Roll Call
0 members (), 20 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 12:15 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:41 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:40 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:07 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 10:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 55 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 54 55
Re: Need A Legion Reference? Post Here
#42079 10/21/08 01:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b] It's specifically stated in the Jeckie/Val wedding issue that Ultra Boy cannot break the time barrier by himself. It has something to do with his lack of ability to be invulnerable at the time he's using his super-speed.
I didn't think of that, it makes perfect sense that he would need to be invulnerable at the same time. Thanks so much for the reply. Do you think he could fly fast enough though if he was invulnerable? Also in the DC universe do they equate teh ability to break the time barrier with flying faster than the speed of light?[/b]
Before 1985, it was largely a matter of being able to travel fast enough; many people seemed to do it (even Dawnstar sort-of did in DC Comics Presents 17, but this seems to have been an isolated instance).

Since 1985, it isn't just speed; Pocket-Universe Superboy could but Superman couldn't, and even the Flashes had more problems in time travelling, even with their Cosmic Treadmill.

Basically, in the mid-80s DC realized time travel was too easy, and shouldn't be as taken for granted as it had become.

It would seem odd for Jo to have that power on his own, at least in a controllable fashion. But we did see Jo time-travel twice in an involuntary (or partially voluntary) fashion: During the Reflecto saga (v.2 277-283) and in his Egyptian exile (v.4, spread out between 10 and 20).

In the first case, he survived an energy attack and was thought dead but was actually immaterial, invisible and undetectable; in a panic he thought Superboy could help and found he could propel himself back in time to him, something he could not do (or never tried) as a solid person.

In the second case, the weapon that shot him was a temporal weapon that sent him back in time 5,000 years, but deposited him on Khundia, far, far from the place he was shot (Winath). So there Jo was able to withstand time travel across space, a presumably harsher condition than time travelling without leaving the same environment (a consideration most CB writers ignore anyway).

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#42080 10/21/08 02:49 PM
Active
Active
Ok, do the Legion comics take place in the Milky Way galaxy as a whole or do the characters travel from one galaxy to the other in their ships or with Superboy flying through space? Just from reading the comics this is not clear to me.

What is the limit in size to the DC universe (in regards to where the storylines take place. I have a map from DC games which seems to indicate that the Khundish empire, The Dominion, The Dark Circle, and UP Space are all part of the Milky Way Galaxy. Does anyone know if this is true. The map is rather poor and provides no scale in miles or light years so it is tough to get much out of it. The only thing I really get is the location of planets in comparison to one another, but again no scale.

Anyone have a good DC map? Anyone know if the above empires are all in the Milky Way?

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
#42081 10/21/08 04:38 PM
T
Active
Active
T
I think I've seen the map you're thinking of. I don't know if there's a better one.

The Legion is generally limited to our galaxy. Green Lanterns, whereas, range across the universe (though the writers' conception of the spatial universe makes no sense).

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#42082 10/24/08 07:57 AM
Active
Active
I think it was said Mon-EL was stronger because he had all his weaknesses gone. He had his Serum to protect him from lead and he wasn't vunerable to Kryptonite. That's why he was "stronger".

Bring back the super-cousins
#42083 10/24/08 02:45 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Triplicate Kid:
I think I've seen the map you're thinking of. I don't know if there's a better one.

The Legion is generally limited to our galaxy. Green Lanterns, whereas, range across the universe (though the writers' conception of the spatial universe makes no sense).
Yea, I think it's time to make my own on the computer. I'll end up making a lot of my own calls as to what is where, distance between worlds, that sort of thing.

#42084 10/24/08 02:51 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
For what it's worth, I believe the Khunds were originally described as being "from a distant galaxy", but more recent depictions have tended to move them much closer to Earth.

#42085 10/29/08 02:40 PM
Active
Active
Do we have a list of EVERY Legion series and mini-series somewhere? I know we have the recent compliled list offered by one of the fans, but I'm talking about a title list we could take to the store and use as a shopping guide. I'm sure there are tons of titles and spin offs people like myself are unware of and therefore don't go to that section of the comic archive files. If no such list is available I think we should have a sticky thread for such a list. This type of list would be invaluable for those who are "getting into the hobby" either for the first time or from a leave of absence. This type of list should include:

The title
The month and years that it ran
The issue numbers
Also what "Legion" it is tied to....original, reboot, etc.

#42086 10/29/08 03:19 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
There's the Legion Checklist over in the Encyclopedia Galactica section of this site. Currently, it's only updated to 1976, however.

#42087 10/29/08 03:28 PM
Active
Active
Sounds like it's really outdated, I'd expect most of the mini-series came in the 1990's as well as the 80's and 90's seeing the majority of the title changes. What can we do to update it?

#42088 10/29/08 07:46 PM
T
Active
Active
T

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#42089 10/29/08 07:52 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Be better linking to http://www.legionwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Legion_Publication_History - images (mostly covers in this instance) uploaded in the past ten months or so won't show up on the legionclubhouse/wiki link.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#42090 10/30/08 05:29 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Does anyone know of any Legion-related pumpkin stencils?

#42091 11/08/08 01:24 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Two questions. Probably stupid but I've been searching for hours on the boards and can't find an answer, although I'm sure it's there but I am running out of stamina.

1.) TMK Legion. What does TMK stand for. I think I know all the other abbreviations but I can't figure this one out.

2.) In the Legion of Three Worlds (Lo3W--see I know some abbreviations) they refer to the 3 legions having met before. From what I understand this is in reference to something that hasn't been published. Am I correct or is there another story this refers to. The closest I could find was a story in the reboot era from LoSH #105 and Legionnaires #61-62, but I don't think that holds up with the 3-boot. (Don't have access to those issues at the moment to read and double check.)

Thank you for any help.

There is no better Super Hero group to have ever been in comics than the Legion of Super Heroes.
#42092 11/08/08 03:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
1) Tom and Mary Bierbaum & Keith Giffen - the creative team behind that era of the the Legion.

2) A later-corrected panel from Lighting Saga provided a glimpse at the never-before published story -

Originally posted by andrewnolan2001:
Do not, I repeat, do not look at the scan or read this message if you don't want to know.

SPOILER SPACE
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

click to enlarge

Attached is a scan of the original art to JSA #6 page 2 panel 1. The published version used a patch panel but the original art shows the original panel that was planned for the issue. My guess (pure speculation on my part) is that the editor thought this panel would reveal too much too soon and requested the patch panel.

The panel clearly shows that there are three versions of the Legion with one Superboy. One of the Brainiac 5's has a monkey on his shoulder and Gates apears in the panel so we know that the post-Zero Hour Legion will be recognized in DC continuity. One Lightning Lad is clearly in his silver age costume so the pre-Zero Hour Legion will be recognized as well. The Phantom Girl appears to have the WaK symbol on her costume so my guess is that the WaK Legion is the third. In other words, all three versions of the Legion not only met and were inspired by one Superboy, but all three met each other as well.

#42093 11/08/08 04:08 PM
Honorary
Honorary
That panel is awesome. I'm going to color it in photoshop! Thanks for the TMK. I just assumed it was some other era separate from the 5YL stuff. It was so obvious I couldn't see it.

There is no better Super Hero group to have ever been in comics than the Legion of Super Heroes.
#42094 11/10/08 07:40 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Interesting panel. The Legionnaires look very juvenile in that image. Not even adolescent.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#42095 11/10/08 08:58 AM
K
Substitute
Substitute
K
Interesting panel. The Legionnaires look very juvenile in that image. Not even adolescent.
I'm chalking that up to artistic license. You can tell by the costumes when things are supposed to happen - Silver Age Lightning Lad has his robot arm, and the reboot Brainy has Koko on his shoulder, dating those two teams. And based on how they look vs how we know they looked, one could extrapolate that the threeboot Legionnaires have been similarly artistically de-aged.

#42096 11/10/08 10:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have a question that no one seems to be answering on the DC Boards. Can someone please tell me what happened to Aria Campbell, Gemini, or whatever name you'd like to use after the Timber Wolf miniseries?

#42097 11/11/08 12:37 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Nothing. She was presumably living with Brin until he was pulled back to the 30th century during the Jamm adventure, but she was never mentioned again.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#42098 11/11/08 12:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So that means she's probably still in the 21st Century? I smell potential. Thanks for clearing that up.

#42099 11/11/08 07:49 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by legionboy:
That panel is awesome. I'm going to color it in photoshop!
Can you post the color version here? That would be most appreciated!

#42100 11/12/08 09:46 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by legionboy:
That panel is awesome. I'm going to color it in photoshop! Thanks for the TMK. I just assumed it was some other era separate from the 5YL stuff. It was so obvious I couldn't see it.
Well, I usually differentiate 5YG/5YL from TMK because TMK considers just Legion of Super-Heroes v4 #1 to #38 (or #39). Whatever came after that is technically still 5YL, but hardly on the same level of TMK's era. In fact, I think it's almost a retcon, since characters suddenly became two-dimentional and dumb.

#42101 11/14/08 02:13 AM
Leader
Leader
As someone who missed Legion Lost, and The Legion, I have a couple of questions.

1. What would you guys recommend I go back and try to collect? Either one? Neither?

2. I read something on a board about Mekt/ Lightning Lord reforming--when did this happen?
Thanks!

Long Live all them Legions!
#42102 11/14/08 08:43 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
1. Everything DnA wrote for the Legion, beginning with the 'Legion of the Damned' arc in LSHv4 and Legionnaires, including Legion Lost and Legion Worlds and The Legion at least up until... what... maybe around #15 or so. It's still good after that, but on a lower level. DnA's last two issues (#31 and #32?) also give some nice closure to their run. The five issues of The Legion after that were fill-ins, but very good fill-ins; the four-issue Gail Simone arc that ended that series is one of my favourite Legion stories.

2. He reformed several times, actually: in the Five Years Later era he was at peace with himself and living happily with his boyfriend on Winath. In the reboot he reformed and also moved back to Winath, but was still a bit unstable. Never crossed back over the line, though. And in the animated series he quit Imperiex's service to save Ayla's life, and then turned himself in to the cops.

#42103 11/15/08 03:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Legion Lost is certainly worth checking out. Coipel's art took some getting used to for me, but every time I return to it, I like it better. The story was very dramatic, very sci fi and had lots of character development. Bad things happen to Element Lad and Saturn Girl (just warning you, if you want these characters to be inviolate). The Legion continued from Legion Lost; I'd agree with Matthew that the first half of the run was the best. IIRC, DnA were also cut off before they could complete their planned run, so things got a bit choppy and a lot of sub-plots were dangling or not well resolved. The Dream Crime arc was interesting for those who follow Saturn Girl's ups and downs, although it wasn't one of the better stories, IMO - but beautiful art from Chris Batista. There was also a Giffen one-shot issue that didn't go over too well with the fans for its portrayal of Chuck Taine.

BTW, Legion Worlds (6 issues) was also from the period during Legion Lost, covering events on Earth, Winath, Braal, Xanthu, Steeple and Rimbor - what some of the legionnaires were doing while the others were lost.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Page 12 of 55 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,076
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Mystery Lad
Mystery Lad
Knoxville, TN