Roll Call
0 members (), 17 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 04/30/24 08:55 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/30/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/30/24 04:40 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:47 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:46 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:46 AM
Annfie's Legion (and Non-Legion) fan art
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 11:08 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Marvel's sort-of LEGION: the GUARDIANS of the GALAXY
#501446 06/18/08 02:44 PM
Leader
Leader
I thought I'd re-post this here, as it seemed appropriate...

MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #18 -- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: "Earth Shall Overcome" introduces a new series by Arnold Drake & Gene Colan. A thousand years in the future, the Solar System has been colonized by Earthmen genetically evolved to suit each planet. A Jovian, "Charlie-27", is returning from a lone outpost, when he discovers his entire planet has been overrun by The Brotherhood Of The Badoon (introduced in SILVER SURFER #2). Using a matter-transmitter to get to another planet, he meets up with Martinex, a crytalline Plutonian, and together they travel to Earth, where they meet Captain Vance Astro-- a spaceman from the 20th Century who survived a thousand-year journey in suspended animation, and Yondo, a "primitive" alien who uses "yaka" arrows that obey his command whistles. Driven by rumors of a "free colony", they escape and band together, determined to create an uprising to free the entire system from Badoon tyranny.

When I first read Arnold's CAPTAIN MARVEL issues, I found myself wishing he'd been in on the creation of that series, as it might not have been so wrong-headed from the start if he had. I forgot he actually created his own sci-fi series for Marvel. Clearly, GotG is Marvel's "answer" to DC's LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES-- science-fiction crossed with a team of super-heroes. And with a typical "Marvel" slant, it's a "negative"-based, or "problem"-based series. There were a LOT of those in the 60's, from THE FUGITIVE to THE INVADERS and so on. Set up a premise, an overall "problem", and you have a big ongoing "epic". The problem with too many of these kind of series is, they often don't ever reach a conclusion to their big "epic". The problem with THIS one was, after this initial episode, it took another 5 YEARS before anyone touched it again! This probably had more to do with Drake's abrupt departure from Marvel a few months down the line. At any rate, Steve Gerber was the writer who finally picked up the ball, and eventually wrote some 13 comics with the GUARDIANS, from MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE to THE DEFENDERS to their own series in MARVEL PRESENTS. The "Earth under control of aliens" plot would get reused in Marvel's KILLRAVEN / WAR OF THE WORLDS in AMAZING ADVENTURES-- and that series is still left hanging, unfinished!

Mike Esposito does a fairly nice job on the inks... but compared to some of the inking Gene Colan had been getting around this time (Jack Abel, Frank Giacoia, Joe Giella, Vince Colletta, George Klein, Bill Everett, TOM PALMER) it seems 2nd-rate.

#501447 06/18/08 03:38 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
I see Cobalt's as behind as ever, since he got #1 just in time for #2 to come out... smile

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">GotG #2 SPOILERS</span><span class="spoiler_text">So, Major Victory then. There's at least two weird things about this even BEFORE you consider the points the team itself picked up:
1) He introduced himself as Vance Astrovik. While technically correct, has futureVance ever introduced himself as Astrovik rather than Astro? Interactions with Justice notwithstanding.
2) The timeframe. He's got the Shield. He's in his classic containment suit (confirmed by Mantis, it seems) rather than the Venom-copy or his Cap-alike costume. But he didn't take the codename "Major Victory" UNTIL he dumped the containment suit.

This is before you consider Gallagher's clusterfrak that ended GotG v1, which included Vance giving up the Shield.

If this isn't a setup, as the team themselves suggest, this doesn't seem to be the Vance Astro we're familiar with (and there is, of course, the question about whether Starhawk's upcoming appearances were a fakeout, or if it's in addition to Vance). Skrull? There IS a Secret Invasion arc coming up...

Love RR's enthusiasm for "Guardians of the Galaxy" though, even if they're not even based in *A* galaxy smile </span></span>

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#501448 06/18/08 08:32 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
When I bought it Tuesday the guy at the CBR said "you know the second one comes out tomorrow, right?"*. So I had to read it and rush to get my review in before it did. laugh

*This was at Midtown Comics near Grand Central Station in Manhattan (not the one in Times Square). No one at this board works there, right? Because I had a cool conversation about DnA's Legion with a kid a little younger than me, and it'd be interesting if that young lurker ended up having a conversation with the legendary Cobalt Kid.

#501449 06/18/08 09:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I enjoyed #2 quite a bit. GROOT AND THE BRANCHES was one of the suggestions for the team name! Ha-ha-ha! Guess who made came up with that one.

Lord, the tree and Rocket Raccoon make me wish DNA had brought some of this fun to their stint on the Legion. These two characters scream LSH member drive to me. RR is weirded out by Cosmo! Snicker.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> About Vance Astrovik-- do you think Justice, the character's 'current' time, regular MU self, will appear in this title? Or will he be avoided like Celestial dandruff? The uniform, the name he uses and his general befuddlement add up to suspicion justification. Gotta admit, it's a heck of a hook, though. </span></span>

Mantis- I read somewhere that she has a normally colored 'other-self' existing somewhere else in the galaxy (Pama?) Is this correct? Just when did she turn green? The concluding chapter of the CELESTIAL MADONNA saga, the one in a miniseries a couple of years ago, featured her as green, I believe.

When did she become an out-and-out telepath and precog? Is that a new interpretation of celestial awareness?

#501450 06/19/08 06:43 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It is a fun read, I'm liking almost all over the characters. Gamorra doesn't excite me, but seeing sweet Phyla mixed in with her makes for a good contrast.

Peter and Adam have a good relationship, I like the Kirk/Spock aspect of it all, and it's the one I like the most.

ML, you're right about RR. He's a riot. I want to see stuff blow up just so we can see more of him.

Just spouting off.
#501451 06/19/08 12:42 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
DnA interview/unlettered preview @ Marvel's site: http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4014.Guardians_of_the_Galaxy

Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Mantis- I read somewhere that she has a normally colored 'other-self' existing somewhere else in the galaxy (Pama?) Is this correct? Just when did she turn green? The concluding chapter of the CELESTIAL MADONNA saga, the one in a miniseries a couple of years ago, featured her as green, I believe.

When did she become an out-and-out telepath and precog? Is that a new interpretation of celestial awareness?
She became green permanently when she reformed (long story) in the Avengers: Celestial Quest mini a few years back. She was tossing energy blasts around in that as well, and I think that's where Giffen picked that up from.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#501452 06/25/08 07:24 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Huh. I never did finish that mini... That was Englehart's return to his earlier Avengers plotpoints, right? I remember being so disappointed in that mini I stopped reading with #3, and never bothered ordering past #5... puke

Whatever, DnA are handling her well here... enough to make her tolerable. Her spacey "I know what's coming but can't tell anybody" could get to be annoying if overdone... sort of a reverse-Layla from X-Factor.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#501453 06/29/08 12:36 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Based on what I've read here, I picked up GotG 1 and 2.

Liked them. I'm onboard.

Instant favorites: Rocket Raccoon and Cosmo.

While reading, I was all, "maybe Moondragon could show/join up!" then I got to the panel with her grave. Oops. I didn't follow any of the space-themed minis that begat this series so I didn't know.

The last I saw of Gamora, Drax and Warlock was in the Infinty Watch series, and I remember absolutely nothing of that book if that tells you anything. So I feel like they're all new to me here.

The Mantis I love best will always be the Vietnamese martial artist Avenger, but this green one with all her celestial madonnaesque powers seems groovy. Hmmm... might there be TOO many green-skinned members? Nah, I guess not.

Knowhere is a lot of fun.

DnA never had this much fun on THE LEGION and I wish they would have.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#501454 07/13/08 05:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#3-- whoa! Gamora! That was a heroic stand if I've ever seen one. Veddy impressive.

Starhawk has possibly the best name and 'coolest' visual of the old GOTG, but he just bores me silly. I'm not so enthused at his return. This Church of the Cosmos or whatever doesn't get my blood pressure up, either. They aren't completely beyond interest, either, though.

Not as much 'funny' this issue, which I miss- but it would have been somewhat out of place.

#501455 07/17/08 02:42 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Church guys are interesting to me because of their power - prayer-supported belief. I'd like to see that explored more - is that what it really is, or is that just the Church's cover story? If it's just belief fueling them, couldn't anybody conceivably access that power? (There should be an encylopaedia of wacky galactic churches in comic books.)

The genetic engineering gone wrong was a chilling idea. You've got to figure there could be quite a few experimental boo-boos to clean up in the galaxy, along with the rifts.

I had to look up the Dyson Sphere thing; DnA could have been making it up, for all I knew, but it's a pre-existing idea. Sort of a reverse Planet Hell (which wasn't DnA's Legion, but that's what first came to mind).

They've struck a good balance with the dog & racoon; more scenes could be wearing.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501456 07/17/08 07:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
DnA are introducing me to these characters, and they've done a fine job. I was actually worried for Gamorra in this issue (these guys did kill Wonder Man off in the 1st issue of FORCE WORKS after all.)

And Pelletier's art is some of his best yet. It's slick and full, detailed and energetic. He's a good pairing for the DnA script.

Just spouting off.
#501457 07/21/08 12:00 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
# 3 continued to be a good read.

I *do* think Mantis was taken down a bit too easily. I feel of them all she should be the one character that is nigh-invinclible. Precog abilities + super-martial artistry (now of space) = cannot be beaten.

Cosmo still rawks. I've pretty high hopes for that Groot treebranch thing too.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#501458 07/21/08 12:04 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Groot had some pretty hysterical (and one really awesome action) scenes in the Star-Lord mini-series. He and Rocket Racoon developed an odd sort of pairing that worked really well. This was of course done by our beloved Keith Giffen.

#501459 07/21/08 12:22 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
OhmiGAW, Giff space-rawks. He and DnA need to re-team for an arc on GotG.

#501460 07/21/08 12:24 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Agreed! They basically rebuilt Marvel's cosmic landscape these last two years! (With some further help, notably their editor, Andy Schmidt).

Groot's awesomeness may prove to be the greatest of them all in this series!

#501461 08/23/08 05:42 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Not much of the great and awesome Groot in #4, but there's a good bit more of Mantis. 'That one', it's revealed, subtly influenced the members of GotG to sign up telepathically. At the prompting of Starlord.

I would've preferred it if she'd done that under her own initiative, as being somewhat of a troublemaker is something that's been absent from the character since her greenifying ascension.

I hope the obvious doesn't happen; i.e. having either Cosmo or Rocket Raccoon as a Skrull (heavily hinted at, I thought). The new hereditary security woman (don't remember her name) would be my bet for Skrulliness.

They all but name Drax as a Skrull, so he probably *isn't* one. Vance Astro? Starhawk? Also, a bit obvious.

Not *quite* as enjoyable an issue as the previous three, but not bad. In fact, we get to know more about Knowhere, which is a good thing.

#501462 08/24/08 11:29 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Still enjoying as of # 4.

The first panel of the Rocket/Cosmo fued was way cute, but by the end I was worried. I don't want either character to be a skrull.... though Cosmo's continued ommision from the roll call page might be telling.

Looks like Mantis and Star-Lord are in for an ass-whupping from Drax.

#501463 08/24/08 09:35 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, finally caught up and all I can add at this point is this is now tied with DD and Cap as my favorite Marvel title.

Thus far, best DnA comic ever, and one of best in entire industry.

#501464 09/05/08 07:35 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Will they hurry up healing Gamora?! frown

She's WAAAY too hot to have her walking around looking like a bald scab... shudder

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#501465 09/07/08 09:31 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
<----------also a fan of green-skinned thong wearing Lady super-assassins

#501466 09/20/08 09:23 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#5- Don't let the cover fool you... Gamora's still healing.

Did Massdriver, Brightstorm and Impact (Cynosure's Xarthian Luminals- a team of security personnel?) remind anyone else of LSH-type characters? I could imagine them at a DNA Legion tryout... something we never saw, if I recall correctly.

A one-two punch of a pair of cliffhangers... 1) Cosmo is protecting some Skrulls. Is *Cosmo* a Skrull? Or a traitor? Are those he's protecting 'good' Skrulls? 2) Drax pushes the button that's going to kill everyone onboard Knowhere...

Preceding those 'hangers- there's some interesting character interplay between Mantis and Adam, between Gamora and Phyla and between Gamora and Peter.

Vance Astro intrigues me; Starhawk so doesn't (though she's got a great look, for all that I prefer the brighter-hued blue and gold the character once wore).

Highlight of the issue? I was tempted to pick the Groot line we couldn't read, but that prompted the reply 'not with my pants on'.

But how could I resist Cosmo telling the GOTG to 'Stay' as he exited? Ha-ha-ha!

#501467 09/27/08 03:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Could someone recommend some backstory issues on these characters? I saw in #4 they referenced Nova. (I won't get #5 until next week.)

Cosmo's a great character for a security chief. Who better understands obedience than a well-trained dog? I hope he's not a Skrull, but that might explain some of the antipathy between him and Rocket Racoon.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#501468 09/27/08 04:16 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Could someone recommend some backstory issues on these characters? I saw in #4 they referenced Nova. (I won't get #5 until next week.)
Cosmo, before this series, only appeared in Nova #8-9 (of his current series).

Rocket originated in an 80s miniseries (recently reprinted in Annihilation Classic), and had a few bit-parts before vanishing for 15-odd years until Annihilation: Conquest - Star-Lord & Conquest-proper.

Star-Lord vanished for even longer - he appeared in various one-shot stories (with an origin by Steve Englehart, but mostly by Chris Claremont & Doug Moench) in the 70s Marvel magazines, and then didn't appear again until Giffen's Thanos #7-12 (there was a 1997 Starlord miniseries, but with a different character in the title role), and then subsequently in Annihilation #1-6 and much of Conquest (the Prologue, his mini and the main series).

Drax got recreated in a miniseries just before Annihilation. It was TPBed, and it was also included in the first Annihilation TPB.

Phyla's basically only appeared in Captain Marvel v4, Annhilation #2-6 and then most of Conquest (including her own mediocre mini, by Christos Gage).

Groot's a 1950s monster character Giffen was trying to bring back on and off for years, and he finally stuck in the Conquest Star-Lord mini.

Vance Astro & Starhawk are both long-time Guardians of the Galaxy characters (although how much THIS Starhawk has to do with that one is less than clear).

Adam Warlock & Gamora, I'll leave to Pov; and someone else can do Mantis ;p

#501469 09/27/08 06:51 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Mantis, created by Steve Engelhart, first appeared in the early 70s in Avengers. Over the course of about two-dozen issues, including three Giant-Sized Avengers specials, she evolved from a martial arts mistress with a seedy past into a Celestial Madonna destined to give birth to the Celestial Messiah. Due to conflicts between Englehart and Marvel, she came and went over the years with an increasing amount of baggage, including a "death." Her last appearance before Annihilation: Conquest was, as far as I know, the 12-issue maxi-series Avengers: Celestial Quest, which was the last time Englehart wrote her. Lucky girl, DnA are guiding her destiny just fine (I think GotG has improved a lot over just a few issues.)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#501470 10/03/08 02:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks for the input, Stealth & Reboot. I could do without the Celestial Madonna stuff; Mantis is an interesting character now, so perhaps it's best for me to not dig into her past issues. Looks like Starhawk is following the same pattern of changing. Looks like Annihilation is the easiest route into the backstory business.

Got #5. Cosmo is one of the few talking animals in comics that has a credible and important role in a story. He still acts a lot like a dog, unlike Rocket Raccoon, who is really just a human in raccoon form.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,010
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blacula
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
rokk steady
rokk steady
Prague, Czech Republic
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star