Roll Call
0 members (), 30 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/06/24 09:13 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/06/24 09:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/06/24 07:26 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/06/24 05:06 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 04:38 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Starman question
#490239 05/27/06 11:43 AM
L
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
L
I remember reading about Starman in Adventure Comics around 1980 or so. Much later, there was a Starman Comic - is this the same guy? (I never picked up any of the later Starman comics - my loss, from what I have read here.)

Re: Starman question
#490240 05/27/06 12:52 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
No. The Starman that co-starred in ADV with (Plastic Man! confused ) was Prince Gavyn, heir to the throne in another galaxy. As was the custom of his people, he was thrown into space when his sister was chosen as the next ruler; They did this to prevent infighting for the throne. ElasticLad Gavyn was saved from his fate by his nascent stellar powers, and became his sister's protector until she was assassinated; whereupon he became king and retired as Starman, ultimately dying in the original Crisis. He reappeared post-Crisis as a galactic adventurer, most recently seen in the IC tie-in Rann-Thanagar War.

The recent STARMAN series featured Jack Knight, son of the original Ted Knight Star Man. James Robinson worked all of the previous incarnations of the character into that series. I've loved what I've read of it...admittedly, mostly only the Thom Kallor tie-ins and a few crossover typ events... I really need to get the trades. shocked

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#490241 05/27/06 12:52 PM
Leader
Leader
DC has reused the STARMAN name for a number of different characters. The 1st was Ted Knight, in the 1940s, who was a member of the JSA. There was a one-shot in the 1970's featuring a blue-skinned alien. Paul Levitz & Steve Ditko did the series in ADVENTURE about a dethroned prince. The climax of this took place in an issue of DC COMICS PRESENTS, with art by Jim Starlin. After the CRISIS, Roger Stern & Tom Lyle created another brand-new character, a nice throwback to the days of "nice guy" superheroes-- until the editor kicked Stern off his own creation! It went downhill from there with each successive change in creative teams.

Right after ZERO HOUR, James Robinson & Tony Harris created ANOTHER new character-- the younger son of the original. The older son had debuted in the Stern series-- briefly-- offended that someone else was using his Dad's hero name. In the Robinson series, he was KILLED OFF in the first 2 pages of the first episode! This paved the way for his younger brother to take over, who eventually joined the revived JSA.

There were even a couple of others... One of the great things about the Robinson series was, it touched on EVERY character who'd ever used the name-- including the blue-skinned alien, the Stern-Lyle character, and even the Levitz-Ditko character from ADVENTURE.

#490242 05/28/06 03:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just reread the Robinson series. Great book from beginning to end. He (Robinson) had it laid out wonderfully. He really had a grand plan to the whole thing.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#490243 05/30/06 09:30 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
History of Starman(s)
Starman I - Ted Knight, the Golden Age Starman of WWII. He remained Starman throughout the history of the DCU, being a member of the JSA, All-Star Squadron, etc. He was Starman at the same time Starmans III, IV and V were active. He recently died heroically against his arch-nemesis the Mist after a long career at the end of the James Robinson Starman series.

Starman II - the "Starman of 1951'. This character actually stems from an old World's Finest issue where Batman dressed up as a new hero, Starman. This story was retconned out of existence b/c of Crisis. In James Robinson's Starman series, he established that there was indeed a Starman with that costume in 1951, defending Opal City. This was because in 1951, Starman I was in an asylum due to immense guilt felt over co-creating the Atomic Bomb. Starman II was eventually revealed to be Starman VI, David Knight, the son of the original Starman, traveling back in time seconds before his death for (1) year via Dr. Fate.

Starman III - this is the Blue Starman, Mikaal first seen in the late 1970's. I believe he only actually ever had one or two appearances, before returning in the James Robinson Starman series. He remains alive and well, living in Opal City and a close friend of Jack Knight. He still has some power but is not an active Starman. Robinson also got into Mikaal being an ancester of what would become Talok VII (as well as a Umbra-Shade connection) but that was all rendered moot by the threeboot.

Starman IV - Prince Gavyn, the Starman of space first seen in 1980. Pov lists his origin above. He died during Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Starman V - Will Payton, the Starman of the late 1980's, who had his own long-running comic book. Payton had a series of adventures, crossed paths with Starman VI (David Knight) and fought most notably against Eclipso. In the summer crossover "Eclipso: the Darkness Within", he sacrificed his life to stop Eclipso and died. During the James Robinson Starman series it was revealed that he was somehow still alive, and somehow now had a connection to Starman IV, Prince Gayvn. Thus, they somehow combined (or something) but its really the body/powers of Prince Gavyn and personality of Will Payton that still exists in space on Throneworld, Prince Gavyn's home. This Starman was scene recently in Rann/Thanagar War and in Infinite Crisis.

Starman VI - David Knight, son of the original Starman, Ted Knight. David's career essentially goes like this: (1) shows up angry at Will Payton for being a Starman that was not a Knight, (2) having a brief few panels in Zero Hour about becoming the new Starman, (3) getting shot in the face in Issue #1 of James Robinson's Starman series, (4) becoming the Starman of 1951 (Starman II) for a year via Dr. Fate before dying. It was only after he died and communed with Jack Knight (Starman VII) once a year that he became interesting and ever did anything.

Starman VII - Jack Knight, son of Starman I and brother of Starman VI. Probably the most beloved of the Starmen, he was the main character in James Robinson's Starman series. A reluctant hero at first with infinite layers to his personality, he gradually grew into the role of Starman. He worked with Starman III and V at one point, although he mainly guarded Opal City, his home. He was a founder of the new JSA. He gave up being Starman at the end of his series, allowing the legacy to continue with Stargirl, the former Star-Spangled Kid. This was after his father had died and he learned he had sired a child by Nash, the second Mist (and daughter of the original). Leaving Opal City to search for Sadie, the love of his life and sister of Starman VI, Jack retired from super-heroics.

Stargirl - Courtney Whitmore the former Star-Stpangled Kid II, who is now an active JSAer.

Other Starman(s)
Starman 1,000,000 - seen in the DCU 1,000,000 event, this heir of the Starman was actually a villain and a traitor to the JLA 1,000,000 years in the future.

Starman VIII - the Starman after Jack Knight was supposed to be Danny Blaine, who Jack met when he traveled back in time. Danny Blaine was actually Thom Kallor, Star Boy of the 31st Century Legion of Super-Heroes (reboot version), who traveled back in time when he was older. What this means following the threeboot remains a mystery. However, Thom Kallor was actually the reincarnated 19th century hero Scalphunter, who then went on to become one of the O'Dare clan (police detectives that helped Jack Knight - the family full of brothers and one sister), but died in the finale of the series against the Mist I. When Matt O'Dare died, he realized he was being reincarnated again, this time one thousand years later as Thom Kallor, who would one day be Danny Blaine, Starman VIII.

Complicated yes, but it sure was a great series and a lot of fun.

#490244 05/30/06 10:12 AM
L
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
L
A shame Prince Gavyn died - I always thought that series held a lot of potential.

#490245 05/30/06 10:15 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Other Starman(s)
[b]Starman 1,000,000
- seen in the DCU 1,000,000 event, this heir of the Starman was actually a villain and a traitor to the JLA 1,000,000 years in the future.=[/b]
Actually, 83,265 years and four months into the future smile

[One million months after the publication of Action Comics #1 smile ]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#490246 05/30/06 10:51 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Ooooh, that's what that all meant. I remember trying to figure it out years ago but giving up... laugh

#490247 05/30/06 12:05 PM
Substitute
Substitute
what about Starwoman, Courtney Whitmore's younger sister? she kind of ties into the Starman legacy

(i think she showed up in a recent JSA storyline, it involved Degaton)

#490248 05/30/06 12:11 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Oh, yeah... Degaton's goons killed Courtney's family, including her baby sister. She went back in time with the rest of the JSA. While trying to enlist the aid of Ted Knight, then in the asylum as Cobie mentioned, she was captured, straight-jacketed and thrown in the bin herself...only to be rescued by the mysterious redheaded Starwoman, who indeed was revealed to be Court's little sister, alive and well. Cool storyline.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#490249 05/30/06 01:02 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Oh, and Cobalt - you missed out Dr Mid-Nite smile

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#490250 05/30/06 01:28 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The only legacy close to Starman's in terms of different people bearing the name is Manhunter, but unlike Robinson's Starman, the current Manhunter comic kinda screwed it all up in a way that I'm not sure I can do a list like the one above.

'Boot, was there a Dr. Mid-Nite/Starman connection at some point? I feel like I'm having fake visions of a Dr. Mid-Nite posing as Starman story now that I can't remember.

Totally forgot about the Starwoman story!

#490251 05/30/06 01:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
During the James Robinson Starman series it was revealed that he was somehow still alive, and somehow now had a connection to Starman IV, Prince Gayvn. Thus, they somehow combined (or something) but its really the body/powers of Prince Gavyn and personality of Will Payton that still exists in space on Throneworld, Prince Gavyn's home. This Starman was scene recently in Rann/Thanagar War and in Infinite Crisis.
I was under the impression (maybe a false one) that it was Prince Gavyn in Will Payton's body. That the explosion that gave Will his powers actually transferred the Prince's mind into Payton's body and that he had access to Will's memories. Later, he realized this and used the appearance changing aspect of his powers to revert back to his old self and reclaimed the throne.

#490252 05/30/06 01:42 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You may be right Gary. I'm having a hard time remembering. I just remember a scene where I thought Will realizes he's now married to Gavyn's beautiful wife, who is willing to maintain their marriage b/c the planet needs a ruler and she finds him very attractive.

Unless that was some kinda dream I had about myself... laugh

#490253 05/30/06 02:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Were you Prince Gavyn or his wife?

#490254 05/30/06 07:09 PM
Deputy
Deputy
In James Robinson's series, the "Starman of 1951" was originally Charles McNider (Dr. Mid-Nite I). He allowed David Knight to take over the identity when David travelled in time.

And Sadie was the sister of Will Payton -- Starman V, not VI.

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#490255 05/30/06 07:15 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
'Boot, was there a Dr. Mid-Nite/Starman connection at some point? I feel like I'm having fake visions of a Dr. Mid-Nite posing as Starman story now that I can't remember.
Originally posted by Bicycle Repair Man:
In James Robinson's series, the "Starman of 1951" was originally Charles McNider (Dr. Mid-Nite I). He allowed David Knight to take over the identity when David travelled in time.\
BRM just about got it - the other thing is that he quit as Star51 when there was a crimewave back in his own city.

#490256 06/03/06 05:49 PM
L
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
L
I just reread the Starman series (Prince Gavyn) in Adventure. I had forgotten how good it really was. The finale, which appeared in DC Comics presents, was nothing short of awesome. The final chapter was a Levitz/Starlin production, and was soooo good. This series definitely had a lot more potential than was used.

#490257 11/25/07 07:23 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
DC to Collect Complete Starman[/i] in HC Format

From [i]Newsarama:

STARMAN, the acclaimed DC Universe series created by writer James Robinson and artist Tony Harris, will be collected for the first time in hardcover, on high-quality paper, in THE STARMAN OMNIBUS, a series of six volumes beginning in May.

This series will feature new covers by Harris, and will measure 6.75” x 10.25”. Collecting the entire STARMAN series, plus the STARMAN ANNUALS, SECRET FILES, 80-PAGE GIANT, THE SHADE miniseries and much more, these volumes include stories illustrated by Harris, Peter Snejbjerg, Chris Sprouse, J.H. Williams III, Phil Jimenez, Gene Ha, Guy Davis, Teddy Kristiansen, Lee Weeks and many others, as well as several stories co-written by David Goyer.

Scheduled to reach stores in May, THE STARMAN OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC is a 448 page title collecting STARMAN #0 and 1-16, with a cover price of $49.99 U.S.

#490258 11/28/07 07:52 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Wow. I don't think I'll be spending $300 to buy higher-quality versions of comics I already own, but it's good to see DC hasn't totally forgotten this property. Maybe soon we'll finally see the Jack-in-Japan or Shade's origin story that James Robinson has been sitting on.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#490259 12/05/07 11:48 PM
Deputy
Deputy
We can only hope! Maybe with the writer's strike, James could redirect some energy to his love of comics!!!! You know, so something good could come out of it all.

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#490260 05/31/08 07:58 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
The first Starman Omnibus hit stores last week, just in time for my end-of-month shipment... I'll have it this coming Monday. smile

I've been looking forward to this since DCBS listed it for 50% in their January preorders... BouncingBoy

#490261 05/31/08 08:10 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Were you Prince Gavyn or his wife?
Fair question... and you never answered it, Cobie... lol

#490262 06/01/08 09:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
That hottie? If I was her in the dream, there'd be a lot of mirrors I'd try to find.

#490263 09/19/08 08:38 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I got (and love d) the first Omnibus! The second edition is listed in DC's December titles. So they're releasing them every six months?! sigh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,172
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Gigglebot Girl
Gigglebot Girl
Northumberland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star