Roll Call
0 members (), 55 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 04:49 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 04:49 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Nightcrawler - 05/14/24 04:45 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Reboot - 05/14/24 04:38 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 04:33 PM
Errors on Main Forum Page
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 04:27 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/14/24 04:17 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Re: Wonder Woman
#472024 05/26/07 09:06 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Drake,

As I think about it, one of the potentially interesting story lines with Wondy that I don't remember EVER being addressed is her lack of familiarity with men. I read every Perez issue, and I don't recall it coming up, really.

I mean, she grows up on an island of all women, women who really don't like men very much. So, is Diana attracted to men? If so, would she really know what to do to woo one? I think you could do some fun, interesting stories around this topic without getting to racey. Maybe she could go to Element Lad and Phantom Girl for dating tips?
Joss' movie script explored this. His WW was strong and intelligent but naive in the ways of mans world. He wanted to explore her misunderstanding of our views and sensibilities for much of the humor in the script while maintaining her mastery of the martial (military) arts and show that she is also well educated.

I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure
#472025 08/09/07 06:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sequential Tart interviews Gail Simone re: Wonder Woman.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#472026 08/09/07 08:00 AM
Leader
Leader
I like her attitude about being forced to work in crossover crap. That's been the downfall of many an interesting story in any number of books (Jimenez's WW and Hawkman come immediately to mind), but she seems to have a good handle on it.

#472027 08/14/07 08:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Delayed!! Hmph. I was looking forward to it, too.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#472028 08/16/07 09:13 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I contacted DCBS and canceled #13 from my August preorders. tongue Gail's the only futzin' reason I'm picking this title up.

And why isn't DC doing more to promote her taking over?! Waid gets a much-publicized return to the old numbering with The Flash, not to mention the All-Flash special... shake

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#472029 08/16/07 09:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Heinberg got more promotion on Wonder Woman, and he didn't come close to living up to the hype. I'm expecting a bunch of WW ads in the next month or so.

Just spouting off.
#472030 10/06/07 05:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, the board's now cleared for Gail Simone with the release of the annual. There's a new status quo for Wonder Woman that gives some purpose to the Diana Prince identity thanks to Circe. Doesn't really match up with AMAZONS ATTACK, however.

I loved the spread of all the villains attacking. I devoutly hope that Ms. Simone makes use of some the lesser known characters depicted here, instead of laying it on with Cheetah, Dr. Psycho and Circe.

I have no doubt that each of those mainstays'll appear, but I'd like to see some of the lesser lights shine, too.

#472031 11/13/07 01:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oooooo I'm all a twitter. Tomorrow we see Gail's first issue.

Newsarama has a few articles up, but DC hasn't done any promo work. That's odd...

I'm calling it now:

Wonder Woman and Gail Simone take the week!

Just spouting off.
#472032 11/14/07 10:24 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Gail is hit and miss with me. I loved Rose & Thorn and Villains United and Secret Six. But her JLA Classified arc was ruined by a terrible ending, and I read one of her Birds of Prey arcs and just couldn't see what the big deal was.

I thought Gail's first Wonder Woman issue was okay. My favorite scene by far was the conversation between Hippolyta and the mystery prisoner who wants Diana dead. I'm intrigued to see where that goes.

The main plot kinda left me cold. Geoff Johns already used Nazi villains less than a year ago in the opening arc of the JSA relaunch, and I think they're no more effective here. The ape jokes didn't make me laugh (I think she's often heavy handed with the humorous bits) and her portrayal of Lt. Col. Etta Candy shows signs of dangerously drifting into Mary Sue territory.

But the biggest flaw to me is that Gail is the latest WW writer who just cannot get me to care about Diana herself, which is especially dissapointing because I thought one of the positive qualities of her JLA arc was a portrayal of Diana that actually made me like her. Now, I don't know whether she wanted to obliterate the spy game setup of the two previous writers and editorial wouldn't let her, but it's not working any better for me.

I still think Donna should have been a permanent replacement (thanks for nothing, Allen Heinberg.)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#472033 11/14/07 11:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Gail is one of the few writers I'm really trusting to entertain me and please me these days, so I'm excited. In a way, her writing reminds me of PAD in the early 90's (when viewing it from the angle of why I personally enjoy her work).

Looking forward to it. Wonder Woman has been unreadable since Rucka left, and was virtually unreadable for years before he came.

#472034 11/15/07 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Wild Cobalt:
In a way, her writing reminds me of PAD in the early 90's (when viewing it from the angle of why I personally enjoy her work).
I never thought of that, but I could see Gail possibly learning over the years to integrate the humor more smoothly into the mixture of drama and action (these days, when PAD's at his best -- i.e. X-Factor or the Hulk HoM arc -- his blend is perfection, which wasn't always the case in his early writing.) On the other hand, there's a certain...smugness to Gail's writing that even PAD's lesser work doesn't come across to me; hopefully she'll get rid of that as her writing matures.

#472035 11/15/07 10:41 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I liked Gail’s first issue. We get Paradise Island and Hippolyta. We get Diana fighting apes, and apes flinging. BIRTHDAY CAKE and Diana Prince. Oooo Lt Col. Candy shows have sneaky she can be, and we get Nazis.

Okay the Nazi thing is played out, and with this week’s Wonder Girl mini, BC/GA, Countdown, and now WW- Themyscira is busier than Legion World on Cobie’s birthday. But it was a good start. I think Gail does a fine job mixing in the humour. She’s humanized Diana with her apartment and the cake. I can’t wait til she gets to cut loose with her.

The artwork is great, the Dodsons are perfect for drawing women without giving is a cheesecake look. (I like the shield they’ve given her. I know she has the bracelets, but it still looked cool.)

Just spouting off.
#472036 11/16/07 02:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Stealth:
[QUOTE] On the other hand, there's a certain...smugness to Gail's writing that even PAD's lesser work doesn't come across to me; hopefully she'll get rid of that as her writing matures.
Gail Simone's a good writer and I think she's a much-needed breath of fresh air at DC right now, but there's always been something just a little bit 'off' about her writing to me and while I wouldn't descibe it as 'smug' - I think that's probably a step in the right direction to nailing the problem.

Fortunately, I didn't see any such negative aspects in her first issue of Wonder Woman. Loved it! I know I'm probably in the vast minority here but I absolutely LOVE the new status quo Alan Heinberg established with this run (i.e. secret agent Diana Prince teaming up with Nemesis and Sarge Steel and so on) and it was great to see Gail take that ball and totally run with it here.

The great art helped too. But best of all - it was just a really cool and fun issue. I know the Rucka run had a lot of fans but to me that whole era was just morose and dull - and don't get me started on those modernised Greek Gods complete with laptops and lattes - UGH!

Going by this one issue, it looks like this run is going to be completely the opposite and I for one will definitely stay on board for the ride!

#472037 11/16/07 06:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
LOVED the gorillas! Her manipulation/beatdown was an interesting use of WW's animal-empathy in warrior mode. I think.

Will they be hanging around awhile?

Maybe they'll be the Holiday Gorillas (y'know-- gorillas on holiday in 'man's world').

At the least, the leader that WW befriends here could become the 'Wonder Boy' that some fans have requested from time to time.

I'm looking forward to Gail Simone's time at the helm of WW.

#472038 11/16/07 07:19 PM
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
I liked Gail’s first issue. We get Paradise Island and Hippolyta. We get Diana fighting apes, and apes flinging. BIRTHDAY CAKE and Diana Prince. Oooo Lt Col. Candy shows have sneaky she can be, and we get Nazis.

Okay the Nazi thing is played out, and with this week’s Wonder Girl mini, BC/GA, Countdown, and now WW- Themyscira is busier than Legion World on Cobie’s birthday. But it was a good start. I think Gail does a fine job mixing in the humour. She’s humanized Diana with her apartment and the cake. I can’t wait til she gets to cut loose with her.

The artwork is great, the Dodsons are perfect for drawing women without giving is a cheesecake look. (I like the shield they’ve given her. I know she has the bracelets, but it still looked cool.)
Speaking of GA/BC, who is in charge of Paradise Island, Hippolyta as in Wonder Woman or Athena as in the GA/BC issue?

It's things like that that make me long for strong editors and strong oversight of the characters.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#472039 12/01/07 05:11 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
bump for Gary or Scott to merge the Gail interview thread from the S&LSH forum...

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#472040 12/13/07 01:50 AM
Just like last month, I find the scenes without Diana interesting and scenes with Diana uninteresting. Who knows what my reaction will be when the plot threads finish converging next issue.

That bit with Diana forcing Captain Nazi to relive his traumatic childhood is very J.M. DeMatteis -- and I don't mean that in a good way.

The Dodsons' art in this issue was not as good as they're capable of.

At least there was no Lt. Col. Mary Sue Candy this month. I swear, if she wore glasses she'd look just like Gail!

I'm only getting the next two issues because I want to see the confrontation between Diana and Alkyone (it's quite clear that Alkyone's the prisoner.)

#472041 12/13/07 09:55 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Speaking of GA/BC, who is in charge of Paradise Island, Hippolyta as in Wonder Woman or Athena as in the GA/BC issue?

It's things like that that make me long for strong editors and strong oversight of the characters.
There's an editor's note at the beginning of this week's issue saying the WW arc takes place before Countdown #30. Mind ya, Athena/Granny Goodness has been recruiting since before then...

Wonder Woman takes down Captain Nazi. Hippolyta takes down his cronies invading Paradise Island. Diana spends the rest of the issue seeking help from other pantheons to repel the invaders. She swears fealty to a Native American god, and that promises to be interesting in the future.

Gail's strength has always been the small moments. I'm looking forward to the upcoming showdown just as much as you, Stealth.

Just spouting off.
#472042 12/13/07 08:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^^^^ I think that was a Hawaiian deity Diana was pledging allegiance to at the end there, not Native American. Or are Hawaiians considered Native American? My knowledge is pretty grey in that area.

I enjoyed this issue just as much as the previous one, which is to say - A LOT!

This just reads like classic comic-book storytelling to me - fun, dynamic lead character; cool, fleshed-out supporting characters; exciting and interesting story; fast-paced plotting; snappy banter; great art; and so on.

After all the death and dismemberment and angst I read in every other DC book this month it was actually a *relief* to sit down with this one!

#472043 01/21/08 06:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The 3rd issue is running late, and we've got a new artist in May, according to a Newsarama article.

Dagnabbit!

Just spouting off.
#472044 01/21/08 08:00 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Yeah-- Aaron Lopresti, fresh off Ms. Marvel and a current DC exclusive artist... not sure how I feel about that just yet. We'll see. shrug

#472045 01/24/08 02:51 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
OP Offline
feelin' hot hot hot
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Please tell me they did not just kill Hyppolita again after just bringing her back in that craptastic Amazons Attack event that made my eyes bleed. I guess death really doesn't have a meaning. Jeez.</span></span>

Gail, I expected better of you.

#472046 01/24/08 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Caliente:
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Please tell me they did not just kill Hyppolita again after just bringing her back in that craptastic Amazons Attack event that made my eyes bleed. I guess death really doesn't have a meaning. Jeez.</span></span>

Gail, I expected better of you.
Caliente,

I don't think it is what you think.

Seriously <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> Since the death of Hippolyta, Amazons Attack, Granny Goodness pretending to be Athena in Countdown, the Amazons have been put through the wring and getting as messed up as the old Hawkman continuity. It seems like ever other appearance we are getting the "definitive" Amazons/Paradise Island. We definitely need stronger editoral control. </span></span>

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#472047 01/29/08 08:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
While I don't like the final scene of this issue, I do like the story Gail is crafting. It showed why both Diana and Hippolyta are both warriors of note. These are Amazon women and they know.

Just spouting off.
#472048 01/31/08 06:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I wonder if the members of the Circle will turn out to be reoccurring antagonists? Not sure if they could be termed villains, but maybe they could.

They're creepy and sort of insane. Maybe one will rise to defend Hippolyta or Diana, while the others go even crazier.

In anycase, I hope at least one of the apes remains as a *permanent* addition to WW's supporting cast (she's had too many folks fade into the woodwork).

Unfortunately, until the Holly/Harley/GrannyAthena stuff in COUNTDOWN runs its course, this title is going to seem like it's happening in a parallel dimension. At least while the story's set on Themyscira.

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,305
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star