Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/18/24 10:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/18/24 10:43 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:48 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:48 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:47 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:47 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/17/24 09:00 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Avengers: The Initiative
#480694 04/09/07 09:55 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Am I the only one who was unimpressed by this? Superhero boot camp just left me cold. And I hate this metahuman paramilitary thing that the Marvel Universe is going with these days. And what's wrong with some of these superheroes? I mean, I can see how some of the Avengers would have been ok with registration, but how many times in the past have the Avengers broken their government ties due to their trying to run the team? And now they are acting like a branch of the military? I'm just not feeling it.

I miss the old Marvel U, when heroes were just heroes, and not part of some form of government militia.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
Re: Avengers: The Initiative
#480695 04/09/07 10:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
There were a couple of mentions here . Myself I'm just not interested in anything Avengers unless it is picking up some of the older collections.

#480696 04/09/07 11:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I actually liked it. I was a big fan of GIJoe as a kid and this reminded meof that.

I know I've been asking why Marvel superheroes are not run by the government since I was a kid. I never asked that about DC characters cause it didn't matter. At Marvel since they are more "grounded" (I guess)I've always asked that. A superhero goverment team can still be fun I think. And while I hated Civil War it did ask and answer those questions I've always had.

I really enjoyed this issue. Got to see some Avengers as supporting characters. (Dr. Pym, Hank, Rage, Triathlong, Justice)

Ofcourse MVP was my favorite. Don't care for the others save Cloud 9.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">What makes me a bit confused is the killing of MVP. Everybody loves a winner. I was a tall athletic kid so I guess I always related to those characters not the shy bookworm type. We need more jocks in comics! Everyone wants to be Bouncing Boy these days. wink </span></span>

#480697 04/09/07 12:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Copying what I said in the Dan Slott thread:

I bought my first AVENGERS comic today since that wretched "Disassembled" crapfest, AVENGERS THE INITIATIVE # 1.

I bought it for one and only one reason: Slott listed on the cover as writer.

I'm concerned that not even Slott could make me like what THE AVENGERS have become... This better not freakin' suck!

Well, I've read it now and I agree that MVP was my favorite. I don't think they're done with him yet.

It was okay but this odd new MARVEL where mutants have all lost their powers and superheroes are all government agents or else they're villains isn't shaping up to be a happy place.

I'll trust Slott for now and give him 3-6 issues to hook me.

All in all, # 1 was pretty okay... I'm interested in Komodo's backstory.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#480698 04/09/07 12:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm not too keen on the whole superhero registering thing either. It's like a big allegory for what happens when formerly carefree kids grow up, stop having fun for fun's sake and decide there needs to be rules to playing. The whole things sucks some of the fun out of the concept of superheroes. One being that having powers is supposed to fulfill the fantasy of being *free* to do amazing things. Now there's paperwork and punishemnt if you don't follow the rules. This is like the perverted culmination of what Spider-Man started by stating "With great power comes great responsibility." Because now it's all responsibility and burden.

#480699 04/09/07 12:46 PM
Substitute
Substitute
This was the first Avengers comics I've ever bought, I've never been a fan of them. And I did like it... oh and yeah they are definitley not done with MVP... one way or another we're gonna see more of him. For now I'm on board for the ride concerning this book.

Currently getting caught up on my Legion history by reading the Post-Zero Hour Legion.
#480700 04/09/07 05:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yeah his origin too cool just to get rid of the character.

Anybody else think that old reformed nazi is going to steal Armory's gunarm?

Oh and while I haven't seen anything from Hardball he might be cool. Hope to see more Ultra Girl!!!

#480701 04/09/07 07:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Who's Ultra Girl?

Like I said in another thread, I haven't read an Avengers comic in years, so it doesn't mean much to me if they're acting out of character. I like the concept, for now, whether it will work long term, I'm not so sure.

I'm surprised how popular MVP is, I think he's a character that could get annoying in large doses. He just came across as too perfect, although I loved his scene with poor Cloud 9.

I really liked Cloud 9. Poor thing, she just wants to fly and they draft her!

I did not like Gauntlet, but it's possible I'll love to hate him. I seriously want to see Justice or Dani kick his ass.

It's interesting that they're taking away the powers of the unqualified. If they're taking them away, could they be giving them out, too? I'm thinking about Dani here, although Lord knows she doesn't need any more power complications. What happens if someone washes out and they can't take the powers away?

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#480702 04/09/07 08:45 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Why, Spellbinder, how did you miss my comments on Avengers: The Initiative in the All Avengers thread? Are you no longer following that thread? I'm hurt. :sniff: :boo-hoo:

Just kidding. wink

I approached the book with an open mind, but I came away feeling it was dreary and mean-spirited. I also think Marvel made a mistake changing it into an ongoing at the last minute. I predict that it'll be the first crack in the armor of the Avengers franchise. Of course, I could be wrong. And in the meantime, I'll keep browsing through it only because of Dani.

Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I'm not too keen on the whole superhero registering thing either. It's like a big allegory for what happens when formerly carefree kids grow up, stop having fun for fun's sake and decide there needs to be rules to playing. The whole things sucks some of the fun out of the concept of superheroes. One being that having powers is supposed to fulfill the fantasy of being *free* to do amazing things. Now there's paperwork and punishemnt if you don't follow the rules. This is like the perverted culmination of what Spider-Man started by stating "With great power comes great responsibility." Because now it's all responsibility and burden.
Hear, hear!

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#480703 04/09/07 08:50 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I flipped it open in the local store and wasn't impressed with some nobody dissing the New Warriors. (I didn't buy it. With the exception of the Thunderbolts issues that tied into Civil War, I've bought nothing tainted by that abomination, and have also dropped the Thunderbolts, as well as other Marvel titles, because of it...)

Gauntlet's working for Hank Pym, architect of the slaughter of thousands in whatever nameless European backwater Ultron massacred, and Tony Stark, famous for killing a senator on live television, and responsible for the deaths of two superheroes (one in the Armor Wars, one more recently), and he's making noise about power and responsibility?

If I were Justice, I would be on the run, after telekinetically dismantling that losers bionic arm and sticking it where the sun don't shine...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#480704 04/09/07 09:50 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Set:
If I were Justice, I would be on the run, after telekinetically dismantling that losers bionic arm and sticking it where the sun don't shine...
And hence the reason for the premise of New New New New Warriors becomes clear, no?

Originally posted by Stealth (All-Avengers thread):
Here's another thing that makes me hopeful -- Bendis' Avengers books may be selling well, but let's not forget that Morrison's X-Men sold well at the time and was hyped as being "edgy", but today it's generally looked at as little more than a footnote.
A lot of that is because Marvel deliberately hit the Rewind button on several aspects of Morrison's run. Although not on what a friend of mine charitably calls "the Scott/Emma freakshow." And Morrison's run was almost entirely self-contained for what it was - the only real spinoff was New Mutants v2, which used its' own characters.

And New Avengers is reliably nearer the top of the charts than New X-Men was.

Originally posted by Stealth (All-Avengers thread):
For the moment, I must report that I browsed through Avengers: The Initiative # 1 and found it dreary and mean-spirited. I think that Marvel made a big mistake by turning it into an ongoing at the last minute. Hey, maybe it'll be the first scratch in the armor of the current Avengers.
Doubt it - specific premise by Slott, based on the landscape established by Millar. If it flunks (and notice how the logo layout makes the title look like just "Avengers" - 5-10 other books this month have identical "THE INITIATIVE" banners. A wee bit naughty, especially since the covers give more prominence to the Mighty Avengers team than anyone actually in the cast), it's just convincing Marvel that no-one but Bendis should write the Avengers...

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#480705 04/09/07 10:05 PM
Even if Reboot's predictions turn out to be true, I'll just be philosophical about it. C'est la vie.

#480706 04/09/07 10:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Reboot:
And hence the reason for the premise of New New New New Warriors becomes clear, no?
What premise is that? I'm totally out of the loop in the Marvel Universe.

#480707 04/09/07 11:05 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Arachne:
Originally posted by Reboot:
[b]And hence the reason for the premise of New New New New Warriors becomes clear, no?
What premise is that? I'm totally out of the loop in the Marvel Universe.[/b]
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=106667
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102799
http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001760

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#480708 04/09/07 11:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Arachne, Pym is creating new superheroes. I think the new title Champions (with a guy called Kitson doing the art) will show us that.

I hope Dani does get some powers as well. Nice to see some cross-pollination. Always wanted Dani (& Sunspot) to join the Avengers. Hopefully Pym has a "serum" for her? I still think she should have Valkyrie powers.

Set, you bring up some good points. They are so hard on the New Warriors but Hank Pym (via Ultron) may be responsible for more deaths.

As for all the New Warriors bashing? This is Dan Slott. He's using it as a setup for the old Warriors to defend themselves. Justice? Rage? They are not going to let that fly, trust me. It will be addressed. Slott is going to stand up for the Warriors at some point if you ask me.

Arachne, Ultra Girl is the teen version of Ms. Marvel. She has kree infused powers and she is one of the trainees. (orange suit short blond hair).

Stealth, you already are at AI in your Avengers thread??? I need to catch up!!!

(i am drunk right now)

#480709 04/09/07 11:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Don't drink and post! You look stupid just like me.

(this msg is for all the young posters and I, um, hit the wrong button)

#480710 04/09/07 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Stealth, you already are at AI in your Avengers thread??? I need to catch up!!!
There's no urgency. Cobie took over the chronology and the thread is currently at the end of the Johns era. What I do now is interject snarky remarks about current Avengers books. smile

#480711 04/30/07 05:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/May07/previews/initiative.html

A preview! <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">It appears MVP is alive. I understand he may look like Deathlok now or something but I hope they don't make him a villain. Just a tragic hero.</span></span>

#480712 04/30/07 08:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hmm, cool. I'm not looking at the preview, though. smile

#480713 05/02/07 11:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Whew! I didn't think what they seemed to be hinting at in the preview would actually happen-- but it sure might've. I'm glad, as the character in question is one I like alot... though not in this identity.

I really wanted a more cohesive scene for the Texas Rangers (am I getting their name right?) Funny, I was thinking about Red Wolf the other day, and here he is... briefly (very).

Is the new tutor who I think it is? I didn't realize Trauma was actually a shape-changer, too. Guess I didn't read very closely. I still like Cloud 9 the best. And Justice.

#480714 05/04/07 09:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't know. Who do you think the new tutor is? smile

It's <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Moonstar</span></span> if you really want to know.

I liked this a lot. I was afraid the instructors would be in minor rolls, but now it looks like they'll be getting equal time. Gauntlet's still a jerk, though. Someone needs to kick his ass.

I don't think MVP is alive, Jorge. Although he's still a factor in the story. The Nazi's planing something, I think.

#480715 05/07/07 11:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I finally read #2 and loved it! Hank didn't die. Like Mystery Lad I hate that he is YJ again.

Arachne, yeah it appears MVP is quite dead. frown

I agree the instructors have nice roles. I like Justice in this very much thus far. The Beast and Dani Moonstar???

I am not sure about giving kids a jetpack so they can do an ariel battle against SHIELD. Kind of goes against the entire Initiative thing.

Love the Rangers. Living Lightning and no Firebird? What I love the most is that it reminds me of the old GIJOE very much!

#480716 05/08/07 06:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I thought Firebird WAS there.

So I'm taking it the Rangers are Texas' official superteam?

I actually think the idea of a an official team in every state is a cool one. With Slott writing this, how long before the Great-Lakes Avengers/X-men show up?

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#480717 05/08/07 06:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Lash, I remember seeing her in a promo somewhere before but not this comic. I wish American Eagle was there. Warren Ellis writing him very good over in T-Bolts. Sadly, i think he's going to die.

#480718 06/07/07 03:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#3 is out! This is might be my fave title right now. We got some great Komodo moments! Nice secret identity!!!

Nice Dani Moonstar moments with Trauma! Awesome action with War Machine, Komodo, Spidey, Hydoman, the Shocker, and who was the other guy? Boomerang? I forgot.

So what's up with Hardball???

#480719 06/08/07 04:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I saw this on another message board. I wish I was genius enough to figure it out.

Possible big spoilers or just a good guess.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Komodo is Jubilee??? Her "secret identity", Dr. connors making the DNA, the way she rose up to the head of the class???</span></span>

We've seen this recently ex-mutants gaining powers in another way. A cool idea...well i hate in New Warriors, but ohwell. I really dig this title.

#480720 06/08/07 04:47 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Posters for the upcoming Mutant Event show that spoiler character in traditional attire, very much normal looking. Either the spoiler is incorrect, or that's a temporary state for the character.

#480721 06/08/07 05:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Set, yeah I think it was just a good guess. That would've been cool. Ohwell, I love Komodo now. smile

#480722 06/11/07 09:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Me, too. She got interesting this issue. What were they thinking sending her up against Spiderman, though?

I don't like Hardball; he bores me. I hope something nasty happens to him.

Nice seeing Dani kick ass again. smile

#480723 06/20/07 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Arachne:
Nice seeing Dani kick ass again. smile
Yes indeed, that scene with Dani was awesome. It left me with a big fangirl grin on my face.

Unfortunately, I still can't bring myself to care about anything or anyone else in this book.

I was ready to stop browsing through it altogether, and then follow Dani when she eventually moves on to a different book...

...but then I read a soliciation for a future issue, and it seems that the odious Gauntlet is going to get beat up and left for dead. I can't wait to see that. I hope it's the cadets who beat him up. laugh

(And yes, I do have "issues" with male authority figures.)

#480724 08/19/07 12:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
# 4 was good.

That last page, with the kids up against the Hulk and his cronies amidst the fallen bodies of the AVENGERS... scary!

Thor Girl and Ultra Girl rawk!

I never knew the Marvel U had so many teen sidekicks!

And it looks like MVP might not be quite as dead as we thought he was!

#480725 08/20/07 11:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Lash, I have to agree about Thor Girl and Ultra Girl. They need an issue just focusing on the two of them.

#480726 08/30/07 03:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I was reading a review recently of this book. Are the stories all done in one? I really do enjoy the titles pulling that off these days- Hex, Detective, She-Hulk.

I liked Slott's work on She-Hulk, but his Thing didn't really work for me.

Just spouting off.
#480727 08/30/07 04:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
CJ, it's a rolling storyline but each issue is pretty self-contained. Slott is good like that.

There are already a ton of subplots.

The latest issue rocked! The artist Stefano Casseli is on another planet as far as I'm concerned. He might be my new favorite artist. Lots of personality in his work.

Loved the black ops team. I've always loved Bengal (in NW & DD). I have always loved the Constrictor as well.

Who is Mutant Zero??? I didn't think I would like the Iron-Spidey guys but they weren't bad.

#480728 09/03/07 10:22 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
The first six issues are getting Marvel's Premiere HC treatment and DCBS has it half-off in their September solicits... hmmm

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#480729 09/04/07 12:45 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
http://www.thexaxis.com/capsules/02Sep07.htm
AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #5 - Boy, they've gone to some lengths to obscure the word "Initiative" on that cover. I don't know quite what to make of his book. It seems to have going on ninety-seven lead characters, and nobody is really coming to the fore. Is it about the trainees? The teachers? The authorities? And this issue, we get yet more characters - an entire extra team, with bozos like the Constrictor and the Bengal. It still hasn't quite figured out whether its characters are there voluntarily, and although there are a lot of interesting ideas floating around, they don't add up to any sort of coherent whole. Dan Slott is a very talented writer, but this is looking more and more like a mulch. More focus is sorely needed. C+

#480730 09/04/07 12:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think the book is far better than a "C+" but will agree more focus is needed.

#480731 09/04/07 05:19 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Personally I enjoy all the characters. To tell the truth the kids don't do much for me. I rather see Thor Girl, Ultra Girl, Rage, etc. Loved seeing Bengal. I like the large cast...I'm a Legion fan.

#480732 09/04/07 10:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Who is Mutant Zero???
Kitty Pryde?

#480733 09/06/07 12:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Taking the Initiative with Dan Slott

Newsarama interview. Nice to see he is going to be rotating the cast. I like that. smile

#480734 09/06/07 12:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
As for Mutant Zero? The Scarlet Witch? No, Slott wouldn't have her doing ninja moves.

#480735 09/08/07 07:33 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Will the current Ant-Man, Eric O'Grady, be seen elsewhere in the Marvel Universe now that his series is ending? Brevoort: He's moving into Avengers: The Initiative.
I saw the news about where Eric's going, and went "Oh God No" quietly, aloud, about three times before I caught that I was saying it and turned away from the article.

Just... no.

Really, just.... no.

Short of Exiles, I can't think of a worse place for... just no.

#480736 09/10/07 02:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The problem with Eric is they made him so unlikable. He was partly responsible for his heroic bestfriend dying and then took credit for being the hero.

eh. Oh well I hope he gets his due in the in AI.

#480737 09/12/07 11:49 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I liked Ant-Man's book, but it will be wierd seeing him in superhero school. If anyone can make him work there, Slott can.

I picked up the recent Initiative issue, and liked it. I'll hunt down teh first 4 and give it a ew more to keep me around.

Just spouting off.
#480738 09/17/07 06:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well I just saw the cover and it looks like Hank is giving the latest Ant-Man a piece of his mind, er, fist.

#480739 09/17/07 10:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The solicits for December mention the Irredeemable Giant Man. In case anyone was wondering...

Newsarama - Marvel Solicits

Just spouting off.
#480740 10/30/07 09:00 PM
http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/10/23/marvel-month-to-month-sales-september-2007/

19. AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE
04/07 Initiative #1 - 127,798
05/07 Initiative #2 - 103,189 (-19.3%)
06/07 Initiative #3 - 92,339 (-10.5%)
07/07 Initiative #4 - 94,773 ( +2.6%)
08/07 Initiative #5 - 86,536 ( -8.7%)
09/07 Initiative #6 - 74,184 (-14.3%)

Okay, this is getting worrying. This book is not holding its sales at all. In fairness, issues #4-5 were a WORLD WAR HULK crossover, so some drop is to be expected. But the series is nowhere levelling out at this stage. I suspect a combination of factors - firstly, the Initiative books are losing their lustre generally, and secondly, readers are figuring out that this isn’t really a third Avengers book at all.

#480741 11/23/07 08:55 PM
Leader
Leader
Introducing The Liberteens!:

http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.1778.Initiative_Initiation:_The_Liberteens

I really like the idea of this team.

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#480742 11/27/07 10:47 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Me too! I'm actually pretty impressed with the thoughtfulness of the idea. Combining past Marvel history with new characters with making it work very examplerary* of the post-CW universe.

*er, did I make that word up?

#480743 11/27/07 11:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Very DC like. Especially since DC is getting more Marvel like.

Just spouting off.
#480744 11/27/07 02:03 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
While it is an interesting looking team, the 'formula' that Marvel and DC have been using for the last few years predicts a short run.

Formula;
New team + Teen heroes = Dead by dawn.

#480745 11/27/07 02:41 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Me too! I'm actually pretty impressed with the thoughtfulness of the idea. Combining past Marvel history with new characters with making it work very examplerary* of the post-CW universe.

*er, did I make that word up?
No. It's just spelled exemplary. wink

#480746 11/27/07 06:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I dig the Liberteens big time! (i've replied to this post 3 times in the last two days and it hasn't gone thru!) mad

#480747 11/27/07 08:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't read Marvel AT ALL but something about this book keeps me flicking through it every month at the store.

I don't know who half the characters are or much of what else is going on but I still enjoy what I see. I don't know why. It's weird.

#480748 11/28/07 12:37 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I was the same way Blacula. I finally picked it up with issue 5. It's been a good read, and they do a fine job of keeping readers informed on each of the characters.

Just spouting off.
#480749 11/29/07 06:46 PM
Leader
Leader
So anyone read the annual yet? What's your opinion of the Liberteen's from their 1st appearance?

ActorLad

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#480750 11/29/07 07:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I was going to say in my earlier post...THIS is my Avengers book.

I'm a big Avengers fan and am not happy with what Marvel has done with them. Sure they are more popular now but I don't care for it.

This title by Dan Slott and Stefano Caselli is MY Avengers book. I just love it. I hope they give Dan the Mighty Avengers soon. (or Joe Casey)

#480751 11/29/07 11:56 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Christos Gage has been impressive so far. I wouldn't mind him on Mighty Avengers.

I'm also enjoying Avengers: the Initiative. I usually forget about it and let it slip to the middle of my pile but am surprisingly glad to find it when I do get to it.

Haven't read the annual yet AL but looking forward to other's reviews...

#480752 11/30/07 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Quisjorge:
I hope they give Dan the Mighty Avengers soon. (or Joe Casey)
You still want Casey on Avengers, even after reading that Casey quote I PMed you? Disregarding all his other works, he's a nostalgic softie when it comes to Avengers.

#480753 11/30/07 09:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Stealth, the answer is yes. smile He's better than Bendis that's for sure. I don't mind that he doesn't care for Harras' stuff. I think he won't be as nostalgic as Busiek. Though after what the Avengers went through before Busiek and now...nostalgic might not be so bad.

Allen Heinberg would rock as well.

#480754 11/30/07 09:22 PM
Quisjorge say what?

Originally posted by Quisjorge:
I think he won't be as nostalgic as Busiek.
Not good enough. Avengers nostalgia makes me puke PUKE puke !

#480755 12/05/07 09:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The annual's out... and I found it a mixed bag. The Armory story was well-written, I thought. I only scanned the Gauntlet story, as I don't enjoy that guy.

The MVP and Hardball stories were better-- they moved the overall plot forward in interesting ways. One character's the first of a series of clones and the other's an undercover agent for Hydra. The Nazi doctor's entertaining to read... and good ol' Hank Pym is at least human here, though still wearing that damn Yellowjacket uniform (meaning, nasty stuff's ahead for Dr. Pym, no doubt).

The Liberteens story, which made me interested in this annual in the first place, was at once intriguing and underwhelming.

This is a teen team that's shiny, happy in public and into serious partying behind closed doors. The one member who's not turns out to... well, I won't spoil it. But the concluding page certainly provides links for upcoming Marvel storytelling.

Should I have recognized the last character to appear in the book? He's at Camp Hammond... that's all I could glean, aside from the obvious.

#480756 12/07/07 12:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Mystery Lad, spoil me! Wasn't there a Skrull reveal?

#480757 12/07/07 01:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The Revolutionary - leader of the Liberteens- was revelaed to be a Skrull, and he was talking with a Skrull from Cmp Hammond.</span></span>

The Annual was a fine read, but nothing really relevant to the main cast of the Initiative. Tho' Slott does bring in that promised connectoin to She-Hulk.

Just spouting off.
#480758 12/15/07 01:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Good Lord, I'm behind.

I just last night read ish 7, the Scarlet Spiders spotlight.

Good stuff. Looks like we've gone from no MVP to more MVP than we can shake a stick at. Fun!

#480759 12/15/07 01:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blacula:
I don't read Marvel AT ALL but something about this book keeps me flicking through it every month at the store.

I don't know who half the characters are or much of what else is going on but I still enjoy what I see. I don't know why. It's weird.
I believe I can solve this mystery.

It's because writer Dan Slott RULES!

#480760 01/01/08 06:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I read the annual-- skimmed most of it but totally dug the MVP and Liberteens stories!

And ohmyGOSH-- I'm actually worried about the characters after the G.I.Ant-Man/Yellowjacket slugfest in the latest issue. What's going on there?

And do y'think I could buy my very own MVP clone? I'll feed and walk him EVERY day!

#480761 01/01/08 07:13 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
They giantised Eric?

Oh grife... :rolleyes:

#480762 01/02/08 09:39 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Originally posted by Blacula:
[b]I don't read Marvel AT ALL but something about this book keeps me flicking through it every month at the store.

I believe I can solve this mystery.

It's because writer Dan Slott RULES! [/b]
I think you're absolutely right Lash!

Now how can we tempt him over to the DC Universe?

I'd kill to see him work his magic on some of the obscure characters that company has!

#480763 01/02/08 10:24 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I want more of the teen hussy, Cloud-9! When's Firestar going to show up-- though I guess it'll be as Angelica, since she's 'retired'.

What keeps me from enjoying this title more is an underlying fear that Hank Pym's on borrowed time. Somebody's going to pay for some of the Civil War stuff; Reed and Tony ain't going anywhere... and when characters like Ms. Marvel think about a hero with derision, well, the writing's on the wall.

Change your uniform, Pym! Give Eric the Yellowjacket one-- it fits his personality! It's your only chance!

#480764 01/02/08 10:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Mystery Lad, I agree on...

1. FIRESTAR!
2. Pym needs to give Eric the YJ suit. He was born to be YJ while Hank never was.

#480765 01/02/08 12:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Firestar has already been in the book. Isn't she Mutant Zero?

Just spouting off.
#480766 01/02/08 01:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I thought about her possibly being Mutant Zero but comments of her being mentally unstable and her powers don't seem to match.

Namorita on the other hand...is a mutant (of sorts). Could need the suit for water. Doubt it but I hope so.

Other Mutant Zero guesses? Marrow. Sure she appeared in X-Factor but Marvel makes continuity mistakes all the time.

#480767 01/03/08 06:46 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Firestar was in the book teaching the kids in one of the issues. At least, that yellow costume with the orange face thingy sure looked like her...

#480768 01/04/08 12:13 AM
Leader
Leader
Perhaps it was Spitfire? She has had similar costumes to Angelica. It would make a lot more sense then Firestar reversing her decision on working with The Initiative.

ActorLad

#480769 05/22/08 07:25 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So the KIA story led into graduation.

And now we have a new class.

Just spouting off.
#480770 05/22/08 12:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I liked the ending. I thought I was going to miss the characters but I don't really. My favorite was MVP and he really got screwed up. I guess Cloud was my 2nd favorite. But Hardball, Trauma, and the lizard girl didn't wow me. I liked them but I'm not sad to see new people.

I actually really like Taskmaster as the teacher versus the army guy. The new recruits don't do much for me...but who cares?! I can watch Taskmaster kick their tails!

#480771 05/25/08 12:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The new class didn't do a lot for me-- but I remember sort of thinking the same thing about the initial set, except for Cloud, who I *do* miss. (I was hoping for a link to the old Defenders character, also called Cloud...)

The guy who turns into a dragon is sort of intriguing, but seems like a direct replacement for Komodo.

Frankly, those are the only two I remember at the moment.

Are we supposed to be feeling kept in suspense by the Yellowjacket depiction? I wasn't, so that was a big bust, if so. Otherwise, it's just sloppy alignment in the MU. That always seems to happen here and there with these big events.

Moonstar's missed, too. I *am* enjoying Taskmaster a heck of a lot more than Gauntlet. Send that guy to helm a team in Idaho or something.

I'm not looking forward to the supposed big storyline about the giant gloves, here and in She-Hulk. They've been the least interesting things about both series, to me.

#480772 06/12/08 08:29 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I loved the KIA storyline, very tense!

So is Dan Slott gone from A:tI?

The new kids haven't grabbed me yet.

#480773 07/01/08 07:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, Slott's back. And everyone's a Skrull!

#480774 10/31/08 04:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well we're smack dab in the middle of the Skrull invasion now. We've got new recruits hanging with graduates, the Skrull Kill Krew riffing on Futurama, and Ant-Man being a jerk.

And Cloud 9 shows up, a little harder edged than we remember her being.

Just spouting off.
#480775 11/01/08 03:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
And Cloud 9 shows up, a little harder edged than we remember her being.
A little? I thought she might as well be a brand new character.

Loved her entrance, though.

#480776 11/23/08 11:01 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Any word on this book's future? I heard rumours of cancellation. With Christos Gage being a Marvel exclusive, it's his only work I'm getting.

Just spouting off.
#480777 01/24/09 09:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well I just finished issues 17-20.

TONS of characters.

Between this and the fabulous/scary MARVEL ZOMBIES 3, Jocasta-- in my top 10 for characters I doubted would ever show up again-- has made a HUGE resurgance. I always had a soft spot for her ever since she slipped away from the Avengers all sad and stuff because she thought they were ignoring her.

# 20, featuring Jocasta and Hank, was a VERY powerful, moving story for me. The Jocasta-as-Jan reveal was really moving. The whole scene was awesome.

I was going to follow Slott and drop this in favor of MIGHTY AVENGERS after this issue but I think I'll keep it on the pull for now. Looks like the other writer guy is going to focus on Taskmaster and Tigra (at LAST-- some focus) among others.

And I see Mockingbird and Thor Girl in Skrull-napped therapy. That helps me deal with the loss of Janet (which I didn't know about previously because I didn't follow the Secret Invasion-proper).

#480778 01/24/09 09:11 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oh, and Mutant Zero is revealed.

#480779 01/24/09 09:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Lash, what do you think of Zero's reveal? It was a little out of left field. I don't recall the mutant connection or described power set, but then I'm not the most knowledgeable on DD lore.

Just spouting off.
#480780 01/24/09 09:56 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ceej, I haven't followed DD since the 70s though I had seen ads through the years featuring Typhoid Mary. She looked like a mack truck standing over the defeated hero in those ads, I recall. Not all sleek and tiny like Mutant Zero.

I guess the reveal doesn't really phase me either way, other than to note that now there are 2 reformed villains here (Taskmaster being the other). Very Avengers, really.

#480781 01/25/09 06:04 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Typhoid Mary is actually really awesome. Probably the best new Daredevil villain since, well, Bullseye. I can't think of another one that good since the late 80's/early 90's when she was prominant.

Unfortunately I think she really doesn't work well at all as Mutant Zero.

#480782 01/30/09 11:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
No, they were hinting way too heavily about a long-unseen mutant redhead that would waaaaay overshadow Mary.

Is Taskmaster reformed? I didn't think so.

I'm not sure how long I'll stick with this title- especially if Tigra and Hellcat and Gargoyle are are all gone and Mr. Disproprtionate Limbs Drill Sergeant's the one in charge. I really don't like him a bit.

I'll see how the Justice and co. turn goes.

#480783 02/26/10 11:51 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#33 spotlights Constrictor and Diamondhead, with glimpses at Penance (who's finally regaining himself, at least somewhat) and Nightthrasher's brother.

The issue ends with Tigra confronting The Hood (who tells NT's brother to kill her in order to bring back NT).

I know The Hood's gained a following, but I hope Tigra claws the snot out of him. I won't say I want her to kill him, but I hope it's close.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,438
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Brody27
Brody27
Tampa, FL
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star