Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/07/24 06:09 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 05:36 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Starman question
#490264 09/20/08 07:31 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
The official solicit:

from CBR:
THE STARMAN OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC
Written by James Robinson
Art by Tony Harris, John Watkiss, Guy Davis, J.H. Williams III, Chris Sprouse, Craig Hamilton, and others
Cover by Tony Harris
In this second volume, Jack Knight's disturbing dreams drive him to New York City to meet the Golden Age Sandman! Collecting STARMAN #17-29, STARMAN ANNUAL #1 and stories from SHOWCASE '95 #12 and SHOWCASE '96 #4-5.
Advance-solicited; on sale February 25 * 416 pg, FC, $49.99 US

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
lancesrealm #1007625 09/29/21 01:05 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
So after all this time, I'm rereading the six-Omnibus collection... I recently bought a Jack Knight ink and watercolor piece from Barry Kitson, and thought it would be a good way to while away the time while I wait for it to get here. I'm realizing how little of the run I actually read! I've had the six volumes on my shelf behind the Mattel Jack Knight figure, but I really only ever read the first Omni, issue 50 for the Legion tie-in, and #81 when I was buying BLACKEST NIGHT for my buddy Mike... I'm halfway through the final volume and am kicking myself for not giving these an in-depth reading.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
lancesrealm #1007656 09/29/21 02:36 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I remember not enjoying the issues anywhere near as much when Harris left the book. I'm still scarred by Robinson;s JLA run, not to want to go back to it too much. It certainly stood out at the time though.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
lancesrealm #1007667 09/29/21 10:16 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I still don't see why Robinson was so great on Starman but has mostly laid an egg on everything else he's written with very few exceptions.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
lancesrealm #1007671 09/29/21 11:48 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
THE GOLDEN AGE, LEAVE IT TO CHANCE and STARMAN...All so good.

lancesrealm #1007675 09/30/21 04:03 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I did like The Golden Age. Although the art was also excellent there.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #1007685 09/30/21 10:12 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Pov
THE GOLDEN AGE, LEAVE IT TO CHANCE and STARMAN...All so good.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
I did like The Golden Age. Although the art was also excellent there.

I did say "with a very few exceptions". nod Another less-known one was that mini he did starring the GA Vigilante.

But this is also the guy who wrote "Cry for Justice"..... shake

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
lancesrealm #1007688 09/30/21 11:17 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I was replying only to Pov, not questioning your opinion. tease

I don't think either of our responses warranted such an upsetting, traumatising reminder of Cry for Justice. smile

Although some of his JLA related work can be said to be transcendent. It was some of the poorest work I've read across various media, not just comics.

thoth lad #1007709 09/30/21 08:17 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally Posted by thoth lad
I don't think either of our responses warranted such an upsetting, traumatising reminder of Cry for Justice. smile

rotflmao

lancesrealm #1007770 10/02/21 11:30 AM
Leader
Leader
Optometrist appointment the other day. While waiting, I plowed thru the Ted Knight STARMAN stories from ADVENTURE COMICS #72-75...

Case Of The Magic Bloodstone!
The Case Of Murders In Outer Space!
The Case Of The Monstrous Animal-Men
The Strange Case Of The Luckless Liars!

All of these were by Gardner Fox & Jack Burnley. They look and read very nice and "professional", but it's too easy to see why this series didn't catch on at the time. Apart from the entire series concept and the hero's costume & powers seeming too "generic" and "deritivate" (the Ted Knight series was the result of a TEAM of 5 editors & Burnley pooling ideas-- "creation by committee" if there ever was an example), you have the bit about Ted always faking illness which gets tiresome. Then there's his not wearing a facemask, yet both his girlfriend Doris and his FBI contact somehow never recognize him.

Burnley's art is VERY nice, sharp, clean, "realistic", I'd almost say for comics, decades ahead of its time. It actually looks like it would have been a better fit in newspaper strips (in fact, Burnley did most of the BATMAN Sunday stories in the early 40s). At the same time, it's a bit "stiff", and not very "lively". I'm reminded that at the time the Golden Age Archive book came out (2000), it was one of many inspirations for a project I was working on. But since then, I've tried to take the advice of another artist and friend who kept urging me to "back away from too much photo-reference". As a result, while I still think it's pretty, it doesn't "grab" me the way it did 21 years ago.

Most of the line reproduction isn't bad (though I sometimes find myself wishing somone had done photographic reproduction right off the original printed comics), but the 4th story I read today looked like they really didn't have good source material to work with (some pages looked really fuzzy). I guess with stuff from that era, one should be grateful you can read it AT ALL these days, in any kind of "reasonably" decent shape.

[Linked Image from kirbymuseum.org]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,184
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
rtvu2
rtvu2
Texas
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star