Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/22/24 11:11 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/22/24 10:48 AM
Fatal Five in DC August Solicits
by Rob-Em - 05/22/24 10:42 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Harbinger - 05/22/24 08:40 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/22/24 07:21 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by Harbinger - 05/22/24 06:24 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/22/24 05:54 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/22/24 05:33 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dan Dare by Garth Ennis & Virgin Comics
#482363 04/22/08 05:06 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
So I know Dan Dare is a British thing, but I've never really ever heard of the character or series before until very recently. So I picked up my first Vigin Comics comic because Garth Ennis was writing it, and well, it was pretty damn groovy!

I'm a big Garth Ennis fan though everything he writes isn't always my cup of tea. I love his Preacher and Hitman, although his Punisher never really did it for me (possibly more to do with the Punisher than Ellis) and the Boyz wasn't my cup of tea (I feel like I already saw all those jokes in Hitman and it just wasn't that good). But there's no doubt he's the best war comic book writer currently doing comics. Hell, I'd say he's this generations Robert Kanigher with an added sick sense of humor.

In Dan Dare, Ennis provides some really great writing and sets up what looks like a cool series. A few characters are introduced and all of them seem complex, which I like.

Dan Dare himself is already a great character that I like. A strong, solid lead with enough hints of regret, loneliness and 'a man no longer a part of the world'. With all the pressure in the world on him to return and take the reigns. I was reminded part of Chuck Yeager in 'the Right Stuff', part Bogey in the noir films and hell, even Aragorn of LoTR. I love that sort of character.

The art is gorgeous by Gary Erksine (I'm unfamiliar with him or at least never noticed him before).

I only bought #1, so I plan on catching up with the rest and check this series out. So far a great sci-fi/war comic off the beaten path, which is exactly what I've been looking for.

PS - anyone whose ever heard of Dan Dare before, give me your thoughts!

Re: Dan Dare by Garth Ennis & Virgin Comics
#482364 04/22/08 06:39 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
I refuse to read it because of Garth Ennis. I think he's a scared little straight caucasian boy who hates and fears anything and anyone who's not the same as him, and this taints all of his writing. I'd like to see him get a real-life dose of the cruelty he inflicts on characters he doesn't like. That would be poetic justice.

And I feel exactly the same about Mark Millar.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#482365 04/22/08 07:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Congrats on your first Virgin Comic, Cobie. I'm kind of rooting them. Guy Ritchie's Gamekeeper was a nice effort from Virgin. The follow up isn't quite as good as the first story due to a switch in the creative team, but still interesting enough to pick up.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#482366 04/22/08 07:43 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I've read the first 3 issues (?) Right now it seems a total screed against venal, spineless, slimy elites selling out and a celebration of the everyman in Dare and the enlisted men. I don't know enough about Ennis or Dare to know if this is consistent. Is it an indictment of Tony Blair? I don't know. The story has been entertaining enough, I guess. I love the explanation of how Britain inherits the Earth. Very good stuff. Otherwise, it seems fairly derivative of, say, The Fifth Element. The Mekon and his influence on the Prime Minister reminds me of the "Evil" thingie from that movie more than anything else. Riffing on that material is not the worst choice, I suppose, although I think I hoped for something a bit more original.

My only other exposure to Dan Dare was a newspaper comic strip that ran in the U.S. around 1980. At least, I THINK it was Dan Dare. It was outer spacey and vaguely British, so what else can it be? In fact, I remember reading it in the Dallas newspaper the day after John Lennon was killed. I sorta recall a story about Dare being trapped in the future and Britain is ruled by a computer tyrant housed in Windsor Castle. I have no clue who did the strip. The art was kinda cool. Was this Dave Gibbons's version? Does anyone else remember that U.S. syndicated strip?

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#482367 04/22/08 08:04 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Jerry:
Congrats on your first Virgin Comic, Cobie. I'm kind of rooting them. Guy Ritchie's Gamekeeper was a nice effort from Virgin. The follow up isn't quite as good as the first story due to a switch in the creative team, but still interesting enough to pick up.
I'll always remember my first time wink I'm going to consider some of their other comics based on creators I like or reccomendations.

DC, I know the character has been around but I don't really know anything about him (which is refreshing).

#482368 04/24/08 07:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Stealth:
I refuse to read it because of Garth Ennis. I think he's a scared little straight caucasian boy who hates and fears anything and anyone who's not the same as him, and this taints all of his writing. I'd like to see him get a real-life dose of the cruelty he inflicts on characters he doesn't like. That would be poetic justice.

And I feel exactly the same about Mark Millar.
Having met Garth Ennis and talked to him fairly extensively, I completely disagree. He approaches everything with a very dark sense of humor, but it is a sense of humor. Hate and fear are not adjectives that I would use.

I would suggest that he and his intended audience understand the difference between reality and fiction, just as anyone who has ever told an off-color joke usually does. And his over-the-top sensibilities in that area are usually extremely well balanced with actual characterization.

And frankly I fail to see how wishing actual harm on a real person is any better than fictional harms on fictional people.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#482369 04/24/08 08:44 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I agree with Kent about Ennis' writing. I think most of what he writes should be taken as tongue in cheek, and I think he has a particularly fun sense of humor, especially about the mediums he especially loves (war & western genres).

His dark humor and crazy situations usually are subtext to the more prevailant themes in his writing: friendship, being honorable vs. standing by someone you love and above all finding your place in the world when you feel most isolated.

#482370 04/24/08 03:11 PM
I have extreme reactions to writers who use a tongue-in-cheek approach.

I either love their work, like Peter David and Alan Grant, or hate their work, like Ennis and Millar.

Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
And frankly I fail to see how wishing actual harm on a real person is any better than fictional harms on fictional people.
What can I say? When I'm on the internet, my mind often goes into very dark places.

#482371 04/25/08 06:53 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think we all do that from time to time. No harm done.

I think if Garth Ennis were to read this thread, he'd be more amused than offended.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#482372 04/25/08 05:51 PM
Thanks, Kent.

He sounds like a good guy. Maybe as he gets older, he'll tone down the laddish humor in his writing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,586
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
LispBOT # 143
LispBOT # 143
Wegion Wowwd
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star