Roll Call
0 members (), 40 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/28/24 09:57 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
More pedantic proverbs
#386805 05/14/05 01:36 PM
strange but not a stranger
OP Offline
I decided to do some more of these myself.

For any new people a pedantic proverb is taking a common saying and make it sound like a lawyer said it.

For example: "an explosion of light occurring in a cooking utensil." is another way of saying "A flash in the pan".

So here are six sayings. After translating them, can you tell something else about the sayings?

And as always, please hide your answers or provide spoiler space so everyone can do this.

1) An accumulation of the outermost extremity of the upper limb on the human body that is more than a few causes an activity not pursued for pleasure to be rendered of a nature that provides for successful completion with minimum effort.

2) If the number of those whose profession is of a culinary nature exceeds an optimum number by even a single unit, then the clear liquid obtained by heating animal or vegetable materials in a mixture of one part oxygen and two parts hydrogen is rendered unmerchantable.

3) The organ responsible for circulating a nourishment-carrying, waste-removing fluid through the body of a vertebrate animal is said to increase in affection for that which once was in close proximaty but is currently beyond one's physical presence.

4) An item whose appearance is rendered null through distance or by the intervention of some obscuring object and thus cannot be perceived by ocular organs will likewise be missing from that organ responsible for cognitive thought processes.

5) Those who exhibit the characteristics of a fearless and daring spirit will be shown partiality towards by a hypothetical force or personified power that unpredictably determines events and issues favorably or unfavorably.

6) In a competition involving traveling a set distance, victory is assured to one who exhibits a counterintuitive velocity and a manner showing little variation or fluctuation.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Re: More pedantic proverbs
#386806 05/14/05 03:06 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
I luv lawyer-talk!

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

<font size="1">1. Many hands make light work
2. Too many cooks spoil the broth
3. Absence makes the heart gro fonder
4. Out of sight, out of mind
5. Fortune favors the brave
6. Slow and steady wins the race</font s>

#386807 05/14/05 03:11 PM
OP Offline
TD, you need better spoiler spacing. On the "active topics" you can read your answers

Oh wait with this post I fixed that problem

#386808 05/14/05 03:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
1)I know what this says, but I don't know the proverb

2)Too many cooks spoil the broth

3)Absence makes the heart grow fonder

4)Out of sight, out of mind

5)Fortune favors the bold

6)Slow and steady wins the race

What's obvious is how 1 & 2, 3 & 4, and 5 & 6 contradict each other.

Edited for color.

(edit: Spoiler space added since I didn't get the color this was supposed to be.)

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#386809 08/09/07 02:51 PM
OP Offline
1) Those who perform illegal acts belong to a group with two attributes; the first being the anti-thesis of a lack of fear or timidity and the second being an adherent of folklorish beliefs that cannot be proven by logic or reason.

2) Physical might remarkable in magnitude, degree, or effectiveness is accompanied by a sense of duty and obligation of equal scope and magnitude.

3) A group comparable to the principal unit of the Roman army comprising 3000 to 6000 foot soldiers with cavalry is entreated to maintain itself over a period of considerable time.

4) Occurring during a diurnal period that exhibits the ultimate of radiating or reflecting light and occurring during the subsequent chronal period exhibiting the greatest absense of radiation that allows for vision.

#386810 08/09/07 10:48 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I think I've figured out the second batch:

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">1) Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot.

2) With great power comes great responsibility.

3) Long Live The Legion!

4) "In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ..."
</span></span>

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#386811 08/09/07 11:59 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
No problem!

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">
1. Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot.
2. With great power comes great responsibility.
3. Long Live the Legion
4. In brightest day, in blackest night...</span></span>

#386812 08/10/07 01:24 PM
OP Offline
Both of you are correct.

PS. please tell me it took a little bit of thought to figure them out.

#386813 10/25/07 01:59 PM
OP Offline
OK, I came up with some more using TV catchphrases.

1) The negative ownership of the distaff member of the species Bos taurus is advised to the appellation of an adult male.

2) The revenge and retribution of the being recognized by the majority as creator of all reality will be caused by the specific action performed by the person opposite the speaker.

3) The first person singular takes great pleasure in the occurrence of an orderly arrangement of parts of an overall design or objective uniting

4) The application of a counter or retarding force to an initial application of invasive or aggressive force will achieve a null consequence and is an inefficient use of time, energy, and effort.

5) The property of being in accord with fact and reality remains located in a place to which one must venture forth

6) You are requested to refrain from causing any action that would result in a state of antagonism as the consequence of the state of antagonism would produce a negative perception during such period.

7) The probability of success was assumed to be one hundred percent but for a group of immature individuals who interested themselves in matters to which they had no right or propriety

#386814 02/25/08 01:03 PM
OP Offline
Ok I was bored and came up with some more.

1) One is instructed to act in a manner consistent with what is expressed in words and to not act in a manner similar to how the speaker executes his/her own physical activities.

2) People with an XY chromosone who has been deprived of the animating force is unable to narrate a series of facts or events.

3) Authorization is given to a person who has never transgressed any moral or religious law to catapult the primary projectile made of earthy or mineral matter.

4) The sum total of thoroughfare, bypaths, avenues, and boulevards result in an end terminus at a metropolis purportedly founded by twin brothers.

5) A holiday thought to have orginiated in opposition to pagan celebrations of the winter solistice arrives upon a single occurance within a period consisting of 365 days.

6) The incorporaton of discarded or useless material will result in the exportation of an end product of similar properties.

7) High thick masonry structures forming a long rampart of enclosure is said to be in possession of vertebrate organs capable of detecting vibratory motions.

#386815 03/04/08 08:21 PM
Deputy
Deputy
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">
1. Do as I say, not as I do.
2. Dead men tell no tales.
3. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
4. All roads lead to Rome.
5. Christmas comes but once a year.
6. Garbage in, gargage out.
7. The walls have ears.
</span></span>

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#386816 03/04/08 09:32 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
The thirty-sixth element is remarkable or outstanding in magnitude, degree or extent!

The precise chronal increment has been arrived upon in which it is incumbent upon the individual to perform great acts of physical violence.

Individuals engaged in the attainment of vengeance against those who have perpetrated wrongdoing upon them will gather.

The party of the second part is anticipated to have a strong negative preference to any occurrence in which the party of the first part becomes emotionally agitated.

The party in question is to be considered merely an amiable and geographically regionalized humaniform with arachnoid characteristics.

Veracity is not localized.

The speaker is a structure for the transformation of visible light into chemical energy through a chlorophyll-based process existing precariously upon an agitated waveform of air molecules.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#386817 03/05/08 01:19 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Bicycle Repair Man:
1. Do as I say, not as I do.
2. Dead men tell no tales.
3. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
4. All roads lead to Rome.
5. Christmas comes but once a year.
6. Garbage in, gargage out.
7. The walls have ears.
</span></span>
7 for 7, Bicycle Repairman

#386818 03/05/08 01:35 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Set:
The thirty-sixth element is remarkable or outstanding in magnitude, degree or extent!

The precise chronal increment has been arrived upon in which it is incumbent upon the individual to perform great acts of physical violence.

Individuals engaged in the attainment of vengeance against those who have perpetrated wrongdoing upon them will gather.

The party of the second part is anticipated to have a strong negative preference to any occurrence in which the party of the first part becomes emotionally agitated.

The party in question is to be considered merely an amiable and geographically regionalized humaniform with arachnoid characteristics.

Veracity is not localized.

The speaker is a structure for the transformation of visible light into chemical energy through a chlorophyll-based process existing precariously upon an agitated waveform of air molecules.

1. Great Krypton!

2. It's Clobberin' Time!

3. Avengers Assemble!

4. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

5. Your friendly neighborhood Spider-man.

6. The truth is out there.

7. ?
</span></span>

I had used 4 & 6 (if I am correct) for a previous round. See 5 & 6 in the TV Catchphrases above.

#386819 03/05/08 03:26 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
I had used 4 & 6 (if I am correct) for a previous round. See 5 & 6 in the TV Catchphrases above.
Oops, I did the first couple of sets, but kept rushing the page because I didn't want to read the spoilers. smile

For my seventh, it's a relatively memorable line from a TV show-turned-movie.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,973
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star