Roll Call
2 members (Erick Quinones, Erick Quinones, Alexander, Erick Quinones, Erick Quinones, Erick Quinones), 50 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 12:16 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 12:16 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:57 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 21 1 2 18 19 20 21
Re: MadroX and X-Factor Investigations
Reboot #886634 01/31/16 09:58 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Ficque, about Messiah Complex again....do Jamie and Layla (and/or the X-Factor crew) figure in throughout the crossover or just in the X-Factor issues?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Reboot #886635 01/31/16 11:31 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
IIRC, some members of X-Factor do appear in other Messiah Complex tie-ins. Jamie definitely, Layla I'm not so sure. Hope that helps.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Reboot #886640 01/31/16 12:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah. I guess I'm still kinda determining whether I should get the whole shebang as opposed to just the X-Factor chapters. Sounds like the whole thing still.

Reboot #886645 01/31/16 01:28 PM
The second X-Factor omnibus volume contains a plot summary of the Messiah Complex event, if you would prefer that. But I do think it's worth reading the whole thing to get a better impression of how it shakes up the X-Factor team.

Reboot #896131 05/05/16 03:04 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Fick, as of yesterday, I have the complete run of PAD's X-Factor from the Madrox LS thru 262! Don't know when I'll start the read/re-read, but I'll let you know and, of course, post some thoughts here......

Reboot #896133 05/05/16 03:13 PM
YAY!!

I look forward to it, Lardy! nod

Lard Lad #966296 01/26/19 09:48 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Paladin
Fick, as of yesterday, I have the complete run of PAD's X-Factor from the Madrox LS thru 262! Don't know when I'll start the read/re-read, but I'll let you know and, of course, post some thoughts here......

Just started my long-promised X-Factor project! Already read the Madrox mini (Volume 0) and have read most of Volume 1! Thoughts to come.....

Lard Lad #966299 01/26/19 03:45 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar

Just started my long-promised X-Factor project! Already read the Madrox mini (Volume 0) and have read most of Volume 1! Thoughts to come.....

What wonderful news! Thanks, Lardy!

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Cobalt Kid #966310 01/26/19 10:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So, just to clarify what I'm embarking on here, my X-Factor reading project will eventually encompass the entirety of Peter David's (a.k.a. PAD) second run on X-Factor, which includes the Madrox: Multiple Choice mini-series, all 113 issues of that X-Factor series, a few specials and the Messiah CompleX crossover event off the top of my head. I'm not including his first 20-issue run on the first volume of X-Factor nor his 20-issue All-New X-Factor relaunch that followed this one. I may at some point do those as well, if the mood strikes. My reviews may be short or comprehensive, depending on what I have to say about each trade, which is how I will group the reviews even if I read them as individual issues. Commentary and discussion are more than welcome!

This will be very interesting for me because I've read some portions of the run before and will be reading many portions for the first time--the latter category is particularly, but not limited to, the final 50+ issues! So please refrain from spoilers!

ONWARD!

Last edited by Paladin; 01/26/19 10:36 PM.

Cobalt Kid #966313 01/26/19 10:34 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
X-Factor Vol. 0: Madrox: Multiple Choice

I don't feel that any reading of the 3rd series of X-Factor would be complete without reading the Madrox mini that preceded it. Here, PAD sets up the premise of Jamie Madrox running a detective agency in the middle of the fictional "Mutant Town" neighborhood of New York. Along to help are Guido "Strong Guy" Carosela and Rahne "Wolfsbane" Sinclair. Along with Jamie, they are returnees from PAD's original X-Factor line-up. The main plot of the series follows the murder of one of Jamie's dupes, and Jamie following the dupe's trail to Chicago in order to solve the mystery. The "B" plot follows Rahne, Guido and another of Jamie's dupes handling an amusing case of an apparent love affair via astral projection.

I'm not going to go into all the plot twists, except to say that it is an entertaining noir take-off with some of the familiar trappings of the genre, like a femme fatale and some first-person narration. The more important aspect of the book to me is PAD's deft use of characterization and his hinting at the depths and potential of Jamie Madrox's character and the imaginative twists on his power and the unforeseen consequences. Basically, PAD did when I originally read this trade many years ago and does now make me a fan of Jamie Madrox and the unbelievable and limitless potential of the character. Knowing Jamie stars in this series from start to finish is a huge draw for me in revisiting and finishing this series. I only hope that PAD pays off that potential across the breadth of this lengthy run.

Overall, I'd recommend this trade to anyone looking for a self-contained tale and feel like it still holds considerable entertainment value. While self-contained, it nonetheless sets up the basic premise for the X-Factor revival that follows very well.

Lard Lad #966348 01/27/19 01:10 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
X-Factor Vol. 0: Madrox: Multiple Choice

I don't feel that any reading of the 3rd series of X-Factor would be complete without reading the Madrox mini that preceded it.

Agreed. It's essential reading, especially for readers who don't like to jump into a story in medias res and then fill in the blanks on their own.

I'm not going to go into all the plot twists, except to say that it is an entertaining noir take-off with some of the familiar trappings of the genre, like a femme fatale and some first-person narration. The more important aspect of the book to me is PAD's deft use of characterization and his hinting at the depths and potential of Jamie Madrox's character and the imaginative twists on his power and the unforeseen consequences. Basically, PAD did when I originally read this trade many years ago and does now make me a fan of Jamie Madrox and the unbelievable and limitless potential of the character.

Yes, proving once again that there are no bad characters, only bad writing. PAD has proven that quite often over the decades, but he's not always given the credit he deserves. There would never have been the hit Aquaman revival from earlier this decade, much less the recent Aquaman live action movie, without PAD's Aquaman run (especially the first 26 issues.) I was pleased to see PAD report recently via his blog that he does get a Special Thanks during the movie's end crawl, and that when he went to the movie's premiere, Geoff Johns personally complimented his Aquaman run. Better late than never.

I also want to mention a guy whom I consider The Unsung Hero of this X-Factor run: Andy Schmidt, the editor of the Madrox mini and the first 24 issues of the ongoing. PAD has credited the success of the run to Andy's belief in the project and tenacity at pushing it through Marvel's higher-ups. Andy was One of the Good Ones (he also helmed the first "Annihilation" event storyline,) and while I'm happy for him that he's been able to reinvent himself as a freelance writer, I still wish his editing career had been far longer and more prolific.

Cobalt Kid #966356 01/27/19 03:43 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Aside: I was just reading a blog regarding the departure of Claremont from X-Men and Harras going with the artists over the writers, regardless not so much of quality as an ability to hit a deadline. One point from one of the writers at the time was the shift form writers well...writing the series to the editors dictating the storylines and outcomes with the writers becoming scripting robots. One mentioned wondering why the editors weren't writers since they were plotting he books they had editorial control over. The first blogs I read with quotes were representative of both sides. Peter David's X-Factor run was mentioned as being part of that change in approach.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ann Hebistand #966357 01/27/19 03:56 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand

I don't feel that any reading of the 3rd series of X-Factor would be complete without reading the Madrox mini that preceded it.
Agreed. It's essential reading, especially for readers who don't like to jump into a story in medias res and then fill in the blanks on their own.

Yep! Now, technically, there's nothing you absolutely MUST know about the mini to enjoy the ongoing because it does do a good job of being immediately accessible. And I suppose the shock ending of X-Factor #1 is less shocking if you've read Multiple Choice. More than anything, I think it is simultaneously an entertaining prelude and a satisfying self-contained adventure. But I can't imagine ever recommending skipping it to anyone trying out this iteration of X-Factor.

I'm not going to go into all the plot twists, except to say that it is an entertaining noir take-off with some of the familiar trappings of the genre, like a femme fatale and some first-person narration. The more important aspect of the book to me is PAD's deft use of characterization and his hinting at the depths and potential of Jamie Madrox's character and the imaginative twists on his power and the unforeseen consequences. Basically, PAD did when I originally read this trade many years ago and does now make me a fan of Jamie Madrox and the unbelievable and limitless potential of the character.

Yes, proving once again that there are no bad characters, only bad writing. PAD has proven that quite often over the decades, but he's not always given the credit he deserves. There would never have been the hit Aquaman revival from earlier this decade, much less the recent Aquaman live action movie, without PAD's Aquaman run (especially the first 26 issues.) I was pleased to see PAD report recently via his blog that he does get a Special Thanks during the movie's end crawl, and that when he went to the movie's premiere, Geoff Johns personally complimented his Aquaman run. Better late than never.

I also want to mention a guy whom I consider The Unsung Hero of this X-Factor run: Andy Schmidt, the editor of the Madrox mini and the first 24 issues of the ongoing. PAD has credited the success of the run to Andy's belief in the project and tenacity at pushing it through Marvel's higher-ups. Andy was One of the Good Ones (he also helmed the first "Annihilation" event storyline,) and while I'm happy for him that he's been able to reinvent himself as a freelance writer, I still wish his editing career had been far longer and more prolific.

I don't think anything significant had been done with Madrox prior to PAD's arrival on his first iteration of X-Factor. There was his first appearance and then his being a fixture at Muir Island. I gather he was used in the interim between PAD's runs, and I can't really judge those efforts, not having read them. But he may have forever stayed on the sidelines without PAD's influence. And, of course, with the groundbreaking work on PAD's second run, Marvel couldn't keep the character down long (despite killing him off in some stupid post-PAD X-event). The recent Multiple Man mini has gotten considerable acclaim, and any idiot should know who provided that writer's muse.

And PAD easily did more for Aquaman than anyone had in ages, if ever. Credit where it's deserved!

Thnaks, also, for the info on Andy Schmidt. You always hear about shitty editors but rarely when they are really good.

thoth lad #966358 01/27/19 04:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Aside: I was just reading a blog regarding the departure of Claremont from X-Men and Harras going with the artists over the writers, regardless not so much of quality as an ability to hit a deadline. One point from one of the writers at the time was the shift form writers well...writing the series to the editors dictating the storylines and outcomes with the writers becoming scripting robots. One mentioned wondering why the editors weren't writers since they were plotting he books they had editorial control over. The first blogs I read with quotes were representative of both sides. Peter David's X-Factor run was mentioned as being part of that change in approach.

You mean a change BACK from that editorial/artist control? It's impossible to see PAD's second run being dictated to him (with some exceptions, of course, like the crossovers).

Cobalt Kid #966361 01/27/19 04:32 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Yep! Now, technically, there's nothing you absolutely MUST know about the mini to enjoy the ongoing because it does do a good job of being immediately accessible. And I suppose the shock ending of X-Factor #1 is less shocking if you've read Multiple Choice. More than anything, I think it is simultaneously an entertaining prelude and a satisfying self-contained adventure. But I can't imagine ever recommending skipping it to anyone trying out this iteration of X-Factor.

Thanks, Lardy, for elaborating on and clarifying my comment. You found the words that weren't coming to me at that moment.

Thanks, also, for the info on Andy Schmidt. You always hear about shitty editors but rarely when they are really good.

You're very welcome. The last time I went to a convention, the craziness was worth it for three things: seeing PAD for the first time in years, meeting Sara Pichelli, and shaking Peter Tomasi's hand. Tomasi was another One of the Good Ones, and my thoughts on Andy's switch from editor to writer apply to him as well.

RE: Thoth's aside about the Claremont vs Harras controversy and its repercussions, I've been meaning to do a long post about just that, because I've had a couple chatroom discussions about it recently. Thanks, Thoth. What I will say here is that the brevity of PAD's 1st run on X-Factor, from back when Harras was the X-Books' editor, was entirely down to Harras' heavy-handed approach. PAD has confirmed this publicly more than once.

Ann Hebistand #966362 01/27/19 04:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L

RE: Thoth's aside about the Claremont vs Harras controversy and its repercussions, I've been meaning to do a long post about just that, because I've had a couple chatroom discussions about it recently. Thanks, Thoth. What I will say here is that the brevity of PAD's 1st run on X-Factor, from back when Harras was the X-Books' editor, was entirely down to Harras' heavy-handed approach. PAD has confirmed this publicly more than once.

Oh, okay. So thoth's post was really about the first run. I guess that's why, though it's certainly worth revisiting, it pales in comparison to the 2nd run.

Cobalt Kid #966368 01/27/19 05:21 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
X-Factor Vol. 1: The Longest Night

Collecting issues 1-6, this volume effectively sets up the group's new status quo as both a special detective agency and as Mutant Town's guardians in the wake of House of M/Decimation, which has occurred in the time between Vols 0 & 1. X-Factor expands its roster to also include Siryn, Rictor (now powerless in the wake of the Decimation), Monet and Layla Miller, and they are immediately set against Singularity Investigations, who emerge as their opposite number and their antagonists for a while. The two organizations are immediately set against each other with two murders that both have stakes in.

The first 4 issues are basically their own arc and resolve X-Factor's initial investigation-turned-murder, but leave things up in the air with Singularity. Singularity delivers a brutal retaliation at the end of issue 4 for X-Factor's small victory, and issue 5 delivers a tense ordeal for Siryn and a heroic moment for Rictor.

I think there are two sequences that define this first trade. The first is issue one's legendary ledge sequence in which the powerless Rictor contemplates taking his own life. The "shock" ending illustrates the complexity of Madrox, whom I would characterize as the series' central character. Moreover, I feel that what could have been a cliche idea that we've seen a million times before rises above the stereotypes with Rictor's explanation of his despair and with the layers the scenario adds to Jamie as a character.

The other big sequence is the entirety of issue 6, which mostly centers around Layla Miller and gives considerable insight into her character while also deepening her mystery. She can certainly come off annoying at times and there are echoes of the wise, precocious child trope, but this issue certainly made me a fan of her character, even if we aren't, like Rictor, entirely willing to trust her yet. I love this issue, and it is my favorite of the series to this point, even though and because it features no "superhero" action.

(Another runner-up sequence also involves Layla when an assailant invades the X-Factor brownstone, and her curious ability to "know things" is demonstrated effectively in a dangerous situation.)

This was a VERY strong beginning to the proper book that, I feel, does everything it needs to draw the reader into its world. Aided by some moody yet clear art by Ryan Sook and Dennis Calero, I don't see how anyone wouldn't want to see what happens next--I certainly did, then and now!

Cobalt Kid #966369 01/27/19 05:37 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Probably the main one I read was on this Uncanny X-Men site. The PAD things are in the bottom third.

I have seen a TPB of the second volume in the library network. I certainly thought the few issues of his first run were a cut above a lot of other Marvel books at the time. And if vol 2 is better...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #966383 01/27/19 07:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by thoth lad

I have seen a TPB of the second volume in the library network. I certainly thought the few issues of his first run were a cut above a lot of other Marvel books at the time. And if vol 2 is better...

Well, I've decided from the beginning to read one ahead before reviewing each TPB (probably started so I could read further without pause, but has evolved into a good way of getting some perspective as I go), so I've already finished 2 while being into 3 already. As a sneak preview, I don't know if Vol. 2 is "better" than 1, but it's still really good. Vol. 3, by the way, is REALLY doing it for me so far!

Cobalt Kid #966394 01/27/19 10:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
X-Factor Vol. 2: Life & Death Matters

Collecting issues 7-12, this volume consists of 3 stories that, of course, all advance the ongoing narrative.

Issue 7 is probably the strongest individual issue of the bunch. Being the only standalone, this would make sense. The co-stars are Jamie and Terry who each act (mostly, in Terry's case) solo as the issue shifts focus back-and-forth between the two, a technique that PAD will reuse. Jamie is invited to Singularity HQ and learns more about himself in the process as he rejects their job offer. Terry is confronted with the news of the death of her father and chooses to be in denial. (Who can blame her with comic book deaths, right?)

Issues 8 & 9 cross over with Marvel's Civil War event, but Pad uses the issues really well to solidify X-Factor's role as defenders of Mutant Town. Also Quicksilver rejoins the cast (referring to his membership in PAD's previous X-factor iteration) but as more of a peripheral character or guest star as he spins off from his post-House of M status as a flawed mutant messiah.

10-12 bring things to a head with Singularity as X-Factor attempts to help one of Singularity's employees take them down, and all hell breaks loose. One of X-Factor's members is compromised in a vicious way, and X-Factor must find another way to bring Singularity down. In the process, the secret of Damien Tryp(s) is exposed and X-Factor achieves a significant and seemingly permanent victory over their foes.

Typically, there are some great character bits sprinkled thru the whole volume. Jamie's most noteworthy dupe from issue 1 makes a reappearance and takes assertive and shocking action once again (asserting again that he is the true "x-factor"). Layla uses her abilities once again in a very clever manner to take away Singularity's biggest leverage over our heroes. Guido has a shocking development that will be dealt with more in the next volume. Rahne, Monet and Rictor are all solid but are more in supporting roles this go-round, but there is a tryst involving Jamie and (separately) Monet and Terry that will have consequences to come.

I think it's apparent that I liked 7 the best. PAD can do more with talking heads issues than Brian Michael Bendis ever dreamed he could, but I especially liked the revelations about what Jamie's true nature might be and the hints about villain Damien Tryp. I also like Sean Cassidy, and it's nice seeing him paid tribute here, even if his daughter is resistant to the idea.

The Civil War tie-in, once again, is used by PAD to make it work for his story, rather than the opposite. That's a big positive. But I'm not enjoying Pietro's inclusion and what I've seen of his new role at this point. I'm glad, though, that he is not a full cast member. In a way Monet has taken what was formerly his place by being the team's resident ice queen, and she's a lot more interesting and has more depth than Pietro ever had. His new ability to restore powers to the disempowered mutants is weird and with its mostly screwy effects, it's hard to see former mutants finding it appealing. I guess, though, his role as a flawed messiah in a now-mostly mutantless Mutant Town works. But I'm glad his role isn't central among the cast.

The concluding 3-parter is pretty darn satisfying, even if the ending seems sudden. I mean, it doesn't come from nowhere, as this "x-factor" has been clearly established. But the true nature of the Tryps is interesting, as is their motivation. And the ending insures that we haven't seen the last of Damien Tryp nor of the mystery of Layla.

So, to answer thoth's query, I don't know if Vol. 2 is necessarily "better" than Vol. 1. What it is is a really worthy continuation of what PAD started and adds more world-building and a satisfying conclusion to the first year of X-Factor. We have what will prove to be a carousel of artists that will never stabilize for long throughout the book's run, but Olivetti, calero and Arlem all do commendable jobs that are consistent with the tone of the stories and the artistic blueprints set up in Vols. 0 & 1. Expressive faces and clear storytelling with a hint of shading characterize the art and give it a level of consistency, so I have no complaints to this point.

Cobalt Kid #966412 01/28/19 06:07 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
X-Factor vol 0 Madrox
I have heard of Peter David of course but I have rarely knowing read much of his work. Wow have I been missing out.

I read the recent Multiple Man mini series as it came out and found it very entertaining and thought it was an imaginative approach to the character. But now, having just read Peter David's min, the recent one is still good but it pales in comparison because this was REALLY good. Boy did I enjoy it. wonderful story, wonderful characterisation and really interesting exploration of the consequences of his powers. Very much looking forward to the rest of the series.

Interestingly just the other day I was reading Peter David's introduction to the first volume of his Hulk run. He tells how he was on the sales side of Marvel, and the writer/editorial side and the sales side didn't really mix. The only reason he got the Hulk gig was because the current writer was leaving and no-one else wanted it. Bob Harris approached him and He almost didn't take it because characterisation was the interesting bit for him so he thought a character who spoke in grunts and nothing else didn't appeal, but once he realised that the last story had split off the grunty hulk and now he could bring back a somewhat intelligent gray hulk he thought there was something to work with. Years later and no-one remembers him as the interfering sales guy. Amazing to think that if that single approach hadn't been made we might not have had all his wonderful work.

Cobalt Kid #967026 02/10/19 11:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
X-Factor Vol. 3: Many Lives of Madrox

This one collects issues 13-17 and comprises, what I feel anyway, the strongest volume yet. I think the main reason is that PAD really doubles down on the characterization of his core cast here and makes them all shine brighter than ever before.

Issue 13, "Re-X-Aminations", really exemplifies this best as Marvel's resident head-shrinker Doc Samson interviews our cast in the wake of the last volume's traumatic events. It is a sequel to a similar issue PAD did during his original X-Factor run with Samson serving the same role. Every session is revelatory in some way for each character and sets up events to come. It is quiet, character-focused issues like this that define PAD's X-Factor in its level of quality going forward, and this one tops the others that I've already noted in previous reviews.

There are two more character-focused issues in this volume, making it an embarrassment of riches. Issue 14 deals with the fallout of some of the revelations of 13, exemplified perfectly in how 13 features a nice poster-worthy group shot of the team while 14 features them at each other's throats. Jamie owns up to having two-timed Monet and Terri with reactions both hilarious and very human. Even better is the sequence where Guido, with Rahne's assistance, sets out to right a wrong that Tryp wrought on him last volume with very affecting results that color his character for me. And there are two seriously fun 2-pagers, one featuring Jamie and Rictor and spit takes and the other featuring Layla trying to mend fences between Monet and Terri.

You know what? Shit, 14 may have been just as good or better than 13!

Issue 15 headlines the resolution of a cliffhanger from 14 involving Jamie being kidnapped by Hydra, mistaking him for his dupe who works with SHIELD. It's a pretty good issue that sheds more light on the extent of his abilities and the diversity of his dupes, while also furthering an idea Jamie got from his sessions with Samson--that he feels the need to reabsorb all of his dupes for him to feel whole. Meanwhile, Terri and Monet are bonding and have their own adventure that runs thru next issue and continues the series' themes on the mutant plight in the process.

Issue 16 is the third character-focused issue in the volume, its lead story introducing another of Jamie's dupes, who has started a family of his own and is the preacher at a small town church. Jamie is determined to continue reuniting with his stray dupes, but his resolve is challenged by this version of him who is determined to continue autonomously. It's a strong story that is even stronger when this dupe is revisited later in the series after prime Jamie suffers a personal loss. .

Finally, issue 17 sets up a conflict with a group called the X-Cell, who are depowered mutants looking to take a militant stand to protect and further themselves. This brings in government beaurocrat Val Cooper, whom X-factor used to work for in its previous incarnation, and sets up the main conflict in the first half of Volume 4.

13, 14 & 16 are some of the best issues of the series to date and for a while to come in the enrichment of the characters and how they set up things to come for all of them. I just can't imagine anyone reading this series from the beginning and not just falling in love with these issues and how they drive the book forward. The other two issues are good, but these are touchstones for the book's identity and the highlights of this volume.

Pablo Raimondi does the majority of the artwork this volume (as he did Vol. 0 and most of Vol. 2), and he is one of the best artists of the series to date. His clarity and gift with facial expressions are much appreciated and strike the perfect note. X-Factor will be blessed and cursed with a revolving door of artists, but Pablo deserves a lot of credit for both the volume and quality of his work that helped define its look.

(Now, I've read significantly ahead at this point, but I am/was excited because Vol. 4 begins a stretch of X-Factor I've never read before and am eager to get to talking about!)

Cobalt Kid #967082 02/11/19 08:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Oh, as an addendum to the Vol. 3 review, I thought it worth mentioning that it was the contents of this volume that brought me thoroughly onboard with each central member of our cast. Before this point in this project, I mostly thought of the book as "Jamie & His Crew", but the way PAD fleshes all of them out here really makes me love each and every one of them. I still might lean a little toward Jamie being my favorite, but Terri, Monet, Guido, Ric, Rahne and even mysterious little Layla all become friends that I want to see more of after these stories.

Sadly, it makes it much harder when we soon lose two of them from the cast, at least for a time (one much longer than the other). It also makes me dread a little the infusion of new cast members that will come in the wake of these losses. We'll see how PAD pulls this off, but this core 7 is lights-out and will continue to be so while they are still together.

But, of course, I'm getting ahead of myself......

stile86 #967236 02/15/19 08:35 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by stile86
X-Factor vol 0 Madrox
I have heard of Peter David of course but I have rarely knowing read much of his work. Wow have I been missing out.

I read the recent Multiple Man mini series as it came out and found it very entertaining and thought it was an imaginative approach to the character. But now, having just read Peter David's min, the recent one is still good but it pales in comparison because this was REALLY good. Boy did I enjoy it. wonderful story, wonderful characterisation and really interesting exploration of the consequences of his powers. Very much looking forward to the rest of the series.

I'm sure it's no surprise that I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of what Peter David did with Madrox. I also hope you can see from my further reviews of X-Factor that the mini is far from the end of his brilliant work on the character. With that and my assurance that the rest of the cast is also greatly developed, I hope you'll consider exploring beyond volume 0!

As for the recent Multiple Man mini, I know that it got some attention, and I intend to either get it as back issues or as a trade because I love the character(s) so much. I'm curious to see to what degree, if any, it addresses PAD's work on the character. But I'll read it with a fairly open mind, regardless. I'm secretly kinda glad, though, that you think PAD's take is better. Too often, it seems people forget about the prior work on a character when the next hot take comes out.

Lard Lad #967311 02/17/19 05:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by stile86
X-Factor vol 0 Madrox

I'm sure it's no surprise that I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of what Peter David did with Madrox. I also hope you can see from my further reviews of X-Factor that the mini is far from the end of his brilliant work on the character. With that and my assurance that the rest of the cast is also greatly developed, I hope you'll consider exploring beyond volume 0!

As for the recent Multiple Man mini, I know that it got some attention, and I intend to either get it as back issues or as a trade because I love the character(s) so much. I'm curious to see to what degree, if any, it addresses PAD's work on the character. But I'll read it with a fairly open mind, regardless. I'm secretly kinda glad, though, that you think PAD's take is better. Too often, it seems people forget about the prior work on a character when the next hot take comes out.

I fully intend to read further into the series, hopefully soon, just a little busy at the moment but it will happen. Thanks again for your reviews and recommendation or I might have missed it.

As for the recent series, I did quite enjoy it but it is quite different to PAD's take. If you read the recent comparing it to PAD's work I think you might find it disappointing, but if you are able to separate it and read it in its own light hopefully you will find it entertaining.

Page 20 of 21 1 2 18 19 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,244
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
JackMythos
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Querl Dox
Querl Dox
Saline, Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star