tomorrow after the first Personality Poll concludes.

Thank ya!
Done.

The following is for everyone and not directed at anyone in particular:

I would like to go on record as saying that I don't want to make changing poll times (or adding them for that matter) a habit. It's a pain in the butt. Let's all take the time to make poll ending times just as important and thought out as the poll itself. And remember to check BOTH boxes. Please!

#371371 12/05/03 08:07 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I hear ya, Gary.

Uh, one thing. I requested a Dec 7th close, and I afraid you clicked the 6th in error. Hey, it's Friday - can't blame ya if ya got Saturday on your mind! Might as well keep it as is anyway, The Poll's deader than the last of my T-Day turkey. It'll allow me to start either the Best & Worst Of The Year Poll earlier (if I hear back from EDE in time on a question) or the next Personality Poll.

Thanks,

ChameleonBoy

#371372 12/06/03 01:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks for taking care of that for me Gary. My meeting after work ran way late. I didn't get home until after 11:00. Nothing like a 18+ hour day.

#371373 12/06/03 10:32 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Obvious question: Is there no mod/hack that would allow the user to change/set poll times after it starting?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#371374 12/06/03 08:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
Obvious question: Is there no mod/hack that would allow the user to change/set poll times after it starting?
Not that I know of. Polls aren't popular with hack creators (as seen by the lack of the Instant Graemlin box after I did the smiley hack.) Also, after trying to hack the polls myself for the graemlin hack, I can honestly say their a seperate animal than the rest of the board. None of the code looks remotely like the rest of the UBB.

#371375 12/09/03 11:53 AM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
The new colored bars in Poll results are beautiful and they're representational organization (red reprensents highest response down to green being lowest) is really great!

However, it appears they or something have caused a problem with the percentages. The highest votes, even though less than all votes cast are showing "100%" of votes cast. I haven't done the math yet to see if this miscalcuation continues down through lower vote totals.

I only checked results in my Personality Poll #2.

I'll check some others.

#371376 12/09/03 12:02 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I checked my Best & Worst Poll and it's there too. It also in my closed Personality Poll # 1.

What is happening is that the highest vote getter's amount is being assumed as total votes cast (100%), and all others are keying off that amount in their percentages, not the actual votes cast.

Example: if 10 total votes actually cast, and leader has 6 votes, then a choice with 3 votes is showing 50% rather than 33%.

#371377 12/09/03 12:38 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Reep, I just had a look and, quite literally, its just YOUR polls that are suffering from this. My Waid/Kitson poll, STU's latest "Choose Wisely" and Grey's Companion poll are fine.

#371378 12/09/03 01:06 PM
Reep Offline OP
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
SorM I've moved my posts on this and my findings to the "Notice" topic at PCM for convenience.

#371379 12/09/03 01:10 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Hmmm... were all the messed-up polls date corrected? I KNOW the JFK one was, and a quick check shows the election thread was too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,967
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
antacidlass
antacidlass
wherever acid reflux lurks
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star