Roll Call
2 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Nightcrawler), 43 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/15/24 02:17 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/15/24 01:56 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 01:08 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 01:07 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:24 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:12 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Next Issue Project
#483658 07/21/07 12:02 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Now *this* sounds cool.

Could be a trainwreck, I suppose. Like Palmotti/Gray's run on HAWKMAN and, to a lesser extent, FREEDOM FIGHTERS, I'm a sucker for revivals of Golden Age heroes and villains that aren't treated like revivals with a capital 'R'. So, I'll at least give it a shot.

I've heard of The Clock and maybe Samson... I wonder who else'll get pulled from the past into today's crowded comics marketplace.

Does anybody have a favorite they've heard of or seen a cover of or something that they'd like to see get this treatment?

I wish DC *and* Marvel would do something similar. Marvel, in particular, has several characters that I didn't know where variations on GA heroes they've turned into new properties. The Vision, for one.

Re: Next Issue Project
#483659 07/21/07 01:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Interesting that Alex Ross just announced a very similar sounding project called "Superpowers":

Newsarama\'s SUPERPOWERS article

#483660 07/21/07 03:40 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Alan Moore used some GA characters that are in the public domain on his DC/Wildstorm TERRA OBSCURA mini's... the Black Terror, Madame Masque(Masquerade) and the Green Lama, among others.

Be interesting to see Marvel's reaction to Krueger&Ross' revival of the GA Daredevil... I assume it'll be a Capt. Marvel/SHAZAM-type situation, where they're allowed to use the character name as long as it's not the title of the book...

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#483661 07/21/07 03:48 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I believe they're just referring to the GA Daredevil as "Devil".

#483662 07/21/07 04:02 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Well THAT sucks. tongue

Guess Dynamite Entertainment doesn't feel it's big enough to handle a challenge from Marvel... sigh

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#483663 07/21/07 04:09 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Guess it's better not to risk it. It's not like the character has *that* much name recognition to begin with.

Still, this whole project is a big score for Dynamite. Hopefully it does well for them.

#483664 07/27/07 12:23 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I wish DC *and* Marvel would do something similar. Marvel, in particular, has several characters that I didn't know where variations on GA heroes they've turned into new properties. The Vision, for one.
Have y'met the "The Twelve?"

#483665 11/17/07 12:39 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Mike Allred talks about reviving Fletcher Hanks' Stardust in the Next Issue Project anthology series.

#483666 02/02/08 11:26 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The first issues of THE TWELVE and SUPERPOWERS are out. (Not sure about the Next Issue Project- haven't seen it yet.)

I liked both in different ways. THE TWELVE had a more familiar, easier to jump in vibe- but SUPERPOWERS had more atmosphere. Due, probably, to the fact that it was set in the past more than THE TWELVE.

THE TWELVE wasn't lacking in tone- BLACK WIDOW, especially, is creepy as all get out. The storyline's already jumped into the characters beginning to face the 21st century.

Whereas SUPERPOWERS just has the heroes of WWII in a mystical limbo.

Both titles have one thing in common, besides the WWII era heroes brought forward in time. And that's great art.

Actually, they have something else in common. That massive cast of costumed characters that I immediately want to find out about feeling. You must know that one as a LSH fan.

SUPERPOWERS has the edge there- though that's probably due to the fact that there's been much less introductory material floating around on the web about the guys and gals filling up the pages of this title. Every other page, it seemed, had a new costume or two that had me going "who's that?!"

So far, I haven't seen the inevitable guides enumerating the names, powers, etc. for every featured character.

I hope these do well.

#483667 03/04/08 11:56 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
GREEN LAMA and BLACK TERROR is out-- featuring some GA heroes gone truly evil (apparently). Balanced, perhaps, by the return of another GA hero who just looks that way.

The highlight was the spread of characters whose names I've read of, some I've seen, but were mostly brand new to me. I'm looking forward to seeing these guys explored.

Can't help but read 'Dynamic Family' as 'Marvel Family'.

#483668 06/15/08 02:56 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Anybody reading THE TWELVE? This month provided a fairly touching background for ROCKMAN, I thought. BLACK WIDOW is all kinds of freaky- mostly in a good way. Well, not exactly 'good'- more like entertaining.

Dynamo Man and Captain Wonder still are intriguing. The first is showing all the signs of being a self-loathing gay android(!) while the second performs heroic exploits in short shorts with hairy legs proudly bared for all the world to admire and/or giggle at.

A match made in heaven!

#483669 06/16/08 12:29 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Anybody reading THE TWELVE?
I've been following this (being a JMS fan), but it's felt terribly slow, thus far. I'm actually a little disappointed in Rockman's origin, as well. The idea of a subterranean society would make him, like Namor, a character that brings a new mythology with him. What happened to the Sub-Terrans over the last 50+ years? Did the Mole Man and his minions and monsters take them over? Have they been eradicated by the Deviants? What if Rockman's memories are addled, and his shiny happy people underground *were* the mole people or the Deviants? Or what if they were shiny happy humanoids, but have since degenerated into the moloids, perhaps because of underground nuclear testing?

A whole rich lotta story potential, thrown away with a 'yeah, his family died' origin, which applies to just about every other freaking member of the Twelve. Yeah. That's nice Rocky. *Everyone else's families died, too! Get over yourself!*

The Witness and Black Widow seem just a hair too similar as well, albeit flip sides of the coin.

At this point, I'm wondering if Dynamic Man is actually flirting with Captain Amazing, and neither of them have figured it out yet. He makes a big point every time someone tries to stop him from baiting CA that, 'I wasn't talking to you.' He clearly thinks of himself as a step above everyone else, and it seems that CA, who has similar strength, flight and invulnerability, is the only member of the Twelve he's interested in talking to, the only one he considers a peer, and perhaps a potential 'mate.'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#483670 06/24/08 04:33 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I think DM's going to lose his mind, in a killing spree sort of way. I hope I'm wrong.

At his point, I'm having trouble seeing Black Widow as anything but a villainess, though not one of her own making. Debateably.

I didn't mind ROCKMAN's origin- though I can relate to your disappointment. Those 'what might have been' disappointments can be hard to get around.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,342
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ultra Boy's Boi
Ultra Boy's Boi
Atlanta, GA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star