Roll Call
0 members (), 32 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by razsolo - 05/07/24 01:29 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:35 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Person on the street" DC vs. Marvel!
#465643 05/27/07 05:18 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Let's try a thingie here...

Go up to a non-comics fan and rattle off a list of DC characters. Then rattle off a list of Marvel characters. See which company's characters is better known (i.e., the non-comics fan had at least heard of them).

I just tried this. DC won.

Characters I rattled off:

DC: Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League, Teen Titans, Flash, Green Lantern (all known). Isis (not known).

MARVEL: X-Men, Fantasic 4, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Elektra (all known). Iron Man, Avengers, Punisher (not known).

As far as relevant info re: known characters, more was known about the DC characters.

known X-MEN characters: Wolverine, Storm.

Try this with a patient acquaintence and see what they know!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Re: "Person on the street" DC vs. Marvel!
#465644 05/27/07 11:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I did this several years ago, before the Fantastic Four movies were released.

KNOWN

Marvel: Captain America, Hulk, X-men, Wolverine, Black Panther (not sure I believe them)

DC

Superman, Supergirl, Superboy, Batman, Robin, Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Flash, Aquaman, Justice League, Teen Titans, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Karate Kid (not sure they meant the comic one, but they volunteered it)

NOT KNOWN

Justice Society, LSH, Black Canary, Hawkman, Atom, Two-Face

Marvel: Thor, Fantastic Four (one person thought the FF were a singing group-- like the Supremes), Avengers (confused with British TV show), Iron Man

#465645 05/27/07 11:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It's also fun to bring up these names with someone who read comics as a little kid, but stopped around puberty.

Some of their accounts of stories they 'remember' can be pretty entertaining.

#465646 05/27/07 01:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I do this regularly when talking about new comic book day. What surprises me most is the cross-pollination of the big two. Seems everyone thinks Spider-Man is part of the Superfriends, and that Superman is Marvel's biggest hero.

Just spouting off.
#465647 05/27/07 03:00 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
DC has the distinct advantage of having three iconic characters who have been published constantly (except for when the characters have been rebooted) since the Golden Age, all of whom have had successful TV series and two of whom have had successful film franchises. They also have quite possibly the best-known super-hero themed cartoon series ever, The Super Friends.

Marvel has done well with movies in the last several years, but prior to that the 1960s Ralph Bakshi Spider-Man series and the 1970s Hulk series with Bill Bixby would probably be the best-known.
Add to that only Captain American and, to a lesser extent, the Sub-Mariner, are the only well-known characters they have from the Golden Age.

Having said that, as I pointed out elsewhere, whenever I mention Green Lantern to a non-comics-reading friend, the almost always think I mean Green Hornet. And, of course, mention the JSA or the Legion and people just look at you funny. sigh

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#465648 05/27/07 05:16 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I was especially surprised that this non-comics person knew that Green Lantern had "the ring". Maybe he had happened across an episode of Justice League at some point?

Was also surprised he hadn't heard of Marvel's the Punisher, as there's been, what, 2 movies (although maybe not big successful ones).

I threw Isis into the mix because a) She recently had a major turn in a best-selling comic and b) she had her own live-action series in the 70s. But she was a no-go for this person.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#465649 05/27/07 05:17 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Oh, and my person also confused The Avengers with the old TV show!

#465650 05/27/07 05:40 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Another one I used to get sometimes, though not recently, is when I mention the Flash, people often thought I was referring to Flash Gordon. Flash Gordon is not so familiar to many people these days, so I haven't had that one in a while.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#465651 05/30/07 12:34 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Another one I used to get sometimes, though not recently, is when I mention the Flash, people often thought I was referring to Flash Gordon. Flash Gordon is not so familiar to many people these days, so I haven't had that one in a while.
I prefer Flesh Gordon personally

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#465652 05/30/07 12:45 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Originally posted by Joeboy Harvestar:
I prefer Flesh Gordon personally
hug

#465653 05/30/07 08:34 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Joey is a cheeky little monkey wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#465654 05/30/07 09:23 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've tried this before with guys at work all around my age. 31. DC won but not by as much as I thought.

My cousin and his friends on the other hand (age 24) don't know squat about DC. I think it all started for Marvel with the Marvel vs. Capcom.

I am guessing in 5 years Marvel might catch up.

#465655 05/30/07 04:24 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
I've tried this before with guys at work all around my age. 31. DC won but not by as much as I thought.

My cousin and his friends on the other hand (age 24) don't know squat about DC. I think it all started for Marvel with the Marvel vs. Capcom.

I am guessing in 5 years Marvel might catch up.
Great point - b/t that and Maximum Carnage years ago, Marvel has two of the better video games in comic book history. In fact, I can't think of a video game by DC that can compete with Marvel's, or introduces so many characters.

(I'm not much of a gamer myself, but my brothers are big time into them).

#465656 06/03/08 02:16 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Hmmm... I would guess now that Iron Man would no longer fall into the "NOT KNOWN" camp for anyone....
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Iron Man, Avengers, Punisher (not known).

#465657 06/05/08 09:30 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I think a person on the street would definately say Marvel. Marvel has had like ten write-ups in the Wall Street Journal in the past three months. Marvel Studios is the most profitable studio in movies these days besides Pixar. Think about that for a second. They're like the Colbert Report of movies right now.

And you know what--they are better right now, quality wise. For the first time in about, well, fifteen years, I think that. Not that DC doesn't have some great books, they do, but Marvel just happens to have more right now. Vertigo, of course, isn't really DC (thank gawd).

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,180
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Suncat
Suncat
Minnesota, USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star