Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:51 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/01/24 03:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 05/01/24 03:08 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Set - 05/01/24 12:17 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
#470893 06/28/12 05:53 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
A little better than last outing, and I'll have to give it a closer re-reading, but I didn't find this volume measured up to past volumes (I'd consider Black Dossier a part of this volume, especially with how heavily it's referenced in 2009). There was a lot to like, from the Harry Potter/Mary Poppins stuff, to a lot of the posters, and the bit with Roger Moore and Daniel Craig, but plot-wise it just didn't do anything. Possibly because the remaining cast are my least favourite of the series (I've never liked Alan or Orlando, and Mina's grown stale for me). Yes it's still fun to grab the references, but it's just not as fresh or engaging as Vol. 1 & 2 were. Hopefully if/when they come back to it, they'll shake things up a bit.

#470894 06/28/12 08:18 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
One thing I've always hoped was in the wings was the League teaming up with Sherlock Holmes...who faked his own death. It seemed like the hints were there all along, or maybe I just read into it, that this was going to happen. Thus, he'd have died and "come back" a second time.

Haven't read 2009 yet, but can't wait!

#470895 08/10/12 08:10 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
A little better than last outing, and I'll have to give it a closer re-reading, but I didn't find this volume measured up to past volumes...
That about sums it up for me too. I did like it, and am certainly glad I bought it, but perhaps I was expecting just a bit more.

The Harry Potter stuff was great, as was the Mary Poppins bit. The James Bond references were also pretty great--both the overt ones and the subtle ones.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">One thing I really didn't particularly like was Alan's death, and the way he basically took toxic piss in the face. That kind of seemed a bit too much. I know Moore was at this point being totally over the top and hitting us over the head with a hammer about what he was saying about the modern era's obsession with sex and the like, but it still felt like a pretty awful way for Alan to die.</span></span>

I liked Orlando here more than usual, and this took a few steps to redeem the character for me. He/she isn't my favorite.

#470896 09/04/12 07:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

#470897 09/04/12 04:15 PM
in hiding
in hiding
This would have been a lot more readable if all the apostrophes didn't display as question marks on my computer

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
#470898 09/05/12 07:39 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by the Hermit:
This would have been a lot more readable if all the apostrophes didn't display as question marks on my computer [/b]
Here's the copy text:

It's 1925, fifteen long years since Janni Dakkar first tried to escape the legacy of her science-pirate father, only to eventually take on his mantle and accept her destiny as the new Nemo; the next captain of the legendary Nautilus. A thirty year-old Pirate Jenny, tired of punishing the world with an unending spree of plunder and destruction, is resolved to finally step from her forebear's lengthy shadow by attempting something at which he'd conspicuously failed, namely the exploration of Antarctica. In 1895 her father had returned from that ice-crusted continent without his reason or his crewmen, all of whom appeared to have mysteriously perished or to otherwise have disappeared. Now Captain Nemo's daughter and successor plans to take her feared and celebrated black submersible back to the world's South Pole in an attempt to lay her sire's intimidating ghost forever.

There are others, though, who have become as tired of Janni's freebooting as she herself. An influential publishing tycoon, embarrassed by the theft of valuables belonging to a visiting Ugandan monarch, sets a trio of America's most lauded technological adventurers on the pirate queen's trail, commencing a nightmarish chase across the frozen landscape with the pinnacles of the forbidding mountains where Prince Dakkar's sanity had foundered growing ever nearer?

In a fast-paced, self-contained adventure, Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill thrillingly expand on one of Century's most memorable characters, venturing into dazzling polar territories and fictional domains including those of Edgar Allen Poe and H. P. Lovecraft, with all of these vectors headed for an unforgettable encounter at the living, beating and appallingly inhuman HEART OF ICE.

Hardcover, 48 pages, £9.99. Due February 2013

#470899 09/05/12 08:37 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Nemo meets at the Mountains of Madness, perhaps with a touch of Apocalypse Now?

Neat.

But did the writer really mean to suggest that Nemo Jr. wanted to "lay her sire's intimidating ghost forever?"

Or perhaps 'lay her sire's intimidating ghost to rest forever?' smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Lightning Lad #766636 03/28/13 10:26 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Heart of Ice was a nice little one-off. I liked the idea of marrying the "Thing" to the Lovecraft Mythos. I also liked the use of an amoral Citizen Kane as the villain. Not sure what Moore's setting up with the marriage in the backpages, but it looks like there is a gameplan.

Lightning Lad #766659 03/28/13 04:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I thought it was a fantastic little story. Filled with all the things that make LoEG great and a thrilling pulp adventure to boot. I thought this was better than all the Century stories, actually (which I enjoyed). The art & colors really popped--fantastic for a story in this era.

I'm looking forwarding to finding out all the references I missed, as always. Can someone tell me what I feel is an obvious one? Who was the African Queen?

Also, really loved the prose piece in the back!

Lightning Lad #766699 03/28/13 07:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Much is explained in Jess Nevin's annotations. Always helpful, although there doesn't seem to be a reference to the African Queen.

I haven't gotten the Nemo volume yet, but expect to be both enchanted and confused.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Lightning Lad #1020191 11/08/22 09:42 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
BUMP

bump

Re-read Century 1910 and Century 1969 this morning, as a tribute to the recently deceased Kevin O'Neill.

1910 was better than I remembered, and 1969, which I've liked from the first read, now stands revealed as a masterpiece. I can sort of understand the indifferent and/or confused reactions to 1969, but for a Brit-phile like myself, it's manna from heaven (which may be a strange analogy for a story so steeped in deviltry, but whatevs.)

Going to read 2009 next, and maybe the early LOEG stuff, too. I dislike all the Post-Century LOEG stuff, especially Tempest, that one I fucking hate.

EDIT: Just finished Century 2009. Awesome! I wish the LOEG saga had ended there, even if it would have left loose ends.

Last edited by Ann Hebistand; 11/08/22 11:18 AM.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,047
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
kidflash2fan
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
COMPUTO Jr.
COMPUTO Jr.
Remnants of father's labratory
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star