Roll Call
0 members (), 64 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/17/24 03:40 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/17/24 02:51 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/17/24 02:27 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 01:47 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/17/24 08:20 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 06:19 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 06:19 AM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by razsolo - 05/17/24 05:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Am I over comic books?
#499092 10/14/10 04:32 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I have a pile sitting in my reading area waiting to be read. I have LOTS of time on my hands.

Yet still they go unread. Including the last 2 Adventure issues before the current one.

Maybe it's time to drop everything except THE WALKING DEAD and LSH...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Re: Am I over comic books?
#499093 10/14/10 04:53 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You need that one great story that inspires you and reminds you why you love them again.

#499094 10/14/10 04:59 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I know how you feel Lash - the pile of books I'm interested in just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Occasionally, something like an Empowered volume will come out that I'll really enjoy, but the boost doesn't last, or spread...

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#499095 10/14/10 05:45 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
It seems they only get read when WALKING DEAD or WELCOME TO TRANQUILITY come out... I read my favorites last, so when those come out that is when all the others get read.

MORNING GLORIES is still new and mysterious and has my attention, as does Young Avengers when it comes out. LSH is always a sentimental fave of course.

I honestly think I could drop all the others and not be worried about it.

Maybe I just need to have a good all-day sit-down read-athon in the sun room with a big glass of iced tea.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#499096 10/15/10 11:37 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
Lash, I know exactly what you mean. Over the past few years, the number of comics I buy has lessened a good deal. Most of that comes from this question: Do I really want to spend 3 or 4 dollars on something that lasts maybe 15 minutes?

The answer is, only if I really, really like it.

I was all excited about the revamping of the Legion, and also about Gail Simone returning to Birds of Prey. By the time those series came out, I found...I just didn't care. I have pretty much a complete run of Legion (except for a few very early issues) but I just can't bring myself to buy any of the new issues.

Right now, the only comic I am reading is Buffy, and it will end soon. I am wondering if I will even be visiting the CBS after issue #40. (Yes, I know they will do a Buffy - Season 9, but the resolution of the current series is so underwhelming I will finish the current series, but no more.)

I might be about done with comics, too...

#499097 10/15/10 01:27 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Grant Morrison will save you, Lash, if you'd only let him. wink

#499098 10/15/10 02:15 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Interesting. 'The Walking Dead' and anything LSH related are the only comics I am still reading... and the LSH stuff has come very close to being dropped several times in recent years. So, is it us that have changed or the comics? Or both?

#499099 10/15/10 06:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
There's still plenty of really outstanding titles out there. More and more, however, I'm finding that these are creator-owned series published either by Vertigo or by any number of indie publishers (Image, in particular, has had an outstanding batting average lately). There are a good number of terrific titles published by the Big Two, as well, but it's the indies, more and more, that are really firing on all cylinders.

Read the various review threads and see some of the great books we're talking about. Off the top of my head, some of the indies/Vertigos getting well-deserved pub (other than the already-mentioned Morning Glories and Walking Dead) are Chew, Turf, The Boys, The Secret History, Mystery Society, Scalped, Irredeemable, Atomic Robo, Invincible and Time Bomb. The list goes on and on.

Honestly, if you're not looking hard enough, you probably are just looking for an excuse to get out anyway. But the fact is that there's plenty of diverse and phenomenally awesome comics out there!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#499100 10/15/10 10:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I go through phases - sometimes I think there is nothing worth reading in comics and I'm just throwing my money and time away continuing with the hobby. And then others, I'm really into it and can't wait to find out what's happening next in a particular story/character's 'life'.

One system I have developed which has made my comics-buying hobby a lot more bearable is to develop a zero-tolerance approach to crap comics (except for the Legion which my continued purchasing of Adventure Comics is testament to). This means if a series has two or at most three bad issues in a row - it's dropped!

Continuing to buy an awful book in the hopes that it will get better is like a comic-book cancer IMO since the resentment you have toward the writers/editors/publisher of that book(s) can spread to the hobby as a whole.

Keeping your pull-list relatively small but varied helps too IMO. I make sure to always buy a few non-DCU/non-super hero books (mainly in TPB - Walking Dead, Scalped, Unwritten), a good Vertigo book (Madame Xanadu), one or at most two books each from the Batman and Superman families (currently the JMS and Morrison ones - the latter being really very good at the moment), one or two team books (currently just The Legion for me - the Titans, JLA and JSA franchises would need some big shake-ups to get me interested in them again), one or two solo books that I feel good work is being done on (eg. Green Lantern), one 'event' type book (only if it is well-written) to stay up to date with the 'happenings' of the DCU (Brightest Day at the moment) and then one or two quirky/out-of-left-field series' or one-shots that I feel will give me something different to latch onto (the upcoming Ragman one-shot for example).

Keep your hobby diverse and manageable like that so that it's maintaining your interest and you're not spending too much money on it will probably go some way toward keeping the hobby alive for you.

#499101 10/16/10 02:06 AM
Leader
Leader
I can't suffer from a comics-based-ennui as I haven't been able to really regularly read any titles in years due to no comic shop up here.

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#499102 10/16/10 08:30 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
There's still plenty of really outstanding titles out there. More and more, however, I'm finding that these are creator-owned series published either by Vertigo or by any number of indie publishers (Image, in particular, has had an outstanding batting average lately). There are a good number of terrific titles published by the Big Two, as well, but it's the indies, more and more, that are really firing on all cylinders.

Read the various review threads and see some of the great books we're talking about. Off the top of my head, some of the indies/Vertigos getting well-deserved pub (other than the already-mentioned Morning Glories and Walking Dead) are Chew, Turf, The Boys, The Secret History, Mystery Society, Scalped, Irredeemable, Atomic Robo, Invincible and Time Bomb. The list goes on and on.

Honestly, if you're not looking hard enough, you probably are just looking for an excuse to get out anyway. But the fact is that there's plenty of diverse and phenomenally awesome comics out there!
I think Lardy has it exactly right. There are a ton of EXCELLENT comic books out there right now, but you have to look for them in places you normally would not. Honestly, anyone depending on DC and Marvel them interested in comics is going to be dissapointed; I like to follow characters I loved my whole life too but the Big 2 have proven that they can never have more than 25% of their output be anything better than mediocre. There are good comics from the Big 2, but they're hard to find and often the best ones get canceled. I mean, sure, I like team superhero comics like everyone else, but I can't remember the last time a superhero team comics was so fantastic it made me excited like a 10 year old.

I think the independent publishers and Vertigo are where you need to go to find real quality, moving, exciting comic books right now. Lardy mentions a whole plethora of really great ones above and he only scratched the surface. For instance, if you're not reading Fables, you're doing yourself a real disservice and there is always time to catch up in trades, just like the Walking Dead. The quality of story & art being produced right now by these guys (and like Lardy says, Image in particular seems to be the real leader right now) is really impressive.

I'm someone who likes diversity of genre in my comics and I know everyone says that. I also know that there are people who read comic books for superheroes, and I can't blame them--I need a strong dosage of superheroes as well each month, it's why I started reading comics in the first place. But I can tell you, there are some pretty EXCELLENT superhero comic books out there, so do not despair! The superhero may not be one you have a nostalgic tie to, but I think if you gave it a chance you wouldn't be dissapointed. Green Hornet: Year One by Dynamite is probably the best street-level superhero comic I've seen in a long time. DC has some good comics that might not be everyone's cup of tea but I think you'll find something you like: Green Lantern, Flash, Booster Gold. And at Marvel, I'm really enjoying Fantastic Four, SHIELD and the Hulk comic books (anotther hint: if you see the names Jeff Parker or Fred Van Lente, it's probably excellent). So I think superheroes shouldn't be written off yet either.

But like Lardy says, expand your appetite to more independents and Vertigo and you'll be pleased. There is so much good right now in comics that I'm more excited now than I have been in over a decade.

#499103 10/16/10 03:19 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I personally would not buy a comic that I didn't think was good. ZATANNA and WARLORD and SECRET 6 and BIRDS OF PREY and <insert title> are not bad comic books. They are good comic books.

So its not that I am buying comics I don't already like.

I get everyone's point about diversity. Unfortunately, my personal history with the VERTIGO line is spotty at best. I am currently reading (and enjoying) I ZOMBIE. And I never thought the day would come again when there were 2 IMAGE titles on my pull, like at present.

I am sure my vague dissatisfaction with most comics will pass.

But right now, if it weren't for WALKING DEAD and TRANQUILITY... I dunno.

#499104 10/16/10 03:27 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
FWIW, LASH, all I'm reading at the moment besides Legion comics is The Stuff of Legend, and whatever I can snatch up at the library. (I did pick up one Marvel mini-series recently, too.) When money's tight and books aren't all that affordable, I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

Also, the library's great for looking into stuff that has a lot of hype behind it, but that you're not sure you'll really like in long form. I now have a "reserve list" of stuff I'll want to own at some point, if my fortunes ever turn around-- thanks to the library.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#499105 10/16/10 03:34 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I have SOOO wasted my time off by NOT going to the library. I really could kick myself. It's almost stupid not to go.

#499106 10/16/10 03:38 PM
Do it!

That was a big solace to me when I was out of work. I'd grab a super-cheap lunch downtown with mr_cleome at a food cart, and then wile away the day at the main branch, which is a glorious place-- and just across the street from where he works.

Sadly, I had no luck getting my hands on most of the early Legion collections. Apparently they went out but never came back. [grumble] Lots of other goodies, though.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#499107 10/17/10 10:59 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Pov reminded me on Facebook about my love of the current Doom Patrol. There's an issue in my stack and I got a little excited.

Yay!

#499108 10/17/10 11:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I know what you mean LAsh. But I do like some of the stuff I am getting from DC at this point.

I, like I think you do, miss when comics were fun. Fun to read, and not a matter of dreading who was going to be killed or maimed this month. The Walking Dead being the exception...as you cannot wait to see what happens to them next.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#499109 10/18/10 09:25 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I just read 3 comics.

Marvel Zombies 5 # 5 was really REALLY good.

I'm not over comics I guess. smile

#499110 10/22/10 09:10 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I was kinda underwhelmed by the last 2 issues of WARLORD (which I finally read last night) although I did enjoy Grell's art.

So underwhelmed I almost set the rest of my stack aside-- instead, I chose to read the last 2 issues of the second RAWHIDE KID mini, but after doing a search for "Rawhide Kid" and seeing Cobie's decidedly negative review elsewhere in this forum, I'm a little a-scared to report that I enjoyed them. smile

It was silly goofy fun with NICE Chaykin art. All in all, though, I wondered what I else I could have done with the $16 I spent on it.

So I'm slOOOOwly moving through my stack. I came into some extra cash today and do plan on hitting the CBS this weekend. So that's good.

#499111 10/22/10 09:14 PM
I picked up the Legion stuff today. Will read it and comment later, when I'm less tired.

I was floored (in a good way) to see that James Sturm has a new graphic novel out. Unfortunately it's way too rich for my blood right now, but I want iiiiit11!!! Sturm has been a fave of mine forever.

[sulk]

Eh. Maybe next month I can have it.

#499112 12/10/10 08:16 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I had to share this:

I cancelled everything on my pull list.

I believe the final straw was when the DCU Legacies mini that I had initially championed so enthusiastically devoted an issue to Doomsday/Azbats.

I just can't take it anymore.

I'll still get Steve Bissette's comeback book and the next installments of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen whenever they all come out, but otherwise I've embarked on my second hiatus from the month-in/month-out thing. The first one lasted from late '97 to early '05. Who can say how long this one will? frown

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#499113 12/10/10 08:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Rise of Arsenal #4 was so bad it made me drop just about everything I picked up from DC. For about a couple of months.

Sorry, I love them too much and owe them too much to drop them now. If I really stopped caring about the characters I wouldn't be protesting so hard.

#499114 12/10/10 11:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I had to share this:

I cancelled everything on my pull list.

I believe the final straw was when the DCU Legacies mini that I had initially championed so enthusiastically devoted an issue to Doomsday/Azbats.

I just can't take it anymore.
I was wondering what happened to you in that thread. You got me into that book and then ditched me! wink

I agree that the Bane/Doomsday issue wasn't the best but I've been enjoying that book enough to keep going the few issues it has left.

I certainly don't begrudge you for dropping it (or your other titles) though. My patience with comics these days is so thin that I give most books only one or two bad issues before I drop them. I do not have the time, money or inclination to continue buying things that don't bring me pleasure anymore.

Hope you stick around Legion World though.

#499115 12/11/10 12:40 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Comic books have certainly gone through better times. I'm not buying much anymore, but a lot of that has to do with money, time and other priorities. I've been doing a lot of re-reading of books in my collection in recent years. That is keeping the hobby fresh for me since it's been years since I read some of these books.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#499116 12/11/10 12:04 PM
Blacula, I'm definitely sticking around, I'm just more likely to be found at MMB than Gymll's these days. But that was very sweet of you. Thanks.

Jerry, I'm also re-reading old favorites as well as catching up on the good stuff that I missed during my first hiatus.

#499117 12/11/10 12:14 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I recently got my entire pull-bag bought for me as a surprise early Christmas gift (I usually pick out about $20-$30 worth of the titles therein, my favorite stuff only, when I go). I haven't read the first book out of it yet but I will get around to it.

I kind-of wish he hadn't done that... there was some stuff in there I wasn't sure I wanted anymore like JLA and the last 3 issues of Adventure (the flashback stories have not been good IMO). There were several books in there I had intended to put back on the shelf.

The only super-faves of mine in the stack are the latest I ZOMBIE and DOOM PATROL issues.

But that was very sweet, and I will get around to reading them maybe today and tomorrow.

The best news about all this is, my pull is now emptied except for what came in Wednesday, and now I should work to keep it under control and buy ONLY what I know I really like the best.

#499118 12/12/10 09:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Lash, I've noticed that lately a lot of my old favs are falling to the bottom of the list, like JSA and Flash.

Its disheartening, but then I remember that I get books like the above mentioned BoP, Secret Six and DP, and I see hope.

I'd say I'm closer to be over TV than I am comics.

I've also noticed that I am enjoying more independents, like the late lamented Strangers in Paradise, the latest Buck Rodgers, and Gail's Tranquility. (I know, but I consider it an independent, lol)

I've about given up on Marvel and now only collect the excellent Hawkeye mini's and when I see a regular book, Herc.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#499119 12/08/11 03:45 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I'm going through one of those phases again...

Now that the excitement of the New 52 has worn down, I find it hard to bring myself to read any comics.

I recently read Young Avengers # 7, which was good... and then green Arrow and Legion Lost # 3, both of which were very boring. I still have several # 3s in there to read, and haven't checked on my pull bag at the CBS in WEEKS.

Feh.

#499120 12/08/11 04:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've bought next to nothing the last month or two, and it is going to severely impact my pull list. I will buy what is in my bin, and probably finish off some stories, but my full pull list is going to be very short from here on out.

Between other things that need money (car, house, kids) I find that I am enjoying buying movies that I want, amongst looking for back issues that I am going to start hunting down.

#499121 12/08/11 04:56 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The New 52 broke me of DC ... almost ... I'm only getting OMAC for how long it lasts and Batwoman. Oh and Stormwatch still twists my arm ... but I'm trying to drop it.

The rest are just 19 pages. and some of that is Splash pages. I can't deal.

So, I'm back to getting the same amount of DC comics as I was before the reboot. except now I'm jaded.

Also, the frenetic pace with which Marvel has been churning out the events has really worn me out. I am excited about Wolverine's XMen and their return to the school but, the Avengers have me fatigued from the melodrama.

I'm gravitating more and more towards just indies .... which is odd for me since I've always loved super hero books.

I've actually been so fatigued i've given up getting everything i usually get ... i have to make a point of getting only things i love. which is about a third of what i previously got ... but it's sad i was previously getting so much stuff i just wasn't into.

At least thanks to legion World I can find out about old runs of good things i've missed over the years.

#499122 12/08/11 06:04 PM
That's why we're here, Peebs. smile

I returned tentatively from my short-lived hiatus a while ago. I still read a few current mainstream comics (mostly the Avengers titles, which are possibly on the verge of turning around now that Bendis will be leaving within the year and Rick Remender is taking over Secret Avengers) but I generally wait for trades to arrive at the library.

I will definitely buy Ann Nocenti's first Green Arrow issue and see where I go from there. Batwoman has been getting universal acclaim, but I've decided to wait for the trade.

And the Steve Bissette comeback comic never materialized. frown

#499123 12/08/11 06:36 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I recommend you look through the back issue bins for a $1.00 copy of X-Force #1. Then come online and write a review for it that only talks about how awesome it is.

You'll be smiling. Trust.

#499124 12/08/11 06:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
... I think I have it somewhere but it's probably easier to just go to the comic store and shell out a buck.

When I get home I'm all about doing this. lol

#499125 12/08/11 06:42 PM
Better yet, invest in cheap back issues of X-Force #14-25, the tragically short-lived Fabian Nicieza/Greg Capullo era, one of the shining highlights of 90s superhero comics.

#499126 12/08/11 06:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
... <GASP> could this result in me ... becoming .... an

X-FORCE FAN ?!?!?!?!!? That would be ridiculous ...

I'm SURE X-Force #1 1989 was actually a big factor in my comic book break up that lasted until 1999 !

omg I'm so gonna do it, these boards will be alight with my X-Force reviews!! (we may lose some members)

#499127 12/08/11 06:56 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
See, now you got me wanting to go grab those issues as well...Gotta finish the Avengers first though.

I wanna reread The New Warriors as well.

#499128 12/08/11 07:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
... I am half way through my Avengers reviews and real life has gotten in the way ! mad

Yeah, I wonder about New Warriors ... it was one of the last comics I was getting before I quit getting comics in the 90s but ... I wonder if it's because it was good or what ? I remember it had action and a traditional heros go on adventures and do stuff format, instead of the insular world embellishment stories the X books had going on at the time. I'm still a fan of most of the New Warriors. Justice Firestar Namorita ...

#499129 12/08/11 07:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I always enjoyed the New Warriors quite a bit. It felt more real to me than a lot of comics out there.

#499130 12/08/11 07:17 PM
I think the first 25 issues of New Warriors were pure gold, but then Fabian Nicieza spent the next 25 issues "smashing his toys." I love the guy, but I hate the way he built up Namorita only to tear her down.

#499131 12/08/11 07:51 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I recently reread X-Force #1-11. If you do the same--bring Gatorade and wear Levis.

#499132 12/09/11 04:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm actually more than a little embarrassed to go to the comic store and purchase them LOL!

Maybe I can wear a disguise or buy them online, how do you buy stuff online with cash ... from an internet cafe ... . lol

I could drive across town to a comic shop where nobody knows me! I hope they don't have surveillance cameras.

#499133 12/09/11 08:03 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Just tell anyone who asks you're buying them for your son/daughter/niece/nephew/to give away for Christmas, etc.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#499134 12/09/11 08:23 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Due to circumstances, I'll be in all weekend... so current plans call for me to visit the CBS later this morning and get a bulk of books from my pull... I hope to spend the weekend reading them and get back into the comics spirit...

#499135 12/09/11 08:46 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
pick up some X-Force while you're at it. lol

#499136 12/09/11 12:08 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
No.

#499137 12/09/11 07:32 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well I spent an obscene amount of money at the CBS... and still didn't clear my pull. *sigh*

Anyhoo, I have mulitple issues of OMAC and a couple other new DCs I was really liking, plus a new The Walking Dead issue and a crapload more stuff, so I hope to get back in the swing.

I think Cobie should hold quarterly "review months" to keep me and others psyched about comics!!

#499138 12/10/11 12:32 PM
Originally posted by MLLASH classic:
I think Cobie should hold quarterly "review months" to keep me and others psyched about comics!!
That's a great idea. I'll second that.

#499139 12/10/11 12:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
[b] I think Cobie should hold quarterly "review months" to keep me and others psyched about comics!!
That's a great idea. I'll second that.[/b]
Cobie...Make it so!

#499140 12/10/11 03:02 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Most of my DCnU stuff is still holding my interest... I sort my monthly pile alphabetically by company, and I easily read from Batgirl to Resurrection Man in a sitting-- that's 12-13 books from DC alone!

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#499141 12/10/11 04:35 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Perhaps Jan 2012 shall be Revenge of Comic Book Review Month!

#499142 12/10/11 04:52 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^Bride of Comic Review Month?

#499143 12/10/11 05:02 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Ah yes, the traditional route. Bride next and then Son of Comic Book Review Month in April.

#499144 12/10/11 06:43 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I'm already getting excited about comics again! But I still haven't read any... smile

#499145 12/10/11 07:12 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Ah yes, the traditional route. Bride next and then Son of Comic Book Review Month in April.
Don't forget Princess Crujectra Day meets Comic Review Month, which will set off a string of Mash threads!

#499146 12/10/11 10:54 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
We have just enough prep time to get our slogans, grading systems and lines in the sand ready for review time!

"I'm not saying the Nazi's burning books was okay, but I really wish they could round up all the copies of the recent issues of _____"

Hm. Better refine some of those.

#499147 12/10/11 11:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Bring it on!!!!

This one will be even more no holds bared than the last one !!

Starting with ... X-'Force'.

#499148 12/10/11 11:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm already getting excited about comics again! But I still haven't read any... smile
lol

#499149 12/11/11 09:51 AM
If you want to maintain your level of excitement . . . don't.

wink

#499150 12/11/11 10:01 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
shake ... rotflmao

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#499151 12/11/11 12:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ya'll soundin way too jaded here.

#499152 12/11/11 02:59 PM
I am sorely tempted to post my grocery list to the "So, What'd You Get This Week?" thread.

PovertyLad

#499153 12/11/11 03:09 PM
rotflmao

Oh, Cleome...

laugh

#499154 12/11/11 04:55 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
STILL haven't read ANYTHING, and have been housebound ALL weekend with a big stack waiting...

I blame the internet, and the DVR. And to a lesser extent, Cobalt Kid. wink

#499155 12/14/11 06:10 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Hang in there another two weeks Lash and we'll have a CBRM! Hopefully by then you havent dropped your entire pull list!

#499156 04/27/12 07:45 PM
I've come to an important realization: I'll never be completely over comic books.

That said, I've sampled the more acclaimed of both the independents and the Big Two, and found them all somehow lacking.

I think it's a case of being out of step with the current aesthetic, which makes sense when you consider that comics' current main movers-and-shakers are from my own generation, and I've always felt out of step with my own generation. And as for the writers who were on the cutting edge twenty or thirty years ago, I'm no longer fooling myself that, nowadays, the majority of them are either going through the motions or being treated like dirt by their editors.

Maybe the next generation of creators will do work more to my liking, maybe not. At this point I'm not worried about it anymore. Also, my local library system seems to have cut back severely on acquiring new trades, which robs me of another avenue with which to peruse the new stuff. Finally, money is tight, and what I little I can spend I prefer to spend on DVDs of cartoons that I loved in grade school and junior high.

So here's to the future. The present can't change soon enough. laugh

#499157 05/03/12 10:47 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I'm letting things pile up again, so I am about to shut down the laptop and do a little reading. I'm only sort-of excited to read Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest, but I have heard decent reports so I am going to read them first!

#499158 06/05/12 07:51 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Haven't read anything in about two months. I've been picking my books up regularly, but they've just been piling up at home. Between work, the election and family stuff, I've just been too busy or too tired to bother. It may be time to make the break to trades.

#499159 06/05/12 08:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've migrated ... away from the big two ... more or less.

but Earth 2 and World's Finest doubled the comics I get from DC!

#499160 06/05/12 09:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I definitely recommend sampling the various Image,
Dark Horse, Dynamite and other independents reviewed on LW to reinvigorate your fire for comics. It's what has kept me so enthusiastic for the medium.

Marvel and DC have a few good comics each but the vast majority of their stuff is crap (and even if it starts good, they eventually let a series turn to crap). Its difficult to cut through their mediocre stuff to find the gems, and that can leave you exhausted.

#499161 07/25/12 09:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't know if I'm "over" comic books, but today I cut my pull list back to two books -- LSH and Legion Lost.

I looked at my CBS's "New This Week" rack just to test my resolve, and I still felt "meh" about everything there. It just seems there are more important ways to spend my time and money right now.

Bye-bye "Before Watchmen". So long "Saga". Farewell "Wolverine and the X-Men"...and all the rest.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#499162 07/25/12 10:30 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Aw. frown

I thought we got you hooked on some good 'uns like....Chew, maybe? hmmm Sorry Saga didn't do it for ya, LT.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#499163 07/26/12 06:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Lardy, as far as comics go, I was enjoying Saga and Chew and others, and I'm glad I found out about them here. I just need to make room for some other things for now.

I'll keep reading the reviews here, though!

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#499164 11/12/12 07:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
dude. There is so much gore and blood all over the comic's covers these days ... I'm talking Batman holding a jaw ... It may take some effort to find a character on a cover NOT dripping in blood.

I'm not neccessarilly opposed to horror or it being on a cover ... I'm not talking about Saga or New Deadwardians (which is a horror story with very little gore and blood on the cover or within ... same with Fatale)

I'm talking about blood being all over the DC and Marvel covers ... I'm not even coming from a moral perspective, like Batman's partner is a ten year old ... maybe he shouldn't being ripping off people's faces.

(I wouldn't criticize Hit Girl, that seems appropriate for the story ... and if i don't like it I wont buy it)

but ... it just seems like the big two are throwing blood and guts at everyone irrespective of story and/or characters personalities.

its lazy, somewhat irresponsible, and sensationalist.

does the blood sell the story or does the story sell the story.

I think its pretty obvious blood and "i've never seen someone die that way before" may sell a few issues, while the story will sell the series.

#499165 11/12/12 08:22 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
With the final issue of Avengers Academy in my hot little hands, I'm left with X-Factor as my only Marvel purchase.

When Legion Lost ends, I'll be down to Legion of Super-Heroes as my sole regular DC purchase.

I feel like one of those disgruntled politicians who becomes an independent and says, 'I didn't leave my party. My party left me.'

I'm picking up random things lately, like Teen Titans and Journey into Mystery and Hypernaturals, just to see if anything leaps out and engages me, but so far nothing has tackled me to the ground and demanded my moneys yet.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#499166 11/12/12 08:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I saw a recent preview of Avengers Arena #1 ...

which has X-23 skewering Hazmat as Hazmat fries the flesh off X-23's skeleton ... scrambling eye balls and all.

Kill or be Killed. wink

I'm not sure if I would notice so much except that the "murder murder murder guns ammo claws" ... is running the show rather than being part of the show.

#499167 11/12/12 09:09 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Power Boy: I saw a recent preview of Avengers Arena #1 ...

which has X-23 skewering Hazmat as Hazmat fries the flesh off X-23's skeleton ... scrambling eye balls and all.

Kill or be Killed. wink
I think I'll pass on that one. I've never liked Arcade, and I have zero desire to see any of those characters re-enacting the Hunger Games.

#499168 11/12/12 10:56 PM
I'm enjoying the Legion Archives I've finally scored from the library.

So I'm not over comic books. I am over the idea that my finances will ever again be in a state where I can commit to buying the damn things, though.

#499169 11/13/12 09:56 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
I suppose I am pretty much over comic books. I haven't bought even one in almost 2 years. Neither the finances nor the interest is there. It isn't just comic books, though. Lately I have had trouble reading almost any work of fiction.

I do have a nephew who is in the Marines. He is one of the finest people I know, actually. A few weeks ago I told him he could have all of my old Avengers and X-Men if he wanted them. I think I could hear him salivating over the phone.

#499170 11/13/12 04:55 PM
And then there was steak!
Originally posted by cleome46:
I'm enjoying the Legion Archives I've finally scored from the library.

So I'm not over comic books. I am over the idea that my finances will ever again be in a state where I can commit to buying the damn things, though.
I keep dreaming that one day i'll have the money to buy all the archives. I KEEP DREAMING. I mean, seriously, if you bought all 13 of them for face value you'd be spending close to 500 bucks! YEEEEESH!

#499171 11/13/12 05:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I used to get one every year for my birthday. laugh

#499172 11/13/12 06:01 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Ha! I used to do one every Christmas! I like your style, Peebs! laugh

#499173 11/13/12 06:08 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think I bought about one a month when I was buying them. Managed to get some pretty good deals on them by shopping around online as I recall...

#499174 11/13/12 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Conjure Lass:
Originally posted by cleome46:
[b] I'm enjoying the Legion Archives I've finally scored from the library.

I keep dreaming that one day i'll have the money to buy all the archives. I KEEP DREAMING. I mean, seriously, if you bought all 13 of them for face value you'd be spending close to 500 bucks! YEEEEESH! [/b]
No, you're thinking of this all wrong. Basically, you find twelve other trustworthy lunatics. Each one commits to buying a different volume. Then we-- er, the other twelve obsessive fans besides you swap them back and forth in the mail.

Yes, it'll be sort of like that M*A*S*H* ep where everyone in camp waited their turn to read B.J.'s one copy of a mystery a few pages at a time-- but so what?

Do it for the collective! Gates

#499175 11/13/12 09:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Collective or no, cleome, you can bribe with sweet treats. nod

#499176 11/14/12 03:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sometimes I think I'm over comic books, but I never get over the Legion Archives. They have a staying power that other comics just don't achieve.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#499177 11/14/12 08:29 AM
Active
Active
The best way not to get burned out on comics is to just select one title to follow. For me it's the Legion (which has meant two titles purchased a month, soon only one). This works with my budget and gives me a month of anticipation between reads so I don't get burned out. I can't even imagine you guys who have a pull list of a dozen or so titles every month. One title is enough for me.

#499178 11/15/12 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Leather Wolf:
The best way not to get burned out on comics is to just select one title to follow. For me it's the Legion (which has meant two titles purchased a month, soon only one). This works with my budget and gives me a month of anticipation between reads so I don't get burned out. I can't even imagine you guys who have a pull list of a dozen or so titles every month. One title is enough for me.
I'm similar. I pretty much only follow the Legion religiously. But it keeps me going to the shop once a month which usually leads to my buying OTHER titles which subsequently continues the evil cycle.

That and I really just got back into comics like six months ago after a 10 year break. I am faaar from burnt out yet.

#499179 11/17/12 09:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
My love has definitely waned some. I'm really not feeling the new DC, and I left marvel years ago. There are a few independents I like, but the my love for it has definitely suffered due to the bad writing, poor storylines, and almost disdain for older comics readers like me.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
MLLASH #774406 06/09/13 03:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I haven't bought comic books for the past two weeks! and I went to the shops and looked around.

shrug

I'm so burned out on all things action and marvel ... and dc I am done with. It is easy to boycott when you only have to drop one title --- World's Finest --- that is boring.

Anyway, I could very easily switch to trades of the things I do get ... Daredevil, Saga, Hawkeye. They might even read better.

I do Morning Glories, Glory, Manhattan Projects and Chew as trades.

This is almost a 90s esque diaspora. Especially if I just ordered the trades off Amazon.

The sad thing is ... going to the CBS is a mid week treat for me.

but now it is not worth the trip.

Oh and I'd like to give Mr. Eryk Davis Ester a big shout out for making this post happen.

MLLASH #774449 06/09/13 04:38 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Er... I just helped him find he thread, and have no responsibility for current attitude towards comics! wink

MLLASH #774452 06/09/13 04:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
mmm hmm just like you had nothing to do with that crumbling column!

MLLASH #774457 06/09/13 04:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
hmmm Is EDE's super power way out of whack and bringing down DC?!?!?!?

MLLASH #776050 06/17/13 11:24 PM
Eager Young Space Cadet
Eager Young Space Cadet
I don't think my love for comics itself is waning or over, but my love for the Big Two is definitely diminishing.

The Nu52 was a mess even before the Legion cancellation. The Flash is the only other title I'm reading. This upcoming villains month with all the variant covers just shows hoe desperate they've really gotten.

As for Marvel, I've lost all interest in their annual major events. With the news of the return of the Mighty Avengers title, that's 10 books affiliated with the Avengers as a group. That's insane. I just don't seem to care that much anymore.

As for Legion Archives, I would buy them, I want to buy them, but I feel soooo strange and slightly guilty paying 50 bucks for them. As EDE said, just have to check out various online deals/stores.......

"I have a ticket to the moon....but I'd rather see the sunrise...in your eyes"
MLLASH #776117 06/18/13 09:20 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I used to follow Legion, JLA and JSA with a smattering of Titans. I don't feel the love for DC anymore though. I'm just nursing my back issues now.

MLLASH #776171 06/18/13 10:53 AM
Active
Active
I still love the Legion, always will. I'm just not going to waste my money on other stuff that is here today and gone tomorrow. If DC can cancel a title with a 50 year history, then anything is one the chopping block. I'm just getting too old to invest in other short term titles. After Legion ends I'll start collecting the Legion Archives series. That way I can enjoy all of the Legion anytime I get in the mood.

MLLASH #776204 06/18/13 12:25 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Villains Month might be my jumping off point... Down to Fables, Fairest and Astro City from Vertigo. I've been buying Legion, Nightwing and Batgirl out of love for the characters, and JLDark has been the only New 52 I've enjoyed consistently... I dunno... sigh

MLLASH #776241 06/18/13 06:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Justice League 3000 press release = a lot of new posts in the "Am I over comic books?" thread!

frown

MLLASH #776252 06/18/13 09:34 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I think that, with the nature of serial comics over the last decades, sputtering in sales as they attempt event after event, and reboot after reboot, chasing sales numbers they will never recapture as long as they keep building their houses on evershifting foundations of sand, that I'm beginning to find that the only superhero fare that seems well-written and appealing to me is either animated shows like Young Justice or Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (both cut short for the same sorts of BS reasons that comics are failing), or the movies.

The printed comic book has been well and truly murdered as a viable platform by gross mismanagement.

Events and reboots. Events and reboots. It's all short term, at the cost of driving the long-term success of the medium into the ground.

It really feels like the only real raison d'etre for published monthly comics right now is to keep the characters fresh for the movie franchises. Like concerts, or music videos, back in the day, which used to be seen as a loss, more of advertising for the album sales, I think comic books as a profitable medium in their own right might be pretty much dead.

Set #776326 06/19/13 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Set
. . . I'm beginning to find that the only superhero fare that seems well-written and appealing to me is either animated shows like Young Justice or Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (both cut short for the same sorts of BS reasons that comics are failing), or the movies.

For those of you who like super-heroes and "real" books, check out the works of Michael Carroll. He clearly understands the Marvel/DC paradigm, and the Young Heroes series features teenaged heroes who would appeal to the Legion/X-Men/Titans fans among us.

The only thing missing is the pictures, and, believe me, you won't miss them.

(And, by the way, I've written my own superhero book, as well.)

MLLASH #776343 06/20/13 03:50 AM
Deputy
Deputy
The two times I stopped buying comics both followed periods of the unread pile growing (as Lash says in the first post in this topic years ago.)

Since the last time I've made do reading about comics instead of reading them directly. Seems to be enough, somehow. After you add in online communities anyway.

More fun to talk about the stories I actually liked here than to hope I'll like the ones coming out.

MLLASH #776366 06/20/13 07:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Im thinking of dropping comics for a bit ... i can get daredevil hawkeye saga manhattan projects and others via trade.

dosn't justify a trip to the store each week. amazon!

my local cbs is a corporate demon anyway. they mark up the variant covers and put them behind the counters.

frackers.

MLLASH #776516 06/21/13 08:46 PM
M
Applicant
Applicant
M
i was feeling the same....but i bought an issue of Brave and The bold starring Starman and Black Canary (and Wildcat in a cameo), which I had never read before.....and I realized with this 1960s story why I still read and love comics.

MLLASH #776562 06/21/13 11:10 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Emby, you forgot to tell us about the story! You can't just tease us like that.:)

MLLASH #776573 06/22/13 03:07 AM
in hiding
in hiding
Those two B&B issues, along with the two Dr. Fate & Hourman issues of Showcase are what got me interested in the Justice Society in the first place.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
MLLASH #776581 06/22/13 09:57 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I love those issues as well! The Fate / Hourman issue with Solomon Grundy has one of my favorite covers of all time.

MLLASH #779157 07/09/13 03:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
last time i went to the comic store i spent over 40 pounds!

I got some good stuff.

Hawkeye the dog issue. priceless.

Daredevil triumphs!

and more!

MLLASH #779160 07/09/13 03:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well... drat.

I was over comics. I hadn't really bought anything new since shortly after the "new 52" started, but then I just read that Neil Gaiman and J.H. Williams are doing a new Sandman mini this October. Damn you, late 80's nostalgia... damn yooooooooou!

MLLASH #779162 07/09/13 03:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm gonna race you to the CBS for that one!

MLLASH #779163 07/09/13 03:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Actually, I might try to wait for the trade ... might enjoy reading it that way better.

MLLASH #976686 09/11/19 01:48 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
There are artists whom I used to automatically buy any comic they drew.

Until several months ago, Steve Epting was the last holdout of my personal artistic pantheon (not counting the artists who are inactive, retired, or deceased.) Then I stopped buying the Action Comics storyline that he was drawing after only the second installment -- not because there was anything wrong with his art, but because it was announced *after* the storyline had gotten rolling that it was basically the prologue to a DCU event storyline (Leviathan Something else or Something else Leviathan, I don't remember anymore and *I don't care!*)

Now? DC has just announced an upcoming event storyline spinning out of a bunch of *other* event storylines, and...Steve's the artist on the event's core book!

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dcs-year-of-the-villain-leads-to-hell-arisen-by-tynion-epting/

There was never any question that I was going to give this one a hard pass, but to have Steve drawing it adds insult to injury.

And let me make it clear, I'm actually happy for him that he finally got an event storyline gig, and I hope he makes lots of money out of it. He's a great talent who has paid his dues.

But it wasn't that many years ago that I *would* have bought any event storyline's core installments sight unseen if they had been drawn by Steve. Shit, I'd have bought it even if it had been an earlier DCU event, and it's no secret how much I have come to dislike the modern DCU over the past 10 years or so.

Now? I just don't care anymore.

I've never felt older than I do right now.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
MLLASH #976687 09/11/19 02:57 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I'm not sure it's an age thing rather than a quality thing. After so many years of being served up with poorly conceived and executed Events (that impact the storytelling of normal issues), only an utter masochist would keep going back for more*. Nothing wrong with still liking the art (the strongest part of DC) but being unwilling to buy a book that you don't care for just to see it.

* he types while waiting for Millennium #2 smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
MLLASH #976691 09/11/19 04:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I too was disappointed with the relatively recent DC events such as Convergence and Dark Metal.

However, in defence of the current events, I am quite enjoying Leviathan so far. It is well written and well drawn, especially the Superman connections.

As for Year of the Villain I am unsure yet. The main instigator's motivations are setup in Justice League and I am finding Snyder's writing there to be a hard slog to work through. I know he has many fans, particularly amongst the batfreaks, but it isn't working for me.

MLLASH #976702 09/11/19 05:18 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks, Thoth. And I, too, am tolerating Millennium in hopes of a half-decent Legion ongoing. smile But there is definitely a sense of event fatigue.

Which brings me to Stile's post -- to reiterate my position, *I don't care how well-drawn and/or well-written an event is anymore!* I just can't bring myself to care anymore. I'm glad that you still can, and that thousands of other people still can. Have a ball. Just don't expect me to join the festivities.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #976727 09/12/19 05:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Thanks, Thoth. And I, too, am tolerating Millennium in hopes of a half-decent Legion ongoing. smile But there is definitely a sense of event fatigue.

Which brings me to Stile's post -- to reiterate my position, *I don't care how well-drawn and/or well-written an event is anymore!* I just can't bring myself to care anymore. I'm glad that you still can, and that thousands of other people still can. Have a ball. Just don't expect me to join the festivities.

Fair enough. The events happen more than not just "because" these days instead of there being a good story to write, so I can perfectly understand you being sick of them.

Last edited by stile86; 09/12/19 05:34 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,415
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
crooow, DrJohnnyDiablo, sheer
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star