Roll Call
0 members (), 35 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by razsolo - 05/07/24 01:29 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:35 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Hotbed of artists in Connecticut"
#485301 05/10/05 09:02 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Hey, this is pretty cool! At newsarama, they have an interview with Howard Porter , and he discusses how he went to Paier Art School in CT. What he doesn't say is that this is in Hamden, CT, my home town, and is actually right down the street from me! No kidding, I can see it from my front porch and used to play street hockey in the parking lot there when I was a kid.

Some excerpts:
----------------------------
HP: I went to art school at Paier College of Art in Connecticut in '87-'91. I majored in illustration. I didn't draw comics in college. I drew in my sketchbooks, comics stuff, but I didn't actually work on comic book pages until I was out of college. My instructors said, "Don't waste your time with that." Which is good, I guess, because it forced me to learn traditional art, which I probably wouldn't have been interested in.

NRAMA: So how did you get your start in the comic book business?

HP: During my last year of college, I had hung up some drawings around the school -- some goofy cartoons. Some of the teachers saw it. And Frank McLaughlin, who did Justice League with Dick Dillon, was teaching a cartooning class at the school, and he saw the drawings. He got in touch with me, and I started to work with him inking his backgrounds. I worked with him, Mike DeCarlo, Steve Montano and Bob Smith. I was doing backgrounds for them for four or five years.

NRAMA: Did you want to do more than just backgrounds?

HP: I never really wanted to be a background inker. It was a good learning experience, but I did it long enough.

And then, I met Ron [Garney], who had just broken into the business. He helped me with my samples and getting into the business.

NRAMA: Ah ... so that's when your buddy Ron came into the picture. How did you meet Ron?

HP: At the time, all the comics artists in my area were hanging out and having dinner together or drinks.

NRAMA: In Connecticut? Was there a hotbed of comic book artists in Connecticut in the '90s?

HP: Yeah, now that you mention it, there was, I guess. There was a pretty big group. There was Dennis Janke, Jerry Ordway, and the other guys I mentioned -- I forget who else. So I got to meet all of them through the people I was working with.
---------------------------

"Hotbed of artists in CT"? Specifically, in Hamden, CT in MY neighborhood?! I was probably hitting their cars with street hockey pucks while they were knocking back beers at art school!

Re: "Hotbed of artists in Connecticut"
#485302 05/12/05 07:51 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Huh. Imagine if Charlton were still publishing then.

I used to get high on life, but I built up a tolerance.
Re: "Hotbed of artists in Connecticut"
#485303 05/13/05 01:30 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Maybe one of them even sketched you!

I wonder who's at that school now? Is it a hotbed of future artists?

Holy Cats of Egypt!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,181
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
brigort
brigort
PEI, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star