Roll Call
0 members (), 49 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Nightcrawler - 05/15/24 07:48 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:24 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:12 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:02 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/15/24 05:45 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Re: Wonder Woman
#472049 02/13/08 05:14 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
The conclusion of Gail's first arc consists mostly of the stuff I find interesting. The confrontation I was waiting for did not dissapoint.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> IMO, Alkyone could make a good recurring villain. There's a thousand ways she could have survived her plunge into the sea. </span></span>

On the other hand, I could have done without Gail's latest attempt to convince me that cake is inherently amusing. It just feels forced to me.

I guess I could say that, overall, I think her first arc was pretty good, and it turned out better than her first issue made me expect.

But for the moment, I'm downgrading Wonder Woman from "Buy" to "Read At the Store."

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#472050 02/13/08 08:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I give Gail's first arc a solid B. It's probably most memorable for her not totally mishandling Wonder Woman, which so many of the past writers have done. She gets credit for writing a short 3 issue arc with a beginning, middle, and end. That's kind of refreshing in today's market.

I'll be back for more. WW will never go on my "read at the store" list. My loyalty to Wonder Woman is second only to my loyalty to the Legion.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#472051 02/13/08 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Jerry:
She gets credit for writing a short 3 issue arc with a beginning, middle, and end. That's kind of refreshing in today's market.
Yes it is, except it was a 4 issue arc.

#472052 02/13/08 08:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Math never was my strong point.

#472053 02/13/08 08:54 PM
Fair enough.

#472054 02/14/08 08:19 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This arc started strong, but the end felt rushed to me. It would have been nice to have more of a throw down with the Circle.

And the Nazis rather rapid surrender didn't feel worthy of the 3 issue build up.

It was a good start, and I know Gail has big things in store so I'll stick around.

Just spouting off.
#472055 04/11/08 08:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So we got a two part Khund related issue. Diana gets to throw down with a GL before negotiating a little peace.

It was fun, short, entertaining- I liked it. Here's to more of this kind of work.

Just spouting off.
#472056 04/12/08 06:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The art was a little to humorous for my taste, but it fit the story for the most part. It seemed wrong for the Diana/Tom scenes, though. I didn't like the whole courtship thing last issue, but this issue gave us a little more insight into Tom, and it might not be as boring as I originally thought. smile

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#472057 04/18/08 08:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
There's a new Gail Simone interview at Newsarama. It sounds great; I'm really excited about this.. smile

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#472058 05/15/08 07:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wow! There's a new issue out, with Lopresti starting his run as the penciller. He does a fine job of it too. He gives us a few interpretations of WW on the cover, and they all are worthy of her iconic look.

Gail opens with Diana looking for Beowulf during his hunt for Grendel. Then follows up with a day at the office. And it's nothing like my boring job- Sarge Steel suspects Agent Prince is more than she seems. Lastly, Etta Candy and Diana have an encounter with the creepy stalker from Diana's apartment.

I'm intrigued and excited.

Just spouting off.
#472059 05/15/08 07:21 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
...an encounter with the creepy stalker from Diana's apartment...
Wow! Cobie's first in-continuity appearance?! eek

( lol )

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#472060 05/25/08 01:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Did anyone recognize the red-eyed stalker from another dimension? reality?

I remember his face from some '70's comic that I want to call NIGHTSTALKER. Is that right?

Wow. Way out of left field. Across the street from the parking lot.

A couple of solid adventures on non-Themyscira Earth to set what Diana's life is really like when in the whites *and* in civvies and this title will be cookin'.

Oh, yeah. The Manazons are coming. Ha! Ha! (Actually, Zeus and Apollo's comments were quite intriguing, funny name for their army aside.)

#472061 05/25/08 01:40 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Did anyone recognize the red-eyed stalker from another dimension? reality?

I remember his face from some '70's comic that I want to call NIGHTSTALKER. Is that right?
It was just STALKER ... I remember him being used most recently a few years back, in JSA, I think...

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#472062 06/12/08 06:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So apparentyl Stalker is bringng Diana on a tour of quasi-historical figures. First it was Beowulf, this week it's the Red Hand (unless I miss my guess there.) It seems our mysterious Stalker needs her help, and they need the others.

Diana does some praying, and not to her traditional gods. I wonder if her change in costumes is tied in with that. Gail's doing a fine job of weaving her previous and current patron dieites together.

And Hipployta discovers what we all suspected, we haven't seen the last of the Circle.

Ooo and more apes!

Just spouting off.
#472063 06/12/08 09:40 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Pov:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
[b]...an encounter with the creepy stalker from Diana's apartment...
Wow! Cobie's first in-continuity appearance?! eek

( lol )[/b]
lol

I enjoyed the Beowulf issue quite a bit. The dialogue between the two was cool.

I like the Stalker and think bringing him in is a cool idea. Ditto with the previous Khund 2-parter. Gail is a writer that picks up steam over time, and I feel like the book is starting to move now. I'm actually reading entire issues of WW for the first time since Rucka.

Can't say I'm too excited about the *groan* Manazons story though.

#472064 06/16/08 09:23 AM
Leader
Leader
I have to say while the first arc was entertaining and the Khund two-parter was pretty good the last couple of issues have been fantastic. I'm not sure why I'm liking the story so much but possibly it's because we're seeing a really nice Diana out her element fantasy story while still getting the on-going story with her real life. The two shouldn't work together but for some reason they do.

Plus the art in the last few issues has been lovely. Hopefully we'll actually end up with a long running creative team if they can keep the same standard up over time.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#472065 06/18/08 09:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wasn't there a DC barbarian-type character named Claw or Klaw with a red devilish looking hand in the same era as STALKER? Is that who this fourth character is?

I'm enjoying this a lot, too- though it is a storyline that you have to actually read and pay attention while doing so. It's not made up of issues you can skim through and get the gist of what's happening.

Which is a good thing.

I love the art-- those pages/panels with the sword-borders are lovely.

I'm ready for some more of the Apes on Holiday from Gorilla City. I love 'em to pieces.

#472066 06/21/08 01:47 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
CLAW The Unconquered ran from '75-76. He was used most recently in his own mini under the WS imprint, and a crossover WS mini with Red Sonja, a year or so back.

Gail's really digging through DC's Sword & Sorcery depths with Claw and Stalker. Cool. cool

#472067 07/13/08 05:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Newest issue--Wonder Woman thinking "Will I be the betrayer" was interesting... I wish that could have gone on a bit more, though I'm also glad this storyline's progressing and is, apparently, back on Earth in the last panel.

The gorillas on Holliday didn't get to be as funny or exhibit as much personality in this issue... I would've preferred Nemesis befriending them after an intial skirmish.

Donna Troy makes a welcome appearance. Welcome in that she's wearing the black and white starfield outfit, rather than the unbecoming half Wonder Girl, half Troia look she's stuck with in TITANS. Wonder how she'll interact with the gorillas?

#472068 07/14/08 05:28 AM
Leader
Leader
The last issue made me realise that Gail is really putting a lot into WW at the moment. There are a lot of plot threads going on and the main plot is proceeding at a fairly cracking pace without it feeling like there's too much going on. It's something the title has been missing for a few years now. Waid got horribly hamstrung at the end of his run by the constant crossovers and didn't really get much chance to just tell an entertaining story. Gail actually seems to be doing that here though.

Plus the art is lovely. The panel with Diana's face half regular inks and half pencils is absolutely stunning.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#472069 07/17/08 07:02 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This story really is Gail and Aaron trying to make WW the best she's ever been. It's amazing artwork; Mr Lopresti is right up there with the Dodsons and Adam Hughes when it comes to drawing beautiful, strong women.

Gail's script ranges from the fantastical to the humourous with ease, and we readers are gettign enough of both to satisfy. The main story has me eager to see Diana cut loose on a demon. The sub-plot of Nemesis and the gorillas was entertaining, and then Gail threw in a guest-star!

This is one of my favourite reads each month.

Just spouting off.
#472070 08/14/08 05:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That was aptly climactic. I'll kind of miss Beowulf, though. I liked the way he interacted with WW-- Klaw, too, though I felt like I really didn't get to know him that well. Grendel's still in Diana's future, though.

The Donna/Nemesis/apes scene was fun. I liked everything about it. I quite like Nemesis as partner for WW. Don't miss Steve Trevor a bit. Donna seemed more like herself than in the pages of TITANS, that's for sure.

Rhanda, Tolifhar and co.? Love 'em. May they be a part of the cast for a long time.

#472071 08/14/08 08:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Nice issue. A good ending to the story arc. Gail's use of the sword and sorcery crowd was inspired and orignal. A nice break from the mad gods of Diana's pantheon, but still very fitting for the Wonder Woman mythos. Donna and Nemsis were fun. I haven't enjoyed Donna this much in a long time.

#472072 09/06/08 04:14 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Yeah, a solid wrap-up. Diana's empathy for Stalker was very in-character; Her sorrow at his suffering with the return of her soul... sigh

#472073 09/12/08 10:42 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
WW in Hollywood- and she gets upstaged by the gorillas. There's a scene where either Rhanda or Tahlifar licks a character's hand that made me laugh out loud- something I don't often do when reading.

And what they tote around in their briefcases? Hee-hee!

The rest of the Hollywood portion of the issue was a perfectly serviceable adventure featuring an opponent that didn't really interest me that much when she appeared the first time in JLA. However, her MO makes her a perfect foe for Diana. It's even one that I'd think I'd like a lot from reading a description of her gimmick and of the character herself. But somehow, she leaves me uninvolved. Not sure why.

The meaty portion of the issue, for me, occurs in the waters surrounding and on Themyscira as Nemesis meets mom. Or should that be Mom?

I'd have liked to see a few issues of the pair dating, at the least, before these first formal steps of the Amazon mating dance. That said, I find the process quite fascinating.

I like the Amazon menagerie (has this been seen before? I don't quite remember...) and Hippolyta's not-so-subtle manipulation of Nemesis.

Tom and Diana riding in and out on a floating seashell made for some lovely images. Themyscira at night is also beautiful.

What wasn't was the 'someday you might rule this' line. Really? A man? And Hippolyta's 'babies, babies, babies'... funny. Possibly, a jokey manipulation as subtle as sticking Nemesis in front of a hungry griffin. If taken as serious? Ugh.

Yet not without redemptive possibility. Over time. Lots of time.

Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,335
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star