Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 27 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:39 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:35 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/06/24 09:13 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/06/24 05:06 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dev's Ambush Bug Archive
#467586 02/20/11 04:04 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here we start a quick issue by issue (the main appearances anywho) of Ambush Bug. I'm in the middle of getting something together and am looking through several comics and thought it'd be fun to review the appearances that I have...which is pretty much all of them.

First up:

click to enlarge

DC Comics Presents #52 (Superman and The New Doom Patrol)

Standard team up story between Superman and The New Doom Patrol.

Recap:
Negative Woman's power is apparently out of control, and Superman encounters her at a power plant. She takes off before Superman has any real idea what is going on.

Later, the D.A. is murdered on television by none other than Ambush Bug. A new villian trying to make a name for himself.

Both Ambush Bug and Negative Woman then start running around a parade that is happening in Metropolis. Superman is knocked for a loop by Negative Woman and is found by Tempest and Celsius. Ambush Bug then attacks Superman and makes him think he is in league with the them and pops away. Leaving them at the mercy of a ticked off Superman.

Robotman sets things straight and they go after Negative Woman and Ambush Bug. She's brought back together with her body and Ambush Bug is captured and put in jail.

Opinion:

Definately strange to go back and reread this now. Ambush Bug has become such a fun character, it's hard to remember that he started as a one off villian of the month here. In fact, by his next appearance, he is pretty much the bug we know today.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Re: Dev's Ambush Bug Archive
#467587 02/20/11 04:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
THE THREAD TO END ALL THREADS!!!!! Expect my full participation....

>scurries off to fetch issue for a re-read before commenting further<

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#467588 02/20/11 04:26 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

DC Comics Presents # 59 (Superman and the Legion of Substitute Heroes)

Anything but average...

Recap:

Ambush Bug breaks out of prison and tries to get Supermans attention. But he is on his way to the future somewhere beyond the Legions time, so he tries to dump Ambush Bug off on Legion of Super Heroes, but they're not home...so guess where the Bug ends up?

Why Superman could not have just taken him back to the past is beyond me, but swhy argue with kismit...or Giffen in this case.

He takes him to the Subs headquarters and put's him in their security call, which of course was broken, but Polar Boy didn't want to admit that to Superman...so now the hijinks occur with the Subs and Supes chasing the Bug through 2983 Metropolis.

Side note: his reaction to Double Header is great!

Buggy ends up in the Phantom Zone until Supes can gather up all his bugs and take him back to the present safely.

Opinion:

While Ambush Bug is still constricted to using his bugs to teleport here, he is much more the madcap character we know and love (at least some of us do.)

Buggy is in good form here and his real adventures are just getting started.

#467589 02/20/11 04:29 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MLLASH:
THE THREAD TO END ALL THREADS!!!!! Expect my full participation....

Oh, I expected nothing else from you. smile

#467590 02/20/11 04:43 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Supergirl #16

Um, okaaaaay...

Recap:

Paul Kupperberg writes the third appearance of the Bug. To be fair, he wrote the first appearance with art by Giffen.

Ambush Bug breaks out of his prison transport, and has decided to become a hero in Chicago of all places. he starts with taking out such criminals as a litterer, a guy smoking near a no-smoking sign, etc...

Supergirl, whom he thinks is Superman affected by something like red kryptonite or something, finally takes care of him and he is off to jail yet again.

Opinion:

Not the Bugs finest hour. While Kupperberg does okay writing him, the Infantino art (and before anyone says anything...I love Carmine's art for whatever reason) just does not make reading this tale any easier. he's just not cut out for the Bug like Giffen is.

#467591 02/20/11 04:54 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Action Comics #560

...and away we go.

Recap:

Ambush Bug gets out of Arkham and sets up shop in Metropolis as a Private Investigator. He figures out Clarks secret, or does he...is it all a dream Clark is having, the ending seems to indicate that it isn't.

Opinion:

To be honest, this issue was my first exposure to Ambush Bug all those years ago, and the sight of him laughing hysterically at Superman/Clarks secret identity ws enough to make me a fan for life.

Buggy also breaks the fourth wall here for the first time and refers to Giffen in the last panel...showing that he is aware who his writer is.

This is the Ambush Bug that I love. Random, funny and out to annoy the hell out of Superman.

#467592 02/20/11 05:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
DC COMICS PRESENTS # 52

I often forget to mention (or have reason to mention) how much I enjoyed Kupperberg's DOOM PATROL. Also, this issue features top-notch Keith Giffen art!

DON'T PULL ON SUPERMAN'S CAPE DEPT.

Also, don't waste your time trying to defeat him by throwing ice-cubes at him. Celsius learns that doesn't work well.

JIMMY OLSEN'S OPINION OF CONDOMS DEPT.

"Man, if I never see another piece of latex rubber again, it'll be too soon!" Take a dip in the danger zone, Jimmy!

MVW (most Valuable Word) OF THE ISSUE

"Blooie"

OMENS AND PORTENTS

It is obvious on the final page that Ambush Bug is going to be making a return appearance fairly quickly. I suspect Kupperberg quite enjoyed using him.

Also of note, a radical change to the character of Negative Woman takes place this issue, and she truly never is the same again.

TEE-HEE METER

There's a bit of slapstick, but not what you might expect. Mainly, this issue will want to be owned by the Ambush Bug fan for its historical first appearance of our favorite bug (including an ultra-rare out of costume appearance!!).

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#467593 02/20/11 05:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Dev Em:
[b]THE THREAD TO END ALL THREADS!!!!! Expect my full participation....

Oh, I expected nothing else from you. smile [/b]
>gasp!< I won't be able to match your pace, though! You are cooking with GAS here! Go Dev GO!

#467594 02/20/11 05:11 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Action Comics #565

Bwahahahahaha...how can you not love this stuff?

Recap:

Peabody, Dicker and Pending are ready to present an advertising campaign or two for Ambush Bugs own series. Ambush Bug however is out trying to get guest stars for his first issue.

He hits up Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. he brings up several of Supermans less than illustrious adventures, pops into the Batcave onto the giant pennycausing it to crash to the ground, and as Ms. Suffrin Sappho Iin full drag no less) to Wonder Woman.

We are also treated to two seperate 1st issue fake covers...and the first reference to Jerry Mathers as the Cleaver. he then decides to visist the Titans when his Guardian Angel informs him that team books sell.

Opinion:

One of the best uses of 8 pages ever...and taking into account that there are two full page cover mock ups...that's saying a lot. More laughs here than in just about most other series complete runs.

#467595 02/20/11 05:14 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Dev Em:
[b]
[b]THE THREAD TO END ALL THREADS!!!!! Expect my full participation....

Oh, I expected nothing else from you. smile [/b]
>gasp!< I won't be able to match your pace, though! You are cooking with GAS here! Go Dev GO![/b]
Go at your own pace Lashie...I'll be going back to these all agoain for further comments. I just am in the mood to do some quick recaps and have some fun along the way. Have not smiled this much in a while.

#467596 02/20/11 05:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm in love with this thread. Will it marry me?!?!?

#467597 02/20/11 06:03 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Action Comics #563

Bwa to the haha

Recap:

Pretty much all about getting young Irwin to teleport without his little flying bugs thingies...with a lot of laughs along the way. Oh yeah, his suit turns black (heh) in the explosion and he ends up in a polka dotted horse outfit the rest of the story.

Best three panel joke ever....

click to enlarge

Opinion:

I love this story...so many fun things in it. Including Bethany Snow saying that she is only there to get Titans completists to buy the comic.

#467598 02/20/11 06:06 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I'm in love with this thread. Will it marry me?!?!?
If you take it out to dinner a few times and buy it a nice ring...it just might.

#467599 02/20/11 06:23 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

DC Comics Presents #81

ZOMG! One of the funnirst comics of all time.

Recap:

While golfing, our hero (Ambush Bug) finds a golf ball size chunk of Red K, has it turned into a piece of jewelry to give to his bestest buddie Superman. They promptly switch bodies and hilarity and massive property damage insues. Oh yeah, Kobra is around as well. To top it off, Superman also laughs as well.

Opinion:

This is a totally awesome appearance by the bug. I love Giffens art here as well. It's stylized, not as much as it would become over time, but he's been shifting since the beginning of the Acton appearances with the Bug, and has found a groove here that works. The best thing is...THE MINI SERIES IS NEXT!!!!

#467600 02/20/11 09:00 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Ambush Bug #1

Great God Almighty...Buggy got a mini of his own!!!

Recap:

Four Words!!! Cheeks the Toy Wonder!!!!

Cheeks comes into our Heroes life...and exits just as quickly because despite the warning on his tag, Buggy left him to disable the bomb. We also learn that our hero is a Boll Weevil...which strikes fear into the villains. Plus an alien invasion.

Opinion:

What can I say about this comic. The cover is a great homage to Superman. Cheeks the freakin Toy Wonder. Fake Ads. All of this and Darkseid!!!!!

But seriously...this is an awesome read...it's fun, it does not take itself seriously, and pokes fun at everything.

#467601 02/20/11 09:18 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Ambush Bug #2

I was so amazed that this series actually got made, let alone made it to its second issue...thank God for small favors.

Recap:

Jonni DC, Continuity Cop is introduced.

(As an aside, Sarky should note that there is a Rima Jungle Girl comic on semi display on page one of this comic.)

click to enlarge

Quantis (Nik Nak) The Koala who walks like a man is the main threat in this issue.

Julie Schwartz starts interacting with the characters. Thank God he had a great sense of humor about everything that these guys did...

Opinion:

This stuff just keeps getting better and better. My love for the Bug grows more every time I sit down and read these books. I love laughing out loud at comics...we do not get enough of that these days.

#467602 02/20/11 09:39 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge
Ambush Bug #3

The Ambush Bug History of the DC Universe...this I gotta read.

Recap:

We get soooo much this issue:

Recaps on who the following characters are:Egg-Fu, Wonder Tot, Super Turtle, Quisp, Krypto, Streaky (Krypto and Streayky get their own theme songs as well), Beppo, Comet, Cheeks (choke) and Itty,

We find out "Whatever happened to Binky?"

We get a Hembeck style look at Buggy.

The Green Team makes a guest shot.

Bat Mite show up.

A rousing round of Science Sez.

We see versions of Ambush Bug around the world.

We learn how to draw Ambush Bug.

We see Buggy drawn by different artists. (not really, but it's a good joke page.

Fake ads. Including a 50 foot inflatable Proty.

We see Cryll and Mr. Doodle Duck.

Cain and the House of Mystery are here too.

The Inferior Five with a ticked off Merry Man.

Catch up with Ace the Bat Hound and Julius Schwartz (you just know he really dug what these guys were doing here.)

We learn how to use a 9 panel grid...seriously...

Mopee stops by for a page.

Bizarro World is referenced.

Glop and Johnny DC get updates.

and finally, Darkseid again. He's been on the last page of all three issues so far...what gives Giffen?

Opinion:

All this for 75 cents...run to a local comic store and demand your copy today!!! I mean seriously people...more laughs than the entire run of Daredevil in one issue.

#467603 02/20/11 09:52 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Ambush Bug #4

The Return of Scabbard...from Thriller (no, not the video, the comic...oh never mind.)

Recap:

Scabbard returns to life and sets out for revenge, only to realize halfway through the book that he is in the wrong book and leaves. This throws the book into another round of one page gags and ads.

We also get the origin of Argh! Yle. You have to see it to understand.

Opinion:

Not as strong as the other three issues, but still more laughs than Batman has had since the Dark Knight returns.

Plus, how can you go wrong with a pin up shot of Starfire (Kory, not the guy from the Titans...that's be wrong... wink

#467604 02/20/11 10:43 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer #1

Oh, How I wish this would have been one of many annual specials.

Recap:

Buggy goes on vacation and figures out 1,001 uses for a dead Hukka.

The usual assortment of jokes gags and one page mock ups. Actually quite a few, since they had to fill up a double sized comic here.

Plus Cheeks comes back as a zombie...really. Then Buggy gets a new Cheeks, so everyone's happy.

Opinion:

Love that the guys are not afraid to poke fun at anything at DC.

Another fun issue from the gang, and being double sized, there is a lot to digest here as well.

#467605 02/21/11 02:32 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Son of Ambush Bug #1

The Bug is back...and this time for 6 issues!!!

Recap:

After killing Darkseid at the end of his last mini series (alright, he just deflated a Darkseid blow up doll...which is a really sick and twisted thing to think up in the first place), he has been blacklisted from the super villian community. Basically, nobody will work with him.

We then get a twisted puppet show for Cheeks to watch.

A mock up Mitshu Bishi cover, and story with it's own choose your own hollywood ending. Giving us 5 choices by the likes of Woody Allen, Stallone, Lucas, and DePalma.

"Anthiny Tollin exposed!" Not that way you nasty people.

Amber Butane of the Amber Butane Corps shows up for a gag...and a quick story.

There's some stampeding elephants.

Cheeks goes missing.

Combat Cheeks...who is unfortunately a medic.

Opinion:

The bug is back and the DCU's in trouble.

#467606 02/21/11 02:40 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Son of Ambush Bug #2

From the cover...this does not look good for the Bug.

Recap:

Buggy gets exploded. Twice. Same gag, twice.

He ends up uin Hell...or at least a stand up comeny club.

Combat Cheeks: Frontline Medic. Not good...

Ambush Bug leaves Hell through the the exit door.

Argh! Yle returns, and gets a Who's Who page.

There's also a joke about a Booster Gold button in there too.

Opinion:

Still good stuff coming from the gang, but not quite as Bwahahaha as some of his outings.

#467607 02/21/11 02:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#3 of the original is the only one I've never found.

Are you going to do the Mayfair games module. That was really awesome as well. "Bah".

#467608 02/21/11 02:53 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Son of Ambush Bug #3

Great cover homage to the Flash of Two Worlds story

Recap:

Bug looses his suit.

The Cleaver commits Hari Kari.

The Answer Man gets made fun of.

The Uh Oh squad has all killed themselves because they all killed Ambush Bug. Yeah...that's the plot so far.

Little Jim of the E.L.F. appears.

Something else elses wrong with Buggy's costume.

Another episode of Combat Cheeks: Frontline Medic. This time...Hiroshima. Seriously.

Some more bizarre things happen...

Opinion:

Series is really bizarre at this point. Not sure I remember everything from the first several times I read it.

#467609 02/21/11 02:54 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
#3 of the original is the only one I've never found.

Are you going to do the Mayfair games module. That was really awesome as well. "Bah".
I will get to that. I picked that up several years ago finally. Took a long time to finally get a copy of it though.

#467610 02/21/11 03:07 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Son of Ambush Bug #4

Home of the single best gag ever! Although a lot of people probably just went..."Huh?"

Recap:

Alright, the plot of Buggy's evil costume (heh) moves forward.

There's a Pac Man gag.

Combat Cheeks and the Front Line Medics. Yep, they're all dolls.

A Conan rip off cover.

...and the single best one panel gag they did, ever.

click to enlarge

Opinion:

This comic could be a load of crap, which it isn't, but the one gag makes this whole thing worth it for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,174
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Eishuu
Eishuu
Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star