Roll Call
0 members (), 6 Murran Spies, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/25/24 01:32 PM
Why doesn't anyone here say 'chuffed', damnit?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 05/25/24 01:31 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/25/24 06:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 05/25/24 06:56 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:39 AM
What Turns you Off!!!!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:37 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/25/24 05:36 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What was so great about Preacher?
#494751 03/17/05 11:46 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I'm astonished by the number of excellent opinions regarding Preacher, from a wide variety of comic readers. I got v.1 out of the library and was basically grossed out. Interesting concept, but I don't see what the fuss was about.

Preacher fans! Spread your gospel!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Re: What was so great about Preacher?
#494752 03/17/05 12:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wish I could count myself among them but I, too, don't get it. Both Caroline and myself really wanted to like the series and picked up the first two trades through our book club. Neither one of us bothered even finishing the first one.

Was it something that got better later in the series or am I just missing the boat altogether?

#494753 03/18/05 06:41 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I keep meaning to reply to this, and I will once I"m not posting on the fly from work laugh

#494754 03/19/05 08:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I was a huge Preacher fan. Still am.

I can see if someone doesn't appreciate the gore/dark humor, but if you can get past that, it's phenomenal.

So... What can I say? Great stories, characters and art. To me, its so self-evidently classic that I it's hard to know where to begin... it's like trying to 'sell' LOTR or Star Wars.

I'm curious, Cramer, Scott... do you like any other Garth Ennis stories?

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#494755 03/19/05 08:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I honestly can't recall following a Garth Ennis written series.

#494756 03/20/05 02:39 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
The name is certainly familiar, but I couldn't recall what else he had written, so I checked this bibliography:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Garth_Ennis.htm

Guess I just don't go for his kind of story - Judge Dredd, Hellblazer never caught my fancy. I was quite surprised to see him listed for a Fables novel (Animal Farm - with Willingham).; it seems to be quite a break from his other work.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#494757 03/20/05 07:52 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I was quite surprised to see him listed for a Fables novel (Animal Farm - with Willingham).; it seems to be quite a break from his other work.
That's got to be wrong; I just looked through my ANIMAL FARM TPB, and there's no mention of Ennis in the credits. The cover pictured isn't even the cover for the paperback; it's teh original cover for FABLES #8. Chalk it up to an error by whoever created that site.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#494758 03/20/05 10:53 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
I can see if someone doesn't appreciate the gore/dark humor, but if you can get past that, it's phenomenal.

I'd agree with that. Some of the issues and one-shots, like the one featuring the brothers, go a bit too far in the gross-out dept. and aren't worth the time.

I wouldn't say it's like selling an LOTR - to me, it's more like trying to explain the appeal of the Western. Or the better Sam Peckinpah films.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#494759 03/20/05 05:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
I wouldn't say it's like selling an LOTR - to me, it's more like trying to explain the appeal of the Western. Or the better Sam Peckinpah films.
I guess my point wasn't so much ot compare works as to say that either you get it or you don't, and if you don't appreciate its genre in the first place, I don't know what to say.

#494760 03/21/05 01:41 AM
Active
Active
I picked up Preacher for a few issues, but then dropped it--I thought it definitely got worse as the series progressed--and haven't enjoyed Punisher or Ennis' minis. I was pretty fond of his Hellblazer work. But I loved Hitman.

I think the difference for me was the lack of self-assurance in the Hitman protagonists. I don't like almost any of Ennis' characters--I find them pretty repellent as people--but the guys in Hitman didn't like themselves very much, so they were sympathetic. And they dreamed about fulfilling Ennis' beloved Hard Manly Man archetype, while never actually having the courage/stupidity to actually go the distance.

In almost everything else I've read by Ennis, the protagonists seem to be 100% Hard Manly Men, perfect unflappable avatars of violence, yet apparently expected to be sympathetic by virtue of the truckload of moral commentary that comes with them. Or else they ought to be Hard Manly Men but are shamefully failing to conquer their inner sissy in various ways, and are justly punished for this. To me it feels like Ayn Rand channeling John Wayne, if that makes any sense, and it leaves me cold.

Obviously Preacher or Punisher fans will disagree, and I didn't jump on the thread to get you in a fighting mood--just to say that there are those of us who enjoy some Ennis but particularly dislike Preacher. My wife feels much the same way...she enjoyed Hitman but Preacher irritated her beyond measure. Maybe it's just because we're limp-wristed Berkeley bleeding-heart types. ColorKid

#494761 04/24/12 02:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I am really getting into Preacher.

The first trade struck me as way too gory. but I was curious what was going to happen next. This book dosn't seem like something I would like at all ... yet I just read trade number 2 and found it very funny. I laughed several times.

... and I'm interested in where the mystery is going with this one. trade number 2 had more action than trade number 1, and it seems like the book is finding it's legs.

Actually, it's no more gory than Walking Dead. Sometimes Walking Dead is a bit much for me too though.

I think number 3 will either be the trade where I finish it and say "that was good, I've had enough" or "I'm a fan and I'm going to read the all"

#494762 04/24/12 05:46 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Preacher is perhaps my favorite series of all time. Certainly a major contender.

It's hard for me to put into words why. I've reread the whole thing a ton of times.

Trade #3 is so good, Peebs that I bet you'll be hooked. I won't get into details so as not to spoil. But it has perhaps the best 'camraderie moment' ever in comics.

And then the series takes a major left turn out of nowhere and you realize it was about something else--something much more powerful--all along.

It has my favorite ending ever in comics.

It could make me laugh so hard one moment, then be totally disgusted the next...and then make me tear up like a little baby not soon after.

I got both brothers and my sister hooked on it years ago. We pass around the Preacher and Sandman trades continually, and have for years. (And now Scalped has joined that short list).

#494763 04/24/12 05:48 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Oh, and iirc, you just met Jodie and TC. Thats some f'ed up stuff! Few characters make me hate them more than Jodie.

#494764 04/24/12 06:43 PM
Active
Active
I loved Preacher, but it definitely felt like Ennis was sometimes just pushing boundaries to see how far the editors and readership would let him go. Those were by far the weakest moments of the series. Overall, it's a startling and amazing exploration of the loss and nature of faith. And yeah, one of the greatest endings ever.

#494765 04/24/12 07:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I loved Preacher as well. What it always comes down to me is if you take away all the gross-outs, you're still left with some of the most memorable characters I've ever read in a comic book. Garth excels at making them very 3-dimesional, and Preacher remains his opus for that.

As for the ending....spoiler-free, I wasn't terribly satisfied with it. I think Ennis' other big work, Hitman, ended just perfectly. Preacher? Well, it felt like Garth might have not gone as far as he should have.

Nonetheless, Preacher remains Garth's quintessential opus.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#494766 04/24/12 08:13 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Also loved Hitman in a big way, and loved it's ending too. Another masterpiece in it's own way. nod

Lardy is dead on as to one of the major reasons why Preacher works in terms of depth of character. The Jesse / Tulip romance is one of the best ever in terms of it's sheer depth; the complicated struggles and how they'd be overcome because of a true, genuine connection is realistic yet also pure romance.

#494767 04/24/12 08:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah. As over-the-top as it was with all its violence, gross-outs, blasphemy and potty humor, it's really those characters that make you love it. You wouldn't give two shits about how it ended if you didn't care about them.

That said, Preacher's still not for everybody. It's not for the easily offended, for sure. Hell, I think there were a few things in the series that even offended me! His The Boys is the same way. Ennis starts off both series with huge bombast, but when he really settles in, you really start caring.

I wonder if Cramer's tastes have evolved since she opened this topic so that maybe she would like it better. hmmm

#494768 04/24/12 08:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I never followed Hitman until its end, alas.

PB, the Proud Americans TPB was were it really hit its stride. Both the character-focused bookends and the interior story arc.

Yes, Ennis was pushing boundaries of what he could get away with, but it worked. And at the end of the day he had a collection of rich characters that surpass anything gratuitous.

#494769 04/25/12 07:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Went by the CBS ...

Proud Americans - check
Ancient History - check

Rainy day - check
Procrastination - check

There's a lot of Preacher love in this thread. I can't wait to see what you're all talking about.

#494770 05/21/12 08:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I ate through the finale of Preacher this weekend.

It left me wondering "what does that mean?" not many comic books leave me inspired to wonder about their meaning ... or to want to understand it more.

even the best books I usually get it pretty easily but Preacher has me curious about what more I could get out of it on a second and/or slower read through.

now I want to reread it to catch all the layers of meaning throughout the series, and see how it led up to the conclusions of the final story arc.

There's a lot of 'there' there.

#494771 05/24/12 08:33 PM
Eager Young Space Cadet
Eager Young Space Cadet
I followed Preacher through about the first 1/3 of the run. Liked the concept and the building of the friendship between Cassidy and Jesse & the romance between Jesse and Tulip.

But I found that I had to be in certain mood to read it. It was dark, gritty, violent, and gory, not something I wanted to read every day.

So after Jesse went home to find his grandmother(?), I needed to take a break from it and never quite made it back.

Absolute favorite character however was Saint of Killers. Twisted idea yet so wicked.

"I have a ticket to the moon....but I'd rather see the sunrise...in your eyes"
#494772 05/29/12 02:54 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Re Preacher and Hitman, I just enjoyed them for the sheer mind-blowing craziness that went on in them. Ennis took some interesting ideas and just went on a major high of exploration. Like... wow.

#494773 05/30/12 12:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
PB, I followed Preacher from the get-go back in the day, and I can still reread it and gain new insights. There indeed is a lot of 'there' in there.

#494774 05/30/12 07:27 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I've reread it at least a half dozen times from start to finish and I always get something new at least once in every trade.

One of my favorite moments upon mulitple rereads: earlier in the series we meet the guy in Southwest who is blasting massive sized letters into the landscape so that from space you can read "FUCK YOU". A bit farther down the line, at the perfect moment when Jesse basically regains his perspective and will to 'fight back' against all the various antagonistic forces, the scene suddenly shifts back to this guy, as some astronauts from space see the "FUCK YOU" and are totally enraged by it. They are shown saying "some bastard wrote FUCK YOU into the landscape! Can you believe it?!" And then we see the guy cheering, jumping up and down.

It's ridiculous to the extreme--and hilarious beyond measure. But there's something kind of powerful about that moment. That was that guy's life work and it comes off as a smashing success. And its also the epitome of fighting back against authority and taking a stand. Which is a major theme of what Ennis is saying about the USA and the western genre in general.

It's a great example of Ennis' talent of taking something so outrageous / gross / hilarious and turning into something that is actually quite moving.

#494775 05/30/12 04:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
My wife likes Zippo lighters, even though she doesn't smoke. Kind of a fascination with her dad's small collection of them.

Anyway, I keep telling her she needs to get one that says "Fuck Communism!" lol I get a blank look because she never read Preacher. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,024
Posts1,045,692
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
confusionlad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Beagz
Beagz
Aggieland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star