Roll Call
0 members (), 32 Murran Spies, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My New Comics, Jan 9
#474835 01/09/04 12:35 PM
Reservist
OP Offline
Reservist
Lotsa spoilers...

Plastic Man #2 [4/10]
---
Plastic Man gets a new partner who abhors him. As they go on a wild goose chase, someone makes the connection that Eel O'Brien is actually Plastic Man. Woozy Winks embarks on a crime-fighting career.

Lots of visual gags as expected from Plastic Man, but I think I'll just get the next 2 chapters of this story arc then I'm done. Great Kyle baker artwork though.

JSA #56 (Black reign Part 1/6) [8/10]
---
Black Adam goes back to his birthland with a super-powered team in tow composed of Atom-Smasher, Northwind, Nemesis, Brainwave and Eclipso. They brutally retake the country from an evil despot.

This is the starting point for Black Reign and it was a great read. It's setting up to become something of a debate about which "super-heroing" is better, proactive or reactive? I like this darker story arc as it examines the good arguments behind teams like the Authority. It's something of a morality play to, and that;s always interesting to watch. Great art by Kramer!

Supreme Power #6 [9/10]
---
First meetings between Hyperion & Blur and Hyperion & Nighthawk.

I really like this incarnation of Squadron Supreme! JMS does a mighty fine job of giving us the lowdown on Hype & Blur. Gary Frank's art is superb! This book just keeps getting better and better.

Igee The Mighty!
Re: My New Comics, Jan 9
#474836 01/10/04 01:02 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Igee The Mighty:
Plastic Man #2 [4/10]
I thought this issue was MUCH better than #1. Based on this issue, I might stick around for awhile. I had been contemplating dropping the book after reading the first issue.

I thought this issue was very well done. I am looking forward to the next issue!

Supreme Power #6 [9/10]
I really missed the boat on this series. I'll have to try and make room in the budget for any tpb collecting the first arc.

#474837 01/12/04 11:50 AM
Reservist
OP Offline
Reservist
re: Plastic Man

yup, #2 was way better, but it just doesn't hit the right notes with me.

re: Supreme Power

there's a tpb coming in march, iirc, so it's never too late to hop on.

Igee The Mighty!
#474838 01/12/04 11:53 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
[b]Supreme Power #6 [9/10]
I really missed the boat on this series. I'll have to try and make room in the budget for any tpb collecting the first arc.[/b]
If you can't get the TPB Duke, let me know and I'll get you an electronic copy of the first 6 issues.

#474839 01/12/04 11:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
[b]Plastic Man #2 [4/10]
I thought this issue was MUCH better than #1. Based on this issue, I might stick around for awhile. I had been contemplating dropping the book after reading the first issue.
[/b]
I had similar thoughts.

I think Baker's choice for the #1 issue is really going to hurt this book's chances in the long run.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#474840 01/13/04 12:18 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Well, the second arc for Plas will cure it or kill it... Baker's parodying everything else...
http://www.newsarama.com/forums/printthread.php?threadid=4442
What happens when you mix the one (continuity over character) and the other (don’t do much in an issue) lesson together?

“We’re going to do a three or four issue story arc where as characters show up we go along the lines of, ‘It’s Hal Jordan! I can’t believe it! Remember when we went to Mars and talked to the Martian Manhunter?’ and then we’ll show that. Then we’ll have a friend be a villain because their mind is being controlled. But that’s the kind of story it will be – Plastic Man will meet up with another hero, and say something like, ‘Didn’t we fight Lex Luthor together?’ Flashback. And then someone like Catwoman will show up and say, ‘I hate Lex Luthor for what he did to me!’ Flashback.”
“I worry though – it seems that only one kind of comic book will work anymore. But hey, if that’s the one kind of comic book that works, that’s the kind of comic book I’ll do. If you don’t like the first three or four issues, the next arc will be right up their alley. I already have my Alex Ross style drawing done – Plastic Man standing there, not using his powers. That seems to be very popular, so that’s what I’m going to do.”

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#474841 01/17/04 11:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Black Reign is starting off really well. Black Adam seems truly menacing and it looks like the tension between him and Atom Smasher will be a key point in the arc. Adam definitely reminded me of Kid Miracleman what with the added blood and gore during the attack on those soldiers.

I'm not a fan of Northwind and I can't imagine his fans are happy with his transformation, but he certainly looks eerie especially since he can no longer speak.

Adam's appraisal and rundown of his team was nicely written and makes me eager to see the big showdown.

Has anyone picked up the Hawkman part of this yet? I'd be curious to know if that's any good or if it's very relevant to the main story.

#474842 01/18/04 03:14 PM
Active
Active
Hawkman #23 really doesn't have much to do with "Black Reign". Only the last two pages are related to the overall story.

SPOILERS AHEAD

This was mostly a JSA issue as they are featured spending down time in St. Roch. (IS it me or is it always Carnival time there?) It's mostly just characterization, but the one action scene sees Hawkman literally teraing apart Matter Master. On the last page, the team sees the action in Khandaq (sp?) and Hawkman declares himself the new leader of the team in order to better face this new crisis. The art looks terrific as Rags's art usually does.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,114
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Querl Dox
Querl Dox
Saline, Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star