Roll Call
0 members (), 25 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Jfposey - 05/07/24 05:19 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 04:22 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Racists Totally Freak Out Over Muslim 'Batman of Paris'"
#466938 01/07/11 04:30 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Apparently, a number of right-wing, ignorant protestors had something to say over the fact that the Batman, Inc. representative for France is a Muslim.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/12/28/racists-batman-muslim-paris/1#comments

Re: "Racists Totally Freak Out Over Muslim 'Batman of Paris'"
#466939 01/07/11 08:23 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I suspect the involvement of iconic super-villains like Two-Face, Killer Croc and Glenn Beck!

#466940 01/07/11 08:28 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Yeah. I saw this a week or so ago on LJ.

shake

Maybe it would cheer the racists up to read the list of characters of color that DC has already erased from its universe over the last year or so. Along with Ian Sattler's sorry excuse about how that's totally okay because like we have green and blue and orange aliens in our stories, Guyzzz!

:rolleyes:

Excuse me. My desk and my head have an early appointment.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#466941 01/07/11 09:48 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Jeepers! These guys are totally missing the point of the story, which is the symbolism of the spread of American corporate power bringing peace and justice to all of the world!

#466942 01/07/11 10:31 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I can't wait until the issue where Bruce builds a bunch of McDonalds in Pakistan!

Batman: McWorld vs. Jihad!

#466943 01/07/11 11:25 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Jeepers! These guys are totally missing the point of the story, which is the symbolism of the spread of American corporate power bringing peace and justice to all of the world!
I wondered about that, too. Batman, Inc.? We don't need to fight terrorists. We'll just buy them out.

To the point of this thread, the Andy Khouri article makes several important points. A Muslim French hero is still a French hero in the same way that a Latino (or even a Muslim!) can be an American hero. And comics are the great equalizer when it comes to presenting the world's ills. Yes, they oversimplify matters to a degree, but they also remind us of the greater good to which all people aspire: anyone can be a hero.

As for Warner Todd Huston, he lost me when he called his detractors stupid.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#466944 01/07/11 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
You're bitter and cynical and mean. I like that in a bike-helmeted giant flightless bird.

love

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#466945 01/07/11 12:12 PM
[snip]

Originally posted by He Who LSHes:
...To the point of this thread, the Andy Khouri article makes several important points. A Muslim French hero is still a French hero in the same way that a Latino (or even a Muslim!) can be an American hero. And comics are the great equalizer when it comes to presenting the world's ills. Yes, they oversimplify matters to a degree, but they also remind us of the greater good to which all people aspire: anyone can be a hero.
When you're talking about the American brand of Right Wing twit, this argument won't pass muster. I went to a few pro-immigrant rallies back around the time that ICE raids were in the local and national news. I can't even begin to describe the inane and barely coherent gibbering let loose by the local variety of "real" American because a lot of marchers carried --gasp!-- U.S. FLAGS with them at the rally. Why, those filthy, dreadful brown people! What were they doing carrying OUR FLAG?!11

As for Warner Todd Huston, he lost me when he called his detractors stupid.
Yes, the correct procedure is to thank your detractors for their opinions and then to call their opinions stupid.

tease

<span style="font-size: 11px;">I have been at this internet/politics thing wayyyyyyyy to damn long...

Somebody really should bring me a beer. Or several beers.</span>

#466946 01/07/11 12:42 PM
I'm not trying to argue with bigots. I'm just restating something that Khouri already said and which should be obvious, but which perhaps needs to be restated for those who may be swayed by Huston's pseudo-rational arguments.

Can't help with the beer, but I do have some mocha-flavored coffee handy. smile

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#466947 01/07/11 05:11 PM
[whine]
It's not the saaaaaaame.
[/whine]

#466948 01/07/11 05:41 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
After further thought, clearly the only way to make this character acceptable is to introduce a supporting cast of more traditional French characters, such as Ze Poodleman and Mademoiselle Underarm Hair!

#466949 01/07/11 05:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
... or the theatrically stereotypical Crimson Fox!

#466950 01/07/11 05:51 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by cleome:
[snip]

Originally posted by He Who LSHes:
[qb] ...To the point of this thread, the Andy Khouri article makes several important points. A Muslim French hero is still a French hero in the same way that a Latino (or even a Muslim!) can be an American hero. And comics are the great equalizer when it comes to presenting the world's ills. Yes, they oversimplify matters to a degree, but they also remind us of the greater good to which all people aspire: anyone can be a hero.
When you're talking about the American brand of Right Wing twit, this argument won't pass muster. I went to a few pro-immigrant rallies back around the time that ICE raids were in the local and national news. I can't even begin to describe the inane and barely coherent gibbering let loose by the local variety of "real" American because a lot of marchers carried --gasp!-- U.S. FLAGS with them at the rally. Why, those filthy, dreadful brown people! What were they doing carrying OUR FLAG?!11
I always find this really peculiar when people are talking about immigrants taking their construction jobs or what not. (btw no one complains about 'them' taking our jobs working in the fields ... and as someone who has worked in those fields .... it sucks.)

how do they know 'they're' immigrants? much less illegal? cause they're brown? have they researched their birth certificates or work documents.

no. they haven't.

and all subsequent arguments they might attempt ... are groundless.

#466951 01/08/11 05:22 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I hope everyone involved with this Nightrunner character gave themselves a pat on the back because I think he's awesome. It's a shame he's gonna end up being cannon fodder for the next big universal crisis (or whenever they decide to destroy Batman Inc to make Bruce a GRIM DARK AVENGER OF THE NIGHT again), but he's a great character! smile

#466952 01/08/11 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Power Boy:
I always find this really peculiar when people are talking about immigrants taking their construction jobs or what not. (btw no one complains about 'them' taking our jobs working in the fields ... and as someone who has worked in those fields .... it sucks.)
Oh, come now. If we keep letting the evil cross-border transgressors pick our veggies, what kind of work will we have left for convicts and for those local juveniles who get tossed into those "boot camps"?

how do they know 'they're' immigrants? much less illegal? cause they're brown? have they researched their birth certificates or work documents.
You can always tell an immigrant. It's anyone who doesn't look like me, doncha' know. That's why we need a National I.D. card, because there isn't enough racial profiling going on as it is.

no. they haven't.
Researching would entail time and energy and using your head. Which is totally for losers who hate Old Glory. poke

#466953 01/08/11 04:33 PM
[snip]
Originally posted by razsolo:
I hope everyone involved with this Nightrunner character gave themselves a pat on the back because I think he's awesome. It's a shame he's gonna end up being cannon fodder for the next big universal crisis...
But we'll always have [gigantic yawn] Hal Jordan.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,196
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Frog King
Frog King
Berlin
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star