Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/18/24 10:20 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/18/24 10:18 PM
What I found today at my LCS!
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/18/24 07:27 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/18/24 07:19 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/18/24 07:18 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/18/24 06:59 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/18/24 10:47 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS!
#37371 04/06/08 02:28 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Tromium:
I rarely have carnal thoughts about comic book characters -- especially teenage ones -- but I do appreciate seeing the Legionnaires drawn so healthy and beautiful, like young gods Francis is doing a great job!
Yuck!

Has it really come to that?

#37372 04/06/08 02:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What's wrong with liking the character's to be appealing? Or is it the carnal thing that's got you yucking?

I suppose this would be a bad time to bring up my fetish with ubiquitous boobage.

#37373 04/06/08 08:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The art just sucks big time in this book. I hate it so much I find it a struggle to get through the story. This is possibly the worst art I've seen in Legion since Coipel (and I realize it wasn't Coipel's fault, but the inking.)

I'm so disinterested in this series that I'm seriously considering giving up a 40 year habit.

On the other hand, I loved the final issue of the Action arc and can hardly wait until August.

I hope after the Legion of 3 Worlds they cancel this series and go with the Lightning Saga Legion, because if this is the only Legion I have, I'm just going to have to grow up and give up comics.

#37374 04/06/08 09:16 PM
Active
Active
Garth and Ayla are twins. It makes sense that they each function better when with a partner. For Ayla, it seems to be with any warm body and Garth perhaps subconsciously kicked into gear when his beloved Imra showed up.

I hope Garth can return the supportive favour for his sister when the time comes for her to need it.

#37375 04/06/08 09:29 PM
Active
Active
It also just occurred to me that TWolf called on Saturn Girl because her powers are needed...perhaps to mind wipe witnesses?

#37376 04/07/08 03:45 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Owl Lad:
It also just occurred to me that TWolf called on Saturn Girl because her powers are needed...perhaps to mind wipe witnesses?
maybe to just calm the crowd down?? She probably created a scene knowing Projectra smile

#37377 04/07/08 10:27 PM
A
Active
Active
A
So, I still don't care a bit about the massive invading army #378 (or whatever number they are), so I'm very glad that most of the character interactions didn't focus exclusively on it. The fusillade of scenes was a nice way to show off individual legionnaires, and that's a big part of why I read.

What made no sense to me was Ayla's about face regarding Garth. How is she, his twin sibling, so sure he can't lead in one issue and so repentant the next. Did she just meet him after having been abducted at birth? I'd think she might know a thing or two about how he acts--something that would temper her reaction.

Not really interested in Invisible Kid & Giselle, and almost not interested in Projectra just because both of these plotlines seem to be reaffirming the Legion v. the UP theme that I am sick of, repulsed by, etc.

Nonetheless, the many character interactions helps save the day--a nice issue for me.

#37378 04/08/08 07:42 AM
Active
Active
[QUOTE]
The Jeckie story appears to be the most interesting, and not just because it seems I was right about the pragmatic reasons for the UP's action aganist her. QUOTE]

This is one reason why I'm really excited about this run, yes there are still many many questions, but here we are seeing clear answers and not subtle hints that may or may not be followed up on. We wonder what is going on with Projectra's status and it was pointed out what economic/political reactions there would be, and we are seeing it AND it is getting explained.

We aren't left wondering if this is happening as a plot device or is there an actual logical reason, and that gives me more faith that my questions will be answered (and fairly quickly at that).

As for Ayla switching her tune on Garth, come on, weren't we all saying we didn't really want to see another "Garth is a bad leader" story? So we all were with Ayla there, and now we're all saying "Kudos to Garth, he does have what it takes" so why are we surprised that Ayla comes to the same conclusion.

Look, I don't know how my brother and sister would handle leadership roles, I have a vauge idea based on their personality, but I've never seen them be a leader and for all I know they could sink or they could swim. I'm sure Ayla is the same way, even when Garth was deputy leader (as alluded to by Waid) he wasn't fully in charge so I don't think Ayla has ever seen her brother in that situation, she probably thought he could handle it and then saw that he was over his head.

However, his handling of the group (not letting the argument get out of hand) and being fair to both Imra and Brin (you may think SG got off easily but that wasn't Garth's call, that was Brin's) plus telling Brin he needed to control himself, good leader stuff. He is obviously going to be a different type of leader than Cos and I think Ayla realizes this, but earlier it looked like Garth was completly lost and was just going to let the waves push him around. Now she sees he can stand up and lead when they need it and that probably meshes better with what she knows about her brother than the inept leadership he was showing earlier.

So to me Ayla's turnaround makes perfect sense, she knows her brother can be smart and commanding, he just wasn't showing it earlier and she was getting concerned, but now she knows he can make the tough calls and make the others listen, so her faith in him is renewed (besides, you never really want to stab your sibling in the back, unless of course your Mekt).

Again, I really enjoyed the character's interaction this issue, as they make the characters seem more real and more like individuals.

Long Live the Legion!
#37379 04/08/08 08:53 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by stephbarton:
This is one reason why I'm really excited about this run, yes there are still many many questions, but here we are seeing clear answers and not subtle hints that may or may not be followed up on. We wonder what is going on with Projectra's status and it was pointed out what economic/political reactions there would be, and we are seeing it AND it is getting explained.

We aren't left wondering if this is happening as a plot device or is there an actual logical reason, and that gives me more faith that my questions will be answered (and fairly quickly at that).
I agree with all of your post, but especially this.

After 30+ issues of meandering subplots that got introduced and then abandoned as fast as they appeared, it's such a wonderful thing to have a writer who seems to be paying attention to his own work.

It was hard to maintain interest in the last run when the *writer* couldn't even be bothered to express an interest in what he was doing...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#37380 04/08/08 05:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I loved this issue. smile I wasn't so crazy about #39, but this one was great. A lot of personality came through, even with so many characters this issue. Excellent. laugh

Originally posted by Tromium:
I loved this issue, too. Kudos to FJM for all the morsels of silent characterization -- like Trip sitting on Jan's lap, Jo yanking Cham's antenna, Saturn Girl turning her head away from Garth in shame, and Brin bowing and kissing Jeckie's hand.

Priceless moment -- Brainy flailing his arms in the air and screaming "The Alien Destroyers?!" while everyone else is busy arguing about Saturn Girl's guilt. (The reaction of each Legionnaire towards Saturn Girl and Timber Wolf was spot on true to character, though I'm not quite sure why Atom Girl would feel so protective of Brin. A secret crush perhaps?)
She did say he was hot in issue #34. Vi and Brin are my favourite characters in any reality, so I wouldn't complain about them interacting more, although I don't like love triangles. An ex-princess vs. an ex-slave, though, that might be interesting.

I noticed the hand kissing, too. I wonder if that came about because of Jeckie, or if it's something from his past. We don't know what Brin's life was like pre-powers.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#37381 04/08/08 08:12 PM
A
Active
Active
A
As for Ayla switching her tune on Garth, come on, weren't we all saying we didn't really want to see another "Garth is a bad leader" story? So we all were with Ayla there, and now we're all saying "Kudos to Garth, he does have what it takes" so why are we surprised that Ayla comes to the same conclusion.
I don't see how a fan desire to not see a particular plot can provide a conclusion for a character in the plot.

Look, I don't know how my brother and sister would handle leadership roles, I have a vauge idea based on their personality, ...

earlier it looked like Garth was completly lost and was just going to let the waves push him around. Now she sees he can stand up and lead when they need it and that probably meshes better with what she knows about her brother

I, too, have siblings, and got a first-hand look at their leadership abilities (maybe because they were older). But, even for non-relatives, if I've known them for more than 15 years, I will have enough information so that I won't vascillate from "terrible" to "fabulous" opinions of their performance in the space of a day. Thus, to me, Ayla's response seemed contrived.

#37382 04/09/08 08:53 AM
Submission Editor at Source Point Press
Submission Editor at Source Point Press
Originally posted by Arachne:

[/qb]
She did say he was hot in issue #34. Vi and Brin are my favourite characters in any reality, so I wouldn't complain about them interacting more, although I don't like love triangles. An ex-princess vs. an ex-slave, though, that might be interesting.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Atom Girl is also one of my favorites. I'm pretty sure the tough girl could take the pampered princess (Especially with the stuff she's going through), but hey, when did this become the discussion of a cat-fight? Sorry.

#37383 04/09/08 10:31 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
LOL I wasn't talking about a physical fight. I was thinking more along the line of conflicting philosophies.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#37384 04/10/08 11:24 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
[b] ...
I don't see how a fan desire to not see a particular plot can provide a conclusion for a character in the plot. [/b]
I was just saying that my reaction to Garth was similar to Ayla's. We are seeing the same things and coming to the same conclusions. It has nothing to do with MY desire to see or not to see a certain storyline, it just seems that Ayla's conclusions/thoughts mirrored a lot of people's conclusions/thoughts on this board.

Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
[b] Look, I don't know how my brother and sister would handle leadership roles, I have a vauge idea based on their personality, ...

earlier it looked like Garth was completly lost and was just going to let the waves push him around. Now she sees he can stand up and lead when they need it and that probably meshes better with what she knows about her brother

I, too, have siblings, and got a first-hand look at their leadership abilities (maybe because they were older). But, even for non-relatives, if I've known them for more than 15 years, I will have enough information so that I won't vascillate from "terrible" to "fabulous" opinions of their performance in the space of a day. Thus, to me, Ayla's response seemed contrived. [/b]
See, I've never actually been in that situation. My siblings are older also, but I have never NEEDED them to be the leader in any situation I can recall. Thus I have never truly seen what thy are capable of. I have seen them at their lowest, but even having known them my entire life (and being very close to them) they still do things that surprise me and act in ways that still manage to impress.

To me her actions make perfect sense, she isn't actively trying to fight Garth, or undermine his leadership or anything. She is just expressing her doubts and concerns to Tinya, a friend. I don't see her actions as being like "For the good of the Legion Garth must go." I honestly read it more of "maybe I should talk to Garth, maybe I should do the *hard* thing and tell him he is messing up."

Then she sees what she suspected was there all along, that he can make the tough decisions and make people listen.

I think one thing to keep in mind is that it appears Cos was the leader for the Legion since the begining, so you go from Cos' leadership style, to Brainy's semi-coup, to Supergirl (who doesn't really count because as leader she didn't really do anything) to Garth who isn't a master delegator, even if he didn't muff up the team assignments I still think there would be a lack of confidence because it is a large difference in leadership styles.

Oh well, to me it make perfect sense, to you it doesn't, I don't really think there is a way to convince one way or the other as we both project our own reading/understanding/experiences on to the situation.

Long Live the Legion!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,447
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Insouciant Lad
Insouciant Lad
College Park, MD
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star