Roll Call
0 members (), 27 Murran Spies, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/21/24 06:16 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by Harbinger - 05/21/24 03:08 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 01:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:27 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
The Archives Re-read Project Discussion Thread
by stile86 - 05/20/24 08:22 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I currently buy "0" marvel books.
#473067 03/11/12 10:43 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I read Xmen for years, well, decades really, along with other assorted marvel books that came and went. never got into the avengers or ff.

And then xmen went to hell in my opinion. Still, there were other books along and along that I enjoyed, so it seemed like there was always one or two marvels stuck in my pull at all times.

but in the last few years they cancelled all the "b" titles I liked, and radically changed the "a" titles I still liked. Xmen was long gone. Captain Marvel by PAD was gone, Herc came and went, as well as the abortive attempts at a Hawkeye series. She Hulk was basically bukakied to death with just crap flung at her, till she got a good writer, and then people seemed to lose interest.

So, for the first time in decades, there is not one single marvel book in my pull. I do however enjoy some of the Dynamite books. Marvel may be taking the title in overall sales, but it just isn't interesting me anymore.

frown

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Re: I currently buy "0" marvel books.
#473068 03/11/12 11:03 AM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
Except for the JLA/Avengers crossover, I haven't bought a Marvel comic in over 10 years. Despite dire warnings, my life has been very happy in that time, thank you.

TheUmbra

#473069 03/11/12 12:45 PM
Active
Active
I've never been much of a Marvel fan, but I am currently enjoying Avengers Academy.

#473070 03/11/12 01:21 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Doesn't this thread belong in the Dr. Gym'll's forum?

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#473071 03/11/12 01:32 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^ Yes nod

Rick, I'm surprised you dont read Thunderbolts. It seems like it'd be right up your alley. And IMO, right now it's better than it's ever been.

#473072 03/11/12 03:53 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
CK, never got into them because of the usual...saw the first issue, never saw another one at my lcs till they were in the teens.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#473073 03/11/12 04:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Same for me, with the recent publication of YOUNG AVENGERS CHILDREN'S CRUSADE # 9, I no longer have any Marvel titles on my pull.

I just dropped the last holdout- NEW MUTANTS- due to far too many crossovers with "EVENTS" and the X-books.

I think it would take a massive "new 52" style total reboot of the X-books and Avengers to get me interested in them again.

I will still continue to purchase any MARVEL ZOMBIES or YOUNG AVENGERS titles they see fit to publish, because I enjoy those.

And if they ever do a title as high-quality and fun as Slott's SHE-HULK or Milligan/Allred's X-FORCE/STATIX, I'll be there too.

I *did* buy the AVENGERS ACADEMY 1-shot that collected issues 1-3, and *loved* it... I had hoped they would continue those 1-shots and collect the whole series that way, but it appears not. I *might* buy # 4-on in the back issue bins one day.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#473074 03/11/12 04:59 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I've never bought a Marvel super-hero book. Ever. When I was a kid I read a few of licensed properties published by Marvel, but that was it. I've been given an odd issue, but I've never bought one.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#473075 03/11/12 05:19 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I read X Factor by Peter David

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#473076 03/11/12 08:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Daredevil, my friends, is a Marvel you should try.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#473077 03/11/12 08:30 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
hmmmm ..... I'll look for Daredevil.

Wolverine and the X-Men is the best X book in decades ... and X-Men Legacy has been pretty "not bad in any way" for quite some time. (the Age of X story line was inspiring!)

Uncanny X-Force is good ... yet sensational ...

The only things I get from DC are OMAC and Shade.

and I go through X Factor phases.

I also get Uncanny X-Men but it's not that great.

#473078 03/11/12 08:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
I've never bought a Marvel super-hero book. Ever. When I was a kid I read a few of licensed properties published by Marvel, but that was it. I've been given an odd issue, but I've never bought one.
Every human needs to read some Claremont X-Men from it's heyday. smile

#473079 03/11/12 08:45 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I barely read anything. Period. I follow the Legion books and BoP at DC, when possible. Which isn't much, lately.

The only Marvel book I try to follow is Daredevil. Possibly others would grab me, but I really can't afford them so it's not really worth it to try.

shrug

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#473080 03/12/12 10:24 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Since I try to know the tastes of my LW peeps, I would recommend the following:

For Rick, Thunderbolts. But only the current run by Jeff Parker and Kev Walker. Also, I know this sounds crazy, but you might like the Venom relaunch...it's nothing like what you think.

For Lash, Wolverine & the X-Men. Trust.

For Cleome, you're reading exactly the perfect book for you: Daredevil.

For Rocky, I'd say Daredevil, realizing you've never followed a Marvel character ever.

For Krypton Kid, also Daredevil.

For Anita, you're right on with Avengers Academy. I think you'd also really enjoy Journey into Mystery.

Peebz, I'm surprised you're not reading Daredevil! It's awesome. You read Journey into Mystery, right? That's Marvel's other best series.

Quis, I think X-Factor is right in your sweet spot.

This guesswork is based on a complex algorithm that I know will be 100% accurate should you try these comics. I'm also good at predicting what kissing style would work best for you.

#473081 03/12/12 10:24 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
Daredevil, my friends, is a Marvel you should try.
nod

#473082 03/12/12 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Power Boy:
[b]I've never bought a Marvel super-hero book. Ever. When I was a kid I read a few of licensed properties published by Marvel, but that was it. I've been given an odd issue, but I've never bought one.
Every human needs to read some Claremont X-Men from it's heyday. smile [/b]
I'll second that, and add Peter David's Hulk from its heyday. And if you don't like the Hulk, that's all the more reason to read it, because PAD was no Hulk fan when he started writing the book, so he deconstructed the concept and found lots of fresh new angles. It's akin to what Alan Moore did with Swamp Thing, I'm not exagerting. If you liked PAD's Aquaman, and/or Supergirl, and/or Young Justice, you'll love his Hulk.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#473083 03/12/12 12:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hmm. I do trust Cobie's knowledge of my comic taste.

Even though I cringe at the very idea of buying a comic called "WOLVERINE and the X-Men" (**CRINGE** --how dare that overexposed furball get billing over the entire team--) ...I will try it.

But the first time Wolverine's membership in the Avengers is referenced, my reaction could turn deadly...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#473084 03/12/12 01:23 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I think you'll like how Wolverine is portrayed. Understated, and recognizing strengths & potential in others. But he's only a minor aspect of the series so far.

The real reason you'll LOVE the series are the students and the X-Men used in teaching roles.

#473085 03/12/12 03:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Peebz, I'm surprised you're not reading Daredevil! It's awesome. You read Journey into Mystery, right? That's Marvel's other best series.
well ... you may be disappointed but I'm going in and out depending on the art. frown

It seems to be getting better again though. Such a great book!

The issue with the pups was incredible though! It wasn't even about anything but was just so entertaining!

I will check out this Daredevil everyone's talking about!

#473086 03/12/12 03:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Power Boy:
[b]I've never bought a Marvel super-hero book. Ever. When I was a kid I read a few of licensed properties published by Marvel, but that was it. I've been given an odd issue, but I've never bought one.
Every human needs to read some Claremont X-Men from it's heyday. smile [/b]
... AND Penguins of course !!! shocked

#473087 03/12/12 03:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MLLASH's *glare*:
Hmm. I do trust Cobie's knowledge of my comic taste.

Even though I cringe at the very idea of buying a comic called "WOLVERINE and the X-Men" (**CRINGE** --how dare that overexposed furball get billing over the entire team--) ...I will try it.

But the first time Wolverine's membership in the Avengers is referenced, my reaction could turn deadly...
I know I know ... me too .... that's exactly what I was thinking ... more Wolvie madness ... I was thinking I would actually not get this book ....

BUT it's actually really good and almost focuses on Kitty Pryde, Beast, and Ice Man as much as Wolverine. Not to mention the students and Rachel Grey.

I think Aaron did his research because this Wolverine seems like the Wolvie from the end of Claremont's reign where he had mentored several members like Rogue, Kitty, and Jubilee and was a shoulder for Storm during her leadership.

not just another n@ss with claws.

#473088 03/12/12 05:32 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've never really understood the 'only DC' or 'nothing but Marvel' thing. I buy books because I like the characters, or occasionally the setting, or even more occasionally because of the artist or the writer.

Either publisher chosen eliminates a chunk of good to great titles. Why limit what's available?

#473089 03/12/12 08:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I think you'll like how Wolverine is portrayed. Understated, and recognizing strengths & potential in others. But he's only a minor aspect of the series so far.

The real reason you'll LOVE the series are the students and the X-Men used in teaching roles.
Yep...agreed. I recommend.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#473090 03/13/12 02:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Since we're all talking about the X-Men, I currently collect 0.0 X-men titles and haven't for years, which is a shame because I was a Claremont/Byrne child (although through back-issue bins) I'll pop in once in awhile to see if it holds any interest, (that Cyclops v. Wolverine series being the last time) but the various relaunches never hold my interest.

On a way side note, I only got into the X-Men in the first place in a reverse-promotion kinda way where the X-Men guest starred in "ROM". I'm sure they were trying to get people interested in "ROM" by having the merry Marvel mutants show up, but it went the other way for me.

#473091 03/23/12 08:38 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Since a few of us have been doing a bit of a 'rating' system in the DCnU thread, I thought I'd do a rating one for Marvel, since I still collect a good amount of their comics. Just to give a sense of my own opinions on their line and see if others have similar ones:

<span style="font-size: 14px;">Loving</span>
Daredevil
Captain American & ____
Journey into Mystery
Amazing Spider-Man
Venom
Wolverine and the X-Men
Thunderbolts (about to become Dark Avengers)
Moon Knight (ending)

<span style="font-size: 14px;">Enjoying</span>
Captain America
Winter Soldier
Thor
Fantastic Four
FF
Secret Avengers – (new creative team, still unsure)
Uncanny X-Men
X-Men
X-Men Legacy

<span style="font-size: 14px;">Borderline</span>
Invincible Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Avenging Spider-Man
Avengers
New Avengers
Uncanny X-Force

Do not collect
Hulk
Avengers Academy
Avengers Assemble
Defenders
Scarlet Spider
Punisher
Punisher MAX
Deadpool
Deadpool MAX
Wolverine
Astonishing X-Men
New Mutants
Generation Hope
X-Factor
Age of Apocalypse
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate X-Men
Ultimates

*The X-Men books have had a major resurgence in the last few months. The four “main” X-Men series have all been very good, with Wolvie & the X-Men being one of the best series out there.
*The Captain America books are starting to languish outside of the surprisingly fantastic Captain America & ____
*The Thor series are both good right now: Thor is a solid, strong read and JiM is one of the best comic books out there.
*Amazing Spider-Man is the best its been in 25 years, and Venom is so shockingly good that I still cant’ believe I’m buying and loving a Venom comic.
*The Avengers series are for the most part in need of a desperate change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,553
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Annoying Lad, DanteSF, Daulton Tripman, lancesrealm
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star