Roll Call
0 members (), 22 Murran Spies, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/25/24 11:29 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/25/24 11:26 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/25/24 08:03 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/25/24 06:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Marvel's sort-of LEGION: the GUARDIANS of the GALAXY
#501421 02/28/08 09:03 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally posted by Set:
To be contrary, the completely self-contained nature of the Korvac story was what appealed to me. It was an 'epic' story in that it had everyone in it, without being splashed across 24 comic titles for an entire year. In and done.
So was the Celestial Madonna saga. And unlike Korvac, it had a writer who understood writing technique.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#501422 02/29/08 09:34 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Though I usually agree with you on Avengers stuff Stealth, I do like the Korvac Saga a lot. I don't rank it higher than the Celestial Madonna Saga (perhaps my favorite era), but I do see the Korvac Saga as "good traditional super-hero fun" that incorporates a lot of characters in a way that they all stayed in character and dealth with a huge problem. Kind of like a huge, Michael Bay type flashy story that was entertaining for what it was.

I know you're not a fan of that entire era, but overall I like it as the subsequent era to Englehart's Avenger's run.

I do hate Secret Wars though laugh

I'll be looking forward to Marvel's new Guardians of the Galaxy because I've been enjoying their Annhilation series and the use of Marvel's cosmic world. Looking forward to more Star Lord, Gamora and the rest.

#501423 02/29/08 12:42 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Looking forward to more Star Lord, Gamora and the rest.
They had me at Adam Warlock... love laugh

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#501424 02/29/08 02:20 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Stealth:
So was the Celestial Madonna saga. And unlike Korvac, it had a writer who understood writing technique.
Never liked the CM saga. Mantis felt like some terribly Mary-Sue who'd been shoe-horned onto the team for that one arc, and then the story turned out to be all about her, in traditional Mary-Sue fashion. 'Let's watch the Avengers play Disciples to Mantis' Jesus storyline!'

Different strokes, and all that. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#501425 02/29/08 07:09 PM
I do see the Korvac Saga as "good traditional super-hero fun" that incorporates a lot of characters in a way that they all stayed in character and dealth with a huge problem. Kind of like a huge, Michael Bay type flashy story that was entertaining for what it was.
Fair enough. I don't like Michael Bay, either, but I certainly respect your opinion.

I know you're not a fan of that entire era, but overall I like it as the subsequent era to Englehart's Avenger's run.
Again, I respect your opinion. My main problem with the change from Englehart to Shooter (more specifically, the Shooter who was no longer a teenage prodigy on LSH guided by a hard-assed editor who was right most of the time) is what I'd compare to a gourmet restaurant getting torn down and replaced by a McDonald's. Ideally, there would be room for both (hey, I enjoy fast food sometimes), but there are, literally and metaphorically, a lot more McDonalds than gourmet restaurants in the world, and that can be frustrating.

And I have to add that I weep when I think of what an extended Englehart/Perez run would have been like. Perez was improving by leaps and bounds JUST at the moment when Englehart quit, and Perez's art on Shooter's stories, especially the Grim Reaper one, is beyond awesome.

I do hate Secret Wars though laugh
To stretch my metaphor, Secret Wars is third-rate fast food served with an extravagant but empty presentation.

Never liked the CM saga. Mantis felt like some terribly Mary-Sue who'd been shoe-horned onto the team for that one arc, and then the story turned out to be all about her, in traditional Mary-Sue fashion. 'Let's watch the Avengers play Disciples to Mantis' Jesus storyline!'
LOL This is why I love discussing comics on this forum. Even when I disagree with someone's point, the point is always well-made and witty.

Different strokes, and all that. smile
Yes, indeed. Long live Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities at Legion World. cheers

#501426 03/03/08 05:02 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
Originally posted by Pov:
[b] Looking forward to more Star Lord, Gamora and the rest.
They had me at Adam Warlock... love laugh [/b]
They had me at Rocket Raccoon! I'll totally be picking this up.

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
#501427 03/05/08 11:05 PM
Leader
Leader
"And I have to add that I weep when I think of what an extended Englehart/Perez run would have been like. Perez was improving by leaps and bounds JUST at the moment when Englehart quit"

LYNCH CONWAY! LYNCH CONWAY!!!!!

"and Perez's art on Shooter's stories, especially the Grim Reaper one, is beyond awesome."

Oh, yeah-- the Grim Reaper story always stick out in my mind as the VERY issue where I suddenly realized, "Hey! George didn't make any drawing mistakes this issue!" (What ever happened to "earn while you learn?")

#501428 03/05/08 11:08 PM
Leader
Leader
Speaking of the end of the Englehart run... here's something I just sent a friend in an e-mail earlier today...

Only 2 writers have ever done Moon Dragon right, to my way of thinking-- Steve Gerber (who wrote her early appearances in DAREDEVIL-- of all places) and Jim Starlin (her creator, she was supposed to debut in IRON MAN but showed up in DD instead). Both showed a sensitivity that, apparently, EVERYONE else missed. Steve Englehart, who usually did such stellar work, set her on the path toward being arrogant & conceited. After that, other, lesser writers used that as a jumping-off point, and every appearance she made she kept getting worse! It's disgraceful, and the sort of thing that happens all too often in "corporate-owned" characters. Many years later, Starlin wrote her in a graphic novel, and for the first time in 20 years, she was written "right" again. I think some characters should ONLY be written by their creators...

#501429 03/06/08 07:06 PM

#501430 05/14/08 05:55 PM
Well, the first issue sure LOOKS good, although it would look even better if Pelletier were matched with a more appropriate inker.

The non-stop banter really grated with me, though. I like my space opera with more gravitas. DnA should read some back issues of Dreadstar so they can see how to get the balance just right.

#501431 05/14/08 06:21 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Stealth:
Well, the first issue sure LOOKS good, although it would look even better if Pelletier were matched with a more appropriate inker.

The non-stop banter really grated with me, though. I like my space opera with more gravitas. DnA should read some back issues of Dreadstar so they can see how to get the balance just right.
I agree with you about the banter. and the debrief scenes seemed to me like a parody of those reality show backstage interviews. but maybe that's the tone they were going for.

#501432 05/14/08 06:47 PM
It's possible. I haven't noticed that tone in any of their previous work that I've read, though. Maybe the editors are imposing that tone on them. After all, Marvel has recently been turning back the clock to all the bad things and none of the good things about the early 90s. There was some annoying, self-consciously goofy cosmic stuff being published back then, for sure.

#501433 05/15/08 07:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm not familiar with the characters, but I am with DnA's work. It was a fun read for me. They managed to add a little humour while introducing the cast. I'll certainly be giving this a try.

Just spouting off.
#501434 05/15/08 07:27 PM
A second reading reveal a couple good points I'd overlooked:

- This is the first time since the 90s that I've read a new story with Adam Warlock in it, and I think he's MUCH better-written here than during the 90s -- back then, he was a dour bore; and even though he's still quite serious here, he's the most likable character because of that; it also helps that he's the only character who understands the seriousness of the state of the galaxy, while the rest of the team uses flippancy as blinders to hide behind.

- The out-of-control rifts to other realities that Adam Warlock talks about is a concept that has GREAT potential, and this is the first time that a Marvel comic is exploring this since, ironically enough, the early 90s -- so I was wrong, this comic has brought back at least ONE of the good things from the early 90s.

#501435 05/25/08 01:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I quite enjoyed it. I liked the different narrative structure of having the characters comment on their thoughts about joining.

I was glad to see a Groot rootling growing under Mantis' tender care. And seeing the green one herself, even with an ominous comment to keep us reading.

She's called 'menat' here. Has that word been used in sci-fi trappings other than DUNE before? Or did it precede Frank Herbert?

I really like Cosmo and the bizarre setting (HQ inside a Celestial's head?!!!). I hope they manage to introduce similar weirdnesses without veering into unrestrained jokiness.

Isn't there supposed to be some upcoming connection to the 'old' G of G? Or is that what the object in ice is all about?

Maybe this galaxy has a planet of the red-crested people that Yondu comes from? And a crystallized being like Martinex... and a flame-haired chick (Frankie Raye?)... and a density-muscled dude from a heavy gravity world...

I think Starhawk's been mentioned-- too bad that's the character from the old G of G I'm interested in the least.

#501436 05/25/08 02:00 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
One of Yondu's people (Yondu was the only non-human-derived GotG member) appeared in Annihilation: Prologue as the Nova who got most screentime out of the doomed Corps (except Rich himself, obviously).

And that's what the object (and possibly the holder) in the ice is about, ja.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#501437 05/25/08 02:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Really? Thanks, Reboot. That's good to know. What was that character like?

#501438 05/25/08 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
a flame-haired chick (Frankie Raye?)
No.

Her name is Nikki.

Frankie Raye was one of the heralds of Galactus; she used the name Nova; not anymore, obviously; she's dead, I think.

#501439 05/25/08 08:53 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Reread what ML actually wrote, Stealth. He didn't say Nikki WAS Frankie Raye. He was looking for a bunch of present-day analogues of the GotG.

Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Really? Thanks, Reboot. That's good to know. What was that character like?
I.... can't remember. It's been something like six or nine months since I read it. The only thing I remember about her offhand was a line that went "If we survive this, I'll mate with you. For life" line at Rich for suggesting they go through the middle of the thing that killed the Corps rather than try & fail to go around. A few panels before she got her head knocked off.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#501440 05/25/08 09:24 PM
My mistake. As I've shared on Mission Monitor Board, I'm in a really bad mood tonight and it's affecting how I read and how I post.

#501441 05/26/08 08:17 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
hug Stealth...

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#501442 05/26/08 07:45 PM
Thank you, Pov. You're such a sweetheart. hug

#501443 05/27/08 10:06 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
HQ inside a Celestial's head, eh? Hmmm... I might have to get this if it isn't sold out.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#501444 06/11/08 04:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This was a good, fairly dense read. Iwasn't familiar with the characters (apart from some names), but that wasn't a problem for following the story. A good mix of different personalities. The debrief log panels worked well to identify the characters - much better than the repetitive ID tags in the Legion comic - and fill in the story.

Usually, talking animal heroes are pretty corny - but I actually liked Rocket Raccoon and the ex-communist dog Cosmo.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501445 06/18/08 10:46 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
FINALLY got and read #1 after somehow missing it when it first came out. Totally loved it. I've been praising and enjoying the two Annhilation minis and the Nova ongoing for quite awhile so I figured I'd like this, and I certainly wasn't dissapointed.

There's a lot of characters to get to and this was an introductory issue, so I'm really excited for the book to pick up speed.

I've come to really enjoy all the characters featured, particularly Gamora, StarLord and Rocket Racoon. Mantis too, and I hope she continues to appear in her own odd way. Great to see them all continue to interact and the odd relationships and histories they all have with each other.

Really glad to see Nova show up and hopefully he continues to every so often (and vica versa). I really hope Ronan the Accuser does eventually, as I really was hoping he'd be a part of this team.

Knowhere is a great new concept and great to see it a permanent part of this series. Cosmo is fun when underplayed and I like the tension with RR.

Groot just rocks beyond all belief.

Glad to see Adam Warlock back as a major character here, and I like how DnA are playing him.

BTW, the credits should basically say "special thanks to Jim Starlin!" each issue I think.

Also, the art was nothing short of spectacular.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,943
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Renly Fox
Renly Fox
Captain's Cabin
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star