Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:33 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20
Justice Society of America (spoilers!)
#468738 12/05/06 12:00 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
As extracted from DC Comics Message Board - certainly have at least two Legion connections there - Hmmm here it comes:

Speculate away! <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">-World War III. Just a Splash Page with no real clues to 52.
-Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman ask Wildcat, Green Lantern and Flash to start up the Justice Society; “The Justice League is a Strike Force. The Justice Society is a family”.
-Mr. America gives us his origin in his thoughts.
-Mr. America’s wife and two sons are killed.
-Flash and Green Lantern are picking the new team. Wildcat wants no part of that as He does not feel that he is the Society's moral compass
-Damage fights Rebel in Philly and takes out a police car while doing it. In the background that appears to read “Wacker 52% off. Going out of business”. Damage partially blocks the sign but you can still make out most of it.
-Hourman and Liberty Bell ask Damage to join the Society. When asked what they can offer him, they tell the police to bill the Society for the car.
-Mr. America finds and beats up Catalyst.
-Ma Hunkel’s granddaughter is offered a position on the Society. Maxine is a jabber jaw.
-Starman saves a helicopter from crashing and then flies back to a mental hospital.
-Stargirl and Dr. Midnight arrive at the hospital to offer Starman a position on the team and to hopefully help him sort out the “voices in his head”.
-“There’s a star on Thangar. I dreamt about it. HA! 52!”
-Starman
-Mr. America gets beaten up and thrown through the roof of the Society’s headquarters
And lands on the conference table where most of the team is getting ready to meet.
-Flash and Green Lantern show Wildcat they claim is his son.

Coming this year in Justice Society of America; four panels

-Batman is outside of Arkham Asylum with some of the Society.
Batman “What else did you see Sandman”?
Sandman “I saw you, Batman. Torn to shreds inside those walls”
-This appears to be Dawnstar’s right arm with Legion ring. “I have to go. I have to track down Starman”.
-Powergirl at Kal-L’s grave with an arm coming up from the grave.
-Kingdom Come Superman “It never ends for people like us”. </span></span>

Re: Justice Society of America (spoilers!)
#468739 12/05/06 12:04 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
whew made sure that it 's well hidden inside the spoilers box.

I am sure that there is someone will run and let a certain winged fan favorite know that he needs to buy JSA #1. smile

#468740 12/05/06 12:36 AM
Active
Active
From the press release:
But just as the Society welcomes the rookies into their ranks, an evil force sets out to destroy them. Meet new legacies, solve a mystery stretching into the far future, witness the return of the world's greatest hero, and watch another one fall - all in the pages of this fantastic new series!

I also have a 6 page preview .

I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure
#468741 12/05/06 07:55 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I wanted to avoid spoilers but do they explain why Damage now appears to have a biohazard symbol on his chest?

#468742 12/05/06 11:22 AM
Substitute
Substitute
i can't wait until this issue arrives in the mail for me! laugh

but i couldn't wait and read the spoilers on the DC message board(which really didn't spoil anything major).

and as to the changes to Damage's costume, didn't Alex Ross redesign/design a lot of the costumes on this relaunch? smile

#468743 12/05/06 01:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Check out Geoff Johns message board for behind the scenes scandals! Fans are outraged by a variety of interpretations of something Alex Ross said in an interview, sparking 2 or 3 threads of debate and even a report being filed to GLAAD! You just can't buy free publicity like that! wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#468744 12/05/06 09:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Check out Geoff Johns message board for behind the scenes scandals! Fans are outraged by a variety of interpretations of something Alex Ross said in an interview, sparking 2 or 3 threads of debate and even a report being filed to GLAAD! You just can't buy free publicity like that! wink
I must be missing some backstory here. How by any stretch can that Alex Ross quote be interpreted as "anti-gay" or even as referencing sexual identity?

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/002614557.cfm

http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39803

#468745 12/05/06 09:56 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I would say it was the use of the phrase "get molested further". I would say that the poster on the blog is jumping the gun to describe it as thinly veiled homophobia. I think that the word "molested" is what does it. Because many people who are anti-gay make the claim that gay people molest children and/or were molested as children. I suspect that if Alex Ross had instead said "been written badly" there would be no controversy.

One way that this could be taken is that Obsidian being openly gay in Manhunter is how the character has been "molested".

Personally, I would say that making Obsidian crazy and a villian was how the character had been "molested".

I would say that Alex Ross does need to clarify his statement.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#468746 12/05/06 09:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Andreyko the writer of Manhunter is gay. The implication is that a gay writer is 'molesting' a 'straight' character by making him gay and having him come out in that book.

#468747 12/06/06 09:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Personally I think Alex Ross needs to get over himself. If half of what I have heard about him is true, you'd think he was the New God of Comics. I do like his art, but it's far from being a favorite of mine.

Personally, I would rather have someone else doing covers for JSA. His covers that I've seen so far, while cool, look more like posters than covers.

In any case, whether or not I like this title will have nothing to do with him.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#468748 12/06/06 01:21 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
If half of what I have heard about him (Ross) is true,...
Actually, comments like that tend to put me off more than what Ross is quoted as having said (again, this is me not being clear on the context). Those are the kind of words used to start witchhunts based upon presumption and supposition. Is this what that poster "joey" is doing. Does this poster perhaps have dislike for Ross based upon things he's "heard" or is there real reason to believe Ross has an agenda here? Doesn't supposition fairly get applied to accused and accuser?

In short, Ross' comments are being taken as objecting to the character being changed to "gay," correct? Is this a wide response or just that of a few overactive message boarders?

I took the comment to mean that in Ross' opinion, Johns would take good care of and be true to the character. Isn't that something fans usually want?

Regardless Ross mind, I think the OP of that post is off the deep end. A mature someone with honest concern with the intent of Ross' comments I think would ask for clarification before organizing a witchhunt.

However it settles, I agree with Spellbinder. This constructed controversy can only benefit the book, I'd be more likely to pick it up just to be part of the discussion than I would to boycot. Also, liking the title wouldn't have so much to do with the covers if the inside is crap and poster type covers wear thin on me after awhile.

#468749 12/06/06 02:14 PM
Active
Active
To be honest I have not followed Obsidian for years but in the original Infinity Inc. I felt the character was created gay. Actually more sexually unsure, just as he was unsure about his origins, his place within a team, and his place within society.

I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure
#468750 12/06/06 03:38 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Okay, I just read this comic book. And it was good. But never mind that.

I want to know what is the deal with Starman and I particularly want to know what is the deal with Dawnstar. What are you doing to continuity, DC? I mean, always nice to see Dawny, but it makes me uneasy when things get screwed around with like this. Should there be a thread for this in the SLOSH forum?

#468751 12/06/06 03:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, I don't think it warrants a new thread. But, a mention in this topic may be in order. smile

#468752 12/06/06 03:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh darn, now I'll have to go look, but they'll probably be out by time I get there....

drat, should have had it pulled.

#468753 12/06/06 07:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
i can't wait to pick up this issue [ tomorrow lunch time !! ]

the artwork by DALE looks great, from what i've seen !! that page with HOURMAN and LIBERTY BELLE is great, they both look really sexy !!

Matthew.

#468754 12/06/06 10:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well it was a pretty good issue. I'm still not getting that there is in this book a big enough change in tone to justify ending the previous volume and starting again for creative reasons. Marketing reasons and symmettry with the JL of A title are valid enough.

Sounds like we're going to see an alternate version of the future of the 31st century. Not unlike what I had in mind in the Legion 50th aniversary thread.

There was a surprise reappearance of a dangling plot-thread from the previous JSA series.

Maxine Hunkel could just be the most annoying character in a while. Also Jessie and Rick are cute if a little nauseating with the public displays of affection. Curse those newlyweds.

#468755 12/07/06 09:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Surprised no one seems to have mentioned Starmans answer to the docs question of whether he has taken his pills

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> he says "All Four Colours. Colour Kids and Polar boys" </span></span>

That together with <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Dawnstars arm as a teaser for "Comming this year"</span></span>

Seems to be as good a hint as we are ever likly to get that this starboy

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Is our Thom (or at least a Thom from an alternative future) member of the Legion</span></span>

I'm going to be curious to see how this pans out.

Faithfull
#468756 12/07/06 01:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This was awesome. Love the Red Tornado girl...is she hot or what. Nice to see her college aged...sure she is just a freshman at harvard...still a teen. I love her.

Love the entire book. Thought the JSA needed to get younger and they did. Damage!

And yes I'm real interested in this Starman. Certainly has Legion connections. Is Waid's Legion the All Star Legion and we don't know it?

#468757 12/07/06 01:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
I'm still not getting that there is in this book a big enough change in tone to justify ending the previous volume and starting again for creative reasons.
I agree, but what little bit of the previous JSA I read was good, and this reboot(?) restart(?) looks to be just as good.

I've completely given up any attempt to rationalize the DC universe or continuity among characters within a given title or between titles.

Just show me pretty pictures with snappy dialog and I'll keep buying.

But, by God, if every other dead hero in the universe can return, I want Barry Allen back.

#468758 12/07/06 02:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Its Wednesday! Love the little in joke, love all the new characters like Cyclone and Starman and this dark version of Grant. Love Hourman and Liberty Belle too. It was a great first read.

And Dale did a great job on the art. Love the new meeting room and stuff. I want more Mr America! I want more legacies! I love all this stuff. I love the Legion connections!

Sorry, a lit bit enthused here, first time in awhile I have been this happy with a read.

#468759 12/07/06 06:07 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah, it was an enjoyable read. Looks l9ike Wildcat is in for a wee bit of a surprise twist in his life. Should be interesting to see how that plays out. I suspect there are going to be some fireworks there laugh

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#468760 12/07/06 11:53 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
still no words from Greybird? does he know about this yet? laugh

I would love to see his reaction...when he gets JSA #1 final page. Beautiful page!!

#468761 12/08/06 08:21 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I really like this relauch. I especially like the added emphasis on the three founders. Of the characters introduced in #1, I find myself not caring much about Hourman and Liberty Bell. I'm not familiar with Jesse, but Hourman seems different than the one we've seen here before -- is this was he was like when he first appeared? The scene between Hourman and Damage reminded me of the Blue and Gold League (as does Starman's rantings to a degree). Interesting that Damage's emblem changed halfway through the issue (did it just take Eaglesham awhile to get the hang of the symbol?).

#468762 12/08/06 08:26 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Interesting that Damage's emblem changed halfway through the issue (did it just take Eaglesham awhile to get the hang of the symbol?).
Did it really? I'll have to go back and look because I didn't notice that.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,249
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kent Shakespeare
Kent Shakespeare
Hudson Valley
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star