Roll Call
0 members (), 13 Murran Spies, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/26/24 06:57 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:51 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/25/24 08:03 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Marvel's sort-of LEGION: the GUARDIANS of the GALAXY
#501471 10/03/08 07:21 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
#5 was awesome. DnA is really shining here, and Pelletier's art is A++, its dark and moody and yet maintains the beauty of his style.

I love the way DnA has each character doing something interesting in every issue. It feels like this is the perfect amount of characters for them, somewhere between 7-11 heroes. Every one of them, from Warlock to Phyla to Peter to Drax is further advancing the plot while giving us character moments too.

They also continue to be the best sci-fi writers in comics each issue. This series continues to not only be one of Marvel's best but one of the industries best.

#501472 10/03/08 10:54 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Cosmo and Warlock had the best one-liners... lol

Cosmo: "Stay!"

Adam: "Bad dog." rotflmao

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#501473 10/10/08 10:21 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
GotG interview with DnA here: http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/printthread.php?t=45776

CXF: Excluding your current work, what one project are you most proud of? What would be a key piece of work which fans could check out to get a sense of your writing/storytelling style?

DnA: Probably our run on Legion of Superheroes
And preview of #6: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=1186&disp=table

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#501474 11/06/08 12:21 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
New DnA interview, including some preview pages for #7 (Groot's BACK!): http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18710

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#501475 11/06/08 10:15 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I just read #s 5-6 and I can't recall any 2 new issues of any series read back to back that I've enjoyed more, except maybe Walking Dead.

DnA are going with some tried and true formulas and totally pulling them off...

Love that Cosmo wasn't a traitor, love the twist with the pacifist Skrulls, love the old "breakup after dark secret revealed" and I'm sure to enjoy the "all-new all-different" apparently coming next issue (hopefully temporarily unless they totally rawk).

LOVE all the snappy one-liners. Cosmo deserves his own series.

Completely unexpectedly, GotG has entered... my personal top-5 favorites!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#501476 11/11/08 07:37 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lash, trust me, wait until you see DnA do Groot. I predict he'll be the breakout star of #7-12.

Have I mentioned how much I love this book? Anyone reading this and not reading Incredible Hercules, allow me to direct you to Marvel's other FREAKING AWESOME comic book.

#501477 11/16/08 11:50 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I remember speaking to Jim Valentino when Marvel had offered him GOTG, he had really wanted to do the Legion and had inquired repeatedly and as I remember I believe there was some sort of bad blood between Mark Waid who apparently had the final say and Jim, it's a damn shame though cause Jim is a hell of a storyteller. A real fan, I think he would have done us all proud and I think alot of our former readers would still be around, Props to you Jim, the Legion has always been my fave but I'll have to say that I don't think I've read any of your stuff that I didn't like. Hears to a Legion that we can all be proud of, C'mon DC show us that disrespecting 50 years of fandom can be put behind us and give us a regular book with the talent that is being put into the Crisis of Three Legions. Sincerely Dirk Morgna

#501478 11/23/08 10:53 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
DnA are making GotG my favourite Marvel book right now.

Just spouting off.
#501479 11/27/08 09:26 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Of "No Future"

In Which a Prisoner is Interrogated, a New Team is Formed, Gamora has Healed, Adam Warlock decides to Effect a Hostile Takeover, a Resurrection is Teased, some Badoon make a Move, and Star-Lord Bows before a King.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">More detail... </span><span class="spoiler_text">I quite liked the issue, but didn't love it - though I'm very glad to FINALLY get some idea on WTF is up with Starhawk. Less than keen on any hints of Moondragon's resurrection - and the parings feel odd, since I would have sworn Phyla would be the one to hook up with AW, and Gamora with Drax.</span></span>

My overall feeling is one more of "I'll see where this goes" than "YEAH!"

#501480 11/28/08 10:58 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Until now, I had been less enthusiastic about this book than a lot of other people on the web. Starting from an iffy first issue, the series improved quickly, but I kept waiting for an issue to explode colorfully across the corners of my mind, the way great space opera should.

Well, this is that issue!

And with it, GotG has finally metamorphosed from a good comic to an OUTSTANDING one!

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">With the team members having (temporarily?) gone their separate ways, Rocket Raccoon leads a pickup team (Mantis, Major Victory, Groot, and Bug) into battle against escalating threats from the Badoon Empire, the same empire that, as Starhawk explains to Cosmo, will conquer the galaxy in the distant future. Meanwhile, we get vignettes of the other team members’ activities, climaxing with Star Lord ending up in the Negative Zone domain of Blastaar.</span></span>

The way each big development tops the one before it, and the way all these visual and conceptual treats are compressed into a single issue, is the type of thing rarely seen from Marvel comics since the Silver Age. Kudos to Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning, who are now officially my favorite current Marvel writers.

Paul Pelletier is the perfect artist for this sort of thing, and he more than rises to the occasion, with some of the best single-page and double-page splashes to ever grace a superhero comic. The double-page splash of the Steve Gerber-era Guardians, in particular, should give goosebumps to any serious GotG fan.

The only thing I didn’t like was the hint that Drax’s daughter Moondragon is alive, because I have always despised Moondragon and was very happy to find out she had snuffed it in Annihilation: Conquest, which I haven’t read.

Ah, well, this is still the kind of comic book issue that renews one’s faith in superhero comics.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#501481 11/30/08 05:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Loved Cosmo, Bug, and the flashback to the original Guardians. All the stuff featuring the main current cast was fun and well-illustrated.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy appearing on the last double-page spread, which received quite a build-up, so the issue left me feeling just a bit flat. Just a bit, mind you.

#501482 11/30/08 06:10 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
This book could be renamed 'Cosmo and Rocket bicker for 22 pages' and I'd buy it.

Cosmo is my new favorite Marvel universe character, ever.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#501483 01/18/09 01:10 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Well, some people here are going to LOVE Star-Lord's "redesigned costume" wink

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=1875&disp=table

#501484 01/18/09 04:37 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, at least Blastaar left him something. Who knew cosmic superheroes could be modest?

I thought it was interesting that a blurb at that link praised "Rocket Racoon and his gang". The Racoon is certainly one of the highlights. I was happy to see him get lots of panel time in the last two issues, and some of the better lines.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501485 01/24/09 09:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So there's almost a reunion this issue. Rocket has the chops for both team leader and team comedian. And the next issue blip suggests he may even take on team badass as well.

Just spouting off.
#501486 01/25/09 12:53 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I read 8-9 last night...

Missed Pelletier but the new guys are pretty good too. No harm done there.

The LOL moments kept on a-coming as did the action and suspense. DnA could teach a comicbook-team writers workshop based on their GotG.

Yeah, you're Groot, and you're fabulous!

Bug raises the total of green members once again! I think an all-green issue should come after WoK!

GotG is without a doubt my favorite superhero book now, proven last night as 8-9 were the last books I read before THE WALKING DEAD (which holds favorite comic category).

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#501487 01/25/09 06:02 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Giffen and now DnA have given Bug a really cool kind of role here. He's like the loveable, "pretty" reliable buddy who may not be the most effective or greatest teammate, but he's good to have around. At least that's how I'm reading it.

I like the comment about how DnA could give a workshop, Lash. Its absolutely correct. They're doing the same with Nova on how to handle a solo character in his own comic.

#501488 02/10/09 04:56 AM
Leader
Leader
There's a very LoSH-ish appearance of the GotG in The Age of the Sentry #5, just in case everyone isn't aware of it already.

And here's a preview of the issue:

http://tinyurl.com/cr689m

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#501489 02/11/09 09:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
How has the Sentry series been? I've been curious about it, haven't checked it out yet.

Has it touched on that retrofitted relationship with Crystal?

#501490 03/14/09 06:37 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#11 focuses on the recently killed/not killed? Destroyer and Phyla-Vell in the realm Oblivion where they encounter an absolutely bonkers Maelstrom and a sleeping(?) Dragon of the Moon.

Not much in the way of yuks here, but I found it compelling. I'm completely unfamiliar with Marvel's Oblivion, so I'm as clueless as Phyla with regards to their surroundings. I vaguely remember reading Maelstrom elsewhere, but with no detail. Was he always this nuts? Overtly nuts?

#501491 03/14/09 06:59 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
He was in fact quite nuts, wanting to bring about universal entropy in his last appearance (which, oddly enough, was in GLA: Misassembled, where Mister Immortal convinced him to kill himself, instead of the rest of the universe).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#501492 03/14/09 07:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks, Set!

#501493 03/18/09 10:16 PM
Substitute
Substitute
For a really great Maelstrom story look for Quasar 19-25. It shows you why he has a conection to the Quantum Bands.

#501494 03/25/09 05:01 PM
After the last issue, I was on the verge of dropping this book. The colloquial flippancy of Maelstrom's dialogue really grated on me. I prefer my cosmic villain dialogue fruity and overripe, the way that Maelstrom talked in his earlier appearances.

The new issue is good, though.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I'd heard that Wendell Vaughn had returned in Nova, which I don't read but which I know is also written by DnA. So it was a pleasant surprise to see him in GotG, AND to reclaim his power bands and the mantle of Quasar.

Not happy about Moondragon's resurrection, although I know some people will be happy. But Phyla-Vell's new status quo more than compensates -- death's new avatar in exchange for her lover Moondragon's life. Wow. The potential for storylines is awesome.</span></span>

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#501495 03/26/09 07:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
You might want to read this month's NOVA, Stealth...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> ... or maybe not, since Quasar gives the quantum bands to a dying Richard Rider, who becomes the new Quasar, possibly combined with the lightform Wendall? We don't know that yet, Richard/Quasar appears on the last page. </span></span>

I would've liked a breakaway to the rest of the cast, but I guess DNA were going for a claustrophic feel with the Oblivious Ones.

I thought the dragon was beautifully drawn, and I'm more glad to see <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Moondragon</span></span> back than you are.

Not sure about the ramifications for Phylla. It just seems another in a sequence of transition/transformations that don't seem intrinsic to the character at all.

Not enough Drax, I thought. Phylla has a moment with Mentor which I would've preferred were written with Drax. Oh, well.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,948
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Suddenly Seymour
Suddenly Seymour
Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star