Roll Call
0 members (), 18 Murran Spies, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/26/24 06:57 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:51 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/25/24 08:03 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Re: Wonder Woman
Caliente #916828 11/23/16 03:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
God bless Greg Rucka for this issue.

The Nu52 Amazons are finally revealed to be impostors created to confuse Diana. I know people on here like Azzarello's run, and I'm sorry that the run you honestly enjoyed was just retconned as being an ongoing lie. And even though I loathe retcons, I just, there was that one panel that summarized why I refused to have anything to do with the New 52 Wonder Woman. That panel where that one Amazon threatens Steve Trevor that if he wanders off again, the other Amazons will want to "share" him with Diana. That was a rape threat. No matter how anyone tries to convince me that Azzarello's run had its merit, its foundation is built on Diana coming from a culture of unapologetic rapists. Because God knows we can't have an all female society without something "dramatic" like that. I was ashamed at the idea of ever showing my best friend, a professor of home economics and feminist theory, any of the Nu52 Wonder Woman, and the fact that she died just before DC finally started to fix that is something I will never stop being angry about.

Caliente #916830 11/23/16 04:14 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Very well said, Sarky. I disapproved of Azzarello's WW run from the start, for the same reasons as you. To hell with "historical accuracy" or whatever Azzarello's lame excuse was. The utopian WW version of the Amazons, with Paradise Island and whatnot, may have its corny aspects, and may be too good to be true, but Nu52 WW is nothing more than going to the other extreme, and as such, an abomination.

I also wanted to belatedly thank you, Sarky, for helping me realize what a total piece of shit Morrison's Earth One WW is. I don't know WTF I was thinking when I typed my original review in this thread.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Caliente #916831 11/23/16 05:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Since it looks like the movie is emerging from development limbo, what would you recommend I read? I can't tell from the clips online which version it is drawing from. Should I just find the Golden Age Archives and go from there?

I have her Encyclopedia and have read some work by Perez and Jimenez. I also have read some 80s New Teen Titans with Donna Troy and a handful of Earth-2 issues from that same era.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Caliente #916832 11/23/16 05:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Start with the Golden Age stuff, the original stories.

Caliente #916859 11/24/16 06:06 AM
My short list of recommended WW:

1. The Golden Age stories, 1941-1947 -- Since there were no creator credits in those days, it's been hard until recently to tell where her eccentric male-feminist creator, William Marston (aka Charles Moulton) and Marston's various female writing collaborators, leave off, but IIRC, it's shortly after the introduction of the original Villainy Inc. And, FTR, Marston died in 1947, and the next year or two was something of a mess of unfinished Marston & Friends scripts, plot outlines, and springboards finished up by various parties, including Robert Kanigher, who took over as WW's chief writer/editor circa the end of the 1940s and stayed there for almost 2 decades. The Kanigher Era of WW has a lot of fans, but I personally find its juvenile, reactionary charms eminently resistible, with neither the edgy, subversive streak of the Mort Weisinger stable, nor the easy-going cleverness of the Julie Schwartz stable.

2. Wonder Woman #300 -- I've sampled various odd-and-sundry issues from the post-Kanigher, pre-Perez era (1968-1986), and found most of them utterly mediocre. The gem among the plastic baubles is, IMHO, this issue, written by Roy Thomas, edited by Marv Wolfman, with framing sequences drawn by Gene Colan, and alternate-world scenarios drawn by such talents as Ross Andru, Jan Duursema, Dick Giordano, Keith Pollard, and possibly one or two others I'm forgetting ATM. It's main selling point in hindsight has been the first appearance of Lyta Trevor (as a 12 year old), but as delightful as that sequence is, there's plenty more to enjoy.

3. Phil Jimenez -- I find that this perennially underrated run (WW v.2 #164-188) blows the Perez run out of the water. In place of Perez's pretentions, gore, creepiness, preaching-to-the-converted, and annoying "wide-eyed-innocent" portrayal of Diana, it gives us a playful, larger-than-life tone, nice Easter Eggs paying homage to every WW era (including the Lynda Carter TV show), tons of coded LGBT visual and verbal cues, and a Diana who, while still relying on her supporting cast (chiefly Donna & Cassie) to carry her, still comes much closer to registering as a sympathetic human being than in other runs IMHO.

Caliente #916861 11/24/16 06:26 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Is the run in the 60s where she gives up her usual life and uniform as entertaining as it sounds?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Caliente #916862 11/24/16 06:43 AM
^^That's a good question re: the "Dressed-Down Era."

I personally find it dated and OTT and a bit too much of the "Middle-Aged Creator Trying to Be Hip and Edgy Syndrome" (the creator in this case being Mike Sekowsky, whom I consider the most overrated JLA artist of all time (first doesn't mean best IMO), and not much of a writer, either.

Now, having said that, if you're as intrigued by this era as you appear to be, then you certainly don't lose anything by checking it out the way I did, via library (or, naturally, online, but I'd suggesting trying to see if you can do it online for free, in case it turns out you don't like it.)

Caliente #916948 11/25/16 01:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just realized something.

Rucka hasn't just undermined Azzarello's take on Wonder Woman but Geoff Johns' as well, because if the New 52 Amazons weren't real, then who the hell is Myrinaa and Darkseid's daughter Grail?

Caliente #916949 11/25/16 02:09 PM
The answer is simple:

The timeline those characters belong to "evolved," thanks to "Convergence." smile

Wow. For a bad event storyline, it sure has provided a convenient catch-all "out" for writers. lol

Caliente #917069 11/27/16 07:00 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I would like to know how versions of Wonder Girl have existed.

I am not sure if I want to go through the unintentional consequences that happened because of the Crisis rebooting Wonder Woman.

This is what I have so far:

Wonder Girl (Original Teen Titans, basically WW clone)
Wonder Girl (70s/80s)
Fury (The closest we get to an Earth-2 Wonder Girl)
Wonder Girl (Cassie)
Wonder Girl (New 52, reluctant to include due to lack of knowledge)

Caliente #917075 11/27/16 07:40 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wonder Girl (Original Teen Titans, basically WW clone) - A magical creation based on Wonder Woman when she was young.

Wonder Girl (70s/80s) - Essentially the same as the above, only the writers finally created a backstory for her as Donna Troy. Donna's mother gave her up for adoption when she was a baby, because she was fatally ill and couldn't raise Donna herself. Donna went through a couple of foster homes before she was found in an abandoned building by Wonder Woman and was taken to Paradise Island.

Fury (The closest we get to an Earth-2 Wonder Girl) - Lyta Trevor, daughter of Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor. Was a founding member of Infinity Inc. After Crisis, she became the daughter of the retroactively created "Golden Age" Fury, and then put through the wringer by Neil Gaiman in Sandman.

Wonder Girl (Cassie) - Was more or less a knock-off of Vanessa Kapatelis created by John Byrne during his run on Wonder Woman. When she first started out Zeus gave her mother the ability to nullify her powers if she wished. It later turned out her father was Zeus. Fans prefer her in Peter David's Young Justice to her appearances in Teen Titans, where many felt her personality was ruined and she became a judgmental, violent, and whiny loser.

Wonder Girl (New 52, reluctant to include due to lack of knowledge) - Cassie Sandsmark again, based mainly on her Teen Titans personality only her father is someone named Lennox, she's a pickpocket or thief or something, and she's stuck with some kind of magic armor that's slowly killing her or something. "Titans Hunt" later restored Donna Troy as the first Wonder Girl.

--

Other Versions:

Sins of Youth Diana - During the Sins of Youth crossover, Diana became young and Cassandra an adult, so Diana briefly was considered Wonder Girl.

Stephanie Trevor - Daughter of Wonder Woman and the deceased Steve Trevor from the "Generations" Elseworlds.

Caliente #917088 11/27/16 09:25 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Sins of Youth was AWESOME!

Pov #917094 11/27/16 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pov

Agreed 100%, Pov!! nod

Although Peter David was initially annoyed at finding himself the "head writer" on an event storyline, since he loathes events, and since it was originally supposed to only be contained in "Young Justice." LOL lol

Pov #917098 11/27/16 12:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Pov

Right?! Except for the gross way they killed Tana Moon.

Caliente #917128 11/27/16 07:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
God, you know what would've been great?

A Convergence: Sensation Comics miniseries focusing on the Golden Age Wonder Woman written by Trina Robbins.

Caliente #917329 11/30/16 01:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
A Golden Age Wondy villain appeared in the Batman Annual.

Caliente #918493 12/15/16 04:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
DC cancelled the second volume of Legend of Wonder Woman.

Because of course they did.

Caliente #920408 01/10/17 07:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
http://newyork.endangeredbodies.org/put_in_ink_rape_of_the_amazons_by_jude_deluca

I wrote an article about Wonder Woman for Endangered Bodies analyzing the New 52 and Rebirth arcs, but there are spoilers for the current run by Greg Rucka. Don't read it unless you've read issue #11 of the current volume.

Sarcasm Kid #920420 01/11/17 04:53 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
DC cancelled the second volume of Legend of Wonder Woman.

Because of course they did.

It was a great series, but did the creators really think they could bite the hand that feeds them the way they did and not have repercussions? If Bleeding Cool is to be believed, they had little nice to say about DC or any of the other teams working on WW properties (including Rucka).

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/1...-challenging-relationship-de-liz-dillon/

Re: DC Comics Rebirth
Sarcasm Kid #921509 02/02/17 08:52 AM
strange but not a stranger
I am getting real tired of the alternating story-line in Wonder Woman. Stick to one story at a time or give her a second title.

Who thought that an alternating story-line was a good idea to hold on to readers?

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Quislet, Esq #921510 02/02/17 09:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq
I am getting real tired of the alternating story-line in Wonder Woman. Stick to one story at a time or give her a second title.

Who thought that an alternating story-line was a good idea to hold on to readers?

Is it still twice a month (I honestly can't remember)? If so it is effectively two monthly titles, but I can see the frustration point.

Sarcasm Kid #921512 02/02/17 09:13 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq

Is it still twice a month (I honestly can't remember)? If so it is effectively two monthly titles, but I can see the frustration point.
I haven't read it yet, but it seems like a solution to having to alternate artists every other issue. By alternating stories instead, you at least get one artist per story. Sharpe to Scott would be pretty jarring if it were all the same story each issue. I suppose anyone getting the floppies could let issues stockpile and read four issues of one story, then four issues of another. Or you could buy the trades which will probably collect each separately.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Sarcasm Kid #921513 02/02/17 09:23 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Nicola's finished her "Year One" arc and is back working on her and Rucka's creator-owned Image title BLACK MAGICK. The storylines are being collected individually in trades, hers and Liam Sharpe's "Lies" arc.

Sarcasm Kid #921514 02/02/17 09:46 AM
It seems like they are still alternating story-lines

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Caliente #921544 02/03/17 03:19 AM
Active
Active
Such mixed feelings. I admit I probably let the bar get a bit too high, since Rucka's first run is my favorite WW run ever, despite ending too abruptly.

My main concern is something that afflicts a lot of Rebirth stuff: wallowing in its own damaged continuity. When the characters can't even keep their own backstories straight, you've got a problem. And I'm a little disturbed that 6 months in, we still don't know exactly what Wonder Woman it is we're reading.

Plus, the one thing I didn't like about his first run was Veronica Cale. For that to be the one thing he's brought back so far is a little disheartening. (well, maybe Ferdinand if the latest issue is to be believed)

Still, Rucka's a great writer, and it's nice to see a turn away from the warrior version of WW we've seen so much of lately. (Even if Rucka's own Sacrifice, or at least other writers' clumsy readings of it, were partly to blame for that.) I'll give it time to find its feet. And work on adjusting my expectations. If someone had told me before his first run "This will be your favorite run ever," I probably would have focused entirely on its flaws.

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,948
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Suddenly Seymour
Suddenly Seymour
Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star