Roll Call
1 members (Elvar), 56 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/15/24 05:45 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/15/24 05:20 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
Re: Wonder Woman
#472099 08/29/09 09:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
She was there looking for Diana, wasn't she?

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#472100 10/01/09 09:18 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Though I enjoyed what I read, I'm not sure that WW's team-up with <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> Giganta </span></span> is such a good idea.

For that matter, their little tete a tete over scones or whatever it was seems... I don't know... out of character? Or is it? Perhaps Diana is the one hero that would have such an episode.

Still, I found myself puzzling over that much more than I did over her confrontation with Achilles, a relationship in which I'm much more invested. I find this 'male Amazon' tribe pretty interesting, even if it does seem to prove Zeus' insane instability (you only have to read a few myths to know that this isn't out of character for him at all.)

Is it the gender of the failed recipient of Diana's offer of alliance that is the main characteristic attributing to that failure? Or is it his 'out of time', unevolved state?

Add this to Pele's continued goading of Diana, and it becomes obvious that faith is going to be a major theme of the next few months and more, perhaps.

An apt choice, for Wonder Woman.

#472101 11/29/09 12:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#38-- Wow, I enjoyed this issue! Alkyone is a deranged witch, arranging a hideous ceremony that's all a trick to unveil what she thinks is Diana's father! I don't for a minute believe that she's correct, except in the most figurative- in a couple of senses- way.

Donna has a couple of strong scenes, and a new Amazonian look that I hope doesnt' make it into the pages of TITANS or JLA.

Tolifher (eek! I've forgotten how to spell his name!) and co. appear briefly, and have me worried. I want them around as supporting cast forever...

Achilles puzzles... will he ultimately be friend or foe or something forever in between? Will a Wonder Man really be joining the Wonder family?

It's somewhat frustrating to to have read on message boards that both he and Alkyone are gay characters, without actually seeing that in print. It's hinted at, surely. Strongly, even, but not spelled out.

Also, the Blackest Night stuff makes everything happening in this title seem a bit unimportant. That's not right- as I read the issues, I think *this* is the important stuff. But DC would seem to have a different mindset.

#472102 11/30/09 02:56 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
ML, make sure to stay away from the WW boards over at DC. If you like it, you must not be a "true fan" there. I think I'm gonna abandon them before to long. You might get one or two people from the other side to talk to you reasonably, but the rest go nuts.

Anyway, I'm liking it as well. I also thought the Cottus as Diana's "father" was nutso wish fulfillment on Alky's part.

I must be about the only one that likes the skirt look on Donna. I have to say that after 40+ years of ugly unitards, this was a nice change of pace. Besides, I like women in skirts. wink

Ummm, Achilles is gay, as per Gail. She's stated it straight up (pardon the unintentional pun).

so far, I think its been pretty good. Got me to read Diana on a regular basis, and that hasn't happened since marinan finished up the Perez reboot. It has a couple of problem spots in the pacing and jumping around at times, but I think Gail does that to get you to pay attention to the book. Its certainly not spoonfed.

Something pithy!
#472103 11/30/09 08:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I liked this issue, although I was a little lost. I've got to figure out where I put all the issues I haven't read yet.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#472104 12/03/09 10:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't get all the fuss on the DC Boards, either. Not the best Wonder Woman story ever, but hardly deserving of such harsh criticism. I'm with you, Rick, on Donna's skirt. I really liked the look.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#472105 12/04/09 11:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
We are a cult of two, then it seems.

I actually thought it looked good and from a battle standpoint, probably more practical than the unitard. I don't care how strong she is, those things have to be restricting. The skirt provides ample coverage and allows for easier movement.

Plus, she's got great gams.

Something pithy!
#472106 12/05/09 05:09 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
*searches the internets for a picture of this costume*

click to enlarge

UH... ... I don't think so. If it had a gladiatrix skirt - like her short-lived Wonder Woman costume - rather than that fabric thing (which I'm fairly sure she couldn't run in - the weight of it would make it more restricting than a unitard), lost the blue completely and toned down some of the fussier asymmetry (and note - she's not left-handed last time I checked. Why has she got the SHIELD on her right arm and the SWORD set to draw with her left?) it could maybe work.

I just said "if it was completely different, it could work", didn't I? Okay, I definitely don't like it.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#472107 12/05/09 06:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sorry, George Perez is a great artist, but can't design costume's for anything. Case in point Dick Grayson's original nightwing. Both Donna's and Dick's costumes were terrible, and much fussier than this pic.

The other pic, the Donna as WW looked infinitely less practical to me. Her own skirt looked like it was going to stab her in the legs with what looked like chicken feathers.

The skirt looks like it would cover much more than either the perez or the ww outfit.

And honestly, while I've never really liked the unitard look, none of it matters concerning weight. She's super strong. I was thinking more along the lines of "Hey, I'm superstrong and wearing a unitard...hope it doesn't bust in an awkward place!" type of thing.

But, all that said, if you didn't like it, you didn't like it, lol. I just really like women in skirts. Legs are nice.

wink

Something pithy!
#472108 12/05/09 11:02 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Note that the Pérez pic was linked on "Uh". I was attempting to suggest that this reminded me of a costume I already didn't like.

And here's the thing - skirts of any length are horrendously impractical for running in, let alone fighting. Donna's WW gladatrix skirt was mostly a cosmetic adornment to what's functionally a leotard, like Namora\'s current costume over at Marvel - she could move freely, whereas she'd have to do a Moulin Rouge to get anywhere on foot in THAT skirt (When I say "weight" in terms of skirt, I just mean it falls down naturally rather than getting caught by a breeze. IOW, she'd get tangled up in it).

My favourite Donna costume, incidentally, is this one . Yep it's a unitard, and the version that goes up to her neck rather than the cleavagetastic version of recent times at that, but it's simple and classy.

And you're talking about the "burst in an awkward place" thing, presumably when she tries a high kick or something like that... but she'd be virtually guaranteed to flash everyone if she tried something along those lines in a skirt!

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#472109 12/06/09 01:56 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, cheerleaderss were underpants instead of 'panties'. I'd think it would be the same thing.

All I'm really saying is that it beats the unitard look. Yeah, they could lose the starry bottom fringe, but other than that, it looks pretty good, seems like it would be a lot less restrictive and definitly represents a change.

Something pithy!
#472110 12/06/09 05:02 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
All I'm really saying is that it beats the unitard look.
So when Dick goes back to being Nightwing, he should wear a skirt rather than his normal unitard?

#472111 12/06/09 08:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Let's keep Donna's skirt in context, guys. I don't think it is any way intended to replace the sleek black and star field uni as her super hero costume. It's the outfit she will be wearing for the battle to come on Themyscira.

Diana has different outfits that she wears in different settings, and typically does not stay in the Wonder Woman costume when she is on the island for extended periods. Remember the Perez designed skirt she used to wear sometimes?

Take a closer look at issue #38. Most of the characters, men included, are wearing skirts. Lopresti is definitely going for a "period piece" feel as opposed to titillation or sexualization of the characters. I like the black, blue and silver color scheme. Donna's look fits in well with the rest of the cast in the context of this story

#472112 12/07/09 10:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
They've been playing with the WW look since Gail and Aaron came on board. Between the elseworld beats and the to-war outfits, I'm glad to see them experimenting with the look of Diana and her comrades.

Donna's skirt is a bit impractical, but this is a super-hero comic book. I like the look- it maintains some continuity and still signifies a more drastic approach than her usual body suit.

Just spouting off.
#472113 12/08/09 06:17 PM
Leader
Leader
Don't know if you heard but WW's celebrating #600 issues soon!:

http://www.comicvine.com/news/wonder-woman-600/139964/

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#472114 12/11/09 04:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Reboot, he's romany. If he was scottish, yeah, I'm sure the girls would love to see him in a kilt.

Talk about Blue Moon...

Something pithy!
#472115 01/10/10 10:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thumbs down from me for Wonder Woman: Blackest Night #2. It reminds me of why I am so fatigued by DC Crossover events. The Nicola Scott artwork is still excellent. The story is just plain weak. I've been reading on the message boards how incredible Mera is in Blackest Night, so I was interested in seeing her in this story. Well, I wasn't that impressed. The story made it seem like Mera and Wonder Woman are great friends, almost best of friends. Where did that come from? I agree that they should be friends and the friendship would have a very interesting dynamic. I've been a Wonder Woman fan for a long time. The relationship was overstated.

The imaginary battles and deaths of Cassie, Donna, and Hyppolyta were just messed up. Pointless and gruesome. They all came across as really petty. I guess catty comments still count as characterization for female characters? Come on, Rucka. You can do better than that.

And now, we're supposed to believe that this secret love that Diana harbors for Batman is key to bringing her back from the dark side? I'm confused and insulted. It makes no sense and DC writers have got to quit treating Diana as an appendage for Superman and Batman.

#472116 01/12/10 07:50 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, I loved the conclusion of this arc. I always love 'come together' plots- especially ones that don't utilize new-agey 'focus your will together' kind of resolutions pulled from some magic book or other.

I hope to see Achilles in a variety of settings in the future. If there was any justice, *he'd* get a new series instead of that nabob, Magog.

It was gratifying to see Alkyone 'get hers', but I hope she somehow survives, as villainesses you love to hate are the rarest creatures in comics. I mean, would anyone want to see her 'reform'? Don't get me wrong, I *like* redemptive character turns (Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Piper, Catwoman) as much as I dislike their opposites-- but *every* villainess doesn't have to turn good. Or even show shades of gray (though I'll never criticize *that* segment of the color wheel). Here's hoping Alkyone turns up again and again, with ever loonier plots in that bald head of hers!

#472117 01/23/10 10:32 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well I thought this has been a pretty weak string of Wonder Woman issues for some time now but the final story of this arc (#39) was actually a strong step in the right direction. I haven't really found this story to interesting at all and that's my biggest complaint; yet here Gail shows off her writing skills at bringing the events to such a strong close that I sat back and took notice.

One complaint I just can't stop having is the continued use of Zues here (and in Hercules too). Enough is enough and kill the bastard off already. He's such a weak, useless character that I can't stand him. I think that's a major longtime problem with Wonder Woman's series: the Greek Gods are pretty annoying for me and no one can ever get them right. I prefer the other characters of myth, including Achilles and legendary heroes, but actual longtime "Gods" (re: not character raised to Godhood) always seem to blunder around.

Achilles, on the other hand, had a great role here. I'd like to see his continued involvement in Diana's life.

Alkyone is probably the best Wonder Woman villain to be invented since the 1940's. Great, great new character (I assume Gail created her in her first arc).

Aaron Lopresti's work is just great and if it wasn't for that earlier in the arc I'd probably have never bothered to read the end. Plus, he draws totally awesome Megaladon sharks.

Now I hope Gail uses this momentum to move things along and get back on track. I'm groaning about the oncoming Ares story (yet another character no WW writer has ever gotten right IMO) but hopefully there will be some other things before that hits.

#472118 02/07/10 11:28 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Gail's been telling a long story since she came on board, in the same vein as John's or Bendis. It's been enjoyable seeing someone take time to build (rebuild) Diana's world. Since Amazons Attack, her world has been in disarray. With her run, Gail's brought back the fantastical excitement of Paradise Island, showing us what an intriguing life she has on Themyscira.

It's been a bit heavy on the mythology yes. But it's given Lopresti opportunities to draw some amazing art. From Diana's varying looks to Poseidon's creatures, to Achilles' warriors, it's all been a pleasure to look at.

With the new issue of Wonder Woman, we get a new storyline. And no more Zeus, no more Achilles, no more Amazons attacking, Gail's brought Diana back to DC (Washington that is.) She sets up a story focusing on different prejudices, instigated by a trio/quartet? of prep school kids with some cool nicknames.

I know folks had an issue with the Greek stuff, here's something a little more modern for you all.

Just spouting off.
#472119 02/26/10 10:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I love the mythology and would eat it up if that's all the series ever was (what's wrong with a setting distinct from pretty much *every* superhero book out there?)- but I realize I'm in the vast minority here, so I welcome the more standard superhero stuff, too. I guess WW's status beyond comics means she shouldn't be *too* pigeon-holed into an easily forgotten corner of the DCU.

Greek (and Norse) gods and goddesses have *always* had stories told about them that stresses their human-like foibles. That's a big part of their enduring hold on western storytelling, not just in comics. And a not inconsiderable role in the development of Western Civilization as a whole.

In comics, though, they do create a somewhat unique dilemma. A writer has to reconcile their existence not just with 'reality', but with a reality filled with colorful, superhumanly powered heroes and heroines and villains and villainesses that have to actually be the stars of their tales.

If Zeus and Athena were presented to the fullness of their potentials in the DCU setting, could WW or Superman or Batman believably be the heroes that they are or are meant for us to believe they are?

I guess that's why Zeus's bumbling around is what we see... and Hades' and Ares' one-note villain characterizations are the rule. Neither of them were uncomplex villains, any more than war or death are purely evil in reality. Interesting that Athena doesn't seem to be 'lessened' in her DCU appearances. Is that only because they've been relatively few? I always wonder about Apollo's perpetual absence...

Anyway- #41's out and it features a break from mythological setting, though a figure from myth is featured in a prominent opening subplot, along with some new(?) characters with *very* myth-based origins continuing to cause trouble.

I loved this issue for a number of reasons. First of all, there's Achilles moving to... well, somewhere in America. For some reason, I thought it was Washington DC, but that's not actually stated. I liked the bit with Patrick Cleese... but if Achilles were the leading character, I'd find the Diana-as-matchmaker bit and the reincarnated Patroclus thing as way too much too fast too easily. *However*, as this isn't someone who's going to get his own miniseries or back-up anytime soon, I'm OK with moving along his story at a heightened pace.

What I really liked was Mysia and Chris Batista's rendition of Achilles astride the two-trunked, three-eyed flying elephant vaulting into the nightsky above Thalarion. Beautiful.

Oh, yeah- this is a Wonder Woman comic. I liked that part of the issue, too. WW and PG go through a fairly routine 'mind-influenced-super-heroes-fight-each-other-instead-of-the-bad-guys' plot, but with some enjoyable twists. First of all, even though one of them's under the influence, so to speak, she still thinks and acts like herself.

There's a battle of words at the heart of shaking off the influence, rather than just a punch in the gut. Or in conjuction with a punch or two, to be more accurate. These are two fighters. But that's not all they are.

I liked that characterization was revealed while fighting, something that doesn't happen nearly as much as it should in superhero comics. I liked the 'did she just punch me to Canada' line. I liked the way elements dating back to WW's earliest history were intertwined with recent events (the bondage bit, Reformation Island, the white gorilla to the rescue, the too-short glimpse of Steve and Etta).

What didn't I like? The 'she's not Amazon' line. Hippolyta would think this, or Artemis. But Diana? The only thing worse would be if Donna had thought it. Diana and PG sitting on clouds at issue's end? Floating among- great. But how do you sit on a cloud? Maybe Diana was using the L________ tech that the invisible plane's made from...

How long till the little sons of Ares raise a ruckus on Reformation Island? Was that the plan all along?

I hope Diana's use of actual spanking comes back to her-- it was well-justified and good for a chuckle, but the psychology of the act shouldn't be ignored.

#472120 02/26/10 10:37 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It was a nice short story wasn't it ML? And while the mythology was present, it was more just to tie the issue to the current series.

Gail really showed Diana's and Kara's personalities. She gave us a great peek inside each woman's mind, how they approach a fight, how they look at life, and at each other. I gotta disagree with ya ML - Diana's comment about not being an Amazon seemed spot on. She respects Kara as an opponent, but her training as an Amazon is a way of life, she's more than her powers.

And seeing PG try and handle crowd control was more entertaining than WW's handling of the villains of the story.

Achilles' story is one of those slow burns. Just hope it isn't too slow.

Just spouting off.
#472121 03/08/10 08:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It's official. Gail Simone is leaving Wonder Woman. JM Straczynski will be the new writer. I respect them both. The high point of Gail's run for me was the sword and sorcery arc. Best of luck to her. I've enjoyed Stracynski's Brave and Bold stories and look forward to his work on both Wonder Woman and Superman. And the beat goes on....

#472122 03/09/10 09:44 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
While I didn't dislike Gail's run on WW, I have to say I'm not heartbroken about her leaving the title. I just didn't *love it* like I did so many of Gail's other comics. Like Jerry, the high point for me was the sword & sorcery arc but many other arcs landed flat.

I do look forward to Gail's return to BOP and also to JMS's arrival on Wonder Woman. I'm still waiting for that Wonder Woman run that really just blows me away--thus far it has yet to exist in my lifetime.

#472123 03/09/10 05:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I'm still waiting for that Wonder Woman run that really just blows me away--thus far it has yet to exist in my lifetime.
I'm waiting for something to top Perez' run ...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,330
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Color Kid
Color Kid
Largo, Florida..originally from Champaign, Illinois
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star