Roll Call
0 members (), 51 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/15/24 11:37 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Nightcrawler - 05/15/24 07:48 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:24 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:12 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:02 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/15/24 05:45 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Re: Wonder Woman
#472224 03/28/12 03:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
#7 was a great story. Nasty about the Amazons' boy babies - although girl babies are aborted or destroyed in our world even today - and even more cruel about the fathers; that seemed unnecessary, but we're not dealing with Paradise and love with this bunch of Amazons. Yet Diana herself shows great compassion to people. What made her different?

I liked Cupid too. That opening scene was a good illustration of watch what you pray for - and that love isn't all hearts and cherubs.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#472225 03/28/12 08:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
When I first read the Amazons as murdering rapists, I was revolted. As Shady mentioned, that sort of thing is associated with some accounts of 'historical' Amazons, so it isn't plucked from the ether.

Also, WW and we are getting the story from a god- clearly not to be shown as all that reliable a narrator in this series. Except Hermes. Who is a trickster.

So, I don't know how much the tale will stand.

I did find the 'wonder boys' characterization and devotion to 'master' interesting. I wish one of them had felt differently.

Again, I find the story itself very well-written and entertaining. I always like Hephasteus-- and this Eros is fun. But the ramifications for this earth's Amazons is almost too much to take, for someone who liked very much previous versions of the concept (not that pretty much every version didn't have their own 'dark aspects').

#472226 03/29/12 04:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Does this aspect of the Amazons mean that they aren't 'immortal' like they've been before?
Or does it mean that a lot of the Amazons get killed in combat for some reason?

We haven't seen that these are in any way superior beings, really, no purple ray or invisible plane, that I remember anyway.

I haven't read all of Diana's Justice League yet and I'd have to go over WW issues again to see about the plane.
It's funny that the plane has completely skipped my mind, since it was always such a part of Diana's persona.
shrug

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#472227 03/30/12 09:56 AM
Leader
Leader
It's sad, and shocking, what people can get used to, without knowing any better.

I read the Kanigher-Andru WW. And the Thomas-Colan WW, the Mishkin-Cohn-Colan WW, the Mishkin-Heck WW, the Perez WW, some of what came later, and the Byrne WW.

THEN I read the Golden Age WW ARCHIVES.

WOW. F***ING WOW.

I suddenly realized... this was "it". And NOTHING ELSE ever, ever had been. Even the George Perez run was CRAP-- BY COMPARISON.

It's like... for the sake of example... PEANUTS.

You could take 50 of the very best writers and artists on the planet, and set them loose on doing that strip. And their work could be magnificent, stunning, gorgeous, compelling, gripping, hilarious, thought-provoking, or even all of the above. And it JUST WOULDN'T MATTER. Because no matter what they did... it wouldn't be "the real thing".

And WW has not been "the real thing" since her original creators passed away.

#472228 04/03/12 03:26 PM
Active
Active
All I can think of when I see Hades is Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast!

#472229 04/03/12 06:00 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I found Wonder Woman #7 to actually be...quite excellent! Incredibly well done story that was written with all the right notes and drawn incredibly.

I know there's some anger at the revelation, but the truth is it was just executed so damn well, I can't help but be on board. And given the Amazons roots in ancient cultures, this seems more realistic and in line with those worlds than not.

Cupid and Hephaestus were great. The sons / brothers are a great addition to the mythos. And Diana was written perfectly; as FC mentions above, she shows a compassion her sisters do not, showing how different she truly is.

The series continues to be one of the best out there.

#472230 04/03/12 09:38 PM
Active
Active
All I can think of when I see Hades is Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast!

#472231 04/04/12 04:50 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^ lol

It's been on tv a lot too lately!

#472232 07/07/12 03:02 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Enjoyed the bride of Hades arc and the end was genius, imo.

Poor Persephone!
She's an anorexic waif who slit her wrists to escape a Hades who can't love.
How come she doesn't get half the year or so, as Spring & bountiful Harvest, anymore?
I loved her plump Titian beauty.
sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#472233 07/31/12 08:35 AM
Active
Active
I have to admit that I was left a bit confused when Diana escaped Hades' Underworld. He just let her go and then she shoots him?

#472234 07/31/12 11:40 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Shot him with Eros' gun. With Hephaestus' gift of a mirror, I guess the idea was for him to love himself, as Diana counseled. ("You can't make anyone love you unless you love yourself.")

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#472235 08/03/12 04:55 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That's what I got, too.
Diana loves, so with Ero's gun, she can give love.
I just wanted to see his change, the dawning wonder, his look toward Persephone, the loss of the bleeding scares, yum, yum, yum.
Oh, well.

Hera's gambit is wierd.
shrug
Zeus as Diana's father certainly opens up opportunities for upsets, though, which is fun.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#472236 08/10/12 08:02 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm still enjoying WW quite a bit! Chang's art certainly is a big plus, as without him I'm not sure I'd be enjoying it as much.

Azz needs to be careful on how close he brings Hera into being her cliche. The early issues made me feel like this was a fresh take on Hera with some nods to her usual role in things but without retreading the same old ground. I'm hopeful he is able to pull away from the recent slide into cliche.

I'm enjoying the way Diana herself has been written. She's a powerful, iconic character here while being someone I can emphathize with. That is a hard thing to deliver for her (and Superman, etc.).

One thing that sticks out for me: where the hell did Lennox come from? He like showed up out of nowhere and sticks out like a sore thumb. He's obviously a favorite of Azz and I can't shake this "Mary Sue" feeling I get towards him.

#472237 08/16/12 03:31 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah, Lennox is sort of like a fifth wheel, or the guy that nobody invited to the wedding but he's there.

Well, I had axed Wonder Woman as part of my disenchantment with the DCnU, but now I've read the spoilers over at Bleeding Cool and the book's back on my list because (big spoiler alert)<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> I love Kirby's New Gods!</span></span>

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#472238 08/22/12 08:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
After reading WW #12, this is probably DC's best relaunch of the New 52. It might be my all around fav DC title in general, but in terms of a "relaunch" I find it the most successful in terms of redefining the character in a way that builds on what she was before - changing enough things to reinvigorate the concept, but also bolstering her strengths.

The scene with her removing her bracelets was an amazing concept. I'm not sure they've been thought of this way before, but it now makes me wonder why she has to have them at all. (I'm sure Azzarello knows why, I just hope he tells us soon)

The last scene with the baby? Totally didn't see *that* coming!

And the last page? **((((BOOM!!)))**

Yes, this is my current favorite title.

#472239 09/19/12 07:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wonder Woman #0 was the best of this month's zero issues that I've read so far. This is a totally new take on Diana's training and coming of age that compliments the changes that have been introduced in the new series.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#472240 10/24/12 08:47 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I totally agree WW #0 was hands down the best of the zero issues. Totally fantastic in every way! Days later, I'm still thinking about it and its various intricacies.

#472241 11/02/12 05:26 PM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
#13 was pretty good too--it strangely felt a bit more like the WW we had before in the focus on the last half being Diana kicking ass and being all sweet and compassionate to the little girl she finds.

Also, Hera proclaiming her love of ice cream was hilarious, especially when you remember Diana's first real appearance in the New 52 Justice League. laugh

Caliente #769258 04/25/13 06:08 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The only DC Comic that I am anxious to read each month (the only one I put in my "read now" pile after a 4 week pick up) is Wonder Woman, which I continue to love!

I love the cast Azz has developed, and at this point watching them interact is worth the price of admision alone and ton of fun. It's about time--3,000 years actually--that Hera got her chance to be a complex yet likable character! And the very complex depiction of Ares, like all the other deities here, is most welcome.

Plus, Orion and Wonder Woman have more chemistry (good and bad) than Superman and WW by a mile. His presence here is fun and fitting.

My only complaint is the book is at its best when Cliff Chang is on the art so I hope he's back ASAP.

Caliente #779413 07/11/13 04:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
These are my thoughts on the Superman/Wonder Woman pairing, as of now reading Justice League #22.

I've had misgivings about Superman and Wonder Woman as a couple from the start, simply out of fear of Wonder Woman being turned into nothing more than Superman's sidekick. In the issues I've seen leading up to this, it's felt as if Clark has been trying to get Diana to open up to his lifestyle choices while Diana has yet to voice any of hers. In this issue, she came across as very standoffish, to the point where I felt the whole point is NOT to side with Diana at all. I have read stories where this coupling has been attempted and done well, but, it still feels as if Clark is the dominant party and Diana is supposed to be the submissive one. And I'm reminded of Infinite Crisis, where Diana met her older counterpart from Earth-2, who lectured her on how she hasn't been acting human in a long time and that she needs to be there for Superman. I didn't think much of that at the time, but re-examining it now, it just feels like Diana is being treated as if she has to be supportive of Superman while allowing him to be the one in control. Taking all that into account, I say the line of thinking that put Clark and Diana together is backwards, especially since A: DC has been trying to re-brand everything as brand new for two years and that they have gone in new directions, and B: that the writing feels geared towards vilifying Diana for not throwing everything down and submitting to Clark's thoughts on how to live, or making us feel warm inside when she does. What are we supposed to think about Diana for being against Superman? What are we supposed to think about Clark for how he's trying to put his views on the world on Diana? I have no idea, and I wonder if anyone else does.

Then there's also the clash of what they represent. Superman is a symbol of Truth, Justice, and the American Way, Wonder Woman is a symbol of hope, love, beauty, intellect, and strength not just for women but for the world, and her early stories challenged gender roles and the roles of women in society. They had a very well known friendship in the old DCU to the point that they were more like brother-and-sister. But now the latter is coming across as unresponsive to the wants and needs of the former.

The discussion about her Rogues Gallery also felt very out of place, because Wonder Woman has always lobbied for reforming her rogues even if she doesn't take their bullshit. Frankly, I feel this relationship is very stilted and puts Diana in a bad light, and after so many years of conflicted portrayals, this is really the last thing she needs.

Caliente #782943 08/09/13 12:40 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So, at the end of the day, the only DC comic that really stands out to me as excellent is Wonder Woman. I'm still really enjoying the series immensely.

Cliff Chang's artwork is my #1 reason, as he's just emerged as such an awesome talent. It's very pleasing on my corneas.

I'm also loving the Orion / Wonder Woman chemistry, which his part animosity, part growing respect and just a little one-sided flirting. It's much more exciting and enjoyable than the Superman / Wonder Woman nonsense which is falling flat on its face elsewhere.

Caliente #824409 10/10/14 04:39 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Interesting perspective on Wonder Woman from Phil Jimenez (whose Wonder Woman run is my favorite to date)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10...o-make-a-movie-out-of-this-wonder-woman/

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Caliente #824410 10/10/14 04:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I wouldn't say "well covered" so much as "well copied." Do you change the original because it's been copied over and over again into so many other names?

And because so many of those copies have been popular, I don't see why anyone is saying this is a difficult movie to make. She's every bit as interesting as Superman with the advantage of having a back-story connected to years of high school English and Social Studies class. She's NOT alien. She's a history easier than Superman's to identify with and she's just as tough.

15-20 minutes of her "growing up," a few more of present day, then go save the planet and have ice cream. Good flick. Save the romance and stuff for part two.

Caliente #832965 12/28/14 01:37 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I know some Legion Worlders who might be interested in the final splash page of Wonder Woman #37. Just saying....

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
Caliente #832966 12/28/14 01:39 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Interested, yes.

Screaming into the night, also yes.

Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,336
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Not-So-Bad Lad
Not-So-Bad Lad
The Evil Anti-Moon!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star