Roll Call
0 members (), 12 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/16/24 08:05 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/16/24 04:00 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/16/24 03:17 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/16/24 02:45 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/16/24 02:44 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/16/24 12:25 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:26 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:26 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!?
#48153 08/05/08 12:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I also agree with LWL! And with Atoning Unifex when it comes to editors!

I really hope we see Shooter back in the legion sandbox. Shooter and Francis writing a Legion Academy would rock.

#48154 08/05/08 01:04 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I like the idea of Legion 'seasons'. It would make for a lot of possibilities for writers of various backgrounds (adventure, sci-fi, character-driven, dark, comedic) and would also be pre-packaged for Trade Paperbacks.

A full-time editor for the Legion is almost a necessity now anyway, keeping all the reboots straight and everything...

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#48155 08/05/08 03:30 PM
Active
Active
Don't know what to say about Shooter going out - again - but that it's sad because he made me care about the Threeboot characters in a way Mark Waid never managed to do it.

As for Bedard, I love his stuff over at good old Crossgen - his Negation was really a great read, good mixture of Superhero/SciFi - and though I was not overwhelmed by his recent guest stint, I firmly believe that he could build up a great storyline with whatever Legion he is given.

I certainly would prefer a classic Legion continuity ONGOING book done by Levitz/Giffen, but that in my eyes is wishful thinking... does Levitz even have a decent story left? He pretty much wrote the title for how long, a decade?

On the other hand, after years in the executive business, maybe he's hungry again... and he would give the book full presidential power...

#48156 08/05/08 03:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've been thinking of the "seasons" approach to Legion for a while now. It's such a diverse cast, and most stories only give spotlight time to a handful of characters anyway. Think back to those old issues that are so well loved- how often did the entire cast get involved?

Come out with a series of minis for the LSH. You can cover any era you want, use whatever characters you feel interested in using. I think sustaining an ongoing would be tougher than selling a couple of focused minis a year. And, with less out there, fans will be more hungry to pick it up. Build up excitement for the characters again.

It worked for Birds of Prey... whatever happened to "Because You Demanded It"

Just spouting off.
#48157 08/05/08 03:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Reboot, deboot, anyhoot, as long as the first page and first issue kicks and the new series holds to basic tenants of the past instead of just colorful characters given Legion names, oldtimers will board and they'll suffer for the group, changes made to their favorites.

Those first pages post World's convinces me. The boards were filled with concerns before that issue about what was about to be done to their comic but when Monel and Tharak battled their way down through the atmosphere I think there was a collective gasp of "cool."

It was the LONG (rather, I should say SLOW) and REPETITIVE arcs that chilled it as I recall. So avoid those too.

Anything but "safe" art will probably always be problematic I suppose.

Start us with a three month max arc of action, throw in clever dialogue, let the art do the characterization for a few issues and I think they'll get a fan base.

LLL

#48158 08/05/08 04:14 PM
Active
Active
I don't like the seasons approach, but I think a Legends of Legion book would rock.

#48159 08/05/08 05:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Its deja vu all over again, for like the umpteeth time, squared and times five!

#48160 08/05/08 05:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
We're hitting Shadow and Doc Savage type numbers for new #1's!

#48161 08/05/08 05:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
[(1 + 1)*umpteenth]^2*5

#48162 08/05/08 05:59 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
[(1 + 1)*umpteenth]^2*5
Is that the Antilife Equation?

#48163 08/05/08 06:29 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Originally posted by Ricardo:
[b] [(1 + 1)*umpteenth]^2*5
Is that the Antilife Equation?[/b]
... or Brainiac 5's Intelligence Quotient

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#48164 08/05/08 08:03 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Bad move for DC. Next time, they will bring Judd Winick ... to Legion, ...
NoooOOOOooOOOooo!!!

#48165 08/05/08 09:26 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
STU, the Anti-Winick! Long may you reign!

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#48166 08/05/08 09:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[b] [(1 + 1)*umpteenth]^2*5
Is that the Antilife Equation?[/b]
Only for Judd Winnick, apparently.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#48167 08/06/08 02:17 AM
K
Substitute
Substitute
K
Rich is sometimes wrong even after one of his green lights.

The thing I find most odd about this rumor is that this is like the 5th rumor he's posted about Shooter leaving the book, and in the last few months not a single other person has come forward with corroboration, not even to say that they overheard someone say something. Rich's sources so far have been the Bristol bar scene and the New York bar scene. Is this a case of "where there's smoke, there's fire" or "the boy who cried wolf"?

But putting that aside, let's assume that it's all correct. That would suggest to me a Shooter wrap-up with #50, a 6-8 issue miniseries by Bedard, and then v6 #1 by.... Johns maybe?

Immediately under that item, Rich also mentioned Johns talking Bart Allen with Francis Manapul for a while. Since we know Bart is going to be in L3W, maybe Bart will stay on in the Legion book that follows L3W, to be drawn by Manapul.

Finally, we were told that all three Legions would exist (as would the Multiverse) at the conclusion of L3W and Final Crisis, which means that no rebooting/debooting/unbooting would be required. The way I look at it is like the JSA in the 1970s, they only came out when it was time for the crossover with the JLA; they were on a different Earth but they never really went away.

#48168 08/06/08 04:51 AM
Active
Active
Whatever momentum the Legion has will be killed by Bedard doing something with the 3boot and waiting 6-8 months for Johns to do something. It'll be like that LOTW never happened. Almost better if they don't do anything and just let the Legion go dormat until Johns can write it. Or until they give it to someone that they are willing to let do something meaningful with it.

I actually feel sorry Bedard because he is a pretty good writer, and he likes the Legion, but he's not really being given a chance to succeed the way DC is just giving clean up duty.

The thing is...I like Bedard, but I don't think he's Alan Moore or anything. And it generates zero excitement for him to do something with the Legion right now because he was just on the book a few months ago as a lame duck and he didn't get to do much. And if he's just doing some kind of place holding mini, he's not going to do much again.

It's not like the title is going to perform any better than Shooter is right now or Bedard did on his last run...or just because it's a new mini. Everyone knows nothing substantial is going ot happen...just like they know this going to happen right now during Shooter's run. IF DC isn't going to do anything meaningful with the book, IMO they should just kill it until they are ready to do something meaningful.

I think I will probably not buy this mini if this is what is going to happen. I'm sick of DC treading water...and taking advantage of the Legion fans loyal nature, while serving up crap.

It's almost like they have less respect for Legion fans than any other book...you get the feeling the only reason the LOTW Action Legion is happening is because Johns wanted to do something with the Legion....

#48169 08/06/08 04:59 AM
Active
Active
Finally, we were told that all three Legions would exist (as would the Multiverse) at the conclusion of L3W and Final Crisis,
Just the opposite. Dan DiDio said there would be just one Legion after L3W. Presumably the Time Trapper will eradicate the other two universes/time lines or whatever without affecting the Multiverse.

Which Legion will be left? well imagine the conversation in 2006:

Geoff Johns: Dan, I want to bring back the classic Legion from the Levitz era. Let's spend the next two years re-introducing them into the DCU.
Dan DiDio: Cool
Geoff Johns: And we'll make them part of Superman's past again and feature them in Action Comics.
Dan DiDio: Great and to promote it we'll issue lots of TPBs, and hardcovers and get them on the cover of the San Diego Comic Con magazine.
Geoff Johns: Fantastic. And then to round it off we have a mini series where they meet the other versions of the Legion.
Dan DiDio: Oh yes! I can see the bucks flying in.
Geoff Johns: And then at the end of the mini I kill them off again.
Dan DiDio: Geoff you are a genius.

It isn't going to happen

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#48170 08/06/08 05:04 AM
A
Honorary
Honorary
A
Maybe the Bedard project is the comic book version of a reality show where members of each of the three teams compete to see which version will be America's Next Top Legion....

#48171 08/06/08 05:08 AM
Active
Active
How about this:

DC January 2009 solicitaions:
Legion of Super-Heroes #1. Written by Johns.
Legion of Super-Heroes:Year One #1 of 6. Written by Bedard.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#48172 08/06/08 05:12 AM
A
Honorary
Honorary
A
The only thing I admire about Waid's run is that he didn't go back and give us yet another retelling of the origin of the Legion. So I'm personally hoping no Year One kinda deal.

#48173 08/06/08 05:12 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
Finally, we were told that all three Legions would exist (as would the Multiverse) at the conclusion of L3W and Final Crisis,
Just the opposite. Dan DiDio said there would be just one Legion after L3W. Presumably the Time Trapper will eradicate the other two universes/time lines or whatever without affecting the Multiverse.

Which Legion will be left? well imagine the conversation in 2006:

Geoff Johns: Dan, I want to bring back the classic Legion from the Levitz era. Let's spend the next two years re-introducing them into the DCU.
Dan DiDio: Cool
Geoff Johns: And we'll make them part of Superman's past again and feature them in Action Comics.
Dan DiDio: Great and to promote it we'll issue lots of TPBs, and hardcovers and get them on the cover of the San Diego Comic Con magazine.
Geoff Johns: Fantastic. And then to round it off we have a mini series where they meet the other versions of the Legion.
Dan DiDio: Oh yes! I can see the bucks flying in.
Geoff Johns: And then at the end of the mini I kill them off again.
Dan DiDio: Geoff you are a genius.

It isn't going to happen
It is conflicting information isn't it?

LOL your story was funny but I don't think it's that bad. I think it's more a case of disogranization than cruelty.

The Action Legion sold nicely, it's numbers helped Action Comics and they were rock solid numbers ...DC would love to pull that off monthly, I think Johns would too, and I think Didio would too...it's just they don't use common sense or something and they take advantage of the Legion fanbase.

I mean this is a horrible idea if it's what DC is planning, a 3 boot mini or something coming off the LO3W. I actually wish Johnston would stop publishing Legion rumors...even if they are true. I want to hear good news...

#48174 08/06/08 05:54 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
If Bedard comes back I wonder if he'll bring Calero with him. That'd be good. I like Manapul but there was something about Calero's art that particularly appealed to me.

#48175 08/06/08 06:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Unfortunately for <strike> all</strike> both of us Calero legion fans, that's not too likely. Calero has a Darkman gig at Marvel. Maybe you should all come to the Baltimore Comic Con and ask the creators yourselves.

#48176 08/06/08 09:35 AM
Active
Active

Legion of Super-Heroes: Arena

#48177 08/06/08 12:35 PM
Substitute
Substitute

Legion of Super-Heroes: Arena
Where did you see this? I couldn't find it on any of the sites that post solicitations.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,386
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
crooow, DrJohnnyDiablo, sheer
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star