Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad), 2 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/17/24 09:00 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:35 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/17/24 07:35 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:33 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:33 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:30 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:26 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Alexander - 05/17/24 07:09 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Justice: JLA ....Spoilers?
#494073 08/16/05 08:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So back when Justice League of America was around on earth 1, Wonder Woman was a founder. When crisis ended WW didn't exist until the Legends mini series and Perez's WW vol 2 the next year (1987) So all previous WW continuity was erased.

However the JL editors decided to keep their continuity, so they needed to replace WW in all the silver age stories. That made Canary a JLA founder continuity saved but with variations in the stories due to the large differences in power between WW and BC.

#494074 08/16/05 10:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So, really in a way, Canary's loss of power due to her rape crisis can be construed as mirroring Diana's loss of power (but without the harrowing after-effects of the violation). Who took her place as the sole distaff Leaguer while she recuperated? Hawkgirl? Zatanna?

#494075 08/16/05 10:05 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
oh i got that part. but, she is not herself in her daughters body anymore? not a ww 2 hero or what...

#494076 08/16/05 10:13 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
The current Canary is the daughter of the first. She was raised surrounded by her mom's JSA colleagues. Upon reaching adulthood, she decided to adopt her mom's identity and became a founding member of the JLA.

The mother's-memories-in-daughter's-body thing disappeared with the Crisis.

Black Canary is one of very few characters whose origin was actually simplified by the Crisis.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#494077 08/16/05 10:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So Black Canary I was Wonder Woman's post-CRISIS replacement in the Justice Society?

#494078 08/16/05 10:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Roy Thomas created a new character the Golden Age Fury mother of Lyta Trevor to replace Wonder Woman. (We're still waiting for Geoff Johns to fix this one. Maybe after infinite crisis.)

But when John Byrne wrote Wonder Woman in the nineties he wrote a story where Hypolyta WW's mother travelled back in time and became World War 2 Wonder WOman.

#494079 08/16/05 10:23 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Black Canary I was already in the JSA.

WW's replacement in the JSA was either Fury I, Miss America or Hippolyta, depending on which retcon you believe.

Black Canary II replaced WW in the JLA.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#494080 08/16/05 10:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Soooo confusing....

Think i'll have another drink, thanks LOL

#494081 08/17/05 12:30 AM
Substitute
Substitute
<<<Is it me or has DC stopped labelling these alternate continuity stories elseworlds? No EW on New Frontier, Batman Dark Detective, and now Justice.>>>

A thought occured to me...the kind that is inspired rom reading comics since before the CRISIS.
The kind that grows from that deeply planted seed during the CRISIS where one thinks "..end of the Multiverse? Never to be seen again? We'll see, we shall see" For which you read from that moment on looking for the subtle clues that prove to yourself "Its comin baaaack"," see?!?!".
And in that moment it occurs to me that this series will end AFTER yet another CRISIS.

Could it be that EARTH-One has been/will be making it's subtle return?

<<....that series like the "All-Star" line, "New Frontier" and "Justice" are actually closer to what "the real DC" is.>>

We shall see!!!

And hey, if that is the case that "Frontier" set up a past for "Justice" that sets the tone for an "Earth-1".....

very cool!

If anything it is just a happy little thought that was inspired from reading a happy little book.

#494082 08/17/05 03:29 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blacula:
Vee - I agree that Firestorm, Zatanna, etc weren't Silver Age members. I think I was just using the term lazily to refer to the pre-Martian invasion 'Satellite era' team that this story seems to be about.

Out of interest though, why do you consider Red Tornado a Silver Age member and not Elongated Man, when they joined an issue apart, and now that I think about it - Elongated Man joined first?
Hehe, probably because I'm relying on thirty plus year old memories. laugh You'll note I said "just barely" because I wasn't certain if RT actually made it in during that period though he was around. I recall him in some stories from back then but it could very well be from the annual JLA/JSA crossovers. If EL joined before RT then both would fall into the Bronze Age.

I would think that the logical dividing line between Silver & Bronze for the JLA would probably be the move to the satelitte HQ and/or Black Canary's move from Earth 2 to Earth

But what I do *DETEST* with a capital D for "Damn anyone who tries it!" is any retconning or revising of the JLofA's history! I hate buying a comic about the Satellite-era JLofA (the first comic I ever read and the first comic I ever collected and so it occupies a special place in my comic-lover's heart) and seeing characters who weren't on it inexplicably being treated like members. I even feel my blood pressure rising just at the sight of Black Canary's leggings not matching the colour they were back then. For someone who knows the JLofA as well as I do these little, and in some cases big, continuity changes are just extremely frustrating.

As Legion-lovers just imagine what it would be like if Ross decided to tell a story about the Adventure-era Legion but included Robin and Wildfire on the team with no explanation and had Phantom Girl in a black costume. Sure, he might like the changes he's made but as fans who want to read a story about the team as it was it would be very frustrating for us!
I understand this completely. I've seen the explanations about WW and BC and also about Hyppolita and BC2 and it drives me crazy. And they say Legion continuity is convoluted? shake

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#494083 08/17/05 06:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
But what I do *DETEST* with a capital D for "Damn anyone who tries it!" is any retconning or revising of the JLofA's history! I hate buying a comic about the Satellite-era JLofA (the first comic I ever read and the first comic I ever collected and so it occupies a special place in my comic-lover's heart) and seeing characters who weren't on it inexplicably being treated like members. I even feel my blood pressure rising just at the sight of Black Canary's leggings not matching the colour they were back then. For someone who knows the JLofA as well as I do these little, and in some cases big, continuity changes are just extremely frustrating.
I agree about this, but I don't see this series as a flashback, but as an imaginary story or as they are called today, an elseworld. I think that when one does an in continuity story or a fashback, they better do their homework and present things in proper context.

As Legion-lovers just imagine what it would be like if Ross decided to tell a story about the Adventure-era Legion but included Robin and Wildfire on the team with no explanation and had Phantom Girl in a black costume. Sure, he might like the changes he's made but as fans who want to read a story about the team as it was it would be very frustrating for us!
Actually, I need to disagree about this point too. Sorry. I see this not as a retcon as its not being adopted as official continuity. Also, I think if someone were to do a mini-series set in the Adventure-Era Legion that shows the team going back into time to recruit Wonder Girl (young Diana, not Donna) or Aquaboy or even Robin, I'd be cheering every step of the way.

#494084 08/17/05 06:54 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Is DC still doing Elseworld stories or possible Hyper-Time plot-lines? I'd like to think a mere speck of previous Legion history could be salvaged. If the younger generation are nonplussed by the references of a bygone age, then i say let them refer to the Legion Archives for answers - they are still classics!

#494085 08/17/05 08:02 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
thanks everyone for the black canary update. i dont remember this story being told...

actually i always thought it was a little icky that she was in her daughters body...i guess it was never her daughters body but...

also that writes should have made a bigger deal out of her 50 years of expwerience instead she was often treated as the new kid in the stelite jla. i guess next to wonder woman who is 2000 years old she would be.

#494086 08/17/05 12:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
As Legion-lovers just imagine what it would be like if Ross decided to tell a story about the Adventure-era Legion but included Robin and Wildfire on the team with no explanation...
COOL! laugh (well, except for the Robin part...)

#494087 08/17/05 07:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by legionadventureman:
Is DC still doing Elseworld stories or possible Hyper-Time plot-lines?
I believe they haven't given up on Elseworld stories yet though they have dropped that label.

"Hypertime" is a term no longer being used in the DCU either per Dan DiDio, so these are just gool ol' "imaginary stories".

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#494088 08/17/05 07:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Who is Dan Didio and why did he do such a drastic move to erase Hypertime?

#494089 08/17/05 07:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Dan Didio is the VP and Executive Editor for the DC Universe. He is directly under Paul Levitz (publisher) on the org-chart.

It's not certain why he said that but the key points seem to be hypertime was rarely used and poorly understood.

Some of us hope that this means that we'll be getting formal acknowledgement of a multiverse. The loss of "Elseworlds" label would be consistent with this because in the old days comics were never labeled as "Earth-2" or "Earth-S" or Animated Superfriends tie-in when they were published.

#494090 09/07/05 03:42 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just read #1. I have no problem with it. I like Elseworlds and I believe anything goes with them. Trust me rather all the Silver Age fanboy Ross stuff be an elseworld.

I enjoyed it. Seems a bit dark. Lots of death. But interesting. Just for the art it is amazing.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,426
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Rusty Shackleford
Rusty Shackleford
Palm Bay FL
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star