Roll Call
0 members (), 17 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/26/24 04:22 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 12:53 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:51 AM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The Flash (Barry Allen)
#485052 01/04/06 05:02 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Been rereading the series. Read from the Death of Iris to the end, and now went back to issue 197.

Great series. I really miss Barry. Would not want to see him return though.

Any other "old school" Silver Age Flash fans out there?

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 02/08/17 05:33 AM.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Re: The Flash (Barry Allen)
#485053 01/04/06 05:45 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Ah yes. The Mirror Master. The Top. Captain Cold. The Rainbow Raider. Heat Wave. Gorilla Grodd. The Weather Wizard....

...and my all time favorite, the Reverse-Flash.

Wally West just ain't the Flash to me.

Percy: [on discovering the secret of alchemy]
Oh Edmund can it be true, that I hold in my mortal hands a nugget of purest GREEN??

"Blackadder"
#485054 01/04/06 06:08 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I like Wally...Waid made me like him, but Johns made me like Capt. Cold more...just came to that realization...

Barry is the best though.

#485055 01/04/06 08:00 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Sigh. They are both wonderful characters. Between the 2 of them, more interesting things have happened than to just about any other major heroic character. Barry has even been interesting as a dead/nearly dead/not quite dead yet hero. I haven't read the book in years, but Wally's character arc after Barry's death was compelling and believable.

Here's the problem. DC has f*#!&d over almost EVERY "second generation" hero in it's entire history. My god, look at Infinity, Inc. Look what Johns has now done to Hector Hall. Pol Krinn. The SW6 Legionnaires. Donna Troy/Wonder Girl. Jason Todd. The list is endless.

I loved Barry, but I thought his heroic story came to a conclusion. Maybe Wally's has, too. I don't know. But I am tired of the "kill your children" carnage at DC. Very, very tired of it.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#485056 01/04/06 09:38 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Oh, I have nothing against Wally West, who had to step into some big shoes. The problem is that I can't think of West without thinking of Kid Flash (whose costume was, IMHO, a lot better than that of the Flash).

Then again, it might just be a matter of taste. I can't think of Nightwing without thinking "Hey, isn't that the guy who used to be wearing little green pants?" Whereas seeing Tim Drake as Robin is very, very believable, to the point where I'm almost thinking of Drake as the "natural" Robin.

(Sidebar: If Superboy could travel to the future to join the LSH, why couldn't Robin have joined as a member? It would be great to see Dick Grayson or Tim Drake interacting with the Legionnaires.)

Percy: [on discovering the secret of alchemy]
Oh Edmund can it be true, that I hold in my mortal hands a nugget of purest GREEN??

"Blackadder"
#485057 01/05/06 02:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Crisis got me more interested in DC. Before I the Legion was the only title I stuck with. Would get Wolfman/Perez Titans on occassion. Also would get JLA on occassion. But most DC that i bought confused me as a kid.

Well after Crisis when I learned that Kid Flash (who i knew from Titans) became the Flash...I thought it was the coolest thing. Some old superhero I didn't care for died a heroic death and his young partner replaced him. Cool! So I really love Wally. And it fit as well. I can't imagine Dick Grayson ever becoming Batman.

(but I can imagine Tempest becoming Aquaman!) wink

#485058 01/05/06 07:12 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
The Flash was one of my favorite titles in the '70s. In fact, I think it was the only non-team book I followed when I was a kid. Wally West is not the Flash to me. I guess that's why I haven't followed the Flash since Wally took over the title.

#485059 01/05/06 09:45 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I read Barry's title sporadically when I was a kid. Barry was the first Flash I knew, but I like Wally and Jay better. I'd rather keep Wally than to get Barry back. If Wally can't be the "Flash" standard-bearer, I'd rather it be Jay.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#485060 01/05/06 03:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
I read Barry's title sporadically when I was a kid. Barry was the first Flash I knew, but I like Wally and Jay better. I'd rather keep Wally than to get Barry back. If Wally can't be the "Flash" standard-bearer, I'd rather it be Jay.
Interesting thought, Rockhopper...Only if Jay and Joan get a re-ageing zap...It would be like starting again from scratch

#485061 01/05/06 10:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
All-Star Flash as young Jay Garrick in modern times? I like that idea.

#485062 05/10/09 10:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Dev Em:
Been rereading the series. Read from the Death of Iris to the end, and now went back to issue 197.

Great series. I really miss Barry. Would not want to see him return though.

Any other "old school" Silver Age Flash fans out there?
So anyone still think the same?

Just spouting off.
#485063 05/10/09 11:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've never particularly cared for speedsters for some reason. It's a combination of the fact that "running reallly fast" as a power never excited me and the fact that they're rarely written up to their potential. (because someone moving that fast really should able to beat almost anyone they come across)

#485064 05/10/09 02:47 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I still wish he had not returned, but I am enjoying the new mini...and am eternally grateful that Geoff Johns is writing it.

#485065 05/11/09 07:34 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm enjoying it too right now. But the scariest thought I have is "What happens in a few years when Geoff eventually leaves the Flash title again?" Because to justify bringing Barry back in the first place, DC has to make sure every single issue if the best quality possible.

#485066 05/11/09 06:26 PM
Active
Active
I'm enjoying it, but I'm not liking the "driven by the death of his mother and conviction of his father to fight crime" angle, can't heroes do the right thing because, I dunno, it's right rather than be driven by some tragedy in their past?

But other than that I'm enjoying it and I'm willing to wait till all five issues are out before I get bent out of shape.

Long Live the Legion!
#485067 05/14/09 01:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm not following this. How many Flashes do we have now? Jay, Barry and Wally are all Flashes, and Bart is going back to Kid Flash?

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#485068 05/14/09 08:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, Barry was one of the characters I gravitated towards as a kid reading comics. He just seemed to inhabit this acid based world where he was the base about which all the insanity whirled and spun. Then, along about the time that Irv Novick left(it may have been his death, been a long time and I don't remember) they changed the run. Barry went to busting in doors and getting this phony cop personality grafted onto him. Then Iris was gone, and he was having a thing for Fiona and Zatanna, and it just didn't feel like Barry.

Then came crisis and his death. And I have to say that he became much more after his death. He truly took on an iconic quality that I thought he lacked as a blue collar working stiff in his "real" life. He, not superman, became the standard for the heroic ideal in the DCU superheroverse.

And now he's back. And I like Wally better, in spite of the last four years. I like that Wally took on the role when he didn't really want it. I like that he in many ways surpassed Barry because and only because he had barry's legacy to live up too. I like that he brought a return of the blue collar working man to comics, if in a roundabout way.

I like Wally better in the role of Flash now. I will always like Barry the character better, but Wally has the best, deepest, and most honest in a way characterization in the DCU.

Geoff is going to tell a great story, no doubt. But its a return of that grafted on persona that caused me to leave Barry's book in the first place.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#485069 05/16/09 10:08 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The end of REBIRTH #2-- now that turns things on their heads, doesn't it?

I like Barry and his CSI-like secret identity possibilities. I haven't been bowled over by his return to Flash-dom. The storytelling's fine.

On the whole, I'd rather read Wally as Flash, though. I'd actually like it if the afore-mentioned ending leads to something like Barry taking a different superhero ID, leaving Jay and Wally as the Flashes.

Bart's about to be back as Kid Flash-- I kind of would like to see Jenny come back in time and be Kid Flash for awhile, while Bart stayed in whatever 31st century is going to be featured and spend some time as a Legionnaire.

#485070 09/12/09 07:20 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Wow...between this series and LoTW, Geoff seems intent on bringing back a lot of characters that were dead and buried...and not in the Blackest Night sense.

#485071 09/12/09 09:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Geoff Johns has written some great comics in recent years but IMO this title is most definitely not one of them. Flash: Rebirth #4 was almost incomprehensible to me.

I'll pick up the final two issues in this mini because Comic Series Completion Disorder (CSCD) is an AMA-recognised disease and I am an unfortunate sufferer of it but the new ongoing(s?) will almost certainly not be on my pull-list.

#485072 09/12/09 09:32 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
He's still got 2 issues to straighten things out. I have hopes that the whole thing will make total sense by the time it's done. I get the gist of everything so far.

#485073 09/13/09 04:50 PM
Active
Active
Personally, I thought #4 was terrific, having just read it. I can only assume the confusion comes from the circumstances of Thawne's retunr not being explained. Thawne alludes to an enemy of Barry's being behind it, though it apparently hasn't happened yet. This is easily explainable by speedsters' access to time travel. And I'm sure we'll learn the circumstances of Thawne's return in the remaining issues.

I'm actually pretty thrilled to see Thawne's return, moreso than Barry's! To me, Thawne is the ultimate Flash villain, and there's been quite a void ever since he was killed off. I'm pretty surprised, actually, as Johns worked so hard to build up Hunter Zolomon as the new Zoom over his tenure writing the Flash. Zolomon never really worked for me though. It's actually really odd to see a writer who associated himself so strongly with Wally and Zolomon come back to the property with Barry and Thawne.

I like the Speed Force having a "dark side" as a new wrinkle. I mean, the Speed Force has always been a bit of a riff on Star Wars' Force, so I don't really mind Johns taking things a bit further. I also like the innovation here that Barry actually created or even is the Speed Force. It's a logical way to justify bringing him back and establishing him as the prime Flash. I'm not completely sold on bringing Barry back, mind you, but it's a step in the right direction.

What does vex me more and more is Iris and reconciling her history with where she is now. During the storyline that first brought us Bart Allen and into Waid's run and the Impulse title, Iris was an older woman, possibly old enough to be collecting social security. Now she's young again with no explanation that I know of. One could argue all this is post-Infinite Crisis continuity, but she still had to have had children and grandchildren! Bart and Jenni anyone? I've heard of hot grandmas, but COME ON!

So overall, I'd say that Thawne's return is redeeming Rebirth for me, though I'm not without concerns.

#485074 09/13/09 10:05 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Honestly, I think that while Geoff's original run on Flash was his way of distancing his direction from that of the popular Waid era that preceded his, Flash: Rebirth is connecting with and building on the mythology that Waid built up. There wasn't much talk of the Speed Force or much focus on the Flash family of heroes or even time travel that were all Waid hallmarks when Johns wrote the Flash. Suddenly, they're all very prominent in Rebirth whereas Johns' wrinkles, such as the focus on the Rogues are barely a part of the story if at all.

As someone who preferred Waid's run and what he did for the mythology, I applaud Johns for bringing all those elements back.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#485075 09/14/09 01:45 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It might just be me then. I've never liked the Speed Force as a concept (though to be fair I've never read Waid's run on this title so I might've missed all the good stories using it) so the heavy focus on in it in this tale might be part of the reason I'm being turned off.

I think the other issue I'm having with this story is that it seems to me to be all "sound and fury" but with very little focus. It reads to me like Geoff is throwing everything into it to make it BIG! and IMPORTANT! but not plotting the beats or even setting up the characters very well. (This Barry Allen for example reads very little like the Barry Allen I remember.)

Then there's the horrible retcon involving Barry's parents... but I hear an explanation is forthcoming on that one so I'll keep an open mind.

I'm not totally hating this book though - I also am happy to see 'Professor' Zoom back as well as Max Mercury and Johnny Quick (brief as it was) and the de-aging of Iris can only be a good thing IMO.

I think I was just hoping that Flash Rebirth would be more of a Barry Allen story and so far it seems to be more of an All-Flash/Speed Force story and since the new ongoing sounds like it'll be following the same format - I don't think it'll be a book for me.

#485076 09/21/09 11:35 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm witholding judgement on the entire Rebirth mini as thus far I'm on the fence about several issues.

One thing that did surprise me was that Geoff opted to keep Max Mercury alive. I think this was a great move on his part even if it means there is another speedster. It goes against everything he's been doing lately (or at least feels) and I wonder if he recognizes some of the criticism towards him that he's kill-happy.

As to Iris's age and the long, convuluted history of Barry and Iris through time, I think that's a thread Geoff plans to expand on, given his recent interviews. The explanation will of course be: time travel, but it'll be interesting to see the nuts and bolts of it.

I'm still clueless as to what this all means for Wally and Linda and the *groan* Flash kids who still remain a never-ending annoyance.

#485077 11/21/09 05:48 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well. 5 is finally out, and we have another full fledged speeder, or two, on our hands. Jesse is back...and there is a new Impulse.

So we have Jay, Barry and Wally...Flashes all. Max and Bart (Kid Flash). Jesse and a new female Impulse. Plus XS in the Legion.

A lot of Speedsters again...but That's okay. I likes all of them.

As far as the story itself...it answers a lot of questions. A lot. I can live with the answer, I mean it is a comic...and someone will eventually come up with something else to explain certain things.

I believe that Zoom is being utilized as the Duex Ex Machina here, and I'm not sure why Geoff is changing some of the things he has. Will wait for final judgment on that until next issue. Will the changes to Barry's life stick, or be reversed again.

#485078 03/04/10 10:12 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
6 is out. I personally liked it. I am rereading the entire thing to put it all into perspective. Updates to follow.

Can't wait for the regular series.

#485079 03/07/10 11:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Sorry Dev, but this was just a perfect example of why Barry was removed and replaced by Wally. It was just a dull story for me.

John's needs to shorten up his stories a bit if he wants to maintain the excitement level.

Just spouting off.
#485080 03/07/10 10:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think the failure of Flash: Rebirth had less to do with the fact that it was about Barry Allen and more to do with the fact that Geoff Johns wrote a completely boring story with mediocre art by the internet's most overrated artist, Ethan Van Sciver.

#485081 03/08/10 01:26 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
The main problem for me was trying to shoehorn so many little side things into the story, which is odd to say since it felt drug out.

I also think that Geoff Johns is overextending himself at this point.

#485082 03/09/10 07:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Have to admit that it wasn't the best story. And having to wait for Ethan's art, while very nice, was not worth the lost of impetus the story suffered.

and while I too have wondered about Iris' deaging, even more is that she was DEAD. There was a Body. She had a Funeral. I'm sure they will say it was faked, but then, how do they account for all this time with Bart? She's clearly been seen by others, and seen while being much older, I might add.

I fear that while we will probably get some great stores, there may also be a mess created by bringing Barry back. I really do feel that he worked best as the Hero In Death that he had become.

Something pithy!
#485083 03/09/10 09:32 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^^^ Do you mean Iris' original death at the hands of Professor Zoom way back when before the first Crisis Rick?

'Cause that got explained away years ago in Barry's original series. Can't remember the details now but it had something to do with her returning to the future (where she was born) just before her death and some duplicate body or other being left in her place. Barry eventually discovered this fact and journeyed back to the 30th Century with her at the end of his original series, where they lived happily for a few months (and conceived the Tornado Twins) before the events of the Crisis drew Barry out of retirement.

Unless there's another Iris-death that I'm unaware of.

#485084 03/16/10 06:15 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
She was older when she came back with Bart in Wally's series. I think it's a little thing that thery're just kinda glossing over. I don't have a problem with that so much as the alterations to Barry's origin. no need for it to have been done. Zoom has been shown to be a complete psychopath before...this just feels like overkill.

The only thing I will say is that at least Geoff didn't tie in several villian origins to his retelling like he did with Green Lantern. It seemed a little forced there, and would have felt worse here.

I think if this book had come out on time, it would have seemed more fluid and not so easlily taken apart. Coming up with ideas of one's own can detract fromthe story that eventually plays out. The Matrix being a prime example. I heard great theories as to what the ending "could" be at the time...the movie fell flat because there was such an expectation to see something that you wanted to see...not what the creators had in mind.

I also think he overtaxed himself with the Blackest Night crossover, trying to do LSH and Superboy, etc. To many things at once...

#485085 03/17/10 04:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
"'Cause that got explained away years ago in Barry's original series. Can't remember the details now but it had something to do with her returning to the future (where she was born) just before her death and some duplicate body or other being left in her place. Barry eventually discovered this fact and journeyed back to the 30th Century with her at the end of his original series, where they lived happily for a few months (and conceived the Tornado Twins) before the events of the Crisis drew Barry out of retirement.

Unless there's another Iris-death that I'm unaware of."

Exactly. It was explained to Barry, but what about all the people they knew that saw the body? The people at work that witnessed the funeral. It wasn't a duplicate, a clone, etc. The people that were friends and family, that saw what Barry went through.

Its easy enough to do...chemical induced coma set up by feds, etc. But they still haven't done it so suddenly, a woman that was dead appears and is decades older, only to suddenly be younger again with Barry's return.

In the words of Vinnie Barbarino..."They're so confused....!!!"

Something pithy!
#485086 03/25/10 07:16 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I've got to say I was pretty underwhelmed by this whole thing, especially the final issue. I'll admit that I'm against Barry returning, so my expectations were high for Geoff & Ethan to provide one of the greatest Flash stories of all time to get me on board. They didn't.

Now we've got Barry back and with little to get me excited about the new Flash series in regards to the Flashes & the premise. Of course, on the other hand, I love reading Geoff write the Rogues, Keystone & Central, the supporting characters and dig into Flash history.

But this was probably the weakest major Geoff Johns story in quite a long time. Too bad.

#485087 03/25/10 02:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It just seemed...lost amid all the "big" happenings from DC. It was dragged out to the point that I really didn't remember the story from issue to issue. Better stories were being told...

Something pithy!
#485088 03/25/10 05:15 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Flash: Rebirth really pretty much served the same function as GL: Rebirth did for Hal, which was to set up the new relaunched series and restore a classic character to the mantle that had been filled by another character for many years.

The difference was that Hal's story had a LOT of baggage that needed to be cleaned up, and taking up that challenge resulted in a very memorable story. In Barry's case he'd already been restored in the pages of Final Crisis, so his series was all about re-establishing who the character is. With not that much baggage to clean up, some external conflict had to be injected by John's in the process.

What it boils down to is that both series were designed as trailers to the relaunched series that would follow. There was a lot more story in GL's version because there was a doozy of a knot to untie. For Flash, we mostly get all the set-up without all the zing that Hal's trailer would require by necessity.

Basically, Rebirth reads more like the beginning of the ongoing than its own event, and I think that's where a lot of the disappointment stems from. I mean, the first half of #6 quickly resolves the Reverse Flash problem, and the rest is a series of quick scenes teasing events coming up in the regular series.

Maybe if they'd held off bringing Barry back 'til Rebirth, it would've helped. In Final Crisis, with the limited attention it got, Barry's return felt more like a footnote. I mean, could it have been downplayed any more than it was in FC?!?! We should've gotten some shock and awe, but we never did. There was no way for Rebirth to provide that when the opportunity was already missed! Geoff tried to find a way to deliver that emotional punch, but it was already too late.

So I appreciate Flash: Rebirth for what it really was: the first 6 issues of the new Barry Allen Flash ongoing series. Hopefully, next month's number 7 will continue to be a decent read.

#485089 04/09/10 10:48 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Flash Secret Files and Origins 2010 (at least it was only 3.99)

The story in this issue could/should have been in the final pages of the Rebirth mini. It's a bridging tale from the mini to the regular series, essentially to explain why Barry could not undo what Zoom had done.

I almost would have liked to see a page or two of vignettes of different Flash supporting characters and villians reacting to the Flash's return.

The "In case the Flash returns...Break Glass" thing in Scudders old haunt should prove to be interesting.

The profile pages were nice to look at, if not a bit boring in contect...except for:

John Fox is lost in time...interesting to see that Geoff seems to revisit this Flash from the future.

Capt. Boomerangs profile blocked out...why? Is it not who we all think it is?

A good read overall, love that Kollins artwork on this series.

#485090 04/23/10 08:16 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Issue #1.

Good issue, establishing the status quo.

Witness protection to explain his absence...and probably Iris' as well.

Great scene with Boomer (who I'd love to see meet up with Waller at some point.)

New threat from the future...cool.

#485091 04/23/10 01:13 PM
Active
Active
i thought john fox was with justice legion in dc 1 million?

Bring back the super-cousins
#485092 04/23/10 01:19 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Maybe he was...but something apparently happened. Hopefully he'll get to it sooner than later.

#485093 04/23/10 09:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I got 1, but it will be my final issue if the series doesn't drop to $2.99 with issue 2.

I am just unwilling to pay the extra dollar for 3-4 unecessary splash pages and a double-page spread for a shot that would work in an oversized panel!

JUSTICE LEAGUE of AMERICA better watch out, too...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#485094 04/23/10 09:23 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
It drops with issue 2 to 2.99.

#485095 04/23/10 10:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Good! I'll get it then..

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#485096 04/25/10 11:58 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Flash Fact: I loved Geoff's Flash run with Wally, which I consider some of the best work he's ever done.

Flash Fact: I was both (A) annoyed and underwhelmed by the idea of Barry coming back and (B) incredibly disappointed with Flash: Rebirth.

I have now picked up both the Secret Files and #1. Regarding the Secret Files, I remember in the 90's when they would come out all the time and I really liked them a lot. Over the last few years I can't remember the last time I enjoyed one, to the point where I hardly ever buy them anymore. However, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit! It was good to catch up on the Rogues, on the Flash mythos and on the supporting cast (old and new).

Flash #1 was also a pretty good start. Manapul's art continues to improve. Where it was once the only good thing about the threeboot Legion (too bad he had to waste it on such a crappy Legion), here he has a bit more direction to work with and it shows. His city views are great and the action & speed really flow well.

For the first time since his return, Barry is someone we can relate with and try to pin down and that is refreshing. I really like the way Manapul draws him and Iris--they look young and attractive. Manapul's art and Geoff's brief interaction between the two of them helped solidify in my mind their relationship a bit more. That's a hurdle that Geoff will have to overcome for me, because the Iris/Barry relationship is not one I know well anymore and I'm used to the excellent Wally/Linda relationship.

Very glad to see the set-up for Central City's CSI unit. The characters and scenarios stemming from there could help make the Flash a much more interesting comic. I like the idea of unsolved cases and innocents being put in prison--it gives a huge backlog of things Barry is going to have to correct. I hope we see a lot of that too; I want a good mix between Rogues & supervillain craziness, combined with some good CSI type stuff (sci-fi related naturally). So Barry is doing all kinds of different things, like the old old days when Robert Kanigher would write as many stories as John Broome so some stories were completely different than the others.

The Rogues, of course, as awesome as always. *That* is the thing I'm most anticipating from Geoff, as its just one of the best things he's ever done. I want all of them--favorites & obscure. Even the new Trickster I like. Weather Wizard, one of the Rogues that used to be one who I thought least about, became a favorite during Geoff's run with Wally.

I thought the Mirror Master in the issue for a minute was Scudder and it would mean the return of the original Mirror Master (who in my mind is the true original nemesis for Barry, not Zoom).

Really looking for a Gorilla Grodd appearance.

I hope we don't get too right into Zoom. I feel even though he was dead for years, he's been very overused for awhile. I expect a solid Zoom story down the line but I don't want to rush into it too much.

All in all, a good start. I'm glad its reverting to $2.99 though. As Lash points out, there were way too many splash pages for one issue. Like I said, I like the art, but that many splash pages feels a little like laziness.

#485097 04/25/10 12:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
After the disappointment of Rebirth I'm purposely not buying the new Flash ongoing.

Watch out for me scrambling to buy back-issues a couple of years down the line when Johns turns this book into the DC lynchpin that he turned Green Lantern into. shocked

#485098 04/25/10 12:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Francis' art is worth the buy.

#485099 04/25/10 03:01 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blacula:
After the disappointment of Rebirth I'm purposely not buying the new Flash ongoing.

Watch out for me scrambling to buy back-issues a couple of years down the line when Johns turns this book into the DC lynchpin that he turned Green Lantern into. shocked
Why don't you at least Byrne read the first issue and then decide?

#485100 04/25/10 10:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ I don't have a fast enough computer to do that Dev. I wouldn't even know where to look anyway.

My old shop let people read comics in the store so I'd get an idea if a book was one I wanted to follow that way.

I think I'll just follow online reviews for the next few months and then decide whether I want to get into it then.

#485101 05/10/10 01:38 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper

#485102 05/10/10 02:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
#1 was good enough that I'm sticking around for a while. We'll see how things go.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#485103 05/10/10 02:16 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I read #1 a few days ago and enjoyed it. The story was nothing revolutionary but it was well-told and well-drawn by Johns and Manapul. With Geoff haven already given Keystone City its own flavor back during his run with Wally, he looks to give Central City an identity of its own. Lots of table-setting here and not much happening in the way of standalone satisfaction.

This looks to be a much different series than Geoff's Wally West work, and that's a good thing. Even with familiar elements like the Rogues carrying over (and we wouldn't want it any other way!), Geoff is working hard to give us a sense of who Barry is as a character. I feel like this will be a must-read and another feather in Geoff's cap. Hopefully he and Francis will be here for the long haul.

#485104 05/17/10 07:16 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Catching up on DC's most exciting superhero comics, I found myself drawn immediately to the Flash, showing #1 left a bigger mark on me than I first thought. The reason is two-fold: Geoff did everything right in #1 and left his annoying habits at the door, and Frances Manupal's artwork is just incredible to behold.

That continues with #2. Manupal has really emerged as one of the best artists in comics IMO, in about a year's time. You can even see the difference in quality from his beautiful Legion work to now, where its even more dynamic and gorgeous. I think at this point he might be getting close to where I'd pick up anything he did hereafter, even Herbie.

Geoff also shows off his writing talent in the way that originally made me a big fan of his: tight, character driven stories with a ton of characters and lots of fast-paced action. I really like that Geoff began the first arc with this Rogues of the 25th Century storyline, because it seems so out of left field. It goes against expectations that he would jump right into the Rogues or do a more continuity-driven thing. Good for him. A solid Flash story that stands on its own was desperately needed.

The concept is also where Geoff shines: a pretty simple concept that seems natural to the overall scheme of things. If the Flash of the 25th Century (Zoom) is evil, then what if the Rogues were good? Simple yet brilliant.

With GL crossover free and Geoff writing Flash like this, this might a thrilling era of Geoff getting back to what he does best and not doing the things I find so annoying.

Also enjoying the plethora of subplots: Barry at work, taking on cases no one else will and Captain Boomerang about to make an overdue triumphant return. I'd forgotten how pathetic he was at the end, and that he also killed Tim Drake's father. But it happened nonetheless, and I'm glad Captain Cold called him on it.

#485105 05/19/10 07:33 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
That was a beautifully drawn issue. The apartment building thing was great. The end beat was great...it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

The future Rogues are interesting...but I love the real deal in this issue. Dang, Johns has really turned them into stars. They seriously have a mini or something.

#485106 07/26/10 01:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I just read last month's issue number 3--what a terrific comic this is shaping up to be! I think Geoff and Francis are hittin' this one out of the park! My favorite two elements of Flash stories are time travel and the Rogues--the introduction of the Renegades combines both of those elements, so I'm in seventh Flash heaven (or should I say the Speed Force)!

I also think Geoff is getting a better grasp on Barry's character. It's pretty subtle stuff, but that works for Barry because he's not an in-your-face kind of hero. I'm also enjoying Iris and Barry as a couple (though her de-aging still bugs me--even though Bart was rapidly-aged, she still raised the Tornado Twins to adulthood, damnit!). Their interaction feels pretty real.

The only thing that bugs me about the Renegades plot is why are they arresting Barry before he supposedly commits the murder? Are they trying to prevent the murder? If that's not their goal, then imprisoning Barry at this point would certainly cause a paradox, wouldn't it?

That aside, it's fun to see a good (though puzzlingly reckless) version of the Rogues from the future. I'm sure the inevitable confrontation between Rogues and Renegades will be lots of fun!

Bring it on!

#485107 07/27/10 06:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It has been a strong book so far, and with "Flashpoint" in the works and the announcement of a Flash-family book for next year it's clear that Johns has a mandate to do for Barry what he did for Hal.

It will be interesting to see if he can pull it off.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#485108 07/27/10 06:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
For Jenni's sake, of course.

#485109 07/28/10 07:05 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
After reading #3, I have to say based on the first 3 issues this is a contender for DC's best superhero comic book. Johns and Manupal are just clicking on all levels. I could keep showering praise every issue but I'll just be repeating myself.

Manupal is shaping up to be one of the very best artists in comics. His Iris is stunningly beautiful but not over the top. Barry is handsome and leading manish but not 'pretty' by any means. The Central City 'busy' backgrounds are just fantastic and I could stare at them all day.

I loved the way Geoff is having so many different things going on: the Renegades main storyline, the return of Captain Boomerang, the subplot about Jason Hicks (which shows Barry deals with real cop stuff too) and the big focus on the supporting cast, including Iris. Whereas the GL comic is currently in a very cosmic/grand scale mode still, the Flash comic is still very much down to Earth and grounded to the regular people. Reading them together is a nice combination from one very good writer.

#485110 07/30/10 05:30 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Issue #4 was another great issue. Johns and Manupal, like Cobie says, are producing a really fun honest to God super-hero comic here.

What kills me is that Johns writes this *one great example of how fun comics can be)...and is writing Brightest Day (one of the chief comics that shows whats wrong with comics today).

#485111 07/30/10 11:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ To each his own Dev Em but I think calling Brightest Day "one of the chief comics that shows whats wrong with comics today" is so far from what I consider to be the truth that I have to respond to it.

IMO there are much, much, much, MUCH worse books out there than that one. And also IMO - it's a very fun comic. It may not be fun-Ha-Ha like I imagine Generation Lost might be (I'm not reading it so I don't know) but it's very fun-interesting/exciting in my eyes and I'm fascinated with where the stories of Aquaman/Mera/Martian Manhunter/Hawk/Dove/etc are going in it.

Could I have done without the two instances of ultra-violence? Yes. And I'd like to see much less of that in comics too. But I'm not gonna hold those two incidents against the quality of the rest of the book. Which has been chock-a-block full of story IMO. In fact, I'm gonna flip your comment around and say that I wish MORE comics today had as much going on in them as this one does.

---

Getting back on topic - still kinda regretting not buying The Flash since it has obviously been getting great reviews from all sides, but at the same time I'm kinda happy with myself for making a stand and not blowing my money on certain titles. As the prices keep going up I'm just gonna have to keep making hard decisions like this one.

#485112 08/01/10 07:25 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blacula:
^ To each his own Dev Em but I think calling Brightest Day "one of the chief comics that shows whats wrong with comics today" is so far from what I consider to be the truth that I have to respond to it.

IMO there are much, much, much, MUCH worse books out there than that one. And also IMO - it's a very fun comic. It may not be fun-Ha-Ha like I imagine Generation Lost might be (I'm not reading it so I don't know) but it's very fun-interesting/exciting in my eyes and I'm fascinated with where the stories of Aquaman/Mera/Martian Manhunter/Hawk/Dove/etc are going in it.

Could I have done without the two instances of ultra-violence? Yes. And I'd like to see much less of that in comics too. But I'm not gonna hold those two incidents against the quality of the rest of the book. Which has been chock-a-block full of story IMO. In fact, I'm gonna flip your comment around and say that I wish MORE comics today had as much going on in them as this one does.

---

Getting back on topic - still kinda regretting not buying The Flash since it has obviously been getting great reviews from all sides, but at the same time I'm kinda happy with myself for making a stand and not blowing my money on certain titles. As the prices keep going up I'm just gonna have to keep making hard decisions like this one.
Like I said over in the BD thread (repeated here for those not following convos in multiple threads), it's not the actual writing or that itself...it is the cases of ultra violence shown on panel that is what is wrong with the book, and the trand in comics (from both major Super-hero comics publishers) today. Violence and even gore can have its place in comics (Vertigo/Max/Icon/etc) just not in mainstream hero comics that kids can grab off the shelf.

The Flash and Adventure Comics so far have been comics that show a lighter atmosphere, yet no less dangerous situations in comics. I can hand either one to my 9 year old and not have to worry about her having nightmares about what she saw drawn in a comic...especially one that touts a "Brightest Day" banner on the top. Which DC can proclaim does not mean anything, but it certainly is being pushed as such overall.

Just my 2 cents to clarify my stance.

#485113 08/20/10 01:14 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Finally read issue 4 today--OUTSTANDING!!!

Loved the helicopter rescue scene, and the Renegade Top's unwillingness to let Barry go down without being warned at the apparent upcoming cost to the Top's life.

We get confirmation of exactly what it the circumstances are that surround what the Flash will supposedly do to cause him to be hunted down. It's a fascinating story, especially given that there were no "flash-forward" images to accompany it. Is this what Flashpoint will be about, or will it be resolved in this storyline? Either way, I'm intrigued!

Still want the whys and wherefores explaining why the Renegades would want to arrest Barry before he kills Mirror Monarch. Preventing MM's death appears off the table, so that bit still confuses me. Anyone have an idea about that?

In any case I hope these Renegades aren't disposable characters. I think they're hella-cool and would love to see them appear more and be developed further after this storyline!

#485114 08/31/10 07:58 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So in #4 what stuck out for me in a big way was the Renegade Top stepping up and becoming a much more complicated character than he first appeared--this added some solid depth to the Renegades and really upped the story IMO.

The series is outstanding as Lardy says and IMO has overtaken Green Lantern as Geoff's best title.

One minor complaint is it reads a bit too quickly (a common Geoff complaint for latter parts of long stories) in that there are perhaps a few too many splash pages and dialogue-less panels. *However*, Geoff has Frances providing some killer art so it takes away any sting.

Also the best Captain Boomerang since Suicide Squad, and for many years, the character hit a point where I almost preferred not to see him show up--something no other Rogue ever did. Glad to see him restored to glory.

I also feel like the first Mirror Master--a contender for Barry's greatest villain--might be returning somehow. Anyone else sensing this? I'm not opposed to it if it's done well.

#485115 10/02/10 04:55 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Issue 5.

All I'm gong to say about the actual story is this...very well played Mr. Johns. Wonderful twist thrown in there.

The Brightest Day thing thrown in the middle was kinda useless...but not terrible.

The art in this book is unbelievable.

#485116 10/30/10 09:04 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
#5 continues the high level of quality on this comic in all forms. Frances' art is just so good that it almost makes me want to weep tears of joy. And Geoff is doing his very best work right now here.

I really liked the twist with one of the Renegades and I'm really curious for how this all will turn out.

I liked the 'Barry meeting Mirror Master II' sequence. That was really cool. Barry never got to really know that the first Mirror Master died since his death happened while Barry was imprisoned by the Anti-Monitor. I'd like to someday see what his reaction was since the first MM was Barry's true arch-nemesis, only comparable to Zoom.

My one complaint was the Brightest Day sequence was incredibly pointless and stupidly included. I hate when they do this.

#485117 10/30/10 08:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Minor correction from a Crisis loving freak laugh - Barry had already sacrificed himself when Sam Scudder died. Barry died in #8. Mirror Master in #12. But your point is correct - we haven't seen Barry's reaction to that passing yet.

#485118 10/30/10 09:45 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I thought MM died when the villains failed to stop Krona in #7 or #8? Now I have to reread.

#485119 10/30/10 11:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
He did - but that happened in #12... I think. You've got me starting to doubt myself.

But it definitely wasn't #7 (that was all about the big raid on the anti-matter universe and Supergirl's death) or #8 (which was Barry's big heroic sacrifice issue).

... OK some quick internet research tells me it was #10 that Mirror Master, Icicle and Maaldor the Dark Lord were all killed by Krona in. Earlier than I was thinking but still after Barry's passing.

I do need to re-read that series one day. I love it so much. I've been wanting to get the Absolute version for ages. I might see if someone wants to get it for me for Christmas. smile

#485120 01/02/11 08:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
You know what? Flash is IMO the very best ongoing title being published set in the DCU! Now, I don't read every single comic DC puts out, but I've a hard time believing there's one better.

Flash #7, featuring a spotlight on Captain Boomerang, was terrific. Even though Barry Allen only appeared in flashback, this was a very entertaing focus on a character recently returned to life at the conclusion of Blackest Night. Clearly, his return enhances the rising profile of the Rogues and gives them someone who is a part of them while also being on the outs with them

As acclaimed as Geoff's run was on the Wally West version of the character, it never really clicked with me for some reason. Here with Barry Allen, Geoff is clicking on all cylinders with me.

It's suddenly occurred to me that I may have hit on the reason. In Geoff's run with Wally, the Rogues were also heavily featured. The difference is that the Rogues were Barry's foes much moreso than Wally's.I know Geoff did what he could to enhance them and make them Wally's own, but they just go more naturally with the guy they were literally created for. I always loved the Rogues, but their chemistry with Wally wasn't what it was with Barry. Waid used them very sparingly on his run with Wally, which is part of why I may hold his run in higher regard.

I especially enjoyed Geoff's spotlight here on Digger Harkness. I'm a fan of the character from his days with the Suicide Squad. Here, Geoff sheds some light on the character's motivations while avoiding making him overly sympathetic. Framing the flashbacks around Digger breaking into Iron Heights to meet with the Reverse Flash is effective. Professor Zoom is my favorite nemesis for Barry, and I'm excited to see the next issue focus on him and the ramifications of this one's events.

Where this issue falters a bit is that Digger's whole motivation for talking to Zoom ties into Brightest Day. The crossovers (though truthfully fairly minor) with that event in this series are intrusive to what has been an otherwise self-contained and superlative reading experience. I suppose it's difficult to ignore given Digger and Zoom being amongst the resurrectees, but I'd rather Digger's motivations were a little more internal.

Scott Kolins did the art this issue, and I'm really continuing to dig his new style. He's really just about as good here as regular artist Francis Manapul. Scott's been involved here so much (with backups and variant covers) already that you get the feeling he really wanted to be the series artist in the first place, perhaps having gotten back the itch for the Flash universe from when he was Geoff's primary partner on the Wally west run. Honestly, when Manapul inevitably leaves, Scott would be my number one choice to replace him.

Overall, this was a terrific issue. I loved particularly how the boomerang motif was used to show how all the bad Digger's done has come back to haunt him. I particularly would've liked some spotlight in the flashback to have been given to Digger's departed son, the second Capt. Boomerang, in light of the father issues Digger is shown to have had in his life.

A great standalone story, though a new reader might have hoped for more Flash in his own book! It was probably a little too soon to have a non-Barry issue after only six issues but is a treat for longtime fans of the character.

Lardy's rating for Flash #7: 4 donuts! (out of five)

#485121 01/03/11 09:19 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Just reread 1 - 6 and 7 of the new series.

Issues 1 - 6 read much better as a whole group...showing the signs of being written for trade. I enjoyed the issues as they came out...enjoyed it more as a whole though.

There is not enough that can be said about Manapuls' art on this book. It is just beautiful. They always called Superman the boyscout, but I always thought it really would have fit Barry better, and Francis' art here conveys a sort of clean look that shows you can be a person driven by morals and still have a good story told about you. In a comic industry that seems to want to make everyone gritty, The Flash is showing that it does not have to be to be a good book.

Issue 7, the Boomer issue, was great as well. Kollins newer style (man, this guy reinvents himself every few years, and keeps getting better) is nice for these Rogue issues. Gives it a throwback to Geoffs original run profile issues. Boomer is here in all his glory..and like Lardy, I would have liked to see his son touched upon...but I guess you cannot have everything.

The Zoom thing thrown in here seemed forced, and I will be glad when the Brightest Day crap is over with. I am sure Geoff will incorporate everything nicely, but every hint of it so far in this book has jarred me out of the flow of the story.

#485122 01/03/11 09:27 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Chief Lardy:
You know what? Flash is IMO the very best ongoing title being published set in the DCU! Now, I don't read every single comic DC puts out, but I've a hard time believing there's one better.
I'm in agreement. CBRM will help determine if there are any that come close, but right now, I think Flash is the best thing DC is publishing, hands down!

#485123 01/03/11 09:30 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Books like this, The Atom backup (God, I hope they give him a monthly with the current team) and Booster Gold is why the DCU is still, for me anyway, hitting on more cylinders than Marvel. I need to catch up on Superboy...and I hope that it too has some of the same themes going on.

#485124 01/03/11 09:36 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^I'm not sure if DC is better than Marvel right now (though I have to admit, Marvel in Dec 2010 is not as good as Marvel in Dec 2009), but I plan to give it a thorough analysis this month.

I do think you'll be impressed by the quality of Superboy, which I've been enjoying.

#485125 01/03/11 09:41 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
That's why I said that for me...DC is better. I like storytelling that does not solely rely on shock value to achieve a good story. Yes, DC does enough of that, but Marvel has destroyed or killed most of the characters that I care about, and continues to make the one that I would read an overly dark and gritty book( at least from what I have seen.) I would prefer an approach like Booster Gold to Spiderman...humor and drama...without the total personality change in the main character and friends.

It's a personal thing...I dropped Brightest Day because the graphic scenes do nothing for me in a super hero book. Again, it's a personal taste thing for me.

#485126 01/03/11 01:11 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
You guys are making the new Flash book sound awfully tempting.

One question, though, has there been any Johns-brand tomato sauce in Flash? I know there was in Flash: Rebirth, along with a retcon that Barry's parents were killed by Zoom (WT...?)

I, personally, really hope that the original Mirror Master doesn't return, because that would only spell doom for Evan McCulloch, one of my favorite villains of the past 25 years (even though my last JLA fanfic turned out to be a washout, I did enjoy writing Evan and Poison Ivy.)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#485127 01/03/11 01:36 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Nothing that I can think of off the top of my head. It's been pretty straightforward heroics. There is the boring things that have to do with Brightest Day in there, but for the most part those are pretty few and have to do with Boomer-butt. It also feels as if a lot of it is setting up his coming Flashpoint event...but that does not mean that the ride isn't fun.

Check the trade when the library gets it...I think you'll like it better than most of the other stuff Johns is putting out.

#485128 01/03/11 02:01 PM
Thank you, Bug. I definitely will give the trade a go when it arrives.

#485129 01/06/11 09:23 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
FL, I also recommend you give Flash a try. Like Dev says, it's been full-on superheroics so far. Of all the Johns books, this one has been the one with the good-Geoff qualities without his bad-Geoff qualities.

#485130 01/07/11 11:24 AM
Thanks, Cobie. I'm actually looking forward to the trade now.

#485131 01/13/11 08:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Can't say that I'm really impressed by this flash run so far. Its been really slow after the rebirth, which wasn't really... it didn't grab me the way Hal's story did.

to many things stick in my mind, like, how is grandma Iris now looking like she's twenty five without an explanation to those that knew her before she went into "witness protection". And even then, I didn't see her as a twenty five year old, more like an early thirties modern woman and wife.

Something pithy!
#485132 05/16/11 08:13 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I caught up on the build-up issues to Flashpoint and I can't help but feel that Geoff is slightly phoning it in here--like the man is way too overstretched with his other job. Something else else about these issues, while not bad or anything, just felt like they were a bit run of the mill, and more than a little padded.

Compounding matters is Scott Kollin's artwork, which I've always kind of enjoyed, just isn't it doing it for me. When Manupal does an issue with Johns, his art is so gorgeous it takes a mediocre Geoff story and makes it great; when Kollins does it, he's unable to add that little 'oomph', revealing the story for what it is: only okay.

The first 6 issues of the Barry Flash comic were full of promise and potential. The next six failed to live up to it and spent way too much time building to Geoff's next big event. I felt like it was really lacking in character moments and way too plot centric (and a pretty thin plot at that).

#485133 05/16/11 11:45 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I agree that the last 6 issues felt like total filler to get to Flashpoint. Since I love Barry Allen, I am still glad that he is in his own book again (although I would have been fine with him remaining dead...but I'll enjoy what I can get at this point.)

There is so much more that could have been done...but the books are now written for trades, at least it seems that way to me.

#485134 05/16/11 02:15 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
It's odd: when Barry was brought back, I felt it was groan-inducing and just another annoying thing DC had done. But those first 6 issues wowed me and basically won me over.

Now these last 6 issues are pushing me back to the other side.

I think you're dead on--it's written for a trade, to be marketed as "the road to Flashpoint".

#485135 09/03/11 04:23 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy108/djsopko/ZorroRidesagain2A.jpg

Article on Barry Allen's marriage in the DCnU.

Basically, it's cooler to have him single and dating a co-worker than show one of our heroes in a well adjusted marriage. So not understanding this. But I know that the new DC is not for me...Legion of Super Heroes aside.

#485136 09/05/11 03:53 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
I'm intrigued by that revelation too. I would think Barry being married, and possibly having to HIDE his super heroics, would be a far cooler (and unique premise) for him in the DCNu. If anyone could attempt to make it work, it would be the fastest man alive.

#485137 09/05/11 03:02 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I bet he's dating that chick Johns introduced in the last case before Flashpoint.

#485138 09/05/11 03:08 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yep. You would be correct. Cause that's what all the cool kids want to read about.

#485139 09/05/11 03:15 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
She seemed cool, but she's no Iris. A Fiona whatsername (or whoever) at best! nod

The only plus I can see is that a reboot cleans up all that mess with Iris being old and then young again and whether she ever gave birth to Don and Dawn and whether she ever brought Bart back with her from the future or ever wrote Barry's biography and all that crap that annoyed me.

No reason he couldn't be married to, or at least dating, Iris, though. shake

#485140 09/28/11 03:59 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
FLASH #1: Now this was a fine story-- I liked the way it was paced and how it showed us some of the ins and outs of this Flash's life. It led to a cliffhanger that was unexpected and left me wanting more.

I don't like that the Iris/Barry relationship has been 'erased', but the possibility of it developing is there. I don't dislike her 'rival'.

I'm still pissed at Wally West's continued absence from the new canvas, though. And DC's attitude about the whole thing.

#485141 10/02/11 12:30 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, the biggest surprise of the entire DCnU relaunch IMO was Flash #1! Quite frankly, this was a revelation! I was cautious heading into the issue and within the first two pages, I knew I’d totally underestimated it. By issue’s end, I was absolutely blown away by how damn good it was. Francis Manupal and Brian Buccelato have not only delivered one of the very best issues of the entire relaunch, but they’ve written probably the best Barry Allen Flash story since the early 1980’s!

I knew from the last Flash run (and other things) that the team of Francis Manupal on art (pencils / inks) and Brian Buccelato on colors is fantastic. And I really mean ‘team’, because the colors really add an added layer to Francis’ spectacular work; it was clear on Superboy in Adventure Comics, then the last Flash series, and it still is here. Even more, they really take their art up a notch in a big way. Whereas in the last series there were a few too many splash pages for my liking, I’m beginning to think that was courtesy of then writer Geoff Johns. Here, the composition and pacing is much more stylized and funkier, and it works in a big way. Several pages have intricate, original layouts that maintain a high-energy pace while also just being pure pleasure on the eyes. Much like Darwyn Cooke, Marcos Martin and others are really redefining what good comic book layouts are like these days, this art team is taking things to a new level.

But the real revelation of course is that these two guys are excellent writers! Geoff Johns who? I think without Johns, the Manupal / Buccelato team is actually much better on the writing chores of Flash! The book had me literally turning each page in anticipation for what was to come next, balancing excellent action sequences (two good ones in one ish—like the old days!), with great interludes that built up character and premise. What a really well put together comic!

Barry is interesting and exciting from the get-go and they give us enough to move forward without drowning us with exposition about Barry’s life and history. They also provide a great introduction to some of the supporting cast, including Barry’s co-workers (and possible part time girlfriend from Flashpoint), a new character Dr. Darwin Elias (who will obviously be prominent) and of course Iris. We get glimpses and teases of Iris and it was enough for me to find her highly attractive and wanting more. This whole no marriage thing may just work out okay after all…

I enjoyed the storyline of the issue, with a seemingly random minion turning out to be Barry’s former pal from the police academy that gets killed in a battle with the Flash; to Barry’s guilt and sadness over it; to his determination to find the truth CSI style; to the huge twist ending that totally hooked me in terms of wanting to know more. Well done!

Also well done is the continued CSI-type approach to the way the Flash works as a hero. A good way to make the Flash even more unique.

The best part of the issue though is the tone of the series. It’s fun and upbeat but never childish. You can enjoy it as a grown adult or younger reader all the same: pure superhero action that is running a mile a minute with a ton happening.

I’m really blown away by how good this was. Good for Francis (and Buccelato)! This is a contender for my very favorite of the entire reboot!

Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I'm still pissed at Wally West's continued absence from the new canvas, though. And DC's attitude about the whole thing.
This is still unforgivable. It has nothing to do with Francis and Buccelato, of course, so its a gripe I hold the trio of evil responsible for (Didio / Lee / Johns).

#485142 10/05/11 07:40 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
What a beautiful book. The writing and art are truly meshed in this title.

Glad I gave it a try even over my disgust with the Barry/Iris marriage issue and the lack of Wally West in the DCnU.

On board for now.

#485143 10/30/11 12:16 AM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I can't believe I'm buying a FLASH book.
I can't believe I'm enjoying a FLASH book.
Francis is really firing on all cylinders!

#485144 10/30/11 11:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I bought 1. It left me kinda flat. Wish Wally was back.

Something pithy!
#485145 11/22/11 04:04 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Flash #2: this might be the very best DCnU comic of them all.

Enjoyable on every concievable level and I'm anxiously awaiting for more. This is a series I wish came out every week. All the good things I said on the previous page about #1 are there in #2 and actually improving.

Best artwork & composition of all the DC comics that aren't entitled "Batwoman".

#485146 11/23/11 03:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#3 continues everything that Cobie praises along with a pretty gripping cliffhanger.

But I'm with Rick, at heart. I don't see why Barry and Wally and Bart (and Jay, but that's a separate gripe, now) can't coexist.

A Rogue seems to have had a former gimmick gun power internalized. But I might be inferring too much.

I'm disappointed with DC going with that brat Axel in the role of Trickster in this DCU, though, to be fair, he's only been called Axel, so far. But he is wearing circus-striped pants...

#485147 12/02/11 06:28 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Does anyone notice that in Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern and Flash, the bad guys actually won? Sinestro got the GLC to initiate lethal force, and now HE's a Green Lantern but Hal isn't, and Professor Zoom murdered Barry Allen's mother and framed his father, and because Barry can't change the past but Zoom can it's irreversible.

And in his last story for Teen Titans, Deathstroke played the Titans for saps with his Titan East gambit, to "ensure" the TT would be a good family for Rose and Jericho. And they never found out.

What the hell?

#485148 01/21/12 06:41 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
CAught up to issue 4 on this. Great book. Beautiful artwork and creative designs.

The story is pretty good...much better than I had thought it would be before it even started.

The Rogues are indeed internalizing their powers (at least some of them will be...I remember reading about it somewhere when the whole DCnU was starting.

#485149 02/07/12 08:21 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Issue 5 is in the bag...and it wraps up the initial Mob Rule arc.

I'm a little torn on the whole thing. It was kind of blah story wise...not bad, but not great either.

The art on the other hand is unbelievable in its execution. It is part of the story.

I will be interested to see where they take Capt. Cold next issue, and the continuation of the revelations at the end of the issue about the speed force.

#485150 02/22/12 01:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I actually really loved this opening arc of Flash. In terms of Mob Rule himself (themselves?) it wasn't the greatest thing ever, but in terms of the actual story-telling by Manupal and Buccelato, it really is staggeringly mind-blowing. What I mean is the panel layouts, the pacing, the tone and the constant forward momentum of the entire story-arc were just spot on. Between Barry's back story with Manuel, his interactions with Iris (as both Barry and the Flash), his interactions with the Central City PD CSI division and just the usage of his super-speed in general, it felt like a really complete, complex story.

I'm really impressed by these two creators and what they've delivered. IMO, this is entirely better than what the Barry series was before with Johns.

In a way, I can't really get over DC squeezing out Wally. Even though its been Eight Years, it still stings. But perhaps this is the start; because if its a Barry Allen series that is doing the same things either Waid did with Wally or Johns did with Wally, it will just continue to feel like a slap in the face. But if its a series in a completely different direction--like this one has been so far...well, that might be something I can get behind. That might be something to make me happy to read a Barry Allen Flash comic.

I'd rank the Flash relaunch among my favorite of the whole 52.

#485151 03/07/12 06:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Everyone, I've been thinking about this for a while concerning Barry.

I realized, Flashpoint doesn't work as a story. The whole point was that Barry Allen went back in time to stop Professor Zoom from killing his mother, and because he did, he broke reality. This is because, Zoom, as Barry's opposite, generated his own Speed Force, which allowed him to do things Barry and the others couldn't. Like go back in time and change things. That was a point in Flash: Rebirth. The Flash Family can't use their powers to go back in time and change things, it never works.

Not only that, but Barry essentially went back by himself. He didn't plan it out carefully, he didn't talk to Wally, Jay, Max, or Iris about what he was going to do. He did this by himself. And he did it like an amateur.

Geoff John's book was dealing with how Barry had been cutting himself off from the rest of the family for a while. Although, it's not as if Wally and the others didn't try and get Barry to sit down and talk about it. God knows Wally tried harder with Barry than he did when Roy went through some... unpleasantness. And still, Barry did this by himself.

I'm not saying I don't sympathize with Barry for what he was trying to do. Zoom killed his mom, and Barry was just trying to save her. Still, he handled this like a moron. He didn't discuss what he was going to do with anyone, didn't bother to speak to anyone with any experience in time travel or changing the past, or let any of his family in on what he was doing. All Barry cared about was saving his mom and stopping Zoom. But was he doing it for HER sake or just so HE would feel better? Did he even stop to think about the consequences of going back in time and how it might effect anyone else?

I know I cut Roy Harper a lot of slack because of how craptastic his friends acted in Rise, but I really can't see someone like Barry Allen, who's suppose to be on par with the messiah in the DCU, one of the most intelligent and rational of the heroes, doing something so stupid and reckless. Does grief have a part to play in his actions? Maybe, possibly.

Because of Barry the DCU was broken and when he tried to fix it we got the DCnU.

I can't say I was Barry fan before, because of how he seems to represent the unrelenting favoritism towards the Silver Age, but realizing one of his self-professed fanboys, Geoff Johns, write him as so OOC in order for Flashpoint to work doesn't help.

Am I wrong? I'm up to talk about it.

#485152 03/07/12 07:27 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Actually, he was going back in time to undo what Zoom had changed.

Barry, while I agree he may not have thought it through fully, is also more experienced at time travel than all the other Flashes combined. the one person/people he should have talked to is Booster and Rip...although only Batman knew what they were up to, so that wasn't really an option.

I'd have to go back and reread it to really comment further, but I seem to think that he just returned from the dead (so he may be a little out of sorts), was immediately involved in Final Crisis, then went into Blackest Night. Followed by the man that killed his wife coming back to life as well (for seemingly no reason that he knew of - the white light just chose him) and then had his mother killed when she hadn't really been killed.

So, given what I just remember off the top of my head, he was dealing with a lot of crap, and reacted from the gut.

Aside from that, it's what Johns needed him to do to set up Flashpoint, and in turn the new DCU.

#485153 03/07/12 07:30 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
In regards to Barrys' sainthood status...that was all developed after he died. he was never the all knowing hero. He killed his arch nemesis, and tool off to the future afterward.

It's something that attached itself to him after he sacrificed himself to save the universe. It was a selfless act to be sure...but the sainthood thing developed over time. There is no way that he could ever have lived up to it. He was never that type of hero...he was just a man that did the best he could.

#485154 03/07/12 07:30 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I agree that (A) Barry has been written OOC under John's pen, and (B) the plot of Flashpoint was pretty silly and doesn't hold up.

The sequence where Barry had Thomas Wayne electrocute him? Sure it might have looked cool (to 13 year olds). But how ridiculously stupid was that?

Sarky, you're on to something calling DC out on their bullshit.

#485155 03/07/12 07:37 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Barry was totally written to fulfill Johns purposes, and honestly...fans of Wally should be glad that Wally took a backseat to that. I agree that Flashpoint was bunk, but there you go.

That being said, and I am a huge Barry fanboy, I wish he had not come back at all in the old DCU. I am however enjoying what they have done so far in the DCnU Flash book...and no, I cannot believe I am saying that.

#485156 03/07/12 07:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I never realized the sainthood thing only came about after he died. And, yes, I think maybe it was a gut reaction because of the crap he had to deal with.

Final Crisis - Rebirth - Blackest Night

I can see what you mean in terms of emotional burdens. He comes back, learns Zoom effectively changed time and killed his mother, then learns Ronnie, Ralph, Sue, and Solovar are all dead and reanimated as corpses at the behest of the personification of the void.

But I still think Barry should've talked about this with Jay, Max, and Wally, and maybe even Bart. Regardless of their experience in time travel (hell, Bart's from the 31st Century), going up against Zoom by himself after the good professor put most of them through the ringer in Rebirth seemed incredibly stupid. And, there is of course, Superman, when you realize that a good chunk of his childhood was spent in the 31st Century.

Gut reactions regardless, I find it hard to think Barry suddenly decided "have to go back, have to stop Zoom, have to save Mom" like it was all he could think of. It probably wasn't a random idea. He'd have to have put some thought into it beyond going from point A to point B. He's a forensics scientist, and it's been stated that he's the one who always took the longest to make sure everything was thought out.

There's also something else that's been nagging me regarding Flash: Inertia and Owen Mercer.

I'm starting to get on board with those fans who're mad at recent writers, specifically Johns, for what he did with them. Inertia had the possibility of turning around after his last appearance in Impulse. When they brought him back he helped orchestrate Bart's death. That wasn't Johns, but then he solidified it by having him turn into a child murderer in Rogues Revenge. Then he was killed by the Rogues.

Then we have Owen Mercer, the second Captain Boomerang. He seemed to have fallen into a perfect niche as a functioning anti-hero, even as a big brother figure towards Supergirl (yes, I know it was the Super Brittney phrase). We never got to explore whatever connection he may have had with Bart and Jenni, and he did try to fix things (at least I think he did) with Tim over what happened to their respective fathers. And then to usher in the return of his dad, Johns wrote Owen as completely willing to feed his Black Lantern father victims because he thought it would bring him back. Including women and children. The Rogues let his dad at him, and he died. And when Digger did indeed come back, he could've cared less about his son, regardless that the two were starting to bond in Identity Crisis.

There's Barry acting OOC, then there's Johns turning Inertia and Owen into child murderers just before he killed them off.

#485157 03/07/12 08:16 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
This honestly seems like more of a Geoff Johns issue than an actual Barry Allen thing Sarky. He is the one that wrote Barry into a corner and had him act out of character at all the wrong moments.

I also did not like what was done to Owen or Inertia either...especially Owen as I feel he had a ton of potential.

#485158 03/07/12 08:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, the Owen and Inertia thing I just threw in, to be honest.

I guess I'm just trying to avoid saying "Barry Allen ruined the DCU to save his mom."

#485159 03/07/12 08:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
No, that's not right.

It's just really nagging me that this seems like another example of a comic writer professing love for a character but writing them as completely alien in order fulfill their own ends.

And then I stop to wonder about what Johns was actually setting up to happen in his Flash run had Flashpoint not happened. We all know he was aiming at something, with the vague mentions of Zoom's "speed soldiers", Doctor Alchemy, Abrakadabra, and how one of Wally's kids was going to betray him.

I wonder if Johns was genuienly happy writing Flashpoint, or how he wrote Barry. Didn't they say Flashpoint was only going to change a couple of things?

Another reason: I've been mulling over that idea for a Titans story I had, and I've been wondering if it would be right to have Wally mad at Barry if he learned that Barry is the one responsible for changing the universe, and essentially put his family and everyone in existence in complete danger to stop Zoom.

#485160 03/07/12 09:11 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
There are several books and things that make me think that the Flashpoint / DCnU thing was not planned all that far in advance.

There was so much build up happening in books that just got tossed out the window with no warning. I also wonder what Geoff had planned for Barry if Flashpoint had not happened.

#485161 03/07/12 09:42 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The key for me is the current Flash comic is fantastic without Geoff. Manupal and Buccelato have made it DC's best series.

#485162 11/29/12 05:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Gorilla Grodd as a Flash? Wild idea, huh? Solovar makes his 52 debut... doesn't look like it'll be an extended stay, though.

Wasn't Piper left for dead on the streets, like, issues ago? Did I miss follow-up to that?

The layouts on this title, along with BATWOMAN, ANIMAL MAN and SWAMP THING are the best visual things in the new DCU.

Dev-Em #761693 01/14/13 08:11 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Flash is one of those rare series where I buy it, barely skim through the dialogue and writing but rather sit back and enjoy the outright incredible art by Manapul and Buccelato. Those two really *are* that stunning, where I can enjoy the issue solely on art and not regret the purchase.

The story itself I'm not enthusiastic about, and in fact stopped caring completely awhile back. So Flash isn't even in the top 40 comics I buy. And if F&B aren't on art duties any given month, it outright sucks.

But man, when they drawing the series, its the best looking comic produced by DC.

Dev-Em #761719 01/14/13 03:50 PM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
Also, holy CRAP The Flash #15 was sick as hell. Manapul's art in the second half...:D

Dev-Em #762524 01/27/13 11:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just finished the first volume and must agree that it is visually remarkable!

What's interesting in the story is how Flash is learning new things about his power, how to enable his mind to work with his physical speed and how the speed force affects him and Earth overall.

The villains Mob Rule were interesting enough in a horror story kind of way; Captain Cold was okay, especially since he had a direct effect on Flash's abilities. I really don't like Grodd, so don't know if I'll go for the second volume.

I wonder if they're really going to sideline Iris, or if Patty will get killed off. I sort of like how Iris is a pesky, pushy reporter; Patty is sweet but a bit dull.

This book is like Batwoman - love the artwork, but the story isn't really screaming for my attention.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
The Flash ... B a r r y A l l e n!
#811436 06/14/14 05:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[Linked Image]

The one good thing about the New 52? I think so.

Re: The Flash ... B a r r y A l l e n!
Power Boy #811437 06/14/14 05:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Founding member of the JLA!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He's got a killer rogue's gallery ... but that dosn't slow him down.

[Linked Image]

Also Carmine Infantino was just amazing on that book ...

Re: The Flash ... B a r r y A l l e n!
Power Boy #811461 06/14/14 11:07 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I like Wally more, but Barry's a great guy too! Loved the "Barry is always late" characterization and how personable he was

Dev-Em #811508 06/14/14 04:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
One of the most gripping story lines EVER.

[Linked Image]

... and I got to read it the first time around.

Dev-Em #811513 06/14/14 05:07 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Barry Allen didn't have a lot of luck in the '80s. Iris was killed. Barry killed Professor Zoom before he could kill the next love of his life. He was put on an extended trial. He had his face smashed into a pulp and the jury found him guilty after they were infiltrated.

The League even voted on whether to expel him, before they broke up to form JLA Detroit while he was on another Earth.

He got a whole month of happiness with a restored Iris West, before the Crisis came. He vibrated through time to warn his friends about the anti matter clouds. He was then captured and tortured by the Psycho Pirate, on the Anti Monitor's world. Yet even after all this, he selflessly died a hero saving our universe. He appeared to his friends as his efforts to defeat the Anti Monitor warped time and space.

From his lateness to his down to earth but fascinating Police Scientist role. From Flash facts to the Rogues Gallery. From close friendships with Ralph and Hal to his relationship problems with Iris and his mentoring of Wally West.

Barry Allen, the first hero of the Silver Age and one who gave up his life so that the Post Crisis age could live.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Dev-Em #811534 06/14/14 10:32 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Wonderful summary of Barry Allen's career, thoth.

One of the first comics I ever bought was a Flash (212, I think; it featured Mr. Element as the villain). I already knew The Flash from a cartoon series, and I thought super-speed was one of the coolest powers. Yet the Flash comic itself never became one of my favorites, perhaps because of the way it was written. Green Lad's post on Page 1 of this thread contains as clue as to why. In saying he preferred Barry to Wally, Green Lad says nothing about Barry. But he does enumerate the Flash's rogues gallery. It was the villains who were more interesting than Barry himself.

The series really took off during those last few years when Iris died and Barry was put on trial for killing Professor Zoom. At last Barry had serious challenges to face. At last he seemed like a real character instead of a cardboard cutout who fought Captain Cold every now and then.

I hated it that he was killed in Crisis so soon after reuniting with Iris. (I guess that's good writing--if a reader feels anything toward a story.) Super-heroes can't live happily ever after, it seems. But if Barry had to die, at least he had one of the best comic book deaths ever. And his legacy even lived on through Wally. What more could a hero ask for?

I haven't read the stories of his return, and I don't want to. I'm happy with Barry's story coming to a resolution (even a tragic one).

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Dev-Em #811543 06/14/14 11:49 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Yes, Barry's death was great and heroic, and he was forever remembered. It's just sad that he never had his happily ever after.

As with He Who, I felt Barry's story had come to a great (though sad) ending. There was closure, and that was why his return didn't exactly elate me.

On another note, in the foreword to the COIE collected edition, Marv Wolfman did say he'd written in a plot device to allow Barry to come back. It was probably his traveling through time while trying to destroy the Anti-Monitor's machines. I suppose that would have allowed writers to pluck him out of the timestream for future stories, albeit only temporarily; he'd always have had to return to fulfill his role in the defeat of the Anti-Monitor.

Dev-Em #811556 06/15/14 04:30 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I think that's indeed what it was. I remember Wolfman saying something along the lines of "knowing that he could return at any moment to his death would give another series real momentum."

Barry always had great visuals and clever uses of his power when facing his horde of kooky foes. The Rogues were always lots of fun, while Batman's enemies became darker twisted versions of themselves.

I skipped through his blossoming romance with Zatanna the other day, and it was sweet. The first character, in my first JLA story was Barry in a few solo pages and he's been a favourite ever since.

Looking back at his regular series I still have that little bit of resistance to Infantino's art. That's not a comment on it's quality, so much as the very distinctive look it gave the book.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #811562 06/15/14 07:12 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by thothkins

Barry Allen, the first hero of the Silver Age and one who gave up his life so that the Post Crisis age could live.

Beautiful!

[Linked Image]

Here's some more great Flash images:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dev-Em #811563 06/15/14 07:13 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Some of these old covers are truly great:

I LOVE THESE TWO!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dev-Em #811565 06/15/14 07:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[Linked Image]

Supes dosn't stand a chance.

Dev-Em #811566 06/15/14 07:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think the Barry Allen Flash series had some of the best covers of the Silver and Bronze Ages.

Dev-Em #811591 06/15/14 10:44 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
As Lash would surely agree, you can't go wrong with a cover featuring a good ol' super FAT-ASSing!!!!

Dev-Em #811603 06/15/14 11:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
... coming right up!

Dev-Em #811604 06/15/14 11:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I find the leg switching one hilarious ... now Barry knows how frustrating it is! HA!

Dev-Em #811828 06/17/14 06:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[Linked Image]

I love the big head and skinny body!

Dev-Em #811829 06/17/14 06:45 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[Linked Image]

Of course he's here to save the day. I thought this costume was fantastic!

Power Boy #811834 06/17/14 06:51 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Power Boy
[Linked Image]

Supes dosn't stand a chance.

We all know Barry LET Supes win!

Dev-Em #811980 06/18/14 07:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
We done to Barry Allen! Legion World's favourite Justice Leaguer!

Dev-Em #812151 06/19/14 12:32 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
[Linked Image]

Dev-Em #813069 06/29/14 12:34 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I figured I'd share a tidbit (with anyone who doesn't read the "Non-Legion Trivia" thread in Spaceopoly) I found out this week when I read a collection of Silver Age team-ups involving Earth-2 characters: Iris West Allen and Joan Williams Garrick each had the same, unique-to-their-dimension engagement ring! It's all in Flash 151, and I thought that was SO cool!!!

Man, I miss the old, great multiverse and the Justice Society! frown

Dev-Em #815019 07/22/14 03:14 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I love the Cary Bates run on the Flash. It's probably the best Flash run besides the William Messner-Loebs run with Wally.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Dev-Em #815021 07/22/14 03:26 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I picked up the latter third of the run when I was a kid. I found the Infantino art to be more challenging than a lot of art, but I do recall a strong continuity to the story even then. I recall really hunting for a missed issue to fill a gap in the story.

I's only been recently I've read the lead up to the trial and it's aftermath. It is a huge storyline. I can see it outstaying it's welcome with some readers, as it does last for years. But to even attempt such a storyline deserves huge amounts of credit. There's no shortage of tension each issue, so it's not a storyline that stutters along.

Dev-Em #815024 07/22/14 03:57 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
The Trial of the Flash, in my opinion, is a misunderstood story. Most people trash it for it's bizarre twists and drawn out narrative. However, I think it's easily among the best Flash stories since those same seemingly non-sensical story turns are actually the kind of crazy stuff the Silver Age was made of and was fitting for the final story of a character who kicked off that same era.

Re: The Flash (Barry Allen) -- now discussing "The Trial"
Kappa Kid #899632 06/12/16 03:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Kappa Kid
The Trial of the Flash, in my opinion, is a misunderstood story. Most people trash it for it's bizarre twists and drawn out narrative. However, I think it's easily among the best Flash stories since those same seemingly non-sensical story turns are actually the kind of crazy stuff the Silver Age was made of and was fitting for the final story of a character who kicked off that same era.

I just finished the Showcase Presents The Trial of the Flash TPB tonight. Other than issue 350, I'd never had the opportunity to read this run ever before. It was certainly all over the place! I don't know where to start, really. So many crazy twists and turns! I honestly don't know at the moment whether I love it or pretty much dislike it.

I will say it is very complex and convoluted, both of which actually surprised me. I always thought it was more or less straightforward. But that it ain't!

Kappa--and anyone else--I'd love to hear your thoughts on the story. Maybe then, I'll be able to crystallize my own, and I'll chime in with my own--! nod

Dev-Em #899688 06/13/16 02:38 AM
I've never read "The Trial of the Flash", mainly because I can only take Carmine Infantino's post-1960s art in small doses. Depending on the feedback to Lardy's post, I may or may not read it.

Dev-Em #899701 06/13/16 03:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ I agree re: Infantino. I was first exposed to him via his 80s art in places like Flash and The Brave and the Bold and I was like "What am I not seeing in this art that makes everyone praise him as a master?".

It wasn't until much later that I saw his early art and was blown away by how good it was. He's very much like Giffen I think in that for some reason he adopted a very different (and IMO much worse) style later in life.

I've also never fully read The Trial of the Flash. I've been building up my back issue collection over the years and am still missing a couple of chapters of this. I'm looking forward to it because I've heard good things but one aspect of it I was never keen on was the weird new face he was given. I just can't get behind that.

Lard Lad #899708 06/13/16 04:23 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Paladin

I just finished the Showcase Presents The Trial of the Flash TPB tonight. Other than issue 350, I'd never had the opportunity to read this run ever before. It was certainly all over the place! I don't know where to start, really. So many crazy twists and turns! I honestly don't know at the moment whether I love it or pretty much dislike it.

I will say it is very complex and convoluted, both of which actually surprised me. I always thought it was more or less straightforward. But that it ain't!

Kappa--and anyone else--I'd love to hear your thoughts on the story. Maybe then, I'll be able to crystallize my own, and I'll chime in with my own--! nod

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think that the strength of this arc was Infantino's involvement and the wacky turns that the story took. Barry Allen was the spark that started the Silver Age and this story truly feels like a sendoff to that batshit insane era of comics in a way that I feel is much more fitting than Crisis on Infinite Earths a few months later. Not every turn in the story makes sense, but it reads like a soap opera, where it leaves you on a cliffhanger each issue and you have to know where it goes next.

Infantino's art, as Fanfie alluded to, had changed drastically since his Silver Age days, and while I don't think it fit every book he worked on in the 80's (*cough Marvel's Star Wars cough*), I think his presence adds a greater meaning to the story. His old style was very clean and simplistic, whereas his 80's style was blocky and his characters appeared very "stretched" for lack of a better word. The art reflects the story, with the blocky figures reflecting how Barry Allen had changed since his inception.

Dev-Em #899720 06/13/16 05:46 AM
Originally Posted by Blacula
^ I agree re: Infantino. I was first exposed to him via his 80s art in places like Flash and The Brave and the Bold and I was like "What am I not seeing in this art that makes everyone praise him as a master?".

It wasn't until much later that I saw his early art and was blown away by how good it was.

Yeah, for all the bad things DC has done since 2003, it was nice a few years ago when they reprinted a lot of classic stuff in full-color one-shot specials. The Flash one was all classic Broome/Infantino stories, and I treasure my copy of it.

Kappa Kid #899723 06/13/16 06:08 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Infantino's art, as Fanfie alluded to, had changed drastically since his Silver Age days, and while I don't think it fit every book he worked on in the 80's (*cough Marvel's Star Wars cough*), I think his presence adds a greater meaning to the story. His old style was very clean and simplistic, whereas his 80's style was blocky and his characters appeared very "stretched" for lack of a better word. The art reflects the story, with the blocky figures reflecting how Barry Allen had changed since his inception.

I'll have to disagree about his run on Star Wars. I read the Omnibuses that contained his work on it last year. While at first his work was jarring, I really came to appreciate his take on the universe and the element of fun that his work added to it. He and Archie Goodwin really did some special work on the book, imo.

Now, on the Trial era I don't think the B&W format of the Showcase Presents book does Infantino any favors. Flash is by its nature a colorful book with a bright cast of villains, so the format loses a lot. Believe me, seeing Barry and Zoom fight it out in B&W is no pleasure! shake It seems like this would have been quite a feast for the eyes in color.

But, aside from that, it seems his line is a bit more inconsistent than it was on the earlier Star Wars run. Sometimes it looks fabulous, and others it is indistinct. His work there is also especially light on backgrounds. But I kind of like his style with faces and the sometimes-wacky wavy hair that everyone has.

One thing I definitely didn't like was Infantino's take on Grodd and the other denizens of Gorilla City. I don't need the hyper-realistic and kinda scary modern take, but Infantino's I found really distracting in a bad way.

Dev-Em #899724 06/13/16 06:11 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Honestly, though, it's gonna be a little hard to discuss Trial in depth and it's wacky turns without revealing lots of spoilers! I feel like we'll almost need permission from Fickles and any other interested parties to go into them. I don't really want to spoiler-box too much when discussing a story over 30 years old. smile

Dev-Em #899730 06/13/16 06:47 AM
You certainly have my blessing, Lardy. Spoil away!

Dev-Em #899736 06/13/16 07:44 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Well, let's start at the beginning, with the least excessive but still puzzling element that's at the story's foundation: the alleged crime that Barry commits. Barry is originally charged with manslaughter and is then upgraded to murder 2 as the trial begins.

It's really odd because no one ever seems to doubt that Fiona was in immediate mortal danger. It's hard for me to believe that any agency would charge Flash under those circumstances, much less upgrade it to a manslaughter charge. As much manipulation as there was going on to affect the trial's outcome, there was never any indication that the D.A. himself was being manipulated. And if you factor in that the Flash himself had been the city's iconic hero and a paragon of the JLA, it makes no sense that Flash ever went to trial or was even arraigned and indicted.

I know. For the Flash, even this was pretty edgy a thing to have happened in his life, and having circumstances where Zoom was more clearly murdered would have been pretty extreme for the time. For what was still a more innocent age, I suppose it made more sense.

In a way I wonder if this was cary bates' way of having the Silver Age put the Bronze Age on trial. hmmm

Dev-Em #899740 06/13/16 08:01 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I read a while ago that Bates knew the end date of the title very early on, due to the planning around Crisis. I might have read that the trial extended accordingly to fit this schedule, allowing for all of the twists and turns.

Dev-Em #899744 06/13/16 08:07 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
To follow up on thoth's point, Bates apparently knew well in advance the book would end at a certain point so he went with a "throw everything at the wall" approach to the book.

Dev-Em #899759 06/13/16 11:21 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
That's something I've been wondering about as I read the Showcase edition: Just HOW much of a heads-up did Cary have regarding when the book would end and Barry's death? Did he know right when he killed of Zoom and initiated Barry's legal woes? I mean, 323-24 featuring Flash and the Reverse-Flash's final battle was over 2 years before Barry's death. I've no doubt that a lot of planning went into Crisis (though not so much for its immediate aftermath, obviously), but I'm more doubtful that it was determined all that far in advance. More believable is that Cary got the word well into the storyline and had to extend it quite a bit. (Re-reading thoth's and Kap's posts, this seems to be the implication.)

I'd certainly be curious to read any article(s) you guys have seen if you can find it and provide a link. nod

Dev-Em #899762 06/13/16 12:13 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
An interview with Bates from a Flash fan site:

http://speedforce.org/2011/05/interview-cary-bates2/

Kappa Kid #899768 06/13/16 01:30 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
An interview with Bates from a Flash fan site:

http://speedforce.org/2011/05/interview-cary-bates2/

Just read it, and Cary had about a year's notice before Barry's death. So I was right that Cary didn't know from the time Zoom was killed. He also speculates as to what direction the series may have gone post-Trial if not for Barry's death. "Flash on the Run," apparently... hmmm

Dev-Em #899769 06/13/16 01:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
A second thing that was a bit hard to swallow was Barry remarrying fairly soon after Iris' death and all of the histrionics surrounding his bride-to-be Fiona. In real time Iris had been gone about four years until the time of Barry's scheduled second nuptials. In comic book time that ain't a lot! Even though Iris' death is referenced in-story as "years" ago, it's soon, especially figuring in the grieving period and the dating.

Plus, I think it's fair to say that Fiona is far from a sterling example of a strong female character based on what we see of her during this extended storyline. She basically can't handle being apparently stood up at her wedding and then her fiance's longterm disappearance (more on that, soon). She has a complete mental breakdown, and her delicate condition becomes a big part of the Flash's motivation in how he proceeds in his case and his reshaping his future.

I have to thing that it's these same histrionics that Kappa is thinking of in his "soap opera" analogy a few posts above. I guess you can infer that Fiona has a history of mental illness that wasn't disclosed, but she's a pretty forgettable character at best and a terrible swipe at feminism at worst.

I don't know how well Iris was written before her "death", but I have fond memories of how Waid wrote her. Fiona isn't a shade on Iris!

Dev-Em #899774 06/13/16 02:11 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Fiona was pretty weak as a character, but I think that the writers didn't want to make an Iris clone out of fear of backlash from fans who may have still been bitter that Iris had been killed off. shrug

Last edited by Kappa Kid; 06/13/16 02:12 PM.

Dev-Em #899840 06/14/16 04:11 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I don't see the point in killing off Iris (and I believe it was supposed to be permanent) if you're just going to put Barry on the cusp of marriage again within 4 years. Yes, I know it didn't happen, and that was Cary's way of breaking them up and spinning out some story. But I have issues with it.

By the way, I have a feeling, if plans hadn't changed, that Cecille Horton, Barry's lawyer, was being set up as Barry's next love interest. That might have been interesting.

Dev-Em #899841 06/14/16 04:18 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Oh yeah, there's definitely a weird tension between Barry and Cecille during the Trial, though I never really cared for her as a character so I'm glad that nothing long-term came from that.

Kappa Kid #899937 06/14/16 02:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Oh yeah, there's definitely a weird tension between Barry and Cecille during the Trial, though I never really cared for her as a character so I'm glad that nothing long-term came from that.

I dunno. I think it might have been interesting. The dynamic between her strong will and the old-fashioned, meat-and-potatoes Barry might have been something to see in contrast to Iris and Fiona. But ultimately, I'm happy that Barry was eventually reunited with Iris and soon afterward made the sacrifice in Crisis because it gave Wally (and later Iris) a chance to shine.

Speaking of lawyers, there was a bizarre subplot running for a while in which his lawyers were the targets of bombings. His original lawyer was badly injured and had to step aside in favor of his partner Cecille. She was later targeted herself and barely survived by hiding in her sensory-deprivation tank!

The culprit? A third lawyer who desperately wanted Barry's case for himself! lol

Dev-Em #900025 06/15/16 04:17 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
It's been a while since I read this arc, but I love the scene when she goes to Barry's parent's house to spy on him. laugh

Dev-Em #900031 06/15/16 06:44 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L

I was a big Flash fan growing up, and I read a lot of the stuff in the 70s and 80s.

The thing that really caught my attention during all of this was the scene where the Rogues destroy Zoom's body and costume. However...

Didn't Eobard get his powers from his costume? Couldn't anybody put it on and have super-speed?

As if Mirror Master weren't bad enough, how about a really FAST Mirror Master?

I guess Bates didn't think of it, or "The Case of Every Rogue Having Fun in Zoom's Costume" would have been a cool story.

Kappa Kid #900044 06/15/16 10:55 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
It's been a while since I read this arc, but I love the scene when she goes to Barry's parent's house to spy on him. laugh

I thought it was kind of cool. I also liked that she was smart enough to figure out Barry's secret with the clues she had to go with. Unfortunately...that really backfired on her! gasp

The idea that a lawyer would plan on a stunt like she did without consulting her client except to say, "trust me on this one", is just ridiculous. When she pulled off his mask to show the court Flash was Barry Allen to prove why he would pull all stops to save a second love from the same fate--then, BOOM!--it's not Barry's face because of the plastic surgery? BIG-time WTF moment!

It was also a reveal for the readership. We hadn't been shown his face since it was injured by Big Sir (BTW, the storyline could have done with 100% less Big Sir, but I digress....), but there was enough of a hint that it had happened for readers to guess at this twist. they had to really know something was up when Barry's face was concealed during the aforementioned incident at Barry's parents' house when cecille was spying on them.

The stunt, by the way, was not the only element of the trial proceedings that was hard to believe from what we know about the legal system. I'm pretty sure that if the manslaughter charge had really been upgraded to murder-2 the day before the trial that it would not have commenced as scheduled. We're probably talking a months-long delay minimum. Plus, the prosecution should have presented their case first, rested, then the defenses case should have begun, unless I'm totally misunderstanding the process.

And that isn't even mentioning the outside/superhero-y/sci-fi elements that came into play! But we'll get to those soon enough....

lancesrealm #900045 06/15/16 11:05 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by lancesrealm

I was a big Flash fan growing up, and I read a lot of the stuff in the 70s and 80s.

The thing that really caught my attention during all of this was the scene where the Rogues destroy Zoom's body and costume.

It was kind of cool how the Rogues reacted to Zoom's death. They were basically pissed off with Zoom that he 'allowed' the Flash to kill one of their number off! I mean, it's clear they never liked him anyway, but falling to their arch-foe really put him in their dregs. And yes, they basically held an irreverant funeral for Thawne and destroyed the body! (The narrative went out of the way to state that the coroners had completed their autopsy and their use for the body even though it was taken from the morgue, but there was a part of me wondering why the defense wouldn't use that to have the case thrown out.)

Originally Posted by lancesrealm
Didn't Eobard get his powers from his costume? Couldn't anybody put it on and have super-speed?

As if Mirror Master weren't bad enough, how about a really FAST Mirror Master?

I guess Bates didn't think of it, or "The Case of Every Rogue Having Fun in Zoom's Costume" would have been a cool story.

Really? Thawne's powers were completely derived from his costume?!? I honestly didn't know that. I wonder if that was, like, an original explanation but was maybe modified or ret-conned at some point. I've always thought his powers were always natural.

Dev-Em #900046 06/15/16 11:33 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Lance is right about the suit giving Thawne his powers.

From The Flash v1 #139:
[Linked Image]

Dev-Em #900156 06/16/16 09:33 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L

And if you think Digger's boomerangs were fast before, wait'll it's his turn to play Captain Flasharang...

Dev-Em #903509 07/22/16 07:03 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So, it sounds like the Trial of the Flash is pretty batshit!

I'm hoping to do a casual Barry Allen reread at some time in the near future, though I would like take it very slow and it would take a few years. My dad and I completed our Flash collection a few years ago, though I don't have all the Showcase issues yet.

The Flash is the only non-Trinity superhero title besides JLA to make it from the Silver Age to the 1980's without being cancelled at least once, so it has a certain historical significance. Plus, the Flash was always usually one of the better DC series in the Silver Age and Bronze Age. I honestly wasn't sure what it was like the 80's, and all the comments and criticisms here have peaked my interest even more.

Dev-Em #904498 08/01/16 03:21 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm really enjoying the Flash relaunch, which has a very Mark Waid-ish story in the "modern take on a Silver Age concept" feel. Barry is well written and the team does a great job introducing and balancing a large cast so far, including several long standing characters and a few new ones.

The art by Carmine Di Giandomenico is a little hard to get used to at first because it's very scratchy, but once you get used to it you can see the raw energy he's creating. It's a very kinetic feel and it works.

It's the friendship between Flash and August thus far that's really making the series as it gives the creators a good way to show the sheer joy and optimism in superheroics that the Flash contains. That has been fun to read, as Barry guides August, and it looks to be extending to other new characters with #3.

Dev-Em #922871 03/02/17 08:54 AM
bump

BUMP

Myself and Blacula were talking about the classic Silver Age Flash run just a little while ago. The 2nd Omnibus is on its way, which covers the middle of that run, which I consider the very best that the Barry Allen Flash ever got.

I also said that the Silver Age Flash is probably 2nd only to the Adventure era Legion as my favorite stories from the DC Silver Age (and it just occurred to me Doom Patrol would probably rank 3rd, thought it might outrank the Flash if it had focused more on the soap operatics and less on gimmicky monster-of-the-month guest-villains.)

And has anyone here at Legion World ever read the origin-of-Iris issue? (Somewhere in the early 200s, I want to say 204, but I'm not certain.) It sounds pretty trippy in concept, Iris being from the distant future and all.

Dev-Em #922874 03/02/17 09:06 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I might have read it a while back during my binge of the Silver and Bronze Age Flash stuff a few years back, but it's been a while. If anyone knows the issue number, I have a PDF of it if you're interested.

Dev-Em #922876 03/02/17 09:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ It's #203.

And yes, I always find it weird that Iris is from the 30th century. Part of me doesn't like it for some reason, but it did allow for some excellent ideas like the Tornado Twins (as under-utilised as they were) and XS and Impulse.

Dev-Em #922879 03/02/17 09:23 AM
Kappa, thank you for the generous offer, but I've always felt a little funny about exchanging Intellectual Properties via the web. If you could, at the earliest convenience, post a summary in this thread, that would be perfect with me.

Blacula, I agree it is rather odd, but I far prefer Iris being out-of-time to Carol Ferris being Star Sapphire.

Dev-Em #922895 03/02/17 01:09 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Wow! I didn't think Iris was revealed as being from the future until 350, the final issue. This certainly makes the circumstances of her resurrection seem a little less random!

I wonder if it was referenced a lot between 203 and her death?

Dev-Em #922899 03/02/17 04:01 PM
Active
Active
Didn't the Tornado Twins predate the Iris reveal? My admittedly imperfect memory recalls them being introduced as distant descendants of the Flash, later retconned into being his children

Dev-Em #922900 03/02/17 04:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yes, they were introduced as his descendants, so Iris didn't have to be from the future for them to exist.

And the Twins pre-date Flash 203 by over 2 years, for what it's worth. Adventure 373 is cover-dated October 1968. Flash 203 is February 1971.

Dev-Em #922901 03/02/17 05:14 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I wonder when it was first established that they were his children.

I seem to remember it there being speculation about it not long after Flash #203 was published, but I'm not sure when it became canon.

Dev-Em #922902 03/02/17 05:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm not an expert on the matter, but the events of Flash 350 seemed to make it more likely as he and Iris lived happily in the future for a brief time before his death. I don't know if it was ever verified or implied before Mark Waid helped create both XS and Impulse and nailed it down. I'm not sure if the account of the Twins' death during 5YL portrayed them as Barry's children or not.

Dev-Em #922903 03/02/17 07:24 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Hmm... my guess would be WWitLSH making it canon.

Dev-Em #943813 02/02/18 12:54 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You guys aren't gonna find this as funny as I do but R.L. Stine killed off Barry Allen.

Dev-Em #948529 05/02/18 03:16 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Flash has really been fantastic for awhile now. This run feels like a return to form to the heyday of the 90's / early 00's. Love the bigger story they've crafted with Mena, Godspeed, Grodd and the Flash family.

Of all the series still double shipping, this one is probably the one I'm happiest is doing it (Batman & Tec being the others).

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,949
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star